Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2023 2:10 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
Well, this was a Lupin movie all right, through and through. The same copy paste formula with the same predictable twists. But this time there is CGI animation, and not the good CGI like in Lupin the 3rd: The First. But like on the level of an average Polygon Pictures anime, and perhaps not even as good as that. It was randomly very bloody compared to the average Lupin movie, and I think the gore looked very ugly and out of place in CG.

The best part about this movie is that now Cat's Eye has its first own official entry with a dub, and it has a nice vocal cast, especially Ai's voice. Hitomi's voice though didn't quite match her appearance, but that may just be a nitpick. Rui sounded just as I imagined her. (The only previous dub for the Cat's Eye members was in City Hunter Movie: Shinjuku Private Eyes where they had some cameos, but that wasn't an official Cat's Eye anime like this one was. Plus, now Toshi has his first dubbed performance)

This crossover made for some nice fan-service and was some nice "turn off your brain" entertainment, but the stunts pulled in this movie were a little too much even with that in mind.

It was interesting how they created a past for Lupin and the girls' father, but it seems like a major oversight to not add a similar story for Fujiko and the girls, as they actually met in the original Cat's Eye series (though Fujiko was then only called "Lupin's bride"). So much could have been done with that past connection, but oh well.

Zenigata and Toshi didn't do much in this film (though I found it really funny that Toshi was a huge Zenigata fan. His failures make so much more sense now, haha), and the rest of Lupin's gang did only slightly more. Even Lupin didn't feel so essential in this movie. It was kind of a Cat's Eye movie, but with the plot points and characters of a Lupin film set around them. It was kind of weird.

There weren't any new Yuji Ohno vocal tracks, which was also a downer. Though the new Cat's Eye theme by Anri was very nice.

It's called Lupin vs Cat's Eye, but even more so than the Conan crossover, it's kind of false advertisement. I wish it was more of a vs movie, but any time they faced off, it wasn't much of a match. Lupin beat them easily. It would have been nice to actually see some back and forth of who were the better thieves. That's why the movie was actually pretty interesting when it first started as it seemed like that was what it was gonna be, but instead it very quickly became less of a vs and more of a team up. The teaming up wasn't bad, and it led to some great character moments with Lupin and Ai, but perhaps there could have been more heist antics between the two throughout the film and less crazy syndicate trying to do some weird ritual. 

All in all, I had fun but I don't see myself watching this again anytime soon.
anime-primeJan 26, 2023 2:57 PM
Jan 26, 2023 6:33 PM

Jan 2023
Personally, I quite like it overall more for the Lupin's interactions with the Cat's eye of how they were somehow connected and concluded nicely in the end. But the story played way too similar beats of the The First movie coincidently (given they are both 3D) except lacked the imaginative scenarios and actions. 
Jan 27, 2023 1:16 AM

Jan 2013
The production of this and Lupin Zero should've been switched around, Lupin v Cats made by Telecom Animation Film, given 6-7 episodes, some more ecchi scenes for the Kisugi sisters while Zero gets to be the CG abomination.

Jan 27, 2023 8:09 AM

Oct 2018
Dude sliced his palm with blood trickling like juice, but later showed no wounds or cuts.
~Spiritual Healing~

Jan 27, 2023 9:56 AM
Dec 2022
Anybody else think it was funny that there were mentions of both Heinz and Berger names? No, just me?
Jan 27, 2023 12:33 PM

Nov 2013
Never seen any Lupin the Third anime before but this was decent! What threw me for a loop was that the artstyle made me think I was watching a Japanese version of the American cartoon Archer
Jan 27, 2023 2:20 PM
May 2015
EASTER EGGS - Nothing spoilery

A cameo from Ryo Saeba

And one painting is of Clarisse from CAGLIOSTRO.

SOURCE
https://www.reddit.com/r/lupinthe3rd/comments/10mpctw/lupin_3rd_vs_cats_eye_easter_egg_in_painting/
https://www.reddit.com/r/CityHunter/comments/10mcrmx/ryo_saeba_cameo_in_cats_eye_vs_lupin_iii/
Haneken2086Feb 1, 2023 10:13 AM
Jan 28, 2023 5:44 AM
Dec 2021
Quite fun compared to Lupin Zero, dk why. I know it has a lot of issues and flaws but fun is the number 1 thing i bear in mind when i rate lupin so it was good.
Jan 29, 2023 4:37 PM
Jul 2015
Legal ways to watch it besides Prime? I've got Prime but not the Japanese one and even if I know where to watch it by other methods I first want to try a legal / licensed one.
Jan 29, 2023 7:38 PM
Community Mod
Peacemaker

Jan 2017
cedwino said:
Legal ways to watch it besides Prime? I've got Prime but not the Japanese one and even if I know where to watch it by other methods I first want to try a legal / licensed one.
It's on Amazon Prime worldwide, so you should be able to watch it there. That's the only legal way to watch it.
Jan 29, 2023 7:51 PM
Jul 2015
anime-prime said:
cedwino said:
It's on Amazon Prime worldwide, so you should be able to watch it there. That's the only legal way to watch it.

Right!!! I searched again and it was there! Thank you very much.
Feb 1, 2023 1:33 AM
Nov 2010
What the, this Lupin doens't even look like Lupin. Something to do with the distance between eyes and brows..
Feb 5, 2023 5:06 AM
Apr 2015
It's like they wanted to take the rivalry of Ai Rohan and Cats Pad, but make it serious.
Feb 5, 2023 7:28 PM
Jan 2021

Man, I wish we could get Lupin The Third Vs. City Hunter.
Feb 8, 2023 10:12 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
One of the worst Lupin´s movie, possbly!!! kekeke

simple plot, bad music, a lot of blood (unnecesary), bad animation style and the characters were to vomit!!!

3/10 and lucky
Feb 10, 2023 9:08 AM

Oct 2016
nothing of interest in the credits right? (like early concept art, etc)
after Lupin and the gang depart on the car is just the credits for the movie and then the credits for Amazon Studios?

i just cant sit for 6 minutes to watch letters scroll up
Feb 15, 2023 5:45 PM
Jan 2018
The CGI was some of the worst I have ever seen. I only gave this ONA a chance since I watched Lupin the 1st. I had to balance out that gorgeous hand drawn animation with a CGI abomination, except I didn't know how terrible it could get.

I refuse to watch CGI Lupin, and only made an exception for "reasons" but these comments have me wondering about Lupin the 1st. I'm still not gonna watch it tho. I'm gonna advocate for hand drawn animation until anime abandons it completely. Whenever that is.
Jun 9, 2023 9:59 AM
Apr 2021
Taking a break after the previous Lupin stuff helps to watch this movie for sure.Characters with less screen time and the newly created ones sure move more awfully than the others.The japanese VAs(Idk about english)gave their all to make them sound like they have emotions,shut out to them for that.Especially Kurita Kanichi had the opportunity to show his talent once again.His deep parts were my fave and it sounded refreshing after the usual Lupin speaktone.Because no,he didn't show his Koike/Fujiko no Ounna Lupin-voice there,it was another. The movie finally doesn't take the gang in the background like other crossover Lupins did.But the unnecessary brutality could have been avoided.Bref,the middle Lupin scenes were good,the last ones are not really my cup of tea.
Mrs_LupinApr 1, 10:41 PM
Jun 9, 2023 10:00 AM
Apr 2021
PrecureHunter said:
nothing of interest in the credits right? (like early concept art, etc)
after Lupin and the gang depart on the car is just the credits for the movie and then the credits for Amazon Studios?

i just cant sit for 6 minutes to watch letters scroll up
yes,there isn't credit scene sadly
Oct 10, 2023 10:04 AM
Aug 2020
It was a fun story acting as a great introduction the the cats eye series via Lupin
Oct 11, 2023 8:19 PM

Dec 2017
I've never seen Cat's Eye in my life and after this rubbish movie I don't wanna.
Feb 13, 5:44 PM
Mar 2019
Way better than the ratings.
I enjoyed it even if it's similar to most of the Lupin Movies.
Might look up the Cats now.
Apr 30, 11:20 AM
Jul 2022
not the greatest lupin film story wise but it definitely makes up for it with animation, yuji ohno and of course women with big honkers

More topics from this board

» Is there a chance of a Lupin III and City Hunter crossover?

GudasPhemba1 - Dec 19, 2022

7 by Haneken2086 »»
Aug 30, 2023 11:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.