Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jan 20, 2023 11:27 AM
Jan 2023
Anime fans- Hating on Komi for having social anxiety which prevents her from having proper conversations with people

Also anime fans- YOOOOO BOCCHI THE ROCK IS AMAZING DUDE!!!!!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jan 20, 2023 11:34 AM

Mar 2020
I don't think people hate Komi for that, but for how the cast is... questionable large. At this point I don't even remember 90% of the characters, and I watched it last year. Cast way too large, with so many pointless characters that appears for less than a minute or doesn't appear until 3-5 episodes later, yeah.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the reason you just pointed was the same that made Komi-san skyrocket in a positive way?

Only you can save yourself.
I only know what I know, I guess?
Yuri enjoyer and El Cazador de la Bruja fan
Jan 20, 2023 11:34 AM

Aug 2018
Watamote is better than either of them!!!!!
Jan 20, 2023 11:35 AM
Jul 2018
None of these anime are good and they both barely have a personality beyond social anxiety.
Jan 20, 2023 11:36 AM

Mar 2020
epidemia78 said:

No, wtf. The real chad right here is Wataten. Fight me.

Jan 20, 2023 11:41 AM
Apr 2021
I'm not even gonna say anything because I might get banned but yall know the context
Tokyo ghoul is a great manga with a trash anime adaptation

Jan 20, 2023 12:00 PM
Nov 2022
Who tf hating on komi
Jan 20, 2023 12:03 PM
Oct 2022
BetterBegoneThot said:
I don't think people hate Komi for that, but for how the cast is... questionable large. At this point I don't even remember 90% of the characters, and I watched it last year. Cast way too large, with so many pointless characters that appears for less than a minute or doesn't appear until 3-5 episodes later, yeah.

Besides, I'm pretty sure the reason you just pointed was the same that made Komi-san skyrocket in a positive way?

Exactly, I really like the show but the amount of people in it is kinda overwhelming and doesn’t really fit with the social anxiety aspect
Jan 20, 2023 12:04 PM
Nov 2022
i haven't seen anyone hating on komi. tf are you talking about?
Jan 20, 2023 12:14 PM
Apr 2019
the champoo bottles are clapping for you
Jan 20, 2023 12:30 PM

Dec 2021
BetterBegoneThot said:
At this point I don't even remember 90% of the characters, and I watched it last year. Cast way too large, with so many pointless characters that appears for less than a minute or doesn't appear until 3-5 episodes later, yeah.

In the manga the charecter count is 2 or 3 fold than the anime and even the author often ignores most of them and switches between side characters. Worst of all it's like in every 2 months we get a new character that will probably not gonna appear even as a cameo for the next 6 months.

𝓢𝓪𝓴𝓾𝓻𝓪
𝓚𝓲𝓷𝓸𝓶𝓸𝓽𝓸
Jan 20, 2023 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
Komi has some annoying characters... I haven't really seen much hate on it though.
Jan 20, 2023 12:32 PM
Feb 2022
never seen anyone hate on komi but bocchi has more hype because its just objectively better
Jan 20, 2023 12:38 PM
Jul 2018
That's not why people hate Komi, they hate it because of the lack of depth to the character with a serious issue.
Her entire character revolves around having social anxiety.
Jan 20, 2023 12:46 PM

Oct 2014
What ruins komi is all the supporting characters.
It's Morbin' Time!
Jan 20, 2023 12:52 PM
Jun 2021
get a forum lock speed run
Jan 20, 2023 1:01 PM
Jun 2021
iHaveAmazinTaste said:
Anime fans- Hating on Komi for having social anxiety which prevents her from having proper conversations with people

Also anime fans- YOOOOO BOCCHI THE ROCK IS AMAZING DUDE!!!!!

Both are average but I prefer Komi because of the depth in the cast.
Jan 20, 2023 1:08 PM

May 2021
BetterBegoneThot said:

Sorry for the random quote but I also don't remember a lot of the extra characters. I only remember Shouko Komi, Hitohito Tadano, Nene Onemine, Shuuko Komi, Omoharu Nakanaka, Najimi Osana, Ren Yamai & that's it.
Jan 20, 2023 1:16 PM
Aug 2021
Komi is "hated" (more like some people just don't like her) because she's less of an actual character and more of one of the show's repetitive gimmicks.

Bocchi has a character beyond her social anxiety, which comes in the form of her thoughts, how she acts behind closed doors and her natural behaviors when it comes to playing music, which is where we get to see her real personality. Even the way Bocchi deals with her anxiety shows a lot of expression, compared to *stays silent, doesn't move*.
I'd argue Bocchi's growth is more noticeable as well, but I only watched the first season of Komi, so I don't know if that changed.
Jan 20, 2023 1:19 PM
Jan 2021
I don't dislike the anime because of Komi's social anxiety. 

What I dislike about the series is the repetitive nature of the series as well as the just about all the supporting characters. Literally every character besides Tadano, Komi, and Najimi have like one gimmick that they shove down your throat. It's not a good thing when Yamai has more depth than 95% of the cast, and that's coming from someone who really likes yandere. At some point, it also felt like the anime was just repeating the same jokes over and over again. Like yes I get it, Komi is garbage at talking or asking for things, and yes, I know that everyone hates Tadano for absolutely no reason and everyone simps for Komi. Even the main characters feel really unbelievable at times. Tadano is a self-insert character, and even though the series jokes about how "average" he is, it still doesn't take away from the fact that he's generic and the "straight-man," who tend to be the blandest characters in rom-coms. I'm supposed to believe Komi has had a very troubled life because of her social anxiety, yet she's treated like a goddess by her classmates, and she's very smart, athletic, and very attractive. She's basically a Mary Sue outside of her social anxiety, but I guess we need to make her incapable of talking so that self-insert MC-kun can be the one to change her life. 

The show had a pretty strong start, but it quickly went downhill after the chalkboard scene in episode 1. Maybe I set really high expectations for myself because I thought the series was going to be a relatively serious portrayal of social-anxiety with comedic elements, but everything just came crashing down after the first couple of episodes. 

That said, I've only watched season 1 of the anime, and I have not read the manga at all. Maybe the series gets much better after the first season, or the anime just didn't do the manga justice at all. 
Jan 20, 2023 1:22 PM
Jul 2020
epidemia78 said:

L take. Watamote is OKish. But good u like it ig.
Jan 20, 2023 1:30 PM
Sep 2019
who tf hate komi????
Jan 20, 2023 1:30 PM

Aug 2018
H1DR0 said:
epidemia78 said:

I just find it hard to believe that Komi, the most beautiful and perfect girl in the world suffers such an extreme case of social anxiety. All of that adoration would eventually go to one's head. How ya gonna develop crippling social anxiety when everyone you meet worships the ground you walk on? Makes no goddamn sense.
Jan 20, 2023 1:37 PM
Jan 2021
epidemia78 said:
H1DR0 said:

I just find it hard to believe that Komi, the most beautiful and perfect girl in the world suffers such an extreme case of social anxiety. All of that adoration would eventually go to one's head. How ya gonna develop crippling social anxiety when everyone you meet worships the ground you walk on? Makes no goddamn sense.
I'm glad that I'm not the only person who thinks this. It feels like her crippling anxiety is more of a gimmick than something that defines her entire character, like the author tried creating the perfect waifu first and then gave her anxiety to appeal to those who are into shy, helpless girls. Although everyone in this series is literally just one gimmick and has zero depth outside of that. 
Jan 20, 2023 1:59 PM
Feb 2020
BetterBegoneThot said:

Mostly this. The cast size is arguably the only major drawback keeping it from being more than it is which is just slice of life.
Jan 20, 2023 2:12 PM
Feb 2021
I hate both. Next topic please
Jan 20, 2023 2:52 PM

Apr 2018
I just hate the constant narrating about social anxiety every episode —like we get it. Other than that, I don’t hate Komi o.o
Jan 20, 2023 2:59 PM
Jun 2021
BetterBegoneThot said:

I mean its a school so theres more than just 10 people and also her goal is to make 100 friends so it needs a large cast
Jan 20, 2023 3:54 PM
Feb 2021
Garbage take people love Komi, factuality incorrect + ratio + I hope your fav manga gets a just okay adaptation

/s
Jan 20, 2023 4:07 PM

Mar 2020
katGamming said:
BetterBegoneThot said:

I mean its a school so theres more than just 10 people and also her goal is to make 100 friends so it needs a large cast

There's a huge line between school setting with a lot of cast and having 1-2 characters introduced each time just to be forgotten in a few eps. Take, for example, Durarara: the story itself adds characters, but also has room for spotlight for many others.

Imo, the flaw with Komi is not the cast itself, but how little to no development the side characters have. And let me tell you: that's way too many names to remember, unless you are a Komi-san devotee and don't care about seasonals/any other show. If you enjoy that "flaw", then fine for you, but I believe I'm not the only one who got a bit turned down during S2, where every episode got more and more side characters (and when all I want to do is watch something to stop thinking, tbh).

Jan 20, 2023 4:28 PM
Jan 2021
Tbh both are mid, you just see the positive of ranking of kings, at the end of the show everyone dogging on it so idk what you mean by hypocrisy. Also, you’re mixing komi the character being hated on with the show komi, I’ve never seen anyone straight out hate komi the character maybe besides the character development
VinnyDark70Jan 20, 2023 5:01 PM
Jan 20, 2023 5:18 PM

Dec 2021
While I can't concretely point out anybody that has put forward this sort of opinion, I've actually heard somebody I personally follow call out Bocchi for exactly the thing you're saying people condemn Komi for, relying on social anxiety as a comedic crutch.

From this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7dOIuK-sys), the (Whole) quote in particular being as such, context being what Bocchi does wrong that K-On doesn't...

Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Jan 20, 2023 5:22 PM

Nov 2019
You don't have amazin taste, after all.
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Jan 20, 2023 5:25 PM
Jul 2020
Cry about it buddy
Jan 20, 2023 5:42 PM
Jun 2020
TaKomi all the way ;-)
Jan 20, 2023 6:46 PM
May 2020
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Anime Discussion Rules 2: Please refrain from creating threads that do not encourage discussion.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

222 by flokigoat »»
Sep 3, 1:16 PM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

93 by SolalAnime »»
Jul 29, 6:19 AM

» This show is an absolute disgrace at representing social anxiety ( 1 2 )

Fischer77 - Apr 26

67 by JizzyHitler »»
Jul 27, 7:29 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2021

121 by mal-Ghifari451 »»
Jul 9, 1:15 AM

Poll: » Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2021

97 by Azurosa »»
Jun 19, 2:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.