Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 31, 2023 1:49 PM
Aug 2022
I was just wondering if I should watch this in sub or dub? I don't mind watching shows in sub but if I had to pick between the two I would probably choose dub over sub. Also, this will be the first romance that I watch. Thanks
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 31, 2023 1:55 PM
Aug 2019
I will be in the minority. But I watched it both subbed and dubbed and honestly I didn’t really like it subbed. But dubbed made me laugh a lot. It is up to preference, but I think dub is really good and funnier
Jan 31, 2023 1:57 PM
Jan 2021
i watched both and i found the dub really entertaining
Jan 31, 2023 1:59 PM

May 2017
I actually prefer the dub. The casting was quite good and the adapted script actually holds up pretty well.
Jan 31, 2023 1:59 PM
Aug 2022
Both are absolutely fantastic, but the dub pushes past by just a bit due to the amazing narrator.
Jan 31, 2023 2:03 PM
Sep 2022
Most shows are better subbed but for this one I guess it really depends. Kaguya sama dub goes further beyond and just makes the comedy hit even harder at times. Up to personal tastes though
Jan 31, 2023 2:03 PM
Aug 2021
I’m obviously biased since I usually just prefer dub anyways. But I’ve tried both dub and sub for this show, and while the sub is of course great, the humor of the dub just makes it sooooo much funnier for me.

So if you’re fine with watching dubs, I’d honestly recommend just going with that, as this is one of my favorites dubs ever.

Although you could always just check out some side by side comparison clips on Youtube to see which one suits your humor more
Jan 31, 2023 2:05 PM
Jul 2022
I really like the narrator so dub
Jan 31, 2023 2:15 PM
Jan 2022
sub if you want a more serious tone.
dub if you want a laugh.
Jan 31, 2023 2:19 PM
Jun 2021
The dub is better by far. The narrator makes it so much better and everyone involved just did an amazing job
Jan 31, 2023 2:23 PM
Aug 2022
Thank you everyone for your replies. Based on all of your responses, it would seem that the dub is better, or very good at the very least, so that is what I will be watching it in. Thank you all again!
Jan 31, 2023 2:27 PM
May 2022
Dub. At first I wasn’t too into it but after a few episodes I was reallllly happy I chose dub. It’s too damn good.
Jan 31, 2023 2:44 PM
Aug 2022
Dub. The narrator is amazing.
Jan 31, 2023 2:48 PM

May 2015
Don't know what people in this thread are smoking. The dub is annoying, the narrator isn't funny at all, and the sub has some of the best VA work of any anime.

Jan 31, 2023 2:54 PM

Mar 2020
Both are good. Watched it subbed, then on my (not fully) rewatch I decided to try out english dub and it's still fun. It's up to preference, but as someone who suffered with some soulless voice acting cough cough spanish Jojo's part 1 cough cough I can say that this one is one of the few shows I would recommend in either sub or dub.

If you like narrator on drugs, go for dub.
If you prefer a more faithful adaptation, go for sub.

There are some YouTube clips with some of the funniest moments from dub, so you can check those out if you don't like to rewatch (after, of course, finishing the anime for the first time) :)

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Jan 31, 2023 3:04 PM

Mar 2020
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Don't know what people in this thread are smoking. The dub is annoying, the narrator isn't funny at all, and the sub has some of the best VA work of any anime.

I wouldn't say 'all' the anime. Imo Marina Inoue did a 100/10 job at her Sodachi Oikura role (Owarimonogatari and Zoku Owarimonogatari, the difference in the tone is surprising). As for JP dub, I'd say the most notable VAs are Chika's (I'm a Machikado Mazoku fan, so hearing her voice was a bliss. This one is mostly preference, btw), Kaguya (obvious reason) and Ishigami. As for the rest... well, they are there. They are good but not the best.

I'm also talking as someone who only studied japanese and doesn't catch 50% of anime conversations, so my whole opinion may be wrong. What I can say for sure, though, it's that at least the VAs aren't as high-pitched nor irritating as some other school shows, which is a bonus for me.

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Jan 31, 2023 3:05 PM
Aug 2021
dub is hilarious and my preference
Jan 31, 2023 3:22 PM

Aug 2022
watch sub first then dub. both of them are perfect.
Jan 31, 2023 3:25 PM

Jul 2022
What I like from the dub is the narrator, but I prefer the sub in general
Jan 31, 2023 3:34 PM
Feb 2021
I liked the dub but it really fell off in season 3
Jan 31, 2023 3:45 PM
Feb 2021
I like both, in this instance it’s a personal taste
Jan 31, 2023 4:10 PM
Jan 2021
this is a really complicated question for this particular anime actually lol
the main joke with the narrator in the sub is that he's taking everything way too seriously, treating it all like an intense wrestling match he's commentating. In the dub however, the lines are delivered such that the narrator is clearly in on the joke and laughing alongside the audience. this ruins a lot of the original quality, but the general over the top nature of the anime is preserved, and often enhanced by the dub performances. both are really good, but they're good for different reasons.
Jan 31, 2023 4:24 PM
Sep 2020
I hate the dub so so much.
The styles of humor are completely different, so it’s not just a matter of language. They’re different shows, basically. I watched subbed before dubbed came out, so I’m biased towards that version, but really it comes down to comedic preference.

That said, I do think that sub is better in every other way. The voices fit the characters better, and the voice acting is phenomenal, as apposed to the dub where the voice acting is OK at best.
VarekkJan 31, 2023 4:27 PM
Jan 31, 2023 4:41 PM
Jul 2020
I recommend the sub for a first viewing, but the dub is absolutely worth a rewatch.
Jan 31, 2023 4:41 PM
Sep 2018
DO NOT LISTEN TO THESE PEOPLE! The sub is always better and is better in this case as well. Especially the narrator in the sun is amazing and the dub it is just kinda cringy.
Jan 31, 2023 4:44 PM
Jul 2021
I suggest watching it in the dub, it’s hilarious
Jan 31, 2023 4:46 PM

Jun 2021
One of the few shows where I 100% prefer the dub
Jan 31, 2023 4:49 PM
Apr 2021
Sub because the voice of Kaguya is amazing
Jan 31, 2023 4:53 PM

Jan 2013
It's a perfectly good dub, so go ahead and start with that. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 31, 2023 4:59 PM
Jan 2023
Sub. Aoi Koga does an absolutely amazing job as Shinomiya in this.
Jan 31, 2023 5:11 PM
Mar 2022
Dub is funnier and way more inviting to watch
Jan 31, 2023 5:17 PM
Mar 2021
I haven’t watched s2 yet because my site doesn’t have dub. Imo the dub is much funnier
Jan 31, 2023 5:23 PM

Mar 2021
Go for the dub if u prefer it, n its very good too
Jan 31, 2023 5:25 PM
Dec 2020
choose your preference
Jan 31, 2023 5:29 PM

Jan 2013
BluephoenixCG said:
the main joke with the narrator in the sub is that he's taking everything way too seriously, treating it all like an intense wrestling match he's commentating. In the dub however, the lines are delivered such that the narrator is clearly in on the joke and laughing alongside the audience. this ruins a lot of the original quality, but the general over the top nature of the anime is preserved, and often enhanced by the dub performances. both are really good, but they're good for different reasons.
The dub does "ruin" the joke of narrating events very intensely/seriously, but it also succeeds in being both funny and entertaining in its own right.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 31, 2023 5:31 PM

Jan 2013
Varekk said:
I hate the dub so so much.
The styles of humor are completely different, so it’s not just a matter of language. They’re different shows, basically. I watched subbed before dubbed came out, so I’m biased towards that version, but really it comes down to comedic preference.

That said, I do think that sub is better in every other way. The voices fit the characters better, and the voice acting is phenomenal, as apposed to the dub where the voice acting is OK at best.
I'm curious, not counting the narrator, what is so different about the sub/dub in terms of comedy?
Jan 31, 2023 5:32 PM
Jan 2021
LostSpectre said:
BluephoenixCG said:
The dub does "ruin" the joke of narrating events very intensely/seriously, but it also succeeds in being both funny and entertaining in its own right.

I mean yeah I did say as much
I've watched the show all the way through both subbed and dubbed, and had thoroughly enjoyable experiences both times. they're both really funny and make for an amazing anime, but for different reasons. the dub plays into the over the top performances and sheer ridiculousness of the situations, whereas the sub tends to intentionally take things more seriously to play up that ridiculousness through irony and contrast
Jan 31, 2023 5:47 PM

Jan 2013
BluephoenixCG said:
LostSpectre said:

I mean yeah I did say as much
I've watched the show all the way through both subbed and dubbed, and had thoroughly enjoyable experiences both times. they're both really funny and make for an amazing anime, but for different reasons. the dub plays into the over the top performances and sheer ridiculousness of the situations, whereas the sub tends to intentionally take things more seriously to play up that ridiculousness through irony and contrast
Oh, the way your comment was worded gave me the impression you had a fairly negative viewpoint of the dub narrator, but I could be mistaken. 
Jan 31, 2023 5:57 PM
Oct 2016
I've never really watch it in dub, I guess it's never too late to watch it again. I'm curious by what makes it funnier in dub.
Jan 31, 2023 5:58 PM
Jun 2021
THELEOMYSTER said:
I was just wondering if I should watch this in sub or dub? I don't mind watching shows in sub but if I had to pick between the two I would probably choose dub over sub. Also, this will be the first romance that I watch. Thanks

Both are great. It comes down to personal preference
Jan 31, 2023 5:59 PM
Jan 2023
Dubbed all the way for this anime
Jan 31, 2023 6:22 PM
May 2021
Don’t listen to these dubs fanatics. Sub is much better other than the narrator that is superior in English, but you will lose so much more by watching it dub (Kaguya’s o kawai o koto, China’s VA is unmatched, Shirogane’s VA is freaking OPM, and no DIO for dub, come on now this shouldn’t a debate).

Actually it’s up to ur preferences, watch it however you want to. They’re both good
Jan 31, 2023 6:29 PM

Jan 2013
Finn-the-Human said:
I've never really watch it in dub, I guess it's never too late to watch it again. I'm curious by what makes it funnier in dub.
They're talking about the narrator, who sounds like he's gone insane from having to put up with Kaguya/Shinomiya's romantic stalemate. 
Jan 31, 2023 6:37 PM
May 2021
Ishinashi31 said:
Jap voice acting is peak. Eng voice acting is barely mediocre. If you prefer eng dub you need new ears

that's true most of the time but Kaguya has a god tier dub and it sounds like you have even given it a shot. Look at how much people disagree with you above lol, its actually a great dub
Jan 31, 2023 7:25 PM
Jan 2022
I have only watched this in sub all three seasons
Jan 31, 2023 7:32 PM
Dec 2021
THELEOMYSTER said:

The Japanese dub is so amazing! you should here Kaguya's iconic line
Jan 31, 2023 11:27 PM
Oct 2021
hhiskey said:
I will be in the minority. But I watched it both subbed and dubbed and honestly I didn’t really like it subbed. But dubbed made me laugh a lot. It is up to preference, but I think dub is really good and funnier

I agree! I watched the first five episodes of season 3 as they aired, and was wondering why the show wasn’t as funny as before. As soon as the dub came out, though, it was just a fantastic as the previous seasons!
Jan 31, 2023 11:45 PM
Feb 2021
There are many people saying that the dub version is better or at least more entertaining but i don't know i just feel that the japanese voice actors are really really good in showing emotions thru their voices. So for me sub all the time. Almost every anime has better japanese voice actors so sub is almost every time better than the dub version of any anime. I mean listen to Tsuda Kenjirou that man has the best voice i have ever heard in any entertainment program (anime, drama, movies,....). He isn't just better than the japanese voice actors no i mean he has really the best voice i have ever heard in the entertainment industry all around the world.
Feb 1, 2023 12:37 AM
Aug 2022
can't go wrong with sub
Feb 1, 2023 12:43 AM
Oct 2021
I found the Dub got the character perfectly down
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Mar 30, 2019

484 by Xeehad »»
Aug 27, 2:47 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23, 2019

273 by Catalaxia »»
Aug 14, 3:03 PM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 16, 2019

251 by Salman_-_-_ »»
Aug 13, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2019

262 by Salman_-_-_ »»
Aug 13, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Tensai-tachi no Renai Zunousen Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2019

209 by _untitled »»
Jul 16, 2:05 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.