Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 17, 2021 4:16 PM

Jun 2020
I was so hyped for this show because it was going to be a pure nuts to buts adrenaline rush fight scenes, but I was let down. Like really let down. There is no animation in this show. Only still frames being paned from left to right. I won't deny the art in the still frames looks pretty good. I won't deny that the music and the voice acting really good too. But, anime is anime because there is animation, which this show lacks a lot. This show is a PowerPoint presentation that just added color to the manga panel. I am really sad because this could have been a really good show from the first 18 chapters I have read of Record of Ragnarok.

I'm not an animation nerd that criticizes at every single flaw since a) I'm okay with passable animation and b) I don't need animators to overwork themselves. But, this fails to pass the low bar I have set, which jut goes to show how bad it is. I don't know how you can defend this adaptation?
Jun 17, 2021 4:31 PM

Nov 2019
Same honestly this shit was beyond horrendous. As a manga reader I was hyped asf for the Adam vs Zeus fight just to be bombarded by still frames and non existent animation. I don't understand how these type of projects get the thumbs up to be released.
Jun 17, 2021 4:33 PM

Jul 2017
I wasn't too hopeful just going by the PVs lol. They really couldn't sell this animation-wise and the drawings were really detailed. Had an awful feeling we'd pretty much be getting the static treatment lol.

Jun 17, 2021 4:38 PM

Jan 2019
There were two options in this case:

1- Use CGI or limited animation to keep the quality of the designs up as much as possible and then people complain about the stills.

2- Or do a lot more frames with more dynamic and fluid animation but losing most of the detail in the way and then people complain about "bad animation" because it has no detail.
Karnox001Jun 17, 2021 4:42 PM
Jun 17, 2021 4:41 PM

Aug 2019
yeah I’m just going to skip this shit, I saw some clips and man is it horrendous
Jun 17, 2021 4:45 PM
Jul 2017
Karnox001 said:
There were two options:

1- Use CGI or limited animation to keep the quality of the designs up as much as possible and then people complain about the stills.

2- Or do a lot more frames with more dynamic and fluid animation but losing most of the detail in the way and then people complain about "bad animation" because it has no detail.

The only rational person in these threads right here^ everyone just keeps crying but we can’t really have both high detail AND fluid animation at once. It’s either one or the other. And either way, people are gonna whine and complain that it isn’t fucking demon slayer or mob psycho levels of animation. As a manga reader I’m happy with what we got. Could it be better? Sure. Of course. But is it bad? Not at all.
Jun 17, 2021 5:05 PM
Feb 2021
The animation wasn’t an issue for me. My problem was that they dragged the backstory out so much it became fucking boring. Like who tf cares about these characters’ stories. Just give me the fights goddamn it.
Jun 17, 2021 5:25 PM
Dec 2020
The shit was ass lowkey.
Jun 17, 2021 6:55 PM
Oct 2017
Karnox001 said:

4. Redesign the characters with less details so they can actually be animated, not keep virtually everything. Sure, the detailed muscle shadings look cool, but do we really need that over animation? They could tone down shading, tone down certain part of the design. With a skilled character designer it should be possible to reduce the details while retaining or adding some cool stuff to keep the feel. That's not the same as having no details at all.
Jun 17, 2021 7:02 PM

Aug 2020
Karnox001 said:

the manga of one punch man and jojo are very detailed, and yet their adaptations are good and I have not seen anyone complain about the animation.
a wise user of MAL said:
Just to clarify, adaptations should absolutely stand on their own
Jun 17, 2021 7:19 PM
Jul 2017
EDOSHINRATENSEI said:
The animation wasn’t an issue for me. My problem was that they dragged the backstory out so much it became fucking boring. Like who tf cares about these characters’ stories. Just give me the fights goddamn it.

It was like this in the manga too though. Every fighter had a back story lol.
Jun 17, 2021 7:21 PM

Jun 2020
Phlaryx said:
Karnox001 said:
There were two options:

The only rational person in these threads right here^ everyone just keeps crying but we can’t really have both high detail AND fluid animation at once. It’s either one or the other. And either way, people are gonna whine and complain that it isn’t fucking demon slayer or mob psycho levels of animation. As a manga reader I’m happy with what we got. Could it be better? Sure. Of course. But is it bad? Not at all.

Where did I ask for high detail and fluid animation in my op. No where because I know that is not possible without overworking animators to death. You maybe happy with the adaptation, but most aren't. I would understand the usage of low frames such as the previous netflix adaptation of Way of the Husband or something like that since there is no action. But, the manga is built off to be a good fighting series, and if they can't translate that to decent animation in anime then it is a failure in my eyes.

To achieve this vison that so many fans of this series, we would need a comparable character designer, which the production was not able to find one. Had they found one, they would create character designs that capture just the right amount of detail while not being too taxing to animate. Just look at AOT season 1-3. While they were never able to encapsulate all the little design elements, they captured enough to make it look beautiful and make really cool action sequences.
Jun 17, 2021 7:23 PM

Jun 2020
Niello said:
Karnox001 said:

4. Redesign the characters with less details so they can actually be animated, not keep virtually everything. Sure, the detailed muscle shadings look cool, but do we really need that over animation? They could tone down shading, tone down certain part of the design. With a skilled character designer it should be possible to reduce the details while retaining or adding some cool stuff to keep the feel. That's not the same as having no details at all.

Exactly. It does not be a one to one of the manga. It just needs to be an adaption of the manga.
Jun 17, 2021 7:46 PM
Feb 2021
Phlaryx said:
EDOSHINRATENSEI said:

It was like this in the manga too though. Every fighter had a back story lol.

I just want more fights and less of the stories.
Jun 17, 2021 7:50 PM
Jul 2017
Niello said:
Karnox001 said:

This is a tough situation because I feel that if they made less detail with better animation people would still find a reason to complain that it isn’t faithful to the Manga’s artstyle somehow.
Jun 17, 2021 8:11 PM
Sep 2019
You guys suck. We all know that the fights in manga was nearly impossible to animate but the studio did their best in this. Honestly it's pretty good, It's just you guys expect something greater that made you disappointed. For me I'll give this 8/10.
Jun 17, 2021 8:30 PM

Apr 2020
Edgyson said:
You guys suck. We all know that the fights in manga was nearly impossible to animate but the studio did their best in this. Honestly it's pretty good, It's just you guys expect something greater that made you disappointed. For me I'll give this 8/10.

It was possible to animate every fight because it’s only one on one, The fight isn’t chaotic like Chainsaw Man or bloody hell like Berserk, There aren’t multiple people fighting like One Punch Man, there are only two. It’s definitely possible to animate it, it’s just that Studio Graphinica wasn’t up to the challenge.
Jun 17, 2021 8:59 PM

Mar 2015
Ok, I will take back all the bullshits i said about Kengan Ashura adaptation, at least they have a good animation for the figths, and that's what matters most for battle seinen or shounen.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 17, 2021 9:45 PM
Feb 2018
Edgyson said:

I think it didnt deserve 8/10, bcs seinen anime with great adaptation like vinland saga only 8/10
So record of ragnarok is only 5 or 6/10 for me
Jun 17, 2021 9:46 PM
Feb 2018
Karnox001 said:

There is 3rd option, no anime at all haha
Like vagabond and oyasumi punpun
Jun 17, 2021 9:50 PM
Sep 2019
firstawahono said:
Edgyson said:

I think it didnt deserve 8/10, bcs seinen anime with great adaptation like vinland saga only 8/10
So record of ragnarok is only 5 or 6/10 for me
I rate Vinland Saga 10/10. And I think it deserves the score.
Jun 17, 2021 11:40 PM
Oct 2017
Phlaryx said:
Niello said:

This is a tough situation because I feel that if they made less detail with better animation people would still find a reason to complain that it isn’t faithful to the Manga’s artstyle somehow.

It's not a black and white thing. A little increase in details like the unnecessary muscle shading mentioned before will allow room for better animation, but they didn't do even that.
Jun 17, 2021 11:55 PM
Jul 2017
Niello said:
Phlaryx said:

It's not a black and white thing. A little increase in details like the unnecessary muscle shading mentioned before will allow room for better animation, but they didn't do even that.

Yeah I feel they should have just saved the EXTRA details for when the characters are standing still but trying to preserve the details in motion probably wasn’t worth it. I wonder what the Japanese audience reaction was to this adaptation. I wonder if they think it’s as much of a disappointment as the west lol. I was a bit underwhelmed but I still enjoyed it. I even read the manga.
Jun 17, 2021 11:56 PM
Jan 2021
Pretty good for me but they skipped some stuff which didn’t sit right with me, the backstories were alright and interesting since I like learning about them, the fights were average and was expecting more from it since it was a “fighting” anime.
Jun 18, 2021 12:08 AM

Jun 2015
This post and hate train is getting real tiring at this point and its fucking annoying at this point. I'm sorry for the language but I had to say it.

10 seconds.

10 seconds at the end of the Adam vs Zeus fight of still shots, and all of a sudden, everyone online in every anime fandom declares the entire anime bad. Did you know there were two perfectly fine fights included in this anime? Cause from my perspective, they seemed perfectly fine, Along with the beginning and middle parts of the Adam vs Zeus fight. And then you have Manga Elitist touting the manga like the bible saying "See! I told you it wouldn't be as good as the manga!" And it just further proves the point of why most anime fandoms are toxic.

Going by these 12 episodes alone, the anime imo is a 7 or 8, Everyone overreacted and put unrealistic scenarios in there head.
Jun 18, 2021 12:53 AM
Oct 2018
Even cgi would have been better than this. Atleast there would have been some movement, but this honestly is a slideshow.
Jun 18, 2021 1:01 AM
May 2021
i watched until episode 4 and i can't stand anymore. stupid pathetic garbage this anime is. 50% this trash are just still frame powerpoint slideshow garbage. the fight scene merely 3-5fps. and they show flashback of the character that no one care and took half every episode. Wasted my time watching 4 episode.
Jun 18, 2021 1:18 AM
Mar 2020
Well it's a Netflix anime..
Jun 18, 2021 3:54 AM
Oct 2017
Holymonark97 said:
This post and hate train is getting real tiring at this point and its fucking annoying at this point. I'm sorry for the language but I had to say it.

10 seconds.

10 seconds at the end of the Adam vs Zeus fight of still shots, and all of a sudden, everyone online in every anime fandom declares the entire anime bad. Did you know there were two perfectly fine fights included in this anime? Cause from my perspective, they seemed perfectly fine, Along with the beginning and middle parts of the Adam vs Zeus fight. And then you have Manga Elitist touting the manga like the bible saying "See! I told you it wouldn't be as good as the manga!" And it just further proves the point of why most anime fandoms are toxic.

Going by these 12 episodes alone, the anime imo is a 7 or 8, Everyone overreacted and put unrealistic scenarios in there head.

Except it's not 10 seconds. How can you watch it and then say that it's just 10s of still frame is beyond me. Also, your logic is extremely egoistical. Because you think a certain way, automatically it should be what other people think? Seriously. You are one person, one single person. Saying you like it is fine. Saying because you like it other people shouldn't express opposing opinions is toxic. Use a mirror.
Jun 18, 2021 4:07 AM
Oct 2015
Thanks for the warning. Now I don't need to waste my life. I can start reading the manga soon.
Jun 18, 2021 4:27 AM
Mar 2021
should i watch this? and is it worth to watching?. After seeing the review I became hesitant to watch it
Jun 18, 2021 4:32 AM
Mar 2021
Annhxj said:
should i watch this? and is it worth to watching?. After seeing the review I became hesitant to watch it

dont watch it, read the manga.
Jun 18, 2021 11:55 PM

Jun 2015
Niello said:
Holymonark97 said:

10 seconds.

Except it's not 10 seconds. How can you watch it and then say that it's just 10s of still frame is beyond me. Also, your logic is extremely egoistical. Because you think a certain way, automatically it should be what other people think? Seriously. You are one person, one single person. Saying you like it is fine. Saying because you like it other people shouldn't express opposing opinions is toxic. Use a mirror.

Except literally everyone is expressing toxic opinions ie "Anime bad, 0/10 hurr durr read the manga instead." How that isn't toxic is beyond me.

And i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one who thinks this anime was "okay" so quit the assumption that i'm the only one with that opinion And this whole Forum has been hive mind with the same talking points over and over again. Of course its annoying to keep hearing the same parrot talking points being touted out.

And yes the 10 second frame was taken out of 30 minutes of context, spread around, and was used as a a basis to not watch the anime because of it. Everyone mostly formed there opinion based on that.
Jun 19, 2021 1:19 AM
Jul 2018
I hate that they ruined the best fight in the series out of all fights

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu no Walküre Episode 7 Discussion

anime-prime - Jun 17, 2021

31 by u_repository666 »»
Apr 13, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu no Walküre Episode 6 Discussion

39 by u_repository666 »»
Apr 13, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu no Walküre Episode 5 Discussion

33 by u_repository666 »»
Apr 13, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu no Walküre Episode 3 Discussion

32 by u_repository666 »»
Apr 13, 3:13 PM

» This should be watched as a comedy

Sharri - Apr 11

0 by Sharri »»
Apr 11, 9:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.