Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 2, 2021 12:18 PM

Aug 2019
I’ve found this anime pretty slow but I have also really enjoyed watching it. I tend to usually enjoy fast-paced, action anime.

Spoilers-ish for later eps I suppose? Or maybe not. Idk.

Thoughts?
Sep 2, 2021 12:34 PM
Mar 2021
It’s a really good depiction of depression and real-world problems. The one that hit me the most was when Rei talks about being so good at something you dislike, being told you have to continue or you’re wasting potential, or something like that.
Sep 2, 2021 12:35 PM
Dec 2020
Pockeyy said:
I’ve found this anime pretty slow but I have also really enjoyed watching it. I tend to usually enjoy fast-paced, action anime.

Thoughts?
i could relate as well but its not depressing theres a lot of people who get used to as said by priestess in goblin slayer
Being human is making mistakes.
Sep 2, 2021 12:38 PM

Aug 2019
Nitroade24h said:
It’s a really good depiction of depression and real-world problems. The one that hit me the most was when Rei talks about being so good at something you dislike, being told you have to continue or you’re wasting potential, or something like that.
Yeah I so get that wtf! I literally spent the whole of last year taking 5 hours a week of a subject I hate because I was good at it. Both my parents and teachers put extreme pressure on me to keep taking it and straining myself when I didn’t need to. Then they’d wonder why my mental health was shitty. I’m finally dropping it this year but yeah, it really sucks.
Sep 2, 2021 12:39 PM
Aug 2021
Well it's a slice of life anime so yeah it be a bit slow. When the depression scenes appear they hit hard. I love how it showing that depression stops you from being happy when you almost reached happiness
Sep 2, 2021 12:44 PM
Feb 2021
This show is beautiful, but it is melancholy. The themes rang true to me on a personal level with mental health issues, so I found it to be special. But others won't be able to relate in thr same way
Sep 2, 2021 12:51 PM

Aug 2019
DoobieSam said:
This show is beautiful, but it is melancholy. The themes rang true to me on a personal level with mental health issues, so I found it to be special. But others won't be able to relate in thr same way

I think it’s these realistic impactful moments that keep me watching the show. I’ve even found myself laughing which has taken me by surprised. I thought I would end up rating this show a 4 or lower due to pacing but it’s starting to look more like a 7-8. One of the few slice of lifes that I have actually enjoyed.
Sep 2, 2021 1:02 PM
Aug 2021
It is a really good anime up there with others such as silver spoon which aren’t your typical subjects in anime but I’m really enjoying it and appreciating it
Sep 2, 2021 1:02 PM
Jan 2015
This show is my all time favourite anime. It resonates in me on such a deep personal level too even though i have no major issue at all going on. I just love the melancholy, the animation, the characters and shogi. This show is underated
Sep 2, 2021 1:37 PM
Feb 2021
Pockeyy said:
DoobieSam said:

I think it’s these realistic impactful moments that keep me watching the show. I’ve even found myself laughing which has taken me by surprised. I thought I would end up rating this show a 4 or lower due to pacing but it’s starting to look more like a 7-8. One of the few slice of lifes that I have actually enjoyed.

That's awesome. The animation and voice acting got a pretty high score from me. And season 2 is pretty amazing too
Sep 2, 2021 2:15 PM
Mar 2019
Pockeyy said:

Thoughts?

I would go kind of far as to say that this anime kind of saved me.
When I was in class 10 i was pretty much depressed.Was 16 at the time.I had no desire to study,hang out and always feared failure in tests,relationships and stuff like that..And couple with the fact i had no motivation to do anything (at times even today)i just felt like a waste of space.Like times i got invited to play soccer with my brother and friends and just get depressed playing because i just wasnt any good at it and didnt felt like trying anything and to be better at it.I guess the only thing i was good at was games and that was my only source of comfort.(Still is untill i do something about it but it kind of wont be happening soon..).Also had friends who i did hung out with alot but then relationships came into the mix and me,an idiot kid who wanted to give everyone the time they wanted,stayed away from friends in general and bit by bit i lost contact with some of them including my best friend at the time.
So considering how depressed i was,i needed to watch something sad to let it out i guess?
Come across March comes in Like a Lion and i really really cried.Not just cause ofbsome of the sad scenes but because of the main characters and their struggles especially Rei(i think was his name.Its been a while)that i related with.It hits home to me so much.The Struggles,the pain,the lack of motivation,the lack of love you give to yourself.I related with that so much.I honestly at times wonder how different my thought process would be if i hadnt watched this show..but im thankful to the author who wrote this and the team Studio Shaft for making this for people like us.:)
Sorry for how long this is.Guess i needed a vent..
Sep 2, 2021 2:28 PM
May 2021
It's my 1st slice of life anime & i actually enjoyed watching this.. Story is realistic , characters development & voice dub is also good.. Though you can say most of the time it shows how the characters are suffering from their own problem, that part is quite depressing..
Sep 2, 2021 2:31 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
Out of countless "drama" shows and movies I have ever watched, for me, Sangatsu stands out on top of them all and it is not even close.The sheer relatability factor of this show and the ability of the author to humanize the characters to the extent that I have never seen anywhere before makes this show the best thing to have ever aired on TV.

While the show has a plethora of "highlight" scenes, the subtle scenes where nothing out of the ordinary happens still amaze me as much. Ah, I still remember the impact that the scene where Shimada talks about his hometown with Rei had on me. The scene was nothing out of ordinary but that even that "nothing out of ordinary" scene made me resonate so strongly with him. I had to pause the episode and take it all in.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 2, 2021 11:49 PM
Jul 2020
Not everyone understands depression, and that is why not everyone understands this show. For people like me, this show was a coping mechanism. To realize that someone is going through similar things as me and still fighting with all they have gave me solace and the strength to fight my own battles, even if they're just a fictional character. Like someone said above, this anime saved me at the lowest point in my life.
Sep 3, 2021 12:54 AM

Jun 2020
Honestly this is one of the most realistic/grounded anime ever. Easily a masterpiece, and it gets EVEN BETTER.
HUNTER X HUNTER HAS RETURNED!!!!!!!
Sep 3, 2021 4:26 PM

Dec 2019
the depiction of depression and mental illness in this anime is unreal
Sep 3, 2021 9:10 PM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
zach293 said:
How so? Please don't say that you feel that because of your own relatability issues.
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Sep 3, 2021 9:40 PM

Nov 2019
zach293 said:

It's just because you have yet known how to define 'character'.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 3, 2021 10:29 PM

Dec 2019
cchigu said:
zach293 said:
How so? Please don't say that you feel that because of your own relatability issues.
no not at all, I just think rei’s character is amazing in the story and message they are trying to portray, this isn’t about me at all
Sep 3, 2021 10:30 PM

Dec 2019
cchigu said:
zach293 said:
oh by the way I meant “unreal” as good like so good it’s unreal LOL
Sep 3, 2021 10:31 PM

Dec 2019
SgtBaitMan said:
zach293 said:

It's just because you have yet known how to define 'character'.

probably shouldve worded what i said differently, meant unreal as good, like so good its unreal, not unreal as like not real lool. my fault
Sep 4, 2021 12:26 AM

Nov 2019
zach293 said:

probably shouldve worded what i said differently, meant unreal as good, like so good its unreal, not unreal as like not real lool. my fault

Agree. It seems that I also overracted. Sorry if it seemed offending.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 15, 2021 6:17 PM

Mar 2021
It's not only depression, I think. I think what makes this show/series so impressive is the way in which it depicts the full spectrum of human experience, melancholic when it needs to be, joyful and overflowing with positivity when it's warranted, and all throughout it is charming. And more than charming it is intimate: we know these people; we have been all of them at some point, or will be one day, or we know people who were or are. Umino Chica penned a masterpiece, and Shaft and Shinbou Akiyuki gave it their best in adapting it, and I don't think it's necessary to be mentally ill to relate to it. I think the people who dislike it or don't relate find other elements of the show alienating, like the pacing, or the art style, or even just the genre or subject matter.
Sep 30, 2021 4:47 PM
Nov 2020
I can relate a lot to this anime and Rei. The loneliness he feels is palpable. When he’s alone in his apartment and he hears every noise echoing. And when he’s so depressed he doesn’t have the energy to eat just sleep and sleep.

More topics from this board

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 3, 2016

163 by astoneon »»
Yesterday, 6:10 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 5, 2016

169 by astoneon »»
Yesterday, 6:06 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2017

78 by LotteGiants »»
Yesterday, 4:20 AM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2016

161 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 24, 8:32 PM

Poll: » 3-gatsu no Lion Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 22, 2016

157 by LotteGiants »»
Apr 21, 11:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.