Forum Settings
Forums

Do you find Anime to be too safe and soulless nowadays compared to previous decades?

New
5 hours ago

Apr 2018
It seems like many new shows are sticking to tried-and-true formulas and predictable plots. There's a noticeable trend towards safer, more conventional storytelling. Remember when anime like Neon Genesis Evangelion boundaries and challenged norms? They were bold, experimental, and sometimes controversial. Are we missing out on the innovation and daring narratives that defined earlier eras?
5 hours ago

Feb 2020
We definitely lack of interesting stories and new creative ideas. Anime isn't what it used to be.
5 hours ago

Apr 2015
It's much like the video game stuff right now. Almost everything is safe and sanitized lately, and made for everyone, which makes a lot of boring and bland. I've rarely watched any new anime due to this. We see more watered ecchi anime as an example.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
4 hours ago
Sep 2020
Some genres yes, they just look so copy paste. Harems,Isekais and even some adventure anime. Im not saying all of them, but yeah they cater to what the audience wants and Im guessing in Japen they enjoy some over powered protagonist with all the girls magically falling in love with them to rule over the world.
They need to go back to real basic story telling. Where the plot is just so random but pivotal for the character involved.
4 hours ago

Sep 2016
Serafos said:
We definitely lack of interesting stories and new creative ideas. Anime isn't what it used to be.

Odd, I often saw you saying that you dislike avant garde anime, but avant garde is the definition of new creative ideas.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
4 hours ago

Feb 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
Serafos said:

Odd, I often saw you saying that you dislike avant garde anime, but avant garde is the definition of new creative ideas.
@Zarutaku Creative idea can also be something else than avant garde.
4 hours ago

Jul 2022
The animation itself has become more creative, but story and character-wise, there isn't as much uniqueness now. It's just a matter of the writing catching up to the visuals.
4 hours ago

Jul 2013
It was always soulless and too politically correct. What did you expect from something being mass-produced by multinational corporations? You don't honestly expect anime to be truly redpilled? You shouldn't, of course.
4 hours ago

Oct 2013
Not as souless as these threads are.
3 hours ago
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
No wonder even if we talk about legal loli pretty sure it gonna be serious problematic case ever unlike under 2010 lolll

3 hours ago

Jul 2024
Another thread about "Old is better than new" and no i don't find animes now soulless
What you see is what you get , Sorry my English is not the best .
3 hours ago

May 2024
There's always experimental work being made, it's just harder for it to stand out amidst all the oversaturated trash.
3 hours ago

May 2023
No.. I have stopped romanticizing and looking for 'souls' in inanimate stuff ever since my death during Victorian era..

Good Night!
3 hours ago
May 2018
That's been the case since 2010, how did it take you until now to notice? The 2008 recession made companies afraid to take risks, hence why we see less original anime compared to decades ago & why there is an overproduction of certain genre's like High Schoo Battle Harems(2011-2015) & Isekai(2015-present).
3 hours ago

Sep 2007
Reply to Serafos
Serafos said:

Agreed as not many anime keeps you on the edge of your seat or maintain your interest/attention from start to finish kind of way.
3 hours ago
Jan 2018
I disagree. Every year of anime has doldrums. There was plenty of interesting stuff like Helck and Eminence in Shadow that approached what anime stories can be differently. Were there any anime where the synopsis made you give them a chance, regardless of hype?

I agree with you that taking the factory approach to anime and rushing it out whenever it airs diminishes what anime is. But Snk took it's time and delivered something a whole bunch of people loved, even if I found it just ok.

Attack on Titan worked because MAPPA took their time to get it right. It's the same reason I'm super excited for Bleach in a few months. Pierrot is taking their time to give us something special.
2 hours ago

Mar 2023
They don't make anime for the Japanese anymore, they make anime for the whole world. Wich is why the industry doesn't take risks anymore.
1 hour ago
May 2018
Reply to Spunkert
They don't make anime for the Japanese anymore, they make anime for the whole world. Wich is why the industry doesn't take risks anymore.
@Spunkert Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's why they keep pumping out isekai & romcoms, despite how much people in the west have grown tired of them.

More topics from this board

» What anime awoken something in you or made you fascinated with a particular genre? ( 1 2 )

Reshiram_IX - May 16

52 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

» What to think when Rating an Anime.

BestListMAL - 2 hours ago

16 by JaniSIr »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Have you ever cancelled a plan with family or friends because you wanted to watch anime?

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

27 by ReturnbyNathan »»
21 minutes ago

» Visa Mastercard censorship hits Denpasoft ( An adult VN distributor)

rohan121 - Yesterday

49 by traed »»
22 minutes ago

» Who is the worst protagonist of all anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Skylar-whoo - Aug 2

267 by SwordBreaker36 »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.