Forum Settings
Forums

Looking for more anime like Paprika or Spirited Away

New
Jul 27, 2009 12:18 AM

Apr 2009
Im having trouble finding the title of this genre, fantasy seems a bit less then what im looking for, so ill go ahead and explain the best I can. (brain fart moment)

I am looking for an anime within the range of these two or more, Paprika being extreme and Spirited away being the least extreme.

So to sum it all up I guess im looking for something "Mind blowing", being Paprika (for lack of a better term) and something inspiring such as Spirited Away.

Thank you for dealing with my nonsense :)

Jul 27, 2009 6:26 AM

Feb 2005
Sounds like you want some surprising mind rape? Try Perfect Blue, Akira (Maybe not quite though), Ghost in the Shell (Perhaps), Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (To some degree), Inaka Isha, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade (It's fairly surprising in the end at least), Kara no Kyoukai (Number 5 especially, even if it was excessive imo), Memories: Magnetic Rose (and the two other titles for that matter), Pale Cocoon, RahXephon (One of the better NGE clones), Revolutionary Girl Utena (Lot's of mindrape throughout, and the movie ends like one big symbolic clusterfuck), Texhnolyze (the ending is definitely a surprise).

I'd also say Legend of the Galactic Heroes can be rather shocking and mind blowing at times, but perhaps not in this way, but I'll recommend it anyway.
Jul 27, 2009 9:24 AM

Jan 2009
^what Baman said, add to that Juuni Kokuki , Ergo Proxy and Gankutsuou, they're somewhat darker, and might not exactly be what you have in mind-except 12 kingdoms- but they're very close to it.

honorable mentions would include: Casshern sins, Ghost Hound, Howl's moving Castle and maybe even xxxHolic.
Jul 27, 2009 12:45 PM

Jan 2008
wow. I totally agree with Baman and alcurad, plus Mononoke, that is great. It has a awesome art like Paprika and the story is totally crazy.
Jul 27, 2009 5:24 PM

Jun 2008
Mind Game, and just about anything else that studio and director.
Jul 27, 2009 7:53 PM

Feb 2008
Kanashimi no Belladonna
Nice
check this rad twitter out: http://twitter.com/fuckyeah_anime

More topics from this board

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

6 by mo_lave »»
2 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

34 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for an Anime like the game "Rival Schools".

reigningslash - Apr 22

3 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Apr 18

9 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

10 by JoeChip »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.