Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 5, 2015 1:23 PM
Feb 2014

what can I do to drag an original character drawing out of my hand? how can I make it to forget the influence of other existing characters if they are constantly on my mind?

When I want to draw me a character, I instantly get in my head a picture of an already existing character (who had an influence on the persona of my character). Therefore whatever I draw ends up not being good enough as I have in my mind the already existing and owned character. So I always try to top it.

for example if I wanted to draw a red haired character or a female warrior I'd probably get in my head these characters: Rias, Erza or princess Mononoke

And that alone gives me a block and a road I can't cross because you can't top your idols, and since I can't remove those characters from my head, whats left for me is to try to top them constantly. But it isn't going well.

what can I do to drag an original character drawing out of my hand? how can I make it to forget the influence of other existing characters if they are constantly on my mind?
Sep 6, 2015 1:56 PM
Feb 2014
anyone?
Sep 6, 2015 2:32 PM

May 2014
I dont really draw but I would say just use whatever character you think your character resembles as a template and then depending on their style or personality add in extra features, like a weapon at their side or a scar. Try and research what types of clothes these kind of characters would possess based on the era of the story and add that in. Don't forget to make their expressions correspond with their attitude.
Thats all I can think of.
I've been here way too long...
Sep 8, 2015 4:16 AM
Feb 2014
TheConquerer said:
I dont really draw but I would say just use whatever character you think your character resembles as a template and then depending on their style or personality add in extra features, like a weapon at their side or a scar. Try and research what types of clothes these kind of characters would possess based on the era of the story and add that in. Don't forget to make their expressions correspond with their attitude.
Thats all I can think of.

Thanks so much but I can't do that, it's still the same character then and not an original one, it would be that I just added some make up. :/

I need to make some way for my mind to develop an original character without an existing character (with matching characteristics) interfering :/
Sep 9, 2015 3:07 PM

Jul 2014
Try to start off with a simple body sketch and force yourself to forget about any characters that already exist. There are plenty of red haired characters and needless to mention red haired characters that share the same hairstyle. I usually go through some images on google, look up some rad hairstyle and simple plaster it onto the character and if I'm stuck with their clothing choice, I just go through online cloth shops and blogs and the rest of the stuff comes easily afterwards.
Have you considered maybe starting off from shaping the personality of your original character first? Maybe basing on this it'd be easier for you to draw them. Just imagine what do you want your character to be like let's say loving and caring like a sweet angel and then get the most common image of angel into your head - not any existing character just a simple, common angel like in the old paintings. Then start with designing the character in your head and base them loosely on said image and personality you have in mind - if they're cheerful and carefree try to express it through their facial features, the style they choose to dress in or habits they have (posing like a model 24/7, always down to fight and in a battle stance, carrying a musical instrument all the time and etc')
Try to force yourself forget any existing characters from video games, animes, TV dramas and etc' when you do it. Pretend it's your world now; your world, your characters and your rules. Design your own world and characters to your likeness; you can always base them on already existing characters but what fun would that be? Try to be unique by adding them special traits, reshape their personality and body and let them by YOUR very own special creation. Don't let existing material get in your way, fight it through.

More topics from this board

» How to Export/Backup Your Anime List Automatically! (TamperMonkey Script)

hacker09 - May 18, 2020

7 by Vapor_AU »»
7 hours ago

» The Poetry thread ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

TheConquerer - Sep 17, 2015

220 by 707supremacist »»
7 hours ago

» What software(s) and hardware(s) do you use for digital drawings?

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

18 by 707supremacist »»
7 hours ago

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

363 by nin-tendo »»
Yesterday, 12:25 PM

» Protect or punish?

DollzchanAi - Apr 18

4 by DollzchanAi »»
Apr 25, 6:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.