Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 10, 2023 7:07 PM

May 2023
There will be spoilers for all routes of Fate/stay night in this thread (mostly Heaven's Feel but also stuff regarding a character's death).

I've completed Fate, UBW, and HF, I've read Last Episode. I died and died and died over and over again, getting every single bad ending, I read through all of the cringe Taiga Tiger Dojos attached to the bad endings (which initially I somewhat enjoyed the Tiger Dojos, but my tastes have changed).
I haven't read Fate/hollow ataraxia because fuck slice of life fanservice bullfuckery. I'm not wasting 50 hours of my life on that.

For some more background, I got into Fate in 2013 through Deen Night and I loved it, then watched Zero and was fucking blown away. Both anime adaptations were 8/10 and 10/10's for me respectively. I also watched the first two seasons of Fate/kaleid loli pedo illya and some ova's. That might have killed my interest in the rest of Fate, looking back. Well, that and Grand Order being fucking horrible and immersion breaking bullshit that takes away all of the mystical urban fantasy elements from the franchise. Outside of FSN and Zero, as far as I know, you have no other truly groundbreaking epics in this defiled cash-cow. That's my intuition, at least.

Now, onto the topic at hand: despite liking Fate/stay night, I have to be totally frank about this as I'm tired of the FZ resentment: Fate/Zero does indeed have a more epic, dramatic and dark tone than FSN and the rest of the franchise. Someone has to say it. Again though, I haven't consumed Fate/Extra or CCC or Strange Fake or whatever the fuck but we all know it's mid at best compared to the masterpieces of FSN and Zero. I can judge these books by their covers, believe me.
In regards to Zero's dark, brooding tone: yes, it's even darker than the simp route of Heaven's Feel where Shirou abandons idealism for diseased worm coochie.

Let's just bullet point this and get it out of the way:

-Fate Zero's atmosphere is sinister and brutal in the best of ways. There's tension in every episode, there are no cooking segments that r/fatestaynight redditors love to eat up. Zero is grim and philosophical all the way through, with scheming, morally grey adult characters but also some morally righteous characters AND morally heinous characters to balance it out which I love.

-I like Shirou but let's be quite honest: Kiritsugu is indeed a cooler character, he's a stoic badass. Shirou is a power-fantasy wish fulfillment character. "But he has survivor's guilt! He's totally flawed!" That's the cope people give. Newsflash: that makes Shirou more cool if anything. It doesn't mean Shirou doesn't become stupidly, illogically powerful in the span of 20 something days of the 5th grail war in UBW and HF. Kiritsugu on the other hand has earned his power through rigorous training in the assassination arts.

-Gilgamesh is actually a boss in Zero and doesn't die in the most pathetic of ways; in FSN he dies progressively more embarrassingly with each route, to the point where he's eaten as an oishii meal by the wormslut in Heaven's Feel (the scene was even more ridiculous in the movie).

-I have to say, Kajiura's work in Zero utterly mogs her work in HF, she is such a washed, disgraced composer at this point, it's just sad.

-And to those that say "b-b-b-b-b-b-but Seiba's character was fucking BUTCHERED in Fate/Zero" all I have to say is Saber was clearly mature and idealistic in Zero. Was she flawed? Yes, and that's supposed to be bad now? Do we want a mary sue or do we want a character who is beaten down and forced to confront her flaws? Despite her flaws, Saber has a regalness to her and feels like Iri's elegant bodyguard, she feels like actual chivalrous royalty compared to Stay Night and Ataraxia where she is the bitch of a japanese redhead teen boy. (Ok I'm being a bit harsh about her FSN portrayal, but still, she feels more mature in Zero). I mean, people say Zero fucked Saber's character, what about Ataraxia where she's just fucking comedic relief as far as I can tell? Maybe I'm wrong on that one, fair enough, I will never read Ataraxia but from what I know about it, all of the characters are flanderized to comedic hell. Nasu f-slurs love it, though! Hah, of course they do.
Is it any wonder nasuverse fans resent Zero? It is actually amazing and Nasu had barely any input in its creation. Urobutcher, the superior writer, was given free reign and created a work unlike any other in this pseudointellectual franchise that exists for nothing outside of fanservice, doujins, gacha, nasu rambling about his cringe philosophies, gacha, and memes at this point. Zero stands out above the rest, and is the only one that has no baggage attached to it.

Had to get this off my chest, thoughts ssjokg?
user16726985Sep 10, 2023 7:21 PM
Sep 10, 2023 7:20 PM

Jul 2022
I think the same too, but for me I guess it's just a preference to works of the author of Fate/Zero, who also directed Madoka Magica and Psycho-Pass.
Sep 10, 2023 7:29 PM

May 2023
Reply to MKIkawa
I think the same too, but for me I guess it's just a preference to works of the author of Fate/Zero, who also directed Madoka Magica and Psycho-Pass.
@MKIkawa Have you read the VN of Fate/stay night? If not, that's ok, but Nasu fans love to disregard the opinions of anyone who prefers Zero with the elitism of "oh, so you haven't read the superior visual novel? Opinion discarded." Well, I have read the VN, and while there are moments that are amazing, the majority of it is honestly a slog. Zero is not a slog for 90% of the anime; are there slow moments here and there, sure, but overall, it is a thrilling epic that feels so much more badass. I feel any Nasu fan who disagrees with this has a distaste for dramatic tragedy. The drama of Zero is masterfully portrayed. The drama of all routes of FSN feel "shounen" through and through, which is fine but Zero's somber tragedy takes the cake.
Sep 10, 2023 7:37 PM
Aug 2021
Although I do think fate/zero is amazing (I still have it at a 10), there was just something about stay night that seemed a little better to me. I think the biggest reason is because I personally liked the masters and servants more, as well as the dynamics between them (although I do agree I like kiritsugu more than Shirou). I also thought archer’s identity reveal was super cool (ik it was obvious who he was but still lol). One thing I did like more about zero though was how there wasn’t a major focus on romance. I get that the romance is one of the main purposes in the games but I wouldn’t have minded if there was none in stay night tbh.
Sep 10, 2023 7:44 PM

May 2023
Reply to kakashis_sidehoe
Although I do think fate/zero is amazing (I still have it at a 10), there was just something about stay night that seemed a little better to me. I think the biggest reason is because I personally liked the masters and servants more, as well as the dynamics between them (although I do agree I like kiritsugu more than Shirou). I also thought archer’s identity reveal was super cool (ik it was obvious who he was but still lol). One thing I did like more about zero though was how there wasn’t a major focus on romance. I get that the romance is one of the main purposes in the games but I wouldn’t have minded if there was none in stay night tbh.
@kakashis_sidehoe That's fair. I have a harsh writing style because I get a kick out of it but despite some of my grudges toward FSN (especially Heaven's Feel) I do still like it. There was a time where I was obsessed with it (apparently not enough to force myself to read Hollow Ataraxia though), but as the years have passed, my fondness became less and less, yet my fondness of Zero remains. Zero still holds up as a masterpiece to me while the flaws of FSN have become more apparent. I disagree with many of the philosophies presented;
I disagree with how they say being a selfless Hero is stupid in UBW (even if Shirou decides he thinks it's beautiful, there's no true counter).
I strongly disagree with how Shirou

I could go on but I'll leave it there for now.
user16726985Sep 10, 2023 7:50 PM
Sep 10, 2023 7:46 PM

Dec 2021
Bro's stating the obvious
Sep 10, 2023 7:46 PM

Jul 2022
NateHiggersXIV said:
@MKIkawa Have you read the VN of Fate/stay night? If not, that's ok, but Nasu fans love to disregard the opinions of anyone who prefers Zero with the elitism of "oh, so you haven't read the superior visual novel? Opinion discarded." Well, I have read the VN, and while there are moments that are amazing, the majority of it is honestly a slog. Zero is not a slog for 90% of the anime; are there slow moments here and there, sure, but overall, it is a thrilling epic that feels so much more badass. I feel any Nasu fan who disagrees with this has a distaste for dramatic tragedy. The drama of Zero is masterfully portrayed. The drama of all routes of FSN feel "shounen" through and through, which is fine but Zero's somber tragedy takes the cake.

I've only seen the Fate and UBW routes in the Realta Nua version, but I guess I already can have a solid opinion about this since I've also read the entire Fate/Zero light novel. I enjoyed a lot Fate/Stay Night, specially Heaven's Feel, but Fate/Zero was more enjoyable because I really like this Psychological Thriller/Mystery theme that Zero has, Kiritsugu is also a better MC than Shirou in every possible way. In terms of both anime, Fate/Stay Night has arguably a better animation and I consider it the peak of animation in the anime industry, I also prefer the character designs, but Fate/Zero is better in any other way if I'm not wrong about it. Just to remember, that's just my opinion, no one needs to take this seriously.
Sep 10, 2023 7:53 PM
Aug 2021
NateHiggersXIV said:
@kakashis_sidehoe That's fair. I have a harsh writing style because I get a kick out of it but despite some of my grudges toward FSN (especially Heaven's Feel) I do still like it. There was a time where I was obsessed with it (apparently not enough to force myself to read Hollow Ataraxia though), but as the years have passed, my fondness became less and less, yet my fondness of Zero remains. Zero still holds up as a masterpiece to me while the flaws of FSN have become more apparent. I disagree with many of the philosophies presented;
I disagree with how they say being a selfless Hero is stupid in UBW (even if Shirou decides he thinks it's beautiful, there's no true counter).

What is Hollow Ataraxia?? I see a lot of people mentioning it but I kinda forgot it existed and never looked into it lol Also yeah that’s totally fair. Tbh when I watch most shows I just enjoy the ride and don’t rly focus on all of the philosophies involved (unless that’s basically the whole point of the show) but when I think about it, I do agree that there were definitely some flaws in that aspect.
Sep 10, 2023 8:19 PM

Jan 2021
Fate/Stay Night has better characters
Fate/Zero has a better plot

both are very good.

also quite the interesting username lol
salad77Sep 10, 2023 8:22 PM
Read the visual novel nerd
Sep 10, 2023 8:27 PM
Aug 2012
Maybe I'm just looking at it wrong, but to me Zero while quite good never had me as interested or engaged as FSN. Kirei's development into who he is in FSN is done wonderfully as well as the differing idealogies of 3 kings. But many other characters bored me. I don't remember Maiya having a purpose at all for example. Kiritsugu is interesting but the most interesting part is how Shirou's perception of him is drastically than reality. On his own he's fine. Caster and his master's personality doesn't go any further than insane killers. I really don't know why it doesn't click with me as I love other Gen Urobuchi works. I'm trying to see why people love it so much. it's like a 7/10 for me maybe a 8 because of how great Kirei/Gilgamesh are.
Sep 10, 2023 8:51 PM

Jan 2021
Fate/Zero is definitely better at being edgy, which is surprising because the Heaven's Feel route is edgy enough, but it was Urobuchi who wrote it, so it could only be so edgy as is usual of him. At literally any other thing? Then no.
Sep 10, 2023 11:19 PM
May 2015
What’s with all the vitriol? Zero is awesome, stay night is awesome, the end. Personally I thought Kiritsugu was cool but I enjoyed Shirou’s character a lot more. Also, just because you disagree with the philosophies, that doesn’t make them bad or poorly developed by Nasu. Maybe I need to rewatch Zero, but I found the conflict between Archer and Shirou in UBW more compelling than anything I remember seeing in Zero. The last stardust scene holds in my mind as one of my favorite anime scenes of all time. I don’t remember anything on that level in Zero. It’s still awesome and a great prequel though.
ShamankinguYohSep 10, 2023 11:48 PM
Sep 11, 2023 12:50 AM

Feb 2021
MKIkawa said:

Yap. Urobuchi is an incredible writer.
Sep 11, 2023 1:12 AM
Nov 2020
Fate Stay Night UBW is so trash that comparing it to Zero is a disgrace
Sep 11, 2023 4:04 AM

Jan 2021
I generally liked all the Fates I've seen. Which is everything except some of the parody and the magical girl show. I will say Zero being a cross over of Gen Urobuchi and Kinoko Nasu does make Zero my favourite Fate work.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Sep 11, 2023 4:12 AM
Dec 2016
In other news: "Water... wet"
Sep 11, 2023 6:04 AM
Apr 2022
salad77 said:

both are very good.

fate/zero has kiritsugu and rider
Sep 11, 2023 6:07 AM

Jan 2021
Arnav987 said:
salad77 said:

both are very good.

fate/zero has kiritsugu and rider

ok and?
doesnt change much
Sep 11, 2023 6:08 AM
Apr 2022
are you also talking about the novel ?
Sep 11, 2023 6:11 AM

Jan 2021
Arnav987 said:

ofcourse i am, why wouldnt i, the characters are at their best in the novel.
Sep 11, 2023 6:15 AM
Apr 2022
salad77 said:
Arnav987 said:

my bad
sorry salad77
Sep 11, 2023 6:17 AM

Jan 2021
Arnav987 said:
salad77 said:

my bad
sorry salad77

It's all good 👍
Sep 11, 2023 9:17 AM

Jan 2021
As an anime, i do think Zero has much higher rewatch value, and it stands among my favorite anime of all time but Stay Night as a whole absolutely clears the entirety of Zero. It didn't gain a cult following for nothing.
This is coming from a guy who only tried the VN for the H-scenes, and walked away more invested in the world and franchise than ever.

I do agree with the early parts of Grand Order being terrible though. Before Nasu came in to write Camelot and Babylonia, Orleans was the only memorable Singularity to me. The Lostbelts however, are incredible.
Sep 11, 2023 10:21 AM

Aug 2020
NateHiggersXIV said:
Zero is grim and philosophical
Philosophical in a teenager's understanding of philosophy, yeah, I sure loved listening to urobuchi's serial killer OCs talk about what kind of person God is for letting them kill kids or how he wrote the banquet scene to make rider seem correct while just shooting himself in the foot or kiritsugu getting spoonfed why his retarded extreme utilitarian worldview is completely retarded and only considered a good inner conflict by retards who have negative understanding of ethics
NateHiggersXIV said:
scheming, morally grey adult characters
Generic mages and their servants that do nothing except job to the epic magus killer and don't actually do anything for the plot unlike the masters of FSN.
NateHiggersXIV said:
Kiritsugu is indeed a cooler character, he's a stoic badass.
He's actually just a manchild who overcompensates at every step of his life. If he were truly stoic he would not have sought the miracle and would have simply continued on his present way forever. There is no good reason for him to not treat saber well, he just randomly decided this because..she's a hero in name even though the actual saber from the visual novel overlaps with his ideology by a pretty decent amount. If anything Shirou is the bigger stoic in this regard because we have written record of him actually doing this in several timelines in the visual novel while kiritsugu never had it in him to go all the way through because this is the point of his character in the novel, he is not broken enough to fit into the mold of what he has adored (according to zero completely randomly, without any proper reason, might I add) since his childhood and that bites him in the ass towards the last chapter of his life and its epilogue.
NateHiggersXIV said:
Shirou is a power-fantasy wish fulfillment character. "But he has survivor's guilt! He's totally flawed!" That's the cope people give. Newsflash: that makes Shirou more cool if anything.
A character's flaws making him more compelling and interesting are cope? His flaws go much deeper than so called survivor's guilt, but I won't bother with explaining this when you're being disingenuous this way. I can literally only remember a single fight that Shirou won on his own through proper combat in the whole visual novel. He's absolutely the opposite of what you're describing him as, his single victory is in the route where he was the most underpowered when he killed Kirei, who at that point himself was jobbing hard. Legitimately only way you can see him as wish fulfillment is if you are mentally ill yourself and secretly wish your autism gave you superpowers
NateHiggersXIV said:
It doesn't mean Shirou doesn't become stupidly, illogically powerful in the span of 20 something days of the 5th grail war in UBW and HF.
It appears that meeting your own future self that is superior to you both physically and in experience is going to have some consequences for your power level. A setting that has been noted to specially favor deviants since tsukihime gives its severely mentally ill protagonist a reality marble? Absolutely nobody could have expected this. And don't even bring up plot convenience of mental illness = superpower because kiritsugu has magic bullets that are made from his ribs because he randomly rolled a completely unique origin to himself out of nowhere at birth while Shirou had to lose everything to get a power level as "compensation" that in actuality just irreparably ruined his life as a normal person making him an individual that can only be understood by like, three people in the whole story of whom 2 are trying to kill him. Simply put power levels are not proper criticism unless it's some overblown retardation, Shirou's power level in any route is just more believable than the one displayed by kiritsugu in zero even if it's slightly more contrived than just rolling superpowers from birth, still better than being randomly born with an overpowered unique origin that perfectly fits his line of work that he uses to cheese every fight he's in
NateHiggersXIV said:
Gilgamesh is actually a boss in Zero
Let's see. In zero gilgamesh fake-kills assassin (and if memory serves right he doesn't even know that was a scheme by his master), he stands on a lamp post threateningly, he has a garbage michael bay dogfight with berserker in the sky, he acts out of character towards urobuchi's OC (who did nothing to deserve his respect), he has conversations with kirei where the latter acts like a toddler compared to his visual novel backstory making these scenes vastly inferior to their counterpart in FSN, urobuchi's OC jobs to him and then he has a standoff with Saber where he doesn't really do anything. Unless I'm forgetting something I fail to see how he's more of a "boss" compared to FSN where in the first route he killed caster and lancer, in the second he killed berserker, illya and "killed" archer and in both of those routes he was instrumental to the final plan whereas in zero he just kinda wanted the grail because it le belongs to him along with everything else. The character was concepted to be a jobber in every route for a reason but urobuchi didn't go through with this because he has a fetish for otherworldly/god figures telling men about their deepest desires. I don't care about the heaven's feel death nor do I care about the route in general in all honesty but even with it being "ridiculous" it's clearly intentional because a creature with retarded beliefs such as him shouldn't be present in the modern world anyway
she's shit basically everywhere, including fate zero. Only exception being madoka
NateHiggersXIV said:
And to those that say "b-b-b-b-b-b-but Seiba's character was fucking BUTCHERED in Fate/Zero" all I have to say is Saber was clearly mature and idealistic in Zero.
did you not read the fate route? She's both retarded and flanderized in zero. Her beliefs are changed to be opposite of kiritsugu's which should not be the case so that he can have his epic dunk on her as the author's mouthpiece. It's like urobuchi watched a show about some honorable knight sperging out and hated it so much he changed saber to be that way so he can make fun of that other completely unrelated character. I'm doubting you're not a secondary like you claim
NateHiggersXIV said:
Was she flawed? Yes, and that's supposed to be bad now?
she wasn't flawed in the fate route?
NateHiggersXIV said:
what about Ataraxia where she's just fucking comedic relief as far as I can tell?
you should google what a fandisc is
NateHiggersXIV said:
Is it any wonder nasuverse fans resent Zero? It is actually amazing and Nasu had barely any input in its creation. Urobutcher, the superior writer, was given free reign and created a work unlike any other in this pseudointellectual franchise that exists for nothing outside of fanservice, doujins, gacha, nasu rambling about his cringe philosophies, gacha, and memes at this point. Zero stands out above the rest, and is the only one that has no baggage attached to it.
I don't resent zero, I simply think it's shit and a bottom tier spinoff for whatever fate works exist, and my issues with it come from how closely tied it is to the vn superficially when urobuchi probably couldn't even bother reading the novel thoroughly. He is completely inferior to Nasu in character writing, plot, themes, prose, and basically everything that falls under storytelling. Your only proper criticism is FSN has a lot of bloat from the cooking scenes which you don't like because you need the series to be grimdark action (on a more serious note the cooking scenes are a valid criticism I would say and each to their own) instead of having moments of respite building up to the hype moments zero never even comes close to reaching

now return >>>/a/, where your bait threads will be harder to keep track of
Sep 11, 2023 10:23 AM

Sep 2014
I prefer darker stories so I’ve always thought Fate/Zero was better. I’d even say it’s a top 5 out of all the shows I’ve seen. It’s gorgeous and very well written.
Sep 11, 2023 10:34 AM

May 2021
Alright, so, firstly, putting down one work to prop up another is rather distasteful imo, so I was rather trepidatious about the subject matter of this post and the actual contents of it did nothing but confirm my suspicions. It’s an inherently elitist way of going about media consumption which does little except spark arguments. Are you allowed to prefer Zero over stay night? Of course! That's your opinion and I have no right to judge your or say you're wrong for it. However, actively going about putting down one person's work to try and underline the quality of another's is something I do disagree with on a fundamental level. Now as for your more specific points:

NateHiggersXIV said:
I haven't consumed Fate/Extra or CCC or Strange Fake or whatever the fuck but we all know it's mid at best compared to the masterpieces of FSN and Zero. I can judge these books by their covers, believe me.

This does not prime me to have a great deal of respect for your opinions. Judging books by their covers and saying things you've never even experienced are mid is incredibly elitist

NateHiggersXIV said:
-Fate Zero's atmosphere is sinister and brutal in the best of ways. There's tension in every episode, there are no cooking segments that r/fatestaynight redditors love to eat up. Zero is grim and philosophical all the way through, with scheming, morally grey adult characters but also some morally righteous characters AND morally heinous characters to balance it out which I love.

Darkness and brutality don't make a work inherently better in and of themselves. Some may find that makes it more engaging, whereas others may prefer the somewhat lighter tone offered by stay night. Speaking personally, I found the levity and almost slice-of-life-ish elements of FSN are one of my favorite parts of it and I never really cared for Zero's tone, but I won't pretend that my feelings on these subjects are inherent facts which make FSN better than FZ.

NateHiggersXIV said:
-I like Shirou but let's be quite honest: Kiritsugu is indeed a cooler character, he's a stoic badass. Shirou is a power-fantasy wish fulfillment character. "But he has survivor's guilt! He's totally flawed!" That's the cope people give. Newsflash: that makes Shirou more cool if anything. It doesn't mean Shirou doesn't become stupidly, illogically powerful in the span of 20 something days of the 5th grail war in UBW and HF. Kiritsugu on the other hand has earned his power through rigorous training in the assassination arts.

It feels like there's an inherent hypocrisy in decrying one character for being wish fulfillment while praising another on the basis of being "cooler". Power Fantasies aren't inherently bad and the reality is that most people are perfectly fine with power fantasy stories as long as they're well-written and cater to them specifically.

Regardless, both Shirou and Kiritsugu's progressions make sense for what they are trying to be: Shirou gains power and skill over the course of Stay Night because all three routes are about him achieving self-actualization in one form or another, and power progression is the most fundamental expression of such a journey in action-based series like stay night. Kiritsugu's journey is about his ideological downfall after a long life of experiences, so of course he starts out skilled and doesn't progress much.

Speaking on a personal level once again, I prefer Shirou as a character on the basis that he resonates more with me personally and I found him to be both well-written and much more compelling, but I also love Kiritsugu and acknowledge him as a similarly excellent protagonist because, well, he is. Stoic protags with trauma are one of my favorite archetypes, and traumatized characters with self-destructive bottomless willpower like Shirou are also one of my favorite archetypes, and both of them are incredibly well-executed so of course I love both of them even if I have preferences

NateHiggersXIV said:
-Gilgamesh is actually a boss in Zero and doesn't die in the most pathetic of ways; in FSN he dies progressively more embarrassingly with each route, to the point where he's eaten as an oishii meal by the wormslut in Heaven's Feel (the scene was even more ridiculous in the movie).

This is frankly just a rather shallow argument. Gilgamesh poses an immense threat in both the Fate and UBW routes, and has a noted thematic role in both of them. In the Fate route, his rivalry with and desire to possess Saber is highly emphasized, and his defeat ultimately comes at the hands of Artoria through the power of Avalon, the cold reality of the world as represented by Ea and his all-consuming egomania destroyed by the crystallization of Artoria's distant ideals and crystallized by Avalon, a climactic conclusion to that conflict consistent with the Fate route's themes (also gotta give props to Zero for retroactively adding another layer to this since this also basically serves as a great conclusion to the Banquet of Kings and a strong contrast to the fight between Gil and Iskandar)

Subsequently, in Unlimited Blade Works, he also gets a strong climactic conclusion in his fight with Shirou, with emphasis put on him how he acts as a foil to him. Thematically and narratively speaking, Shirou's character arc had already reached its climax at this point during his fight with Archer, and the Gilgamesh fight basically serves as a culmination of Shirou's growth as expressed by his achievement of Unlimited Blade Works, thus putting a strong cap on the entire route.

In Heaven's Feel, he has no strong ties to the themes being explored and the narrative has no place for him, so of course he's disposed of.

Fundamentally, there's also the simple fact that in Zero, he has to survive in order to make it to stay night, so of course he doesn't get beaten nearly as much. Relatedly, stay night emphasizes that he's a an utterly detestable character and actively makes you want to hate him from the very moment he appears much more than Zero does, so him getting defeated as thoroughly and sometimes embarrassingly as he did was designed to be immensely gratifying.

NateHiggersXIV said:
-And to those that say "b-b-b-b-b-b-but Seiba's character was fucking BUTCHERED in Fate/Zero" all I have to say is Saber was clearly mature and idealistic in Zero. Was she flawed? Yes, and that's supposed to be bad now? Do we want a mary sue or do we want a character who is beaten down and forced to confront her flaws? Despite her flaws, Saber has a regalness to her and feels like Iri's elegant bodyguard, she feels like actual chivalrous royalty compared to Stay Night and Ataraxia where she is the bitch of a japanese redhead teen boy. (Ok I'm being a bit harsh about her FSN portrayal, but still, she feels more mature in Zero).

This is the very dictionary definition of a strawman argument. The issue doesn't come from the fact that she was flawed, quite the opposite, it was the major inconsistency between her portrayal in Stay Night vs how she was in Zero. In stay night, she was very consistently portrayed as pragmatic from basically the moment she appears and honor was practically an afterthought, with flashbacks and allusions to her past painting the picture of her having a "needs of the many" mentality not unlike Kiritsugu's, a mentality consistent which perfectly compliments everything else about her backstory (her decision to be a perfect king and do what was good for her country above what she thought was right). Meanwhile, honor means everything to Zero Saber, which is a portrayal utterly jarring and entirely removed from her established characterization

NateHiggersXIV said:
I mean, people say Zero fucked Saber's character, what about Ataraxia where she's just fucking comedic relief as far as I can tell? Maybe I'm wrong on that one, fair enough, I will never read Ataraxia but from what I know about it, all of the characters are flanderized to comedic hell. Nasu f-slurs love it, though! Hah, of course they do.

Ah, the whataboutism and false equivalence, key parts of any poorly-constructed internet argument

Anyway, Ataraxia is a comedy and thus doesn't expect you to take its portrayal of its characters very seriously, nor does it ask you to try and reconcile them with mainline canon. Same goes for most other comedic and flanderized depictions of their characters like Carnival Phantasm or Emiya Gohan. Us fans eat those up because they're, quite frankly, very hilarious

NateHiggersXIV said:
Is it any wonder nasuverse fans resent Zero? It is actually amazing and Nasu had barely any input in its creation. Urobutcher, the superior writer, was given free reign and created a work unlike any other in this pseudointellectual franchise that exists for nothing outside of fanservice, doujins, gacha, nasu rambling about his cringe philosophies, gacha, and memes at this point.

"Resent" is a very strong word, the series is incredibly popular pretty much everywhere you go, no getting around that,most Nasuverse fans I know personally decently like Zero, even the ones who prefer Stay Night, and there's no arguing that it's at least well-made. Also, my statement about putting down others' work continues to apply. Like, dude, saying "her her, your entire franchise is dumb gatcha cringe, go watch this thing I like" is such a laughably elitist attitude that it's impossible to take seriously

Speaking personally again, I think Urobutchi is a fine writer, but not really one as good as everyone hypes him up to be. He's produced one work I genuinely loved (Madoka Magica), but all the other stuff I've seen from him (F/Z, Expelled From Paradise, and Saya no Uta), has kinda just been alright but never blew me away

NateHiggersXIV said:
and is the only one that has no baggage attached to it.

Oh boy, that's quite possibly the biggest outright lie in this entire thing, but I'm frankly too tired to do a watch order debate right now
Infamous_EmpireSep 11, 2023 11:08 AM
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Sep 11, 2023 11:26 AM
Mar 2022
I wouldn’t have agreed like a year ago but after rewatching zero, I agree. Man fate zero season 2 is so peak
Sep 11, 2023 11:27 AM

Jan 2021
I am not reading all of that but I agree with fate zero being better than stay night.
If you enjoyed the time you wasted, then its not a waste of time.

Sep 11, 2023 11:41 AM

Oct 2022
I'm anime only (I don't have any time in my life to trawl through any more content other than the Fate Wiki which looks out of date)
*I agree UBW is absolute trash and hated that entire arc. It takes Shirou's abilities into OP territory, and Gilgamesh was overdone and too sinister
Also the writing was just shit anyway.

Deen FSN is underrated and I find it a very good *sequel to the events of Fate/Zero.

*I agree on the Cool Factor of Kiritsugu, although I'm more a fan of Kirei (in terms of cool factor- but face it both of them are fucking horrible people) and the Kiritsugu/Kirei fight at the end of Fate Zero gets me pumped even though it's not even animated that well.
Both of them killed Irisviel and I feel so bad for her, she got a really bad deal in that anime. Urobochi is a bastard. But a good writer...

In a way I feel like Fate/Zero is probably the number one reason the entire franchise has any following. Whenever people want to get into Fate the top recommendation is "go watch F/Z" and they do and it hooks people, and from there their expectations are probably a little too high. Since ufotable produced UBW they gravitate toward that and it's a major letdown because the original 2006 anime is far better written (and in my humble view looks better actually)
The only part of it I never watched was that magical girl show
Sep 11, 2023 1:13 PM

Jun 2021
This should be common knowledge
Sep 11, 2023 1:48 PM
May 2022
I love Zero and UBW to equally to even bother choosing.
I liked that dark atmosphere and more mature characters in Zero; I also Iiked the romance and somewhat sexual tension between Shirou and Rin. Zero has the best servant, my boy Rider; UBW has Archer being cool all the time. And Lancer is just a playboy.
Sep 12, 2023 8:55 AM
May 2015
SuperAdventure said:
I'm anime only (I don't have any time in my life to trawl through any more content other than the Fate Wiki which looks out of date)
*I agree UBW is absolute trash and hated that entire arc. It takes Shirou's abilities into OP territory, and Gilgamesh was overdone and too sinister

Deen FSN is underrated and I find it a very good *sequel to the events of Fate/Zero.

*I agree on the Cool Factor of Kiritsugu, although I'm more a fan of Kirei (in terms of cool factor- but face it both of them are fucking horrible people) and the Kiritsugu/Kirei fight at the end of Fate Zero gets me pumped even though it's not even animated that well.
Both of them killed Irisviel and I feel so bad for her, she got a really bad deal in that anime. Urobochi is a bastard. But a good writer...

In a way I feel like Fate/Zero is probably the number one reason the entire franchise has any following. Whenever people want to get into Fate the top recommendation is "go watch F/Z" and they do and it hooks people, and from there their expectations are probably a little too high. Since ufotable produced UBW they gravitate toward that and it's a major letdown because the original 2006 anime is far better written (and in my humble view looks better actually)

I don’t know how someone could be so wrong about literally everything being stated but that’s anime fans I guess.
Sep 12, 2023 9:55 AM
Oct 2021
Fate/Zero was my first exposure to the series (mainly because I had absolutely no idea how to watch it). Personally, I also prefer Zero over Stay Night for several reasons. But the most important one is just that dark atmosphere: here you actually feel that it's a game of life and death, where things like heroism or compassion are not welcome, and foul play is the daily bread. There was that somewhere in Stay Night, but it didn't grow up to the prequel in my opinion. I also found Servants much more interesting, especially the conversation in the garden about what it means to be king was brilliant to me. I still like Stay Night, but I think Zero will remain the best Fate for me so far.
Sep 12, 2023 6:20 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Ionliosite2
Fate/Zero is definitely better at being edgy, which is surprising because the Heaven's Feel route is edgy enough, but it was Urobuchi who wrote it, so it could only be so edgy as is usual of him. At literally any other thing? Then no.
@Ionliosite2 Based as hell
Sep 12, 2023 6:32 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to SuperAdventure

@SuperAdventure
SuperAdventure said:

In a way I feel like Fate/Zero is probably the number one reason the entire franchise has any following.

Bait or mental retardation lmfaoooooo
Sep 12, 2023 6:33 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Infamous_Empire
Alright, so, firstly, putting down one work to prop up another is rather distasteful imo, so I was rather trepidatious about the subject matter of this post and the actual contents of it did nothing but confirm my suspicions. It’s an inherently elitist way of going about media consumption which does little except spark arguments. Are you allowed to prefer Zero over stay night? Of course! That's your opinion and I have no right to judge your or say you're wrong for it. However, actively going about putting down one person's work to try and underline the quality of another's is something I do disagree with on a fundamental level. Now as for your more specific points:

NateHiggersXIV said:
I haven't consumed Fate/Extra or CCC or Strange Fake or whatever the fuck but we all know it's mid at best compared to the masterpieces of FSN and Zero. I can judge these books by their covers, believe me.

This does not prime me to have a great deal of respect for your opinions. Judging books by their covers and saying things you've never even experienced are mid is incredibly elitist

NateHiggersXIV said:

Darkness and brutality don't make a work inherently better in and of themselves. Some may find that makes it more engaging, whereas others may prefer the somewhat lighter tone offered by stay night. Speaking personally, I found the levity and almost slice-of-life-ish elements of FSN are one of my favorite parts of it and I never really cared for Zero's tone, but I won't pretend that my feelings on these subjects are inherent facts which make FSN better than FZ.

NateHiggersXIV said:

It feels like there's an inherent hypocrisy in decrying one character for being wish fulfillment while praising another on the basis of being "cooler". Power Fantasies aren't inherently bad and the reality is that most people are perfectly fine with power fantasy stories as long as they're well-written and cater to them specifically.

Regardless, both Shirou and Kiritsugu's progressions make sense for what they are trying to be: Shirou gains power and skill over the course of Stay Night because all three routes are about him achieving self-actualization in one form or another, and power progression is the most fundamental expression of such a journey in action-based series like stay night. Kiritsugu's journey is about his ideological downfall after a long life of experiences, so of course he starts out skilled and doesn't progress much.

Speaking on a personal level once again, I prefer Shirou as a character on the basis that he resonates more with me personally and I found him to be both well-written and much more compelling, but I also love Kiritsugu and acknowledge him as a similarly excellent protagonist because, well, he is. Stoic protags with trauma are one of my favorite archetypes, and traumatized characters with self-destructive bottomless willpower like Shirou are also one of my favorite archetypes, and both of them are incredibly well-executed so of course I love both of them even if I have preferences

NateHiggersXIV said:

This is frankly just a rather shallow argument. Gilgamesh poses an immense threat in both the Fate and UBW routes, and has a noted thematic role in both of them. In the Fate route, his rivalry with and desire to possess Saber is highly emphasized, and his defeat ultimately comes at the hands of Artoria through the power of Avalon, the cold reality of the world as represented by Ea and his all-consuming egomania destroyed by the crystallization of Artoria's distant ideals and crystallized by Avalon, a climactic conclusion to that conflict consistent with the Fate route's themes (also gotta give props to Zero for retroactively adding another layer to this since this also basically serves as a great conclusion to the Banquet of Kings and a strong contrast to the fight between Gil and Iskandar)

Subsequently, in Unlimited Blade Works, he also gets a strong climactic conclusion in his fight with Shirou, with emphasis put on him how he acts as a foil to him. Thematically and narratively speaking, Shirou's character arc had already reached its climax at this point during his fight with Archer, and the Gilgamesh fight basically serves as a culmination of Shirou's growth as expressed by his achievement of Unlimited Blade Works, thus putting a strong cap on the entire route.

In Heaven's Feel, he has no strong ties to the themes being explored and the narrative has no place for him, so of course he's disposed of.

Fundamentally, there's also the simple fact that in Zero, he has to survive in order to make it to stay night, so of course he doesn't get beaten nearly as much. Relatedly, stay night emphasizes that he's a an utterly detestable character and actively makes you want to hate him from the very moment he appears much more than Zero does, so him getting defeated as thoroughly and sometimes embarrassingly as he did was designed to be immensely gratifying.

NateHiggersXIV said:
-And to those that say "b-b-b-b-b-b-but Seiba's character was fucking BUTCHERED in Fate/Zero" all I have to say is Saber was clearly mature and idealistic in Zero. Was she flawed? Yes, and that's supposed to be bad now? Do we want a mary sue or do we want a character who is beaten down and forced to confront her flaws? Despite her flaws, Saber has a regalness to her and feels like Iri's elegant bodyguard, she feels like actual chivalrous royalty compared to Stay Night and Ataraxia where she is the bitch of a japanese redhead teen boy. (Ok I'm being a bit harsh about her FSN portrayal, but still, she feels more mature in Zero).

This is the very dictionary definition of a strawman argument. The issue doesn't come from the fact that she was flawed, quite the opposite, it was the major inconsistency between her portrayal in Stay Night vs how she was in Zero. In stay night, she was very consistently portrayed as pragmatic from basically the moment she appears and honor was practically an afterthought, with flashbacks and allusions to her past painting the picture of her having a "needs of the many" mentality not unlike Kiritsugu's, a mentality consistent which perfectly compliments everything else about her backstory (her decision to be a perfect king and do what was good for her country above what she thought was right). Meanwhile, honor means everything to Zero Saber, which is a portrayal utterly jarring and entirely removed from her established characterization

NateHiggersXIV said:
I mean, people say Zero fucked Saber's character, what about Ataraxia where she's just fucking comedic relief as far as I can tell? Maybe I'm wrong on that one, fair enough, I will never read Ataraxia but from what I know about it, all of the characters are flanderized to comedic hell. Nasu f-slurs love it, though! Hah, of course they do.

Ah, the whataboutism and false equivalence, key parts of any poorly-constructed internet argument

Anyway, Ataraxia is a comedy and thus doesn't expect you to take its portrayal of its characters very seriously, nor does it ask you to try and reconcile them with mainline canon. Same goes for most other comedic and flanderized depictions of their characters like Carnival Phantasm or Emiya Gohan. Us fans eat those up because they're, quite frankly, very hilarious

NateHiggersXIV said:
Is it any wonder nasuverse fans resent Zero? It is actually amazing and Nasu had barely any input in its creation. Urobutcher, the superior writer, was given free reign and created a work unlike any other in this pseudointellectual franchise that exists for nothing outside of fanservice, doujins, gacha, nasu rambling about his cringe philosophies, gacha, and memes at this point.

"Resent" is a very strong word, the series is incredibly popular pretty much everywhere you go, no getting around that,most Nasuverse fans I know personally decently like Zero, even the ones who prefer Stay Night, and there's no arguing that it's at least well-made. Also, my statement about putting down others' work continues to apply. Like, dude, saying "her her, your entire franchise is dumb gatcha cringe, go watch this thing I like" is such a laughably elitist attitude that it's impossible to take seriously

Speaking personally again, I think Urobutchi is a fine writer, but not really one as good as everyone hypes him up to be. He's produced one work I genuinely loved (Madoka Magica), but all the other stuff I've seen from him (F/Z, Expelled From Paradise, and Saya no Uta), has kinda just been alright but never blew me away

NateHiggersXIV said:
and is the only one that has no baggage attached to it.

Oh boy, that's quite possibly the biggest outright lie in this entire thing, but I'm frankly too tired to do a watch order debate right now
@Infamous_Empire Thank you for being so correct.
Sep 12, 2023 6:39 PM

May 2021
Reply to ELtaaaaaa
@Infamous_Empire Thank you for being so correct.
@ELtaaaaaa

You are very welcome
Barely catching my breath!
Lay my eyes on the crest!
Gonna square up to all of the heat that is left!
So I carry the torch! To Inferno! Inferno!
Sep 12, 2023 6:46 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Infamous_Empire
@ELtaaaaaa

You are very welcome
Like not even trying to just hate on Zero but its fans really feel the need to shit on SN for no reason. With nothing to really stand on either cause yeah it's worse...
Sep 14, 2023 3:13 PM

Oct 2021
the visual novel for fate stay night is the only really great thing, zero is boring
Sep 21, 2023 7:47 PM
Jul 2022
NateHiggersXIV said:

I disagree with the thing about the philosophies thing. I don't think you are supposed to agree with Shirou in either unlimited blade works or heavens feel. They both present extremes of his beliefs and highlight the flaws in both paths. Becoming a completely selfless hero is not a good thing because you'll just hurt those around you and it's not good for you but there is still a beauty in idealism. On the other hand discarding these ideals to be selfish has it's merits because sometimes you have to care about yourself and those closest to you. it's just realistic but Shirou obviously takes it too far because it is literally Sakura vs the whole world.
Oct 20, 2023 2:00 AM
Oct 2022
Fate zero is a masterpiece
It's obvious zero is better than all stay night
Stay night just a good anime nothing more.
I know vn is far better but not compare to zero.

If the 3 routes were actually one route all together maybe could be better, but in that situation no.

Zero has better character design
And ofcours way better artstyle
Hf I think it was cgi(in term of artstyle I mean) and I didn't like it.
Just go and watch garden of sinners
The only work of fate universe despite zero that must be watched

With better character design and artstyle even better than zero
It's tye best UFOTABLE work

Fate zero > garden of sinners > fate Stay night

Other fate except camelot are horrible
Oct 20, 2023 2:16 AM
Jul 2018
That isn’t saying much. If you wanna be treated to some actually good writing, watch The Garden of Sinners.
Oct 24, 2023 6:09 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Zero01guard
Fate zero is a masterpiece
It's obvious zero is better than all stay night
Stay night just a good anime nothing more.
I know vn is far better but not compare to zero.

If the 3 routes were actually one route all together maybe could be better, but in that situation no.

Zero has better character design
And ofcours way better artstyle
Hf I think it was cgi(in term of artstyle I mean) and I didn't like it.
Just go and watch garden of sinners
The only work of fate universe despite zero that must be watched

With better character design and artstyle even better than zero
It's tye best UFOTABLE work

Fate zero > garden of sinners > fate Stay night

Other fate except camelot are horrible
@Zero01guard "I know vn is far better but not compare to Zero"
you cannot make that statement without reading the vn lol

i pretty much agree with the rest of your statement, though id say Garden of Sinners > Zero
Oct 25, 2023 12:24 AM
Oct 2022
Reply to salad77
@Zero01guard "I know vn is far better but not compare to Zero"
you cannot make that statement without reading the vn lol

i pretty much agree with the rest of your statement, though id say Garden of Sinners > Zero
@salad77 fate stay night vn has 3 routes, it's like which one of them is one story or we can say stay night has 3 story but zero is light novel and one story

You can compare one story(route) of stay night to zero
Not all routes in same time.

And all three without another is not perfect, actually has so much problem
Just Saber route is better then others in term of perfection

Only if all 3 routes mixed together
In that situation perhaps would be better.

But for now it's not and zero is better.

And about garden of sinners
Yeah is masterpiece and I loved it
But I think zero is little bit better
Oct 25, 2023 2:05 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Zero01guard
@salad77 fate stay night vn has 3 routes, it's like which one of them is one story or we can say stay night has 3 story but zero is light novel and one story

You can compare one story(route) of stay night to zero
Not all routes in same time.

And all three without another is not perfect, actually has so much problem
Just Saber route is better then others in term of perfection

Only if all 3 routes mixed together
In that situation perhaps would be better.

But for now it's not and zero is better.

And about garden of sinners
Yeah is masterpiece and I loved it
But I think zero is little bit better
@Zero01guard
But thats the thing, all 3 routes are important for each other and they cannot be seperated.
we are talking about Fate/Stay Night as a whole, not singular routes. of course a single route isnt comparable to zero, because each route explores a certain part that the others dont, FSN shouldnt be treated as 3 different stories.
FSN is 1 Game (VN) and Zero is 1 Novel (technically 4 but whatever)

it is completely fine if you like or prefer Zero.
Oct 25, 2023 11:32 PM
Oct 2022
Reply to salad77
@Zero01guard
But thats the thing, all 3 routes are important for each other and they cannot be seperated.
we are talking about Fate/Stay Night as a whole, not singular routes. of course a single route isnt comparable to zero, because each route explores a certain part that the others dont, FSN shouldnt be treated as 3 different stories.
FSN is 1 Game (VN) and Zero is 1 Novel (technically 4 but whatever)

it is completely fine if you like or prefer Zero.
@salad77 that exactly I was trying to say
Can't compare a vn to light novel
They have too difference.

That's why I said stay night vn must be mixed for anime to be one and able compare it to anything

In this situation only can compare an anime to anime.
Zero to heavens feel or zero to unlimited blade works.

That's why adaptation a vn isn't a good idea because it's a game and has routes.

Even Saber route that is a perfect sequel for zero and better than others
Hasen't a great adaptation

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KiraYoshikage - Apr 7, 2012

529 by CondeSebastian »»
Yesterday, 3:10 AM

» What's next?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 10

14 by Spoopy69 »»
May 17, 2:17 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - May 12, 2012

589 by frieren2024 »»
Apr 26, 4:02 AM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2012

1325 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:30 PM

Poll: » Fate/Zero 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jun 16, 2012

655 by Joel77 »»
Mar 25, 11:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.