Forum Settings
Forums
New
Apr 3, 2009 8:49 PM

Mar 2008
(Well it's still Springter for me :p Winter+Spring anyway)

Well Spring is bringing in a dozen new anime or so, and some I've been truly looking forward to.

I'm going to start with Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~

The latest anime from studio BEE TRAIN has had me on the fritz all year since the first announcement of the production. I watched the first episode Raw and will pick up the fan-sub before too long. After the exceptional disappointment of Blade of the Immortal it's good to see BEE TRAIN is back in the game with something that compliments them well. Having already produced there other heavy gunkata animes it was only fitting Mashimo be named director for this gun-fu show. What do I say?:
CHECK IT OUT!

The animation is probably the best I've ever seen out of BEE TRAIN including the special effects and CG Work (other than the helicopter explosion which no one seems to care lol)

The music is exceptional and probably even better than Hikaru's work on Chrono Crusade. I loved the opening theme, which had a real melancholy tune, the ending however was pretty average for Ali Project and a downright mediocre tune, completely discontent wildly arranged and outrageously sharp.

The pacing is comparably fast to something like Noir or MADLAX but doesn't go at hyper-speed. It's not afraid to take it's time for a little bit. The super stylish fights are impressive to say the least. This is a series that sadly may only last 13 episodes but the first episode has me hooked. You will notice many are saying there are the cliches, well yes, there are the "staples" of this genere. It is a thriller/mystery you are going to have some reoccurring themes. It's just how storytelling goes.

To come:

Pandora Hearts XEBEC
K-ON Kyoto Animation

ShadowBlazer3000Apr 11, 2009 3:20 PM
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 4, 2009 11:08 PM

Nov 2007
I'm watching Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~, Pandora Hearts, and K-ON!, too.

Are you watching 07-GHOST, too?
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 4, 2009 11:17 PM

Mar 2008
No I'm not, is it worth checking out?
Apr 5, 2009 2:34 PM

Nov 2007
Well, Miyu Irino (Syaoran from Tsubasa) is going to be in it (but he's doing minor character), and manga was good, too.
Apr 7, 2009 1:39 PM

Mar 2008
PANDORA HEARTS

Not bad but not great. Compared to something like Phantom this hasn't really grabbed my attention. The characters are cute looking and I love their personalities. The acting isn't so bad. I'm inclined to agree with most, the quality of the animation looks suprisingly low budget for Square Enix and XEBEC. Really Production I.G needs to throw a little money to their off spring company. Style wise it's a little like Elemental Gelade which was okay but not great.

Music is really nice as to be expected from Yuki Kajiura. The OP was alright but I've heard better from her and FictionJunction. Same with the ED.

I'll keep watching this because the plot has intrigued me enough.
Apr 7, 2009 2:15 PM

Mar 2008
K-ON!

Aaah the sweet joys of being in a high school club, really takes me back! :P

I really enjoyed this first episode. I loved the OP/ED Song and I love the characters, they're so moe! :D

The overall animation quality is surprisingly bad though for Kyoto

The story has it's hit and misses but it's a really fun little high-school story in the vein of Haruhi and Azumanga Daioh! Not bad will keep watching.
Apr 9, 2009 2:09 PM

Nov 2007
07-GHOST and Pandora Hearts are both interesting. (Both mysterious and because I read some manga)

K-ON! is very funny and cute. One of my fav. anime for the season.
Apr 9, 2009 2:11 PM

Nov 2007
Also, I think Miyu-Miyu did a nice job doing the proud character in 07-GHOST.
Apr 9, 2009 5:19 PM

Mar 2008
I think I'll give it a shot
Apr 9, 2009 11:33 PM

Feb 2008
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood ~ Comparing the first episode with the original's, it's obviously inferior but it was still alright. Instead of slowly edging the viewers back into the world of fma, they decided to say, "HEY LOOK AT ALL THESE DIFFERENT CHARACTERS. DONT YOU REMEMBER THEM" and of course bombarding the viewers with awesome action. I almost wept when I heard Paku Romi and Rie Kugimiya slipping back into their roles of Ed and Al. It's been far too long ;_;

Guin Saga ~ I heard this was an epic fantasy in the lines of Lord of the Rings and it looks like it won't disappoint in that respect. Very lush visuals and designs. The guy with a Leapord head and a man thong kind of made me LOL though. And god, the dialoge is so stitled and trite. Hopefully it'll get better as it goes along.

Phantom ~Requiem for the Spirit~: Hot damn! This is by far my favorite of the Spring Season that I've seen. I never thought I'd see the day that I was geninuely impressed by a Bee Train Anime but here it is. The artistry is very well done (somebody could of told me I.G. did it and I wouldn't of batted an eye) and the music is strangely stiring as well. My only concern is the story which worked alright for that episode but I can't see it being all that compelling for 13 episodes.

To be honest, I don't really care for watching series as they come out. I'd much rather have the whole series at my dispoal and watch the episodes at my own pace. So I'm probably only going to follow the three above and Higashi no Eden. Now that's a show I'm excited for~! The Op and Ed are nice at least.

(disclaimer: I'm beyond tired so i'm not going to be surprised at all if tommorow I wake up and find that this post is total incoherent nonsense. :P)
Apr 11, 2009 3:18 PM

Mar 2008
Higashi Eden of the East

I was going to avoid this show really for two reasons: The first line in the plot summary made it sound like it would be your umpteenth Neo-Tokyo Apocalypse Anime but before that I almost thought it was another Higurashi!

When the above ForlornHope linked the OP in her post I actually became intrigued and decided to give this anime a look see. Fortunately my expectations were wrong about this. This series is in fact NOTHING as I expected it to be. It almost reminded me of giant spoof of Noir, Ghost in the Shell and The Bourne Identity! It's really quite toung in cheek humor in the first episode alone which makes me wonder, how much more crazy can this get? XD Even in the craziness they have some great mystery atmosphere and some surely to be spectacular plot devices. I really can't wait for the episodes to come. I.G obviously gave this one hell of a budget because it is exeptionally well done. Best part NO ENGRISH in AMERICA! Really the first episode which takes place in D.C. actually has NATIVE ENGLISH SPEAKERS. That is just too flippen awesome! Like Phantom ~Requiem for the Phantom~ I've got a good feeling this is going to shine out against the cliches. Providing I.G didn't spend half their budget on this episode alone lolz. Another worthy watch this season.

Apr 13, 2009 10:36 AM

Feb 2008
Episode 2 of FMA:B coincided with episode 3 of FMA but with a major downgrade in the drama department. The latter if memory serves me right spent the whole episode fleshing out the mom while the former gave her two to three lines before she kicked the bucket. Burggh.. mixed feelings. I think I'll start enjoying this series more after they finish recapping the canon events that happened in the original Anime.

And ewww, the second episode of Phantom was a training episode. I don't like them in my shounen, sports Anime, or even my artsy fartsy mystery Anime. Still was an ok episode.

Higashi no Eden, while not being the best thing ever, met my expectations. This and Phantom are the series I'm looking forward to seeing more. Akira and Saki remind me of Morita and Yamada from Honey & Clover (they're in my avvy.. their hands at least :P) no thanks in part to Umino being the character designer. I was disappointed that they didn't hook up in H&C so this might act as a wish fullfillment.. maybe.

ShadowAlex said:
Providing I.G didn't spend half their budget on this episode alone lolz. Another worthy watch this season.

I.G. is no Gonzo, what you see in the first episode is basically what you'll see all the way through. Plus it's only 11 episodes (and a movie?) so that makes it even less likely.
ForlornHopeApr 13, 2009 10:40 AM
Apr 13, 2009 11:03 AM

Mar 2008
ForlornHope said:

And ewww, the second episode of Phantom was a training episode. I don't like them in my shounen, sports Anime, or even my artsy fartsy mystery Anime. Still was an ok episode.

I don't mind training so long as they don't spend 500 episodes doing it. Episode 2 didn't do much justice for me though, but maybe that's because I watched it raw (not great with dialog driven episodes) Still didn't feel like a cheap filler like some episodes of .hack//Roots and Tsuabsa felt. But the title of next week's episode has me worried ("Practice"? ut-oh)
ShadowBlazer3000Apr 13, 2009 11:06 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Q&A

ShadowBlazer3000 - Mar 18, 2009

4 by ShadowBlazer3000 »»
Dec 6, 2009 9:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.