Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 24, 2014 3:58 AM

Oct 2013
Just read the English translation of the damn Fate Visual Novel!!
It's SO much better. The anime is so mediocre... It's stupid people ruin the story for themselves by watching something so bad.
Jan 24, 2014 4:58 AM
May 2010
@cristiankim93

If you dont want full explanations, Ill just leave it at there are very good reasons I recall off the top of my head for all of those but number 5, and number 9.

If you do decide you care enough for explanations pm me or something, technically its all off topic here.

Also, for spoilers just put [ spoiler]text[ /spoiler] Without the spaces.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 24, 2014 6:31 AM

Jul 2012
You can just watch F/Z it's forgettable anyways so in the end you watch it for the action.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jan 24, 2014 7:52 AM

Jun 2009
Orsonius said:
You can just watch F/Z it's forgettable anyways so in the end you watch it for the action.

So, what exactly is the point in saying something like this, as though it were a fact, when it is more likely the OP won't see it as forgettable? It's fine to have an opinion, but please don't act as though your statement is true for everyone. Hell, to me, the action is the least interesting part of the series.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 24, 2014 8:27 AM

Aug 2009
Orsonius said:

Your hate for Gen and anything Type Moon is si strong that it is ridiculous.Not once did you stated why they are bad,not once tried to support your opinion.You just call them pretentious, uninteresting and other shit that, as far as vague statements go, really describe some of your fav series.

cristiankim93 said:
miereneronaile said:
cristiankim93 said:
Thanks for the suggestion, guys!
I watched Fate/Zero episode 1 and...wow, the characters! the way they're all connected with the Fate/SN characters made me want to finish FSN so i'm enduring it.
I don't really like to read VNs. I used to back in the day but they're just .. so long it's exhausting. That's just me, though. On episode 20 and Shiro went from a horrible horrible character to being meh so that's a plus. But man....I'm finding major plot holes EVERYWHERE!

Those plot holes, please believe me when I say they are probably not, and its just the adaption being a piece of shit adaption and the fact that there are 2(sort of 4) other routes that fill in a LOT of the shit fate doesnt explain.

btw, if you want them explained(assuming that they are actually things I can explain lol) I would be happy to do so /shrug.

@@@@@@ SPOILERS @@@@@@

ssjokgJan 24, 2014 11:43 AM
Jan 24, 2014 9:04 AM
May 2010
@cristiankim93

That reply by ssjokg has pretty solid answers for everything. you asked about.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 24, 2014 9:31 AM

Aug 2010
cristiankim93 said:
Hi all, I'm on episode 14 of Fate/Stay Night and.... doesn't really interest me. I want to watch Fate/Zero but i'm worried that I won't get some things if I don't finish Fate/Stay Night. What do you guys think?
Main reason this series isn't working for me is because of the MC. I really don't like him.

I felt the same way but finished Stay/Night first anyways. Going into Fate/Zero after Stay/Night made it so much better then going straight to Fate/Zero, because then I could compare the two and appreciate Zero more.
Jan 24, 2014 11:47 AM

Apr 2011
You don't need to watch Fate/Stay Night before Fate/Zero if that is what you are asking.
Jan 24, 2014 3:38 PM

Apr 2012
cristiankim93 said:
miereneronaile said:
cristiankim93 said:
I watched Fate/Zero episode 1 and...wow, the characters! the way they're all connected with the Fate/SN characters made me want to finish FSN so i'm enduring it.
I don't really like to read VNs. I used to back in the day but they're just .. so long it's exhausting. That's just me, though. On episode 20 and Shiro went from a horrible horrible character to being meh so that's a plus. But man....I'm finding major plot holes EVERYWHERE!

Those plot holes, please believe me when I say they are probably not, and its just the adaption being a piece of shit adaption and the fact that there are 2(sort of 4) other routes that fill in a LOT of the shit fate doesnt explain.

btw, if you want them explained(assuming that they are actually things I can explain lol) I would be happy to do so /shrug.

@@@@@@ SPOILERS @@@@@@
Sorry lol, I don't know how to do the spoiler button thing. No explanations are probably needed. Me just being picky.
1) When Berserker was about to kill Saber, he was going to slice her with the strength of hercules and decapitate her. But..Shiro takes the blow and he doesn't get cut in two? or crushed? 0% chance of survival.
2) When Shiro, Saber, and Rin fight the Mage and her master, the master had fists that shatter concrete! He punches Rin in the chest and she's okay. Should've died. Then Shiro can fight him with daggers when Saber couldn't with her sword. Shiro gets punched so many times and he's okay when the master misses one punch and BREAKS A FUCKING STONE PILLAR.
3) The Saber and Shiro clearly had sex part.... felt as if they had the conditions of "you have to be thrown off balance" and "you have to be making contact" as just a way to force sex in there -_-
4) Archer dying felt like they just wanted to avoid Shiro and Rin fighting to keep something of a 4-way love thing between Shiro, Saber, Rin, and Sakura going on.
5) Berserker had Rin and with his strength, he could've EASILY crushed Rin. But....of course he's not gonna do anything to her and just stand there all dumb and shit waiting to get cut.
6) Shiro and Saber killing Berserker's 7 lives with one blow? Bullshit. I don't care if it was an Excalibur replica. IT WAS A REPLICA.
7) Why did Saber suddenly have a visible sword? Did Shiro make it for her? If so, what happened to her other clearly better sword?
8) That mage servant just stands there and lets Rin knock out Sakura. She didn't interfere...which led to her plan being ruined....which led to her dying. Wow. How dumb.
9) and.....why is King Arthur a female? I'm just confused. Even in the flashbacks, the people say "he" but huh????

My memory is blur so I just going to answer the last question...because it's a Gal Game! actually they're thinking doing male King Arthur like everybody did (you can watch Fate/prototype, which based on first draft), but...you know now. And this girl King Arthur got kids and wife as well, who knows how she got them from. No explanation.
Jan 24, 2014 3:39 PM
May 2010
Pharos said:
cristiankim93 said:
miereneronaile said:
cristiankim93 said:

@@@@@@ SPOILERS @@@@@@
Sorry lol, I don't know how to do the spoiler button thing. No explanations are probably needed. Me just being picky.
1) When Berserker was about to kill Saber, he was going to slice her with the strength of hercules and decapitate her. But..Shiro takes the blow and he doesn't get cut in two? or crushed? 0% chance of survival.
2) When Shiro, Saber, and Rin fight the Mage and her master, the master had fists that shatter concrete! He punches Rin in the chest and she's okay. Should've died. Then Shiro can fight him with daggers when Saber couldn't with her sword. Shiro gets punched so many times and he's okay when the master misses one punch and BREAKS A FUCKING STONE PILLAR.
3) The Saber and Shiro clearly had sex part.... felt as if they had the conditions of "you have to be thrown off balance" and "you have to be making contact" as just a way to force sex in there -_-
4) Archer dying felt like they just wanted to avoid Shiro and Rin fighting to keep something of a 4-way love thing between Shiro, Saber, Rin, and Sakura going on.
5) Berserker had Rin and with his strength, he could've EASILY crushed Rin. But....of course he's not gonna do anything to her and just stand there all dumb and shit waiting to get cut.
6) Shiro and Saber killing Berserker's 7 lives with one blow? Bullshit. I don't care if it was an Excalibur replica. IT WAS A REPLICA.
7) Why did Saber suddenly have a visible sword? Did Shiro make it for her? If so, what happened to her other clearly better sword?
8) That mage servant just stands there and lets Rin knock out Sakura. She didn't interfere...which led to her plan being ruined....which led to her dying. Wow. How dumb.
9) and.....why is King Arthur a female? I'm just confused. Even in the flashbacks, the people say "he" but huh????

My memory is blur so I just going to answer the last question...because it's a Gal Game! actually they're thinking doing male King Arthur like everybody did (you can watch Fate/prototype, which based on first draft), but...you know now. And this girl King Arthur got kids and wife as well, who knows how she got them from. No explanation.

That was actually loosely explained and referenced in the VN. Blame Merlin or whatever his name is. Or she just yaknow, adopted someone.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 24, 2014 3:57 PM

Apr 2012
Forgetfulness said:
Pharos said:
cristiankim93 said:
miereneronaile said:
cristiankim93 said:

@@@@@@ SPOILERS @@@@@@

I think the practical reason is that they wanted the main Servant-Master pair to be a boy and a girl and originally Rin was supposed to be the MC or something. But having a male MC would probably be better so Saber turned into a girl

IIRC, Guinevere (Arthur's wife) was just a woman who took that role so that people would believe Arthur was a man. The children part was some weird futanari shit that Merlin caused

yep, for Gal's sake, we need a male MC.

I'm confused there's no one who likes Shiro? Not in this post?
Jan 24, 2014 4:10 PM
May 2010
I eventually liked VN shirou... It just took a while.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 25, 2014 12:02 AM

Aug 2009
Pharos said:
cristiankim93 said:
miereneronaile said:
cristiankim93 said:

@@@@@@ SPOILERS @@@@@@

Except that he asked why Arthur is a female even though they refer to him as a male.

Why Nasu made her like she because they thought it would sell more.Thank god it did.

short explanation:Mordred is a homunculus created by Merlin's joke and Morgan's plans.

And no they arent thinking of doing Fate/Prototype.What you saw was parts of the unfinished draft Nasu had when he dropped it to make FSN.

We dont actually now if any of the chars in F/P or the story is better than in FSN.

MAny like Shirou.That it isnt mentioned in every post doesny mean anything.
Jan 25, 2014 3:35 AM

Jul 2007
Whoever said SHirou is unlikeable or "as bad as shinji" is an idiot or did not play the VN.

Even if I disagreed with some of his actions in fate route, his inner monologue and character development really helped to relate, like and understand him as a character. And then UBW route he was just plain awesome.

NO ONE is as bad as Shinji Matou.

Also watching DEEN's fsn is counter-productive as it goes against quite a LOT of stuff in VN and fate/zero. I hope to gods ufotable's remake is good quality(or help me gods ufotable is dead to me and undeserving of ever touching eventual Tsukihime adaptation)

As for Prototype, Pretty much whatever the original plans were for the FSN VN with female protagonist, were used to make FSN vn prologue with Rin.
AhenshihaelJan 25, 2014 3:40 AM
Jan 25, 2014 4:06 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
Fai said:
Whoever said SHirou is unlikeable or "as bad as shinji" is an idiot or did not play the VN.

Even if I disagreed with some of his actions in fate route, his inner monologue and character development really helped to relate, like and understand him as a character. And then UBW route he was just plain awesome.
Saying that Shirou is as bad as Shinji is obviously very silly, but I would never say that Shirou was particularly likable per se either. I mean sure he had a reason for his warped personality but even if it's justified doesn't change the fact that he came off as really damn annoying a lot of the time with his almost sexist ideals about what men and women *should* do, and also his reckless behaviour just made him look more like an idiot than a hero.

But yeah fortunately he had pretty decent development over time, especially in UBW although I'd say that's more because UBW is awesome overall rather than being because of Shirou very much (loved Archer's role in it though).

OT: My most hated character in F/SN is neither Shirou or Shinji though, but rather Sakura in Heaven's Feel. She just came off as the most boring heroine ever given that she had to compare to Saber and Rin (or even Ilya if you want), and since HF is the last route it just felt like such a huge drop in quality, and I really had to hold myself back from skipping through all her lovey-dovey scenes. Fortunately she got a lot better after *that* happened but as a love-interest she's one of the worst characters I've ever seen.
Jan 25, 2014 4:58 AM

Aug 2009
HaXXspetten said:
Fai said:

Saying that Shirou is as bad as Shinji is obviously very silly, but I would never say that Shirou was particularly likable per se either. I mean sure he had a reason for his warped personality but even if it's justified doesn't change the fact that he came off as really damn annoying a lot of the time with his almost sexist ideals about what men and women *should* do, and also his reckless behaviour just made him look more like an idiot than a hero.

But yeah fortunately he had pretty decent development over time, especially in UBW although I'd say that's more because UBW is awesome overall rather than being because of Shirou very much (loved Archer's role in it though).

OT: My most hated character in F/SN is neither Shirou or Shinji though, but rather Sakura in Heaven's Feel. She just came off as the most boring heroine ever given that she had to compare to Saber and Rin (or even Ilya if you want), and since HF is the last route it just felt like such a huge drop in quality, and I really had to hold myself back from skipping through all her lovey-dovey scenes. Fortunately she got a lot better after *that* happened but as a love-interest she's one of the worst characters I've ever seen.

I missed the part where Shirou was talking about what men and women should do.I didnt miss the part where Saber is NOT any other woman, including Ilya,Rin,Caster,Sakura.She is the woman he fell in love with in a fraction of a second(in Fate).He isnt sexist for saying whatever he can in order to stop her, and only her, while letting any other girl do whatever she wants in any other route(including Saber in other routes).
Jan 25, 2014 5:15 AM

Jul 2007
HaXXspetten said:
I mean sure he had a reason for his warped personality but even if it's justified doesn't change the fact that he came off as really damn annoying a lot of the time with his almost sexist ideals about what men and women *should* do, and also his reckless behaviour just made him look more like an idiot than a hero.

Never saw him as being truly sexist. Whenever he would use such argument, it would be in situation where he was trying to justify his motives for trying to be the one to save others. Otherwise he had no problem with Rin teaching him and acknowledged her being outright better, for example.

The problem with Saber, and mostly Saber, is that Saber, just like shirou, is a protector, a blind idealist. And for Shirou being protected by someone pretty much equals death, because his sole reason to exist is to protect others, as a way to fill that void. Saber protecting him or being active there, is not a problem for him as a "man", but as "Shirou Emiya".

With Rin, while its still love, they are more like equal partners, because their clashing personalities balance out each other's bullshit. With Saber, its a race to see who can do it better, in order to reaffirm their raison d'etre.

Reckless behavior fits him as a character. he is not supposed to be a "hero". He is someone in search for meaning of his life, and without following that meaning, he might as well be dead, so threat of death in following that meaning does not really mean anything to him. He knows full well that ideal would not save and that he can die just the same as, let's say, Kirei can, despite their ideals and psychological state being the opposites(Kirei fulfilling living via malice to others unable to feel anything else, while Shirou fulfilling living via goodwill towards others, that being the only way he can feel emotions, being empty)
HaXXspetten said:

While fate shirou is less aware of his place in the world, UBW Shirou has a strong degree of Self-awareness, with his idealism balanced by Rin's pragmatism. However what we learn in fate is what contextualizes his struggle there. Its still the same reasons to relate to, just from a different angle.

HaXXspetten said:

I never even saw her as a "love interest" and more of an "important person". Sakura represents the cruelty of magi world and the consequences of the holy grail wars. And yeah, "that" also makes her entertaining and I personally find her mind and the way she justifies her actions fascinating.

Out of FSN I only truly ever hated Shinji and Zouken. Even fucking Tokiomi I can understand at some level. These two? N-O-P-E.
AhenshihaelJan 25, 2014 5:19 AM
Apr 3, 2014 11:19 PM
Nov 2012
Fai said:
HaXXspetten said:
I mean sure he had a reason for his warped personality but even if it's justified doesn't change the fact that he came off as really damn annoying a lot of the time with his almost sexist ideals about what men and women *should* do, and also his reckless behaviour just made him look more like an idiot than a hero.

Never saw him as being truly sexist. Whenever he would use such argument, it would be in situation where he was trying to justify his motives for trying to be the one to save others. Otherwise he had no problem with Rin teaching him and acknowledged her being outright better, for example.

The problem with Saber, and mostly Saber, is that Saber, just like shirou, is a protector, a blind idealist. And for Shirou being protected by someone pretty much equals death, because his sole reason to exist is to protect others, as a way to fill that void. Saber protecting him or being active there, is not a problem for him as a "man", but as "Shirou Emiya".

With Rin, while its still love, they are more like equal partners, because their clashing personalities balance out each other's bullshit. With Saber, its a race to see who can do it better, in order to reaffirm their raison d'etre.

Reckless behavior fits him as a character. he is not supposed to be a "hero". He is someone in search for meaning of his life, and without following that meaning, he might as well be dead, so threat of death in following that meaning does not really mean anything to him. He knows full well that ideal would not save and that he can die just the same as, let's say, Kirei can, despite their ideals and psychological state being the opposites(Kirei fulfilling living via malice to others unable to feel anything else, while Shirou fulfilling living via goodwill towards others, that being the only way he can feel emotions, being empty)
HaXXspetten said:

While fate shirou is less aware of his place in the world, UBW Shirou has a strong degree of Self-awareness, with his idealism balanced by Rin's pragmatism. However what we learn in fate is what contextualizes his struggle there. Its still the same reasons to relate to, just from a different angle.

HaXXspetten said:

I never even saw her as a "love interest" and more of an "important person". Sakura represents the cruelty of magi world and the consequences of the holy grail wars. And yeah, "that" also makes her entertaining and I personally find her mind and the way she justifies her actions fascinating.

Out of FSN I only truly ever hated Shinji and Zouken. Even fucking Tokiomi I can understand at some level. These two? N-O-P-E.

You may have hit the nail on the head. I would say that the other reason that Rin and Shirou worked well together was because they were equal partners with separate talents: Rin was much more adept with magic than Shirou and thus could fight from a distance while Shirou's talents make him suited for close combat. With Shirou and Saber, both were suited for close combat with Saber having the distinct advantage of being better in every way. Due to this, Shirou's need to protect comes off as much more stupid in the Fate route rather than the other two.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 13, 2008

86 by FedeMetal »»
Jun 26, 7:49 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 13, 2008

98 by FedeMetal »»
Jun 26, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ruzgfpegk - Jul 4, 2008

107 by FedeMetal »»
Jun 22, 7:07 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ruzgfpegk - Jul 3, 2008

136 by FedeMetal »»
Jun 17, 8:48 PM

Poll: » Fate/stay night Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Desian - Sep 14, 2008

104 by FedeMetal »»
Jun 16, 7:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.