Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 14, 2014 7:53 PM

Nov 2012
I want pics too! Don't you at least have a DeviantArt or something?
Sep 15, 2014 2:10 AM

Jan 2014
HxH_fan said:
cipheron said:
"Average" manga quality is based on the fact that chapters are produced weekly. Like someone said, Bakuman is the best anime about the pressures of making weekly manga. And they have reader feedback forms, and if readers don't rate your manga high enough, it can get cancelled anytime. Most mangas end up like this, and not like Naruto.

Gekan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is a new anime that also details how some of the manga-making roles are broken down.

Now, getting serialized in Japanese in Shonen Jump etc ... is a BULLSHIT goal. I will just say "ain't gonna happen". They're not working with you in the first place if you're not 100% fluent in Japanese.

You can still make your own comics. Do a web comic, and/or try and get work with a Western comic publication. But with those, they don't have the tight weekly scheduling and the average art style you need to pull off is a lot higher. That's also a very competitive market.

If you're throwing stuff up on the web as webcomics make sure you understand copyright. But many many more aspiring cartoonists get a break through webcomics than any other means these days. Unless you're a total bitching artist. Go to art college if you're serious. Study life drawing (drawing nude people so you understand body proportions).

Another option is to write a novel / novella (a short novel). Let's assume your writing is good enough for Japanese teens, for the sake of argument. If you are planning to be a full-blown mangaka you're talking both art and writing. A novel can be your pitch for the story. But you can also publish that yourself in any country. So it's a fallback, assuming your writing is good enough that other people will like it. If your writing isn't good enough for a kids/teens novel, then why aren't you just focusing on artwork alone? Many mangakas work in writer/artist teams. e.g. Death Note was such a team. Nobody expects you to do it all. And it's not realistic if even Japanese people are splitting the job up.

Now, you can actually pay to get those translated into Japanese, probably even get some fairly "known" name on the cover as a co-author / translator if you're coughing up the cash. Light Novels don't have to come out weekly like manga chapters, they come out in volumes, so that doesn't have to be as regular, could be 1-2 volumes per year, or more. If you manage to get a Light Novel translated into Japanese then you'd have a theoretical shot at seeing an anime created of your work. This is still really unlikely, but much more likely than becoming a true blue mangaka.

Wow. This opened my eyes. I want to thank you a lot...its not common that someone takes so much effort to help a random internet user :) THANK YOU

You and some other people recommended me to do a web-comic...what are the best sites for that purpose (at which site would be the best to post my stuff)?

I tried to write a novel once, but it was just terrible.

My wish is to do both, to combine story + art e.g to do a manga series. I really dont care about the money, its my passion and if some named manga magazine would ask me to draw a manga for free...hell yeah I would.

I actually know what you're going through. Having a dream and needing to overcome this (probably unbreakable) barrier of not being Japanese... But in my case, I write stories (because I'm a disaster at drawing). So, just like cipheron said, the web is probably our last hope. That's what I did. I wrote a LN and I made it available for free on the internet. It hurts though... not only I'm putting my precious story in which I dedicated a lot of hard work up on the net for free, but also I'm not getting many readers. But I'll keep trying hard. I know, I have to advertise it and wait for it to become popular. That's all I can do.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Sep 15, 2014 10:22 AM

Jan 2014
Do not listen to these guys. However, I do agree that you should aim for an internet series, as a foreigner becoming a mangaka is pretty much impossible, especially if you don't have much money
koleareSep 17, 2014 3:21 AM
My top anime quotes
1. I AM JUSTICE!- l/light (Death Note)
2. IT'S OVER 9000!!!!- Vegeta (dbz)
3. Almighty Push!/ Shinra Tensei!- Pain (Naruto Shippuden)
4. We stand in awe before that which cannot be seen- Rukia (Bleach)
5. I'll take a potato chip.....AND EAT IT!!!!!- Light (Death Note)
6. Art is an explosion - Deidara (Naruto)
7. Shut the fuck up Kakazu - Hidan (Naruto)
8. Bulma, you've lost your balls- Goku (dragonball)
9. "Don't call me small! I'll break off your feet and stick em on your head!"- Edward Elric (fmab)
Sep 15, 2014 12:07 PM

Jun 2014
DarkDawn said:
Do not listen to these guys. However, I do agree that you should aim for an internet series, as a foreigner becoming a mangaka is pretty much impossible, especially if you don't have much money

We're just being realistic. The guy can go become a mangaka if he really wants to, but we gave him the barebones qualifications to do so. Any less and he just won't make it. That's like saying you're going to be a super-model, but can't lose the weight needed to do so.
koleareSep 17, 2014 3:21 AM

Sep 15, 2014 6:00 PM

Aug 2014
You need to 1) Be Japanese or 2) Speak fluent Japanese. Sorry, but there's too many rare happenings of any person not Japanese succeeding. It's because Japan is such a homogeneous society.
Sep 15, 2014 7:14 PM

Mar 2014
The only web comic hosting site I know of is smackjeeves. There are quite a number of manga styled web comics there too. You can also ask for donations on it, which would help I guess.

Also, post a link to at least some of your drawings so we know what to critique and stuff.
Sep 15, 2014 10:33 PM

Jan 2008
It shouldn't matter if you publish it in a Japanese publication, local, Web, or whatever as long as you get your work out there into the world and most importantly - have fun doing it.
Sep 16, 2014 2:39 AM

Oct 2012
stop drawing a manga and write a comic book fool.

you dont live in japan, you will literally never be a mangaka. it has never happened. youre hopes will be crushed. but, if you actually want to work hard, just write an american comic strongly influenced by japanese comics. scott pilgrim pulled it off well, and tons of current cartoons are super influenced by manga.

unfortunately, it usually seems that americans who want to write manga as opposed just calling what they want to write comics usually suck ass. i dont believe in you. but good luck.

god. this thread is so embarrassing. op youre so naive. youre like a baby. this is making me sad. i love you though. please write youre elfen lied/naruto hybrid as im a big fan of train wrecks.
ChromephoneSep 16, 2014 2:42 AM
Sep 16, 2014 2:45 AM

Mar 2014
^You really don't know how to hold back, do you?

OP's eventual suicide will be on your head, ma'am!
Sep 16, 2014 2:59 AM

Oct 2012
Ryukatsuka said:
^You really don't know how to hold back, do you?

OP's eventual suicide will be on your head, ma'am!

this guy is like, 24, time to get real. its literally too late to become fluent enough in japanese to become a great writer, which doesnt matter, since he doesnt live in fucking japan. better to be told now than work hard and fail.

dreams are one thing. i have big dreams. i write comics. i work hard everyday and im going to be a part of the art world. shooting for the impossible is not a good thing. a 24 year old who doesnt live in japan nor know the language would have to be a literal genius to make it in the manga world. i mean, like, the voice of a generation master of story telling. the fact that the manga hes writing is a mix between naruto and elfen lied is pretty much the final nail in the coffin.

write web comics op. i really mean it. if youre as good a writer as you claim to be and you spend hours a day crafting something good, people will come. the internet is an incredible tool for spreading niche art, and if what you make is good there will be an audience. upload what youve written to the internet, LISTEN TO THE FEEDBACK YOU GET, and work. hard. story tellers have truly difficult jobs. it will not be fun most of the time. but if thats what you want, give it a shot.
Sep 16, 2014 10:35 AM

Apr 2013
Go read Bakuman!
Sep 16, 2014 12:50 PM

Aug 2012
you can but you need to go to japan first or contact with some publisher like gangan which is online. but your odds are better if you are in japan. who knows maybe you can be a guy(or gal?) better thanhim
look for a publisher and/or have a research on manga publishing magazines (either online or offline)
Sep 16, 2014 3:54 PM

Jun 2008
There's realistic dreams then there's idealistic dreams. What you have is the latter. Because if your dreams were realistic, A) you would've not asked for advice on a non-Japanese website and B) you should be in Japan right now + speaks/writes/reads their writing fluently and learning everything there is to know about how the manga industry instead of, again, asking for advice here.

Something like a webcomic is more within the realm of possibility but it's definitely not a "professional mangaka".
TachiiSep 16, 2014 3:57 PM
Sep 16, 2014 9:47 PM

Feb 2013
oh lord. op. dont be so naive.

its hard to become a mangka even when you're japanese, so i doubt its possible for an english native speaker to achieve this goal.

on top of that mangkas live a stressful life generally just surrounded by work. they are always on an insane deadline schedule and get like, 3 hours of sleep a night.
Sep 16, 2014 11:14 PM

Apr 2012
HxH_fan said:
tsudecimo said:
Why would a professional mangaka browse a site like this..

I wasnt thinking about someone like Kishimoto or Oda, just someone who had some experience in this business.

In the first place, unless you're Japanese/living in Japan, the comics you draw don't count as manga.

[i]Mod edit: removed bait-ish part
koleareSep 17, 2014 3:28 AM
Sep 17, 2014 1:43 AM

Jun 2013
I think it's possible to make manga here in the West since some other countries are starting to try it already.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2014 3:29 AM

Aug 2010
Moved the thread, and cleaned it a bit. Please keep your discussions on topic.
Sep 17, 2014 2:47 PM

Jun 2012
I think anything is possible!! I truly want to become one also!! But for starters I wouldn't call myself a Mangaka... even tho that name is awesome!! I would start making a few graphic novels and get them published. Anyone with some talent can do that! :)

Being a true Mangaka... you gotta live and speak in Japan!! If maybe your graphic novels sell... maybe then try moving to Japan and getting a job at a manga editor then work your way up!!
I draw stuffzzz 》》Deviantart《《

Sep 17, 2014 6:37 PM

Jun 2014
Just go live in Japan if you really want to be a mangaka. That's the biggest and most important step. You can't learn the language down to a slang-level without living there.

Sep 18, 2014 4:35 AM

Feb 2012
this is so weeaboo
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Aspiring Writer Looking for Feedback

YungStairwell - Yesterday

0 by YungStairwell »»
Yesterday, 10:38 PM

» Violin repertoire progression 1 month

ToastWithNutella - May 6

2 by Alriven »»
Yesterday, 10:23 PM

» Share Your YouTube Channel/Videos! ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nin-tendo - Dec 16, 2022

371 by Just_Augos »»
Yesterday, 10:02 PM

» Anime hoodies - Would you wear it ?

abambata - Apr 17

5 by mo_lave »»
Yesterday, 7:38 PM

» Share an ai anime pic

NowOldCow - Dec 6, 2023

20 by DesuMaiden »»
Yesterday, 10:14 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.