Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 31, 8:34 AM
Aug 2022
I'm a bit puzzled. I've seen a post I genuinely think is stupid. How is One Piece not serious. How is racism, genocide, dehumanisation, slavery, oppression and revolution not serious. I'm not saying it's a dark series. It has its comedy and can look cartoonish at times but still has a lot of serious moments. Am I missing something other people are seeing.
Jan 31, 8:47 AM
Feb 2021
I am also critical of that post and I think it is formulated very bad. Maybe the author meant that they want more major setbacks that the main characters have to work through (e.g Marineford or Saboady) But I don’t see how not having not so many of these moments makes for a Manga that is not serious.
Jan 31, 8:50 AM
Jul 2022
I used to say one piece is mid,but now i watch nothing but one piece,so yeah
Jan 31, 8:53 AM

Sep 2016
Sometimes it feels serious, but most of the time it really doesn't.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 31, 8:55 AM
Sep 2022
goofy and light hearted shows can have mature themes like bluey
Jan 31, 8:56 AM
Aug 2022
Mr_Sai said:

but bluey doesn't deal with slavery and racism.
Jan 31, 9:23 AM
Oct 2014
probjodye said:
I used to say one piece is mid,but now i watch nothing but one piece,so yeah

me right now , I was powering through the whole cake island finally made it to ep900 and were finally on Wano!!
Jan 31, 9:45 AM
Jun 2020
How to say you are a edge/gothic teenager without saying it.

Comedy is underated.
Jan 31, 9:46 AM
Jun 2020
HeSaidArise said:
Mr_Sai said:

but bluey doesn't deal with slavery and racism.

Someone never watched Everybody Hates Chris.
Jan 31, 9:57 AM
Oct 2020
HeSaidArise said:
I'm a bit puzzled. I've seen a post I genuinely think is stupid. How is One Piece not serious. How is racism, genocide, dehumanisation, slavery, oppression and revolution not serious. I'm not saying it's a dark series. It has its comedy and can look cartoonish at times but still has a lot of serious moments. Am I missing something other people are seeing.

u meant about the guy who posted y isn't oda killing characters? well I think they just don't know how to phrase their thoughts / questions. and if that isn't the case and they are really dumb enough to think slavery, dehumanising people, racism, nepotism, political corruption, idealism, philosophies, revolutions aren't serious then idk what is considering these were the literal pillars for our ancestors lifestyle currently being portrayed in a piece of art/fiction/media
monke_guyFeb 2, 8:56 AM
Jan 31, 11:15 AM
Sep 2021
notindien said:
Mfs see G5 Luffy smiling and think the show is not serious, a couple episodes ago an island dissapeared killing all the people creating a tsunami or a girl has been kidnapped, raped and got a lethal disease leaving her child orphan, so... yeah One Piece is all goofy, Jesus...

You should probably put a spoiler tag to your comment.

If you don't know how, it's made this way:

[ spoiler ] the spoiler comes (in) here [ / spoiler ].

Everything just without the brackets in between. (ofc, besides the spoiler, lol, I mean, you still want others to be able to read your comment, lol.

Edit: For example, like this
Jan 31, 11:18 AM

Jun 2016
HeSaidArise said:
racism, genocide, dehumanisation, slavery, oppression and revolution

Of course it's funny. That's 90% of my jokes.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jan 31, 11:21 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to Loaf_dontcare
notindien said:
Mfs see G5 Luffy smiling and think the show is not serious, a couple episodes ago an island dissapeared killing all the people creating a tsunami or a girl has been kidnapped, raped and got a lethal disease leaving her child orphan, so... yeah One Piece is all goofy, Jesus...

You should probably put a spoiler tag to your comment.

If you don't know how, it's made this way:

[ spoiler ] the spoiler comes (in) here [ / spoiler ].

Everything just without the brackets in between. (ofc, besides the spoiler, lol, I mean, you still want others to be able to read your comment, lol.

Edit: For example, like this
@Loaf_dontcare my bad, I should probably delete it
Jan 31, 11:57 AM
Sep 2021
HeSaidArise said:

If I'm being honest, posts/people like that seem unmature to me.

Like edgy teenagers. lol
(No offense to every teen here 😅, I'm not speaking of everyone , just some.)

Like for such people things like death, gore, body horror, torture etc. are things that make fiction "dark".

But dark themes can be so much more.
Heartfelt things/themes like a sad/emotional song, like diseases respectively for example a relative or someone else you know who has or had a disease (my mother for example got breast cancer in the past but since it was discovered very early she was fortunately able to recover), the death of some relative or just someone you feel close to (in whatever way), depression, either having no or seeing no purpose in life or possibly even both, or reminiscing in the past/in past memories, the progress of not getting over your spouse after his/her death (like getting on with life), etc...

Heavy/dark themes can be told in so many ways.
Jan 31, 3:19 PM
Aug 2022
it takes serious themes and makes them goofy. most of us enjoy it. some dont. some guys in this thread talk about it like its war and peace but nah
Jan 31, 4:54 PM
Jan 2021
HeSaidArise said:

i think he meant that it is taking the Disney route by having happy endings and no major deaths in a while. Which is understandable like there is a season why sabody and marineford are one of the best arcs because it was a serious ending but for a while all we are seeing is our straw hats getting Ws left right and center which kinda feels like a safe route.
Jan 31, 5:02 PM
Sep 2021
HeSaidArise said:

Mmm... after thinking about it for some time, I (also) came to the conclusion that some people like for example (maybe) the OP (person) from the other thread you mean just isn't the right audience for a fictional work like One Piece.

What I mean is some people just don't like and enjoy a mostly lighthearted storytelling like in One Piece.
They don't enjoy a lighthearted, romantic tale.
Even if there are indeed (also) darker themes/things in it.

And that's totally fine since tastes are different.
Jan 31, 5:24 PM
Sep 2021
Blaze567 said:
HeSaidArise said:

i think he meant that it is taking the Disney route by having happy endings and no major deaths in a while. Which is understandable like there is a season why sabody and marineford are one of the best arcs because it was a serious ending but for a while all we are seeing is our straw hats getting Ws left right and center which kinda feels like a safe route.

I'm not the person in question, and I can't also say what I'm saying is right, respectively, correct, but I actually think that the other person (the user who made that other thread) just generally doesn’t like/enjoy a mostly lighthearted and romantic storytelling like in One Piece.

That's my personal observation. 🤔🤷‍♀️

Because everything that user criticized is thoroughly a part of One Piece to this day and will continue to be so.
Plus, that user seemingly dropped One Piece after 1000 episodes with a 3/10 rating. (Im not judging that user btw; everyone has different tastes 🤷‍♀️)
Jan 31, 7:03 PM
Jul 2021
One piece has serious moments but Oda doesn't let us feel those as he inserts unnecessary goofy moments to make it lighthearted (as more than half of One piece viewers are 15-18 yrs old).

Sugar coated Melodramatic scenes ruins the serious moments, whatever I don't take one piece seriously and just watch it for fun.
Jan 31, 9:12 PM
Apr 2020
wow that's so interesting
Jan 31, 9:46 PM
Aug 2021
HeSaidArise said:

it's light hearted on the surface as we follow the strawhats(for the most part)
but offscreen it gets dark and one piece world is generally a cruel place
Feb 1, 8:07 AM
Apr 2022
they sure laughed
Feb 2, 3:00 AM

Jan 2021
@luckysjjsjsjs Dude you forgot to delete the BBcode you must have used in that Joshi luck thread.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Feb 4, 11:28 PM
Feb 2023
There are many times when you don't feel attached to some characters because of the goffyness and comedic relief in between but yeah one piece is serious when it needs to be.
Emotional Attachment with one piece characters was missing before wano
but now I do feel bad for some characters
Feb 5, 9:04 PM
Jan 2021
Theo1899 said:
HeSaidArise said:
racism, genocide, dehumanisation, slavery, oppression and revolution

Of course it's funny. That's 90% of my jokes.

❤️❤️❤️
Feb 6, 6:19 AM
Aug 2019
People got brain rot by other shonen animes, they cant grasp the concept of a shonen story with a lot of serious subjects be silly and funny sometimes. Sometimes they dont even really like the serious subjects and just wanna see fights

More topics from this board

» It's gotten... boring

SweatyFingers - Aug 17

38 by jfdiamondstaf »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1066 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

FMmatron - Jun 24, 2023

145 by Atlas77 »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1116 Discussion

IzanaSolos - Aug 17

31 by Sun_Chan »»
3 hours ago

» 👑 One Piece Character Ranking 👑 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

nirererin - Jul 29

357 by LovelyOcean »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 89 Discussion

VARIAchan - Dec 16, 2009

47 by TheStarscream759 »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.