Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Sign of Affection
Available on Manga Store
New
Jan 21, 1:32 AM
May 2014
Not sure if it ever gets explained, but I'd really like to know the reason Yuki (or other deaf people) wear hearing aids if they are completely deaf.
ValinisJan 21, 2:40 AM
Jan 21, 1:43 AM

Sep 2020
Sadly only deaf people can answer your question.
Jan 21, 1:44 AM
Aug 2011
I believe it helps with their own comfort as a part of their identity but also those around them, like seen in a episode, identify those with hearing loss and help them if needed.
Jan 21, 1:47 AM
Aug 2021
It is explained last episode. Despite not actually hearing the sounds, she can still feel the vibrations emitted by the aids, so my guess is that it's like having a haptic mapping of the constant background soundwave/spectrum (can't hear the individual sounds but at least she knows there IS sound jumble). Not particularly useful but I believe it might help her feel more grounded or connected to her environment.

An equivalent might be being blind but having a tool that could indicate the amount of lighting through microvibrations (or white noise) so at the very least you could tell whether you are in a dark or light environment, day or night, etc (can't see the light being bounced off the environment but you can tell whether there is light present or not).

Also, it helps her telegraph to others that she can't hear.
AnimaticideJan 21, 1:56 AM
Jan 21, 2:41 AM

May 2019
I was also curious, so I googled and found a reply from a Deaf person saying this:

Jan 21, 3:56 AM
Nov 2023
I asked this question a few weeks ago and got similar replies, and after a bit of thought the only practical application I thought up was road safety. Being aware of airborne vibrations must be useful to warn of approaching traffic. And also shouted warnings of danger would stand out as louder sounds in any situation and make the deaf person look around. All conjecture of course, I don’t know anyone profoundly deaf.
Jan 21, 4:01 AM
May 2021
Same reason blind people wear sunglasses, so others know their disability at a glance.
Jan 21, 5:02 AM
Jun 2021
ZXEAN said:

They don't listen to my question. I hate them.
Jan 21, 5:43 AM
Dec 2020
Idk if I'm remembering it right but it might be to help them hear themselves when they try to speak so they know they're making the correct sounds.
Jan 21, 8:15 AM

Sep 2015
They just explained this in the recent episode. I just think the anime is doing a bad job when trying to convey her point of view (hearing) to us. It shouldn't be complete silence, she can hear some noise and feel some vibration.
Jan 21, 3:34 PM
Nov 2022
cereal_killer6 said:
ZXEAN said:

They don't listen to my question. I hate them.

wtf...💀💀💀💀💀💀💀
Jan 23, 12:36 AM
Feb 2016
Hi, as a deaf person I can answer some questions! As some others said, it can help with some vibrations (and also we actually don't know what are her decibel levels), and to help with being identified as a deaf person without explaining too much in her case. 👍
Jan 24, 12:24 AM

Sep 2016
Deaf is used (wrongly) as an umbrella term for hearing impaired, like blind is for vision impaired, etc.

Not all ""deaf"" people are 100% unable to perceive any sound.
So the aid can amplify those sounds.
So the ""deaf"" person can at least know IF there's some sound. Not discern, not comprehend, just know if and when there is any.
bruh

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 10

141 by Phixiately »»
Yesterday, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3

127 by Phixiately »»
May 18, 6:54 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 23

196 by Hachimitsuchan »»
May 14, 1:51 AM

Poll: » Yubisaki to Renren Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 27

126 by Phixiately »»
May 11, 7:24 AM

» About OST

demonaman293 - May 1

1 by RaVeN_Mortus »»
May 1, 4:30 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.