Forum Settings
Forums

Which shows from the past 5 years will be remembered 5 years from now?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Oct 21, 2022 12:46 PM
Mar 2021
listing only shows that started from Winter 2018 and Fall 2022 BECAUSE I CAN READ UNLIKE SOME CHILDREN HERE.

My Dress Up Darling
Spy x Family
Summertime Render (even with the lack of availability it'll have a substantial cult)
Lycoris Recoil
Call of the Night
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners
Chainsaw Man
Mobile Suit Gundam: The Witch from Mercury

Odd Taxi
Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song
Ranking of Kings
Mushoku Tensei
To Your Eternity
Tokyo Revengers (among certain fans, its low production level and generally agreed story disaster in the manga will give it a bad rep though)
Horimiya
Sk8 (the BL girls will keep this relevant, also 2nd season announced, so)

Rent a Girlfriend (unfortunately)
Jujutsu Kaisen
Tonikawa
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken

Kaguya-sama
Fruits Basket
Beastars
Iruma-kun
Vinland Saga
Given
Demon Slayer
Dororo
Quintessential Quintuplets

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
Bloom into You
Golden Kamuy
Grand Blue
Violet Evergarden
A Place Further than the Universe
Yuru Camp
Oct 21, 2022 12:53 PM

May 2020
Parataxicalis said:
ScionOfCyan said:
The way something 'lasts' is if it expresses some kind of moral, message, or opinion that resonates with people (both in agreement and disagreement).

I for the life of me cannot figure out what that message might be for Spy x Family. Just doesn't seem to me like there's a lot of substance to it.

There's a lot of interesting directions they can take this series and in some respects are already taking this series down. One really interesting one that I think this series is building up towards would be exploring the boundary between a a real thing and its imitation and whether/how a fake family can become the real deal. If done right, this could make for an incredible and unforgettable climax. But as for now, I say we have yet to see what Spy x Family can offer us in the long run and need to keep watching.

the problem is, the pacing is so bad. were 20 episodes in almost, and no character development has happened.

Oct 21, 2022 2:09 PM

Apr 2022
Parataxicalis said:
ScionOfCyan said:
The way something 'lasts' is if it expresses some kind of moral, message, or opinion that resonates with people (both in agreement and disagreement).

I for the life of me cannot figure out what that message might be for Spy x Family. Just doesn't seem to me like there's a lot of substance to it.

There's a lot of interesting directions they can take this series and in some respects are already taking this series down. One really interesting one that I think this series is building up towards would be exploring the boundary between a a real thing and its imitation and whether/how a fake family can become the real deal. If done right, this could make for an incredible and unforgettable climax. But as for now, I say we have yet to see what Spy x Family can offer us in the long run and need to keep watching.
I agree that there is an intriguing idea in what you say. I'm not going to say it can't happen the way you hypothesize.

What concerns me is when a good show has a good theme they hit you with it hard and early, and then repeatedly, and then it influences a large number of decisions in the show. Presenting the theme as supposition is itself a sign. The tone and vibe of Spy x Family is silly, funny, cutesy, and frivolous in a way that doesn't give it breathing room to consider this idea, as a theme, seriously. Don't get me wrong, I quite like silliness and laughter and cuteness and frivolity, so I had a good time. It just feels like dessert is all.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

100 by Old_School_Akira »»
23 minutes ago

» Who is your first and second favorite Jujutsu Kaisen character and why?

Inner_Dragon - Yesterday

17 by OmBerry12_Bleach »»
27 minutes ago

» What's an anime you like but would probably never try to show someone to get them into anime?

MeanMrMusician - Jun 4

44 by PeripheralVision »»
32 minutes ago

» What views on anime make you feel like some 2nd century Christian who rejects most of the gospels on obscure gnostic grounds.

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

4 by Tirinchas »»
39 minutes ago

» How do people finish anime they consider bad? ( 1 2 3 )

Rinrinka - Jun 8

106 by bucciest »»
45 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.