Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 6, 2:48 AM
May 2022
**this is off-topic from the anime**
I’m currently 15, and im curious that do people still consistently watch anime when they get older ? Like I properly got into anime at 13 but im wondering when im older will i still actually enjoy it as much im rn. The other thing im really curious about is romance anime and especially the school based or younger character based genres, I may be similar to the characters ages rn but supposedly when u turn 19 or 20 do watching these genres become weird for people.
(Not wanting to hate or anything, just genuinely wanting to know)
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 6, 3:00 AM
Jan 2020
ElmoBoredAsf said:
*this is off-topic from the anime**
I’m currently 15, and im curious that do people still consistently watch anime when they get older ? Like I properly got into anime at 13 but im wondering when im older will i still actually enjoy it as much im rn. The other thing im really curious about is romance anime and especially the school based or younger character based genres, I may be similar to the characters ages rn but supposedly when u turn 19 or 20 do watching these genres become weird for people.

It's different for every person. For me, I liked fanservice and ecchi back in the day. That is no longer the case. Though rare, there are exceptions though.

Mod Edit: please refrain from backseat modding.
-DxP-Sep 7, 5:45 AM
“𝖨𝖿 𝗅𝗂𝖿𝖾 𝗐𝖾𝗋𝖾 𝗉𝗋𝖾𝖽𝗂𝖼𝗍𝖺𝖻𝗅𝖾, 𝗂𝗍 π—π—ˆπ—Žπ—…π–½ π–Όπ–Ύπ–Ίπ—Œπ–Ύ π—π—ˆ 𝖻𝖾 𝗅𝗂𝖿𝖾 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖻𝖾 π—π—‚π—π—π—ˆπ—Žπ— π–Ώπ—…π–Ίπ—π—ˆπ—‹.” – π–€π—…π–Ύπ–Ίπ—‡π—ˆπ—‹ π–±π—ˆπ—ˆπ—Œπ–Ύπ—π–Ύπ—…π—
Sep 6, 3:04 AM
Oct 2019
I am 34 started seriously at 24 and I see no sign of stopping anytime soon so for me your point reek more of prejudice rather than a actual question.
Sep 6, 3:06 AM
Jan 2024
well, I've started watching anime last year when I was 19. High school anime(s) might be more relatable if you're at that age but you can enjoy them anytime. Shounen anime are watched by people of all ages. There is also Seinen genre which is for older audiences.

also don't get super addicted into anime and other stuff. Keep it as a hobby and maintain your daily responsibilities.
Sep 6, 3:10 AM
May 2022
Otakupervert890 said:
I am 34 started seriously at 24 and I see no sign of stopping anytime soon so for me your point reek more of prejudice rather than a actual question.

Like I said brother I’m not hating I was just genuinely curious and decided to ask out of the blue.
Sep 6, 3:12 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to habib_kun
well, I've started watching anime last year when I was 19. High school anime(s) might be more relatable if you're at that age but you can enjoy them anytime. Shounen anime are watched by people of all ages. There is also Seinen genre which is for older audiences.

also don't get super addicted into anime and other stuff. Keep it as a hobby and maintain your daily responsibilities.
@habib_kun heh, so you're 20~ (⁠ Ν‘⁠°β α΄₯⁠ Ν‘⁠°β  β Κ‹β )

And you started last year. I suppose one of your friends got you in it.

For me, it was back in 2009-10. I would often watch anime. But I really started watching it back in 2021.
“𝖨𝖿 𝗅𝗂𝖿𝖾 𝗐𝖾𝗋𝖾 𝗉𝗋𝖾𝖽𝗂𝖼𝗍𝖺𝖻𝗅𝖾, 𝗂𝗍 π—π—ˆπ—Žπ—…π–½ π–Όπ–Ύπ–Ίπ—Œπ–Ύ π—π—ˆ 𝖻𝖾 𝗅𝗂𝖿𝖾 𝖺𝗇𝖽 𝖻𝖾 π—π—‚π—π—π—ˆπ—Žπ— π–Ώπ—…π–Ίπ—π—ˆπ—‹.” – π–€π—…π–Ύπ–Ίπ—‡π—ˆπ—‹ π–±π—ˆπ—ˆπ—Œπ–Ύπ—π–Ύπ—…π—
Sep 6, 3:16 AM
Dec 2018
ElmoBoredAsf said:

I've been watching since the age of 10 I'm 20 now and I still enjoy animes as much as I enjoyed them back then.

I guess growing up does affect your preferences but while these story are written for children they are still written by grown up adults so there is more to it than just children getting along. It speaks a lot about how one wished their life was too.

You can also appreciate some parts much more when you grow up and become a little bit more mature. I think about cinematic direction (not sure it's an appropriate wording for animes) in which angles, expression, musics are also telling a story (which is hard to understand for children)

Anyway no matter what you will think about animes in the future keep enjoying them for what you enjoy them now.
Sep 6, 3:19 AM
May 2022
DragyG said:
ElmoBoredAsf said:

I've been watching since the age of 10 I'm 20 now and I still enjoy animes as much as I enjoyed them back then.

I guess growing up does affect your preferences but while these story are written for children they are still written by grown up adults so there is more to it than just children getting along. It speaks a lot about how one wished their life was too.

You can also appreciate some parts much more when you grow up and become a little bit more mature. I think about cinematic direction (not sure it's an appropriate wording for animes) in which angles, expression, musics are also telling a story (which is hard to understand for children)

Anyway no matter what you will think about animes in the future keep enjoying them for what you enjoy them now.

Good to know bro hopefully I also enjoy them as much.
Sep 6, 3:20 AM
Jan 2024
aurora_yuuki said:

For me, it was back in 2009-10. I would often watch anime. But I really started watching it back in 2021.

not really.I really like detective stuffs.One day I randomly watched a Detective Conan movie and got hooked into that series. That's how I started watching anime seriously.

Though before that I watched a lot of Doraemon and Pokemon.

btw how old are you?
habib_kunSep 6, 3:37 AM
Sep 6, 3:21 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to DragyG
ElmoBoredAsf said:

@habib_kun, @DragyG You two are of the same age. Are you two friends?

What are your favorite genres?
Sep 6, 3:23 AM
Dec 2018
aurora_yuuki said:

I don't know this person.

My favorite genres are the ones written on my profile. (That's the only up to date information)
Sep 6, 3:26 AM
Dec 2018
aurora_yuuki said:
@ElmoBoredAsf You should have read the guidelines for discussion prior to making threads on MAL.

Roshidere is a story about growing up so people asking about growing up aren't that much off topic
Sep 6, 3:31 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to habib_kun
aurora_yuuki said:

not really.I really like detective stuffs.One day I randomly watched a Detective Conan movie and got hooked into that series. That's how I started watching anime seriously.

Though before that I watched a lot of Doraemon and Pokemon.

btw how old are you?
@habib_kun mhm, curious about my age, are we? (⁠ Ν‘⁠°β  Νœβ Κ–⁠ Ν‘⁠°β )

I don't remember my first.

I used to watch Ninja Hattori, FMAB, Bleach, DBZ, Naruto, Hayate No Gotoku, Black Butler, Pokèmon, InuYasha etc back in 2009-10. Great memories. (⁠.⁠ β β›β  β α΄—⁠ β β›β .⁠)

(⁠◑⁠ β ω⁠ β β—‘⁠)Mmm... I suppose I could tell you. Not even @DragyG knows. I'm not that far off from you guys. <⁠(⁠ ̄⁠︢⁠ ̄⁠)⁠↗ My age lies somewhere within 19 years 66 days to 20 years 360 days... (⁠人⁠ β •Νˆβ α΄—⁠•Νˆβ )
May 2024
This is in the wrong place. Why make such an unusual topic like this in this anime?
Jan 2024
aurora_yuuki said:

I know him through you.

My favorite genre is probably comedy. I also like Mystery/Thriller and Drama when done right.
Sep 6, 3:33 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to habib_kun
aurora_yuuki said:

I know him through you.

My favorite genre is probably comedy. I also like Mystery/Thriller and Drama when done right.
@habib_kun Through me? How so? You two had interacted before.
Sep 6, 3:36 AM
Jan 2024
aurora_yuuki said:
@habib_kun Through me? How so? You two had interacted before.

oh, maybe in a post or somewhere. I see him in Roshidere threads but I personally don't know him.
Sep 6, 3:36 AM
Dec 2018
benedito2937425 said:
This is in the wrong place. Why make such an unusual topic like this in this anime?

Roshidere talks about losing things by growing up.

That's an unusual topic but kinda related to the anime
Sep 6, 3:37 AM
Dec 2018
aurora_yuuki said:

I used to watch Ninja Hattori, FMAB, Bleach, DBZ, Naruto, Hayate No Gotoku, Black Butler, Pokèmon, InuYasha etc back in 2009-10. Great memories. (⁠.⁠ β β›β  β α΄—⁠ β β›β .⁠)

(⁠◑⁠ β ω⁠ β β—‘⁠)Mmm... I suppose I could tell you. Not even @DragyG knows. I'm not that far off from you guys. <⁠(⁠ ̄⁠︢⁠ ̄⁠)⁠↗ My age lies somewhere within 19 years 66 days to 20 years 360 days... (⁠人⁠ β •Νˆβ α΄—⁠•Νˆβ )

Not that I wonder about it tbh
Sep 6, 3:38 AM
Jul 2024
I started watching anime last year when I was 19, and I still love it. I don't see myself stopping, especially since most of my other interests like Star Wars and Marvel have gotten rather... bad.

Some anime is trash, some is peak but they're all entertaining in their own ways imo.

I also don't mind the fanservice unless it's a child, then it becomes extremely uncomfortable for me.
Sep 6, 3:38 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to habib_kun
aurora_yuuki said:

I know him through you.

@habib_kun mmm...

I've already told you mine. And I'll tell you again.

Mystery, Romance, Psychological, Thriller, Suspense.

I also like Comedy and Slice of Life.
Sep 6, 3:39 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to DragyG
aurora_yuuki said:

Not that I wonder about it tbh
@DragyG I'm sure you don't. That's why I tagged you.
Sep 6, 3:39 AM
Jan 2024
i shall never do that
Sep 6, 3:42 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to DragyG
aurora_yuuki said:
@ElmoBoredAsf You should have read the guidelines for discussion prior to making threads on MAL.

Roshidere is a story about growing up so people asking about growing up aren't that much off topic
@DragyG The gist of their thread is irrelevant in the context of Roshidere.
Sep 6, 3:43 AM
Dec 2018
aurora_yuuki said:
@DragyG The gist of their thread is irrelevant in the context of Roshidere.

Meanwhile Kyoutarou's story
Sep 6, 3:45 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to aurora_yuuki

@habib_kun I am ~175,202 hours old.

Meanwhile, @DragyG is 7,449 days old.
aurora_yuukiSep 6, 3:49 AM
Sep 6, 3:49 AM
May 2021
aurora_yuuki said:

interesting way of putting it
Sep 6, 3:52 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to aurora_yuuki

@habib_kun How about you~?
Sep 6, 4:03 AM
Jan 2024

I'm 1052 weeks old
Sep 6, 4:05 AM
Jan 2023
no one's to say if you will still enjoy it as much later on. I've been watching anime most my life and still enjoy it even tho I dont watch 12 episodes a day like I used to and I don't plan to stop watching anime anytime in the future.
Sep 6, 4:08 AM
Jun 2021
ElmoBoredAsf said:

Ya once your out of high school a few years you really don’t care about high school romance anime. Im in my late 20s, So these seasonal romance shows just feel like filler to me. But anime also doesn’t make many adult romance shows. Ill try shows like Alya here, but it’s just ok. I really hate the sister character in this one so I probably won’t continue
Sep 6, 4:10 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to habib_kun

I'm 1052 weeks old
@habib_kun So July 23rd is your birthday?
Sep 6, 4:17 AM
Jan 2024
aurora_yuuki said:
@habib_kun So July 23rd is your birthday?

July 10th actually
Sep 6, 4:20 AM
May 2021
nah, don't worry about that. as long as you keep enjoying the shows and don't let negative comments etc influence you, you could be watching it for much longer ;)
Sep 6, 4:22 AM
Apr 2023
There’s no cut off to enjoying stuff you did/do as a teenager. It gets harder (time, life obligations, different interests, etc) but it never really disappeares. People will say that their tastes change and it’s one of the biggest coping mechanisms I’ve ever heard. It’s rarely actually true.
Sep 6, 4:28 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to JayTCU
There’s no cut off to enjoying stuff you did/do as a teenager. It gets harder (time, life obligations, different interests, etc) but it never really disappeares. People will say that their tastes change and it’s one of the biggest coping mechanisms I’ve ever heard. It’s rarely actually true.
@JayTCU The real answer to this thread.
Sep 6, 4:34 AM

Sep 2022
ElmoBoredAsf said:

Probably once you pass a certain age you will enjoy them less or they will have less of an effect on you, that's for sure. I'm personally almost 23 and I still enjoy watching them even if maybe the effect of watching them when you're still a teenager is different.

Sep 6, 4:38 AM
May 2016
I started watching at 15. Still an anime fan at 24. I find a lot of my friends around a similar age still occasionally watch it, but a lot less than they used to. I think most people move on as life gets busier and they have more responsibilities. If you have five or six hobbies as a teen, you will probably only find time for one or two of them as an adult, and even then, you'll struggle to find time. Personally I don't really like any live action or mainstream western entertainment so I still watch a lot more anime. For me, anime is one of the few hobbies I've held onto and make time for, however I've dropped off of things like gaming. I have friends the same age who have done the opposite, and don't really watch anime anymore, but they still play video games. If we had more time, I imagine we'd probably pick up the extra hobbies again, but as an adult, its just a lot to keep up with multiple hobbies.

With regards to romance anime, it depends on the person. I think you just gain a different perspective. Its worth remembering that in Japan, a lot of popular anime and manga are based in high school because for many people, high school was the best time of their life and they have a sense of nostalgia for it. For me, I sort of view these romcom type shows through the perspective of anemoia, as I never got to experience a highschool romance.

Sep 6, 4:39 AM
Dec 2019
I think as you grow older you can enjoy anime in a new way, since your matured and might notice things in anime that you didn’t notice when you were a teen. 19 here btw, and don’t plan not quitting anytime soon. I still enjoy school anime, and I can still somewhat relate to them since I’m in college
Sep 6, 4:43 AM

Sep 2016
"Are you still watching?"

This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 6, 4:49 AM
Feb 2018
I used to love anime as a kid, but I only watched punchy mcpunches animes. Hated romance animes because "ew pink things are for girls".

In my late teens, deep into an existential depression I never knew I had, I noticed that all the stuff I watched was the same. So I got bored and I dropped out of anime, everything, completely.

A lifetime passes, the internet makes everything easy to get, streaming services are popular. I stumbled into an "alternative" streaming service with anime of all ages, so I go to watch the original versions of Robotech. While I was doing that I bing watch a new anime that was there in the homepage: Mob Psycho 100. I get a routine of watching old stuff and Mob. I ran out of Mob. I look for a new one, I liked the cover art: Bocchi The Rock.

I realized I'm not into punchy mcpunches shows anymore, at all. I check other Cloverworks stuff. My Dress Up Darling. Horimiya. I like romcoms now. The Dangers in My Heart comes out. I fucking LOVE romcoms now.

I turns out, as I grow older, I like stuff because of the content, not because of pre-made labels. I don't watch anime because is anime, I watch shows I like that happen to be anime.
Sep 6, 4:54 AM
Jan 2020
after like 7 years watching anime, I found myself starting to read more manga that watching anime. If an anime seems to have bad animation and art, ill pick up the manga instead.
apart from that, only new thing is now I have a nostalgia taste for any anime that has art and plot ressembling to the 2010s-2016s
Sep 6, 5:32 AM

Mar 2018
Well my personal experience is, I started watching in like 2011 so I must have been around 13. While my Consumption has definetly lessened, I am still actively watching anime. Take that as you will
Sep 6, 5:41 AM
Feb 2023
Im 18 and already started to get bored

You will probably never feel the same excitement like the first time you started watching anime. The days when you watch 30 episodes in a day will end. Half of the things you watch will feel like the same.

That's why I recommend you to research the things you are going to watch before watching them, definitely do not start a series based on just a 15-second fan service scene you saw somewhere, even if you start, do not hesitate to drop the anime halfway.

I used to feel like I had to finish every anime I started and I realized very late that this was a huge mistake, it has greatly damaged my viewing pleasure.

Even if your friends recommend it, look at the criticis, look at people's comments, the less you watch, the more you enjoy it because the less clichés, the less stereotypes you will be aware of.

Maybe you will be a less "wise" viewer when you do this, but enjoying what you watchin is much more important than that.
Sep 6, 6:21 AM
Nov 2020
I started watching anime when I was 20, went strong for about two years before my interest fizzled out. But then again I think that’s because I watched a ton of different anime seasonally for 5 seasons instead of binge watching. I barely watch any anime nowadays but I still read Manga
Sep 6, 6:21 AM
Jan 2020
Reply to Hot_Pants_

You will probably never feel the same excitement like the first time you started watching anime. The days when you watch 30 episodes in a day will end. Half of the things you watch will feel like the same.

That's why I recommend you to research the things you are going to watch before watching them, definitely do not start a series based on just a 15-second fan service scene you saw somewhere, even if you start, do not hesitate to drop the anime halfway.

I used to feel like I had to finish every anime I started and I realized very late that this was a huge mistake, it has greatly damaged my viewing pleasure.

Even if your friends recommend it, look at the criticis, look at people's comments, the less you watch, the more you enjoy it because the less clichés, the less stereotypes you will be aware of.

Maybe you will be a less "wise" viewer when you do this, but enjoying what you watchin is much more important than that.
Pinkie_Pie_ said:
The days when you watch 30 episodes in a day will end. Half

Used to watch +50 episodes once upon a time. Most number of episodes I've watched in a single day is ~81 - which was of Black Clover. Finished it in three days. Because I had so much free time back then. But now, I'm going to get busier than ever. I no longer feel as enthralled or drawn to anime like I used to.
Sep 6, 6:35 AM
May 2024
Reply to DragyG
benedito2937425 said:

Roshidere talks about losing things by growing up.

That's an unusual topic but kinda related to the anime
@DragyG I still think it's completely out of context in relation to the anime.
Sep 6, 7:12 AM
Oct 2023
ElmoBoredAsf said:

buddy, I'm 21 I'm getting married to my boyfriend in december and I love watching school anime sets ! πŸ₯°

my attitude hasn't gotten any worse, I just started to understand things better. this is also nostalgia for the past, when I was a teenager at school and when I was a teenager watching anime about school at home.😌

but this is my personal perception, others may have a different one.
Sep 6, 7:20 AM
Dec 2018
polnalyubvi said:
ElmoBoredAsf said:

buddy, I'm 21 I'm getting married to my boyfriend in december and I love watching school anime sets ! πŸ₯°

my attitude hasn't gotten any worse, I just started to understand things better. this is also nostalgia for the past, when I was a teenager at school and when I was a teenager watching anime about school at home.😌

but this is my personal perception, others may have a different one.

Hooo congrats in advance
Sep 6, 7:22 AM
Dec 2018
Pinkie_Pie_ said:

Wtf ? 30 episodes in row ? You used to watch animes for 15 hours straight?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime you haven't watched but you know it's good?

AnimeDownUnder - Sep 3

39 by KenaiPhoenix »»
29 seconds ago

» Revisiting Dropped Anime

Oioioioi1234 - Sep 7

44 by LenRea »»
7 minutes ago

» Your top female characters in anime ( 1 2 )

RealClutch - Sep 2

83 by LenRea »»
11 minutes ago

» What's your favorite thing about moe blobs?

Catalano - Yesterday

19 by LenRea »»
14 minutes ago

» When are you considered "ready" to "more difficult" anime? ( 1 2 )

thewiru - Sep 5

72 by veinnnn »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.