Forum Settings
Forums

What's the difference between a tourist and a casual ?

New
7 hours ago

Jul 2024
I don't know maybe tourist is an insult or something .
What you see is what you get , Sorry my English is not the best .
7 hours ago

Sep 2016
One leaves after a while, the other not necessarily.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
7 hours ago

Feb 2016
People don't call themselves tourists except when literally traveling for vacation.
その目だれの目?
7 hours ago

Sep 2018
A tourist pushes for anime to change. A casual does not.
7 hours ago

Dec 2015
From what I've understood these terms used in internet -

Tourist - Person who've seen one to few titles, usually mainstream who doesn't know that much about anime cause of not being interested, usually I'd say such peeps don't even create accounts on Mal and stuff like that and watched those few titles on tv/netflix etc.

Casual - Someone who from time to time watches/rewatches some anime who ain't involve themselves further so people who would have several or lil bit more of titles of one or multiple genres. They would have usually fresh accounts on anime related sites.

Also usually these 2 types of people are considered/thought to be the loudest/most writing as SJW/KW on Twitter/other social media whenever there is something "controversial" for them but in reality isn't [ex. "Sexualisation" of Anya in Spy x Family, or something like that as I remember some peeps writing weird stuff about that]

5 hours ago

Jul 2017
Here are my personal definitions of the terms:

“Anime tourist” is someone who has either never watched anime before, or watches very infrequently, like once in a blue moon or something. They are often curious about anime and anime culture in general, and want to know a bit more about them. Often times, they will also give off the impression that they are an outsider/stranger to anime and anime culture. The only anime titles that they know about are the extremely popular and highly-rated ones.

“Anime casual” on the other hand, is mainly someone who has seen at the very least a small handful of anime, and watches anime somewhat infrequently. They know more anime titles than the anime tourists do, but the titles are still considered very popular and highly-rated.

Basically, anime tourist is just the more newbie version of anime casual is how I see it.
5 hours ago
Apr 2014
Anime tourist is someone whose discussions about anime revolve primarily around how they hate the core otaku aspects of anime and want many aspects of it to change. They do not like anime and they spend more time demonizing anime and people that do like anime than enjoying anime. It doesn't matter if they never leave, or if they eventually get their way some time in the future they will always be a tourist. Invader would be a more appropriate word for these people nowadays because they are currently committing an invasion rather than taking a tour I suppose.
4 hours ago
Feb 2021
A tourist is someone riding the hype train for clout; if something goes popular, they will monopolize on it and milk it. I noticed most tourists only know popular shounen anime and some super popular romance anime, like my dress-up darling, and some don't even complete an anime but still talk about it like they finished it.

For casuals, they're the upgraded version of the tourist; they enjoy anime and watch it occasionally. 

I hate some of them because they want to radicalize anime and make it politically correct. They will ask questions that are not connected to the anime, like, is "Character" queer? Or why is there no representation of a "random minority"?
4 hours ago

Nov 2018
It is difficult to give a unanimous answer, as both terms change their meaning over time.
The term anime tourist reached it's current popularity because of drama show's (~it is used most of the times as an insult) especially about the topic of gatekeeping (guarding common anime tropes from change due to the influence of others/outsiders).

So here is (just) my impression how it is used:

Casual ...[er] : Invests only a little time or energy in the medium (does it regulary though) and therefore has no understanding of the depth of the medium's communities or creations (/their genres) (but maybe has a broad understanding about most things). Believes he likes the medium but sometimes attacks it, mainly because of his limited knowledge of it. Also sometimes advocates for things to be geared more towards the interests of casual gamers, while others are against it wanting it to cater to core gamers.

...tourists: Only invests time in one (or a few) particular genre(s) (edit: or products) of the medium ... often only because he has been told it is popular and follows the trend. After it is no longer trendy for him or he has seen the best series of the genre he likes, he leaves the medium behind. Believes that he only likes the genres he has seen, but not the whole medium (he may even dislike it). Sometimes attacks other genres that he hasn't actually seen (or their communities), and may even claim that he's doing this for the good of the entire mediums community though he actually doesn't care about the medium as a whole.
(Like most people who make their holiday destination a matter of popular/trendy places and eventually go back home ... some arrogant tourists also disrespect the whole country and its customs because they think their outsider culture is better and they only like the shiny, rich city/hotel they visit without understanding that the rest of the country, which is not tourism orientated, is not compatible with his culture and therefore should do things its own way).
ShinyLotus4 hours ago
"I don't know everything, I only know what the internet knows." - Definitely not best girl.
"To ask is a moment's shame. Not to, lifelong." - I quoted with a posed look.
4 hours ago

Oct 2017
"Tourist" in fandom terms is essentially just an insult used by self-righteous dickheads to shit on people they dislike. If you really think about it for long enough its rather stupid in a Western forum for Japanese animation to call someone a "tourist" because the likelihood of this person being Japanese is very slim. In a way we all kind of are "tourists" as we are sampling artwork and stories from another culture.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
3 hours ago

Jul 2024
One is just testing the water the other might become a moderator and have the power to rule over us.
3 hours ago

Nov 2018
Reply to LSSJ_Gaming
"Tourist" in fandom terms is essentially just an insult used by self-righteous dickheads to shit on people they dislike. If you really think about it for long enough its rather stupid in a Western forum for Japanese animation to call someone a "tourist" because the likelihood of this person being Japanese is very slim. In a way we all kind of are "tourists" as we are sampling artwork and stories from another culture.
@LSSJ_Gaming
"If you really think about it for long enough its rather stupid in a Western forum for Japanese animation to call someone a "tourist" because the likelihood of this person being Japanese is very slim."
Yes. If you really think about it you will realise the ‘tourist’ part is a metaphor that abstracts from geographical locations to entertainment products.
You really don't have to make stupid insults like those towards people you don't like because they make stupid insults. Especially when you open the door to obvious counter-attacks like ~Isn't it funny that Japan itself is very critical of tourists who damage its culture and daily lif at times?~ (although all the people not understanding the metaphor may be immune to this).

It's not like I'm motivated to take sides in an argument between a person I've never noticed and a vague group of people using a term ... but that was either a pretty stupid comment or a bad insult (maybe even both).
ShinyLotus2 hours ago
"I don't know everything, I only know what the internet knows." - Definitely not best girl.
"To ask is a moment's shame. Not to, lifelong." - I quoted with a posed look.
3 hours ago

Jul 2023
I suppose it would be the same difference between a visitor and a regular at any establishment; a visitor is unfamiliar with the tone and atmosphere of a venue new to them, as a creature released in a biome foreign and exotic to themselves, whereas the regular is broken into the atmosphere and thinks nothing of it, instead moving along as another function of the preexisting culture of this ecosystem.
3 hours ago

Jun 2024
I guess an anime tourist is a more detached version of an anime casual. Anime casuals are just someone who enjoys anime but isn't hardcore. They aren't that much involved in fandoms or the anime community, and they probably watch anime occasionally. Also, they might not go out of their way to explore the anime medium and just stick with the mainstream shows and movies.
3 hours ago

Feb 2014
TL;DR: The casual "knows his limits" while the tourist is the embodiment of the Dunning-Krueger Effect.

The word comes from the fact that one that is in the community/fanbase for a certain time will know and understand certain things, and therefore a person that does not while claiming to be part of the community/fanbase would be considered a "tourist" in it.
2 hours ago

May 2018
Both are dumb insults that are used by people who are too concerned what people on social media think about their favorite show & just need to learn how to enjoy their hobby.

More topics from this board

» What anime you think would be better If everyone was gender bent?

Thy-Veseveia - Yesterday

15 by RainyEvenings »»
2 minutes ago

» Is Higurashi the scariest anime?

Krystopher - Aug 16

33 by RSGX »»
12 minutes ago

» What would your reaction be if they started hiring celebrities to do voice-acting in most anime?

Spunkert - 12 hours ago

23 by Antivist64 »»
12 minutes ago

» Are remakes of old anime being sanitized for modern audience a good thing?

Dragevard - Aug 14

18 by Sheol01 »»
16 minutes ago

» which anime character resonates with you the most? to be specific, who's your "literally me" anime character? ( 1 2 )

FruitPunchBaka - May 8

58 by Sheol01 »»
28 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.