Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Do you like shinji?
Feb 25, 2022 6:16 PM
Feb 2019
Out of any high profile anime I've watched he is definetly my least favorite MC. I truly cannot understand how people can like him whatsoever.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Feb 25, 2022 6:27 PM
Aug 2020
because people think he's a well written character and some relate to him
Feb 25, 2022 6:31 PM

Dec 2021
extremely well written + given the stuff shinji puts up with, it makes sense that hes the way he is
good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Feb 25, 2022 6:33 PM
Dec 2020
because his character is realistic.Shinjis character makes me reflect on my self
Feb 25, 2022 6:34 PM

Sep 2021
Because some people have great taste, unlike a certain someone here who thinks with his dick.
Feb 25, 2022 6:38 PM

Feb 2021
I can relate to him more than any character or irl person in every way
Feb 25, 2022 7:13 PM
May 2021
His character is disappointing and shameful, and even disgusting at times. Point is he’s imperfect and it makes it easier to project onto him
Feb 25, 2022 7:50 PM

Aug 2021
most of the fan base is mentally unstable and they relate to him. i agree out of every high end show i’ve watched he’s my least favorite mc.
Feb 25, 2022 7:57 PM

May 2021
Because some people can relate to that piece of shit
Feb 25, 2022 8:12 PM
May 2021
probably because he's one of the best written anime character of all time, in terms of explicit depth alone i can say Shinji clears 80%-90% anime characters.

and the other reason is probably, because half of the community are mentally unstable and they can relate to Shinji, and it's only normal to symphasize if you see someone that has a similarity to yourself.

i dunno what i'm sayin, anyway ya'll probably understand what i'm talking about.
Feb 25, 2022 8:28 PM
Oct 2021
he's a little pathetic <3 lots of people like that
Feb 25, 2022 8:30 PM
Jan 2016
He’s cute! ๐Ÿฅฐ
Feb 25, 2022 8:38 PM
Jan 2022
He’s unstable and a lot of people relate to that. I don’t have him on my favorites list, but I certainly find him relatable in some ways and totally not relatable in others, but of course for a lot of people the feeling of “being a coward” is pretty common, so I can understand why people like him even if he isn’t my favorite character.
Feb 25, 2022 8:43 PM
Feb 2021
he's a very different main character and is very realistic
Feb 25, 2022 8:48 PM
Jul 2020
BigBallerForReal said:
Out of any high profile anime I've watched he is definetly my least favorite MC. I truly cannot understand how people can like him whatsoever.

just because u don't like him doesn't mean everbody feels the same.
Toxic fans:- using the anime list of the user to criticize his opinions on a different anime.

If you cannot tolerate others taste delete your mal accountโ˜ฎ๏ธ.
Feb 25, 2022 9:07 PM

Mar 2011
If you don't understand why Shinji acts the way he does, then you've probably been blessed with a pretty privileged life.

I haven't had the hardest life, but suffering from clinical depression and pretty severe anxiety on a regular basis as well as having difficulty relating to others made Shinji very appealing because I was able to relate to a lot of his struggles.

How would you react to these catastrophic situations if you were an emotionally distraught 14 year old with all kinds of unprocessed trauma? Probably the same or worse.
Feb 25, 2022 9:13 PM
#borntoboil

Jan 2021
Full female character on favs = Opinion is invalid

therefore, Don’t care + didn’t ask + cry about it + stay mad + get real + L + mald seethe cope harder + ho mad + basic + skill issue + ratio + you fell off + the audacity + triggered + any askers + repelled + get a life + ok + and? + cringe + touch grass + donowalled + not based + your a (insert stereotype) + not funny didn’t laugh + you “re” + grammar issues + go outside + get good + reported + ad hominem + GG! + ask deez + ez clap + straight cash + ratio agian + final ratio + problematic + this is what 0 pussy does to a mf
is it really worf to put things in here like nobody reads these

discord ~ ganjimex

Feb 25, 2022 9:17 PM
Apr 2018
It seems to me that he is loved a lot, but he is also very hated and for what, for being realistic. I particularly like him, and that does not mean that I have mental problems or traumas with which I can identify with him. I just like him because he's more human than most other main characters nowadays. People don't like realistic things, they want action and invincible heros or broken and "badass" characters that never give up no matter what.
Feb 25, 2022 10:00 PM
Dec 2020
It's complicated
Feb 25, 2022 10:07 PM
Jan 2021
He's well written and not that annoying in the manga .
Feb 25, 2022 10:28 PM

Apr 2021
I watched NGE a few weeks ago. Shinji made it absolute pain for me to finish the show, everything about him was bad, his personality, face, especially the voice. IDK why they used to pick female VAs for male MCs in 90s animes but it really sucks
I love Monogatari Series
Feb 25, 2022 10:39 PM
Jul 2018
He's a good well written character
Feb 25, 2022 10:40 PM
Jul 2018
GanjiMEX said:
Full female character on favs = Opinion is invalid

therefore, Don’t care + didn’t ask + cry about it + stay mad + get real + L + mald seethe cope harder + ho mad + basic + skill issue + ratio + you fell off + the audacity + triggered + any askers + repelled + get a life + ok + and? + cringe + touch grass + donowalled + not based + your a (insert stereotype) + not funny didn’t laugh + you “re” + grammar issues + go outside + get good + reported + ad hominem + GG! + ask deez + ez clap + straight cash + ratio agian + final ratio + problematic + this is what 0 pussy does to a mf

LOL I laughed at this harder than I should've
Feb 25, 2022 11:09 PM
Aug 2021
BigBallerForReal said:

well i won't say that i relate to him but i can say that i like how his mentality is

In certain situations even u would make similar decisions like him and if u haven't watched then watch the alternative movies in those the character of Shinji which u "don't like" is written differently and the if u r unsatisfied then end in that is different too ...
Feb 25, 2022 11:15 PM
Jan 2021
He‘s the goat. It always comes to personal preference but I rather like characters that are understandable, reliable and human instead of edgie or always keeping it positiv even in the worst situation. Real humans don’t act like the most shonen protagonists but there are prolly some people that would be the same as Shinji.
Feb 25, 2022 11:28 PM
May 2020
Because he's one of the most well-written and tragic characters in anime history, I'd say second only to Asuka (this show really does tragic and well-written excellently). Does he do some absolutely deplorable shit? Yeah, but he's a fictional character. As a vehicle for themes, relatability and messages, he's great.
Feb 25, 2022 11:59 PM
Sep 2021
Same people who hate Deku

Because people are hypocrite
Feb 26, 2022 12:13 AM
Apr 2020
Because he is a real character, wouldn't you be afraid that the world depended on you?
Feb 26, 2022 12:14 AM
Apr 2020
Menocidal_Ganiac said:
Because at least a significant portion of this fanbase consists of mentally unstable individuals who can relate to him.

lol literally me xd
Feb 26, 2022 1:15 AM

Aug 2018
because he's cute and relatable
Feb 26, 2022 1:19 AM

Apr 2011
Because most people here have felt depressed and scared in the face of overwhelming challenges life threw at them at some point in their lives so he's relatable.
OvadoraivuFeb 26, 2022 2:03 AM
Feb 26, 2022 1:27 AM

Feb 2019
Because he is a great character.
Feb 26, 2022 1:29 AM
Feb 2019
I dislike him so much, it was a struggle watching nge because of him, mf sexually assaulted an unconscious girl but people look past it cause he has daddy issues and he's a "great written character" idk what he's done for him to be a great written character.
crying every episode doesn't make someone a good character, each episode was him having a mental breakdown cause he didn't wanna ride a robot
bladewadeFeb 26, 2022 1:43 AM
Feb 26, 2022 1:30 AM
Feb 2019
cosmicothetester said:
extremely well written + given the stuff shinji puts up with, it makes sense that hes the way he is

what exactly does he put up with?
Feb 26, 2022 1:37 AM

Feb 2021
I think part of why he's greatly favored is because he's not meant to be understood, but rather to be empathized with. Emotional resonance, like that.
Feb 26, 2022 2:14 AM
Mar 2021
I think he’s one of the most well-written anime protagonists and I sympathise with him.
Feb 26, 2022 3:26 AM

Aug 2020
I think he's really well written. Lots of people can empathise with Shinji even though his life is not similar to theirs.

ใ€Œ ๐•‚๐•–๐•ช ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•’๐•ฅ ๐•™๐•š๐••๐•–๐•ค ๐•ฅ๐•™๐•– ๐•—๐• ๐•ฃ๐•”๐•–๐•ค ๐• ๐•— ๐••๐•’๐•ฃ๐•œ๐•Ÿ๐•–๐•ค๐•ค, ๐•ค๐•™๐• ๐•จ ๐•ž๐•– ๐•ช๐• ๐•ฆ๐•ฃ ๐•ฅ๐•ฃ๐•ฆ๐•– ๐•—๐• ๐•ฃ๐•ž ใ€

Feb 26, 2022 4:49 AM

Dec 2021
__booth_ said:
cosmicothetester said:

what exactly does he put up with?

hes gotta put up with constantly going in the eva units (which people seem to forget are unpleasant and dangerous)

also the fact that the fate of the world rests on his shoulders and hes risking his life all the time (btw imagine being called up by your father who you never see and end up having to do this job. sucks right?)

good opinions on anything, block = I own you
Feb 26, 2022 5:50 AM
Dec 2020
Very relatable and emphasising character to many, the weak mindset and pessimistic traits especially.
Feb 26, 2022 5:53 AM
May 2021
ScaredSilent said:
probably because he's one of the best written anime character of all time, in terms of explicit depth alone i can say Shinji clears 80%-90% anime characters.

and the other reason is probably, because half of the community are mentally unstable and they can relate to Shinji, and it's only normal to symphasize if you see someone that has a similarity to yourself.

i dunno what i'm sayin, anyway ya'll probably understand what i'm talking about.

jerking on a girl who is admitted on ICU fighting for her life, you're saying he's one of the best well written character!?!? my friend it's your pathetic mentality, which makes you relate to him
Feb 26, 2022 5:55 AM
May 2021
Tarikul said:
ScaredSilent said:

jerking on a girl who is admitted on ICU fighting for her life, you're saying he's one of the best well written character!?!? my friend it's your pathetic mentality, which makes you relate to him

Yeah say whatever you want, doesn't change the fact that Shinji is extremely well written
Feb 26, 2022 6:00 AM

Jun 2021
i could understand if many relates to him ,but he isn't well written at all
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 26, 2022 6:07 AM
Wings

Apr 2017
Look into the "Hedgehog's dilemma".

It should explain why Shinji has so many favourites, and also why Asuka does as well - aside from people finding her design cute.
Feb 26, 2022 6:08 AM
May 2021
Well people like him because he is good character.
Feb 26, 2022 7:30 AM
Jan 2022
cause we are all shinji :'(
Feb 26, 2022 7:42 AM

Feb 2021
its clear - without shinji evangelion wouldn’t have happened
๐š๐š‘๐š’๐šœ ๐šŒ๐šŽ๐š’๐š•๐š’๐š—๐š ๐š’๐šœ ๐šž๐š—๐š๐šŠ๐š–๐š’๐š•๐š’๐šŠ๐š› .
Feb 26, 2022 7:49 AM
Nov 2021
Some people may not say this, but Shinji is a REALLY relatable character...
Feb 26, 2022 7:56 AM
Jul 2021
Shinji and his character are extremely human, and even if hes a bitch its how people in the real world would act in his situation and experiences
Feb 26, 2022 8:22 AM
Aug 2021
Tarikul said:
ScaredSilent said:

Context is important. It wasn’t just some random scene for shock value, in my opinion. Shinji is characterised by escapism/inaction. Shinji viewed his abandonment as a child as proof of being unloved, and chalked it down to him being useless and inadequate. It is due to this that he fears his own personhood, as him being left to take care of himself would result in disaster (which is why he shouts “don’t kill me” when Asuka rejects him in EoE). As a defence mechanism he projects his self-loathing onto the world. He crafts this belief that the reason behind his unhappiness is that everybody hates him, and if he were to be loved by them then it would make him happy. As Shinji feels that his parents didn’t love him due to him being useless, he tries to make himself useful. Shinji believes that if he’s useful to others, and is not an inconvenience to them, then the world will change and people will love him (especially his father), making him happy. This is why he endures piloting the Eva even though it hurts him physically and mentally. He thinks he can’t be of any value to others besides being useful to them. This is a very destructive mindset. Shinji is torturing himself by sabotaging his own mental health. That’s his character. He’s ruled by destructive urges. We only don’t notice it because the majority of the time his destruction is focused inwards, and is done through neglecting his own internal desires.

Fast forward to EoE and Shinji has been through a lot. Forcing himself to remain dedicated to piloting the Eva despite having no internal motivation to do so (or at least no identified motivation) is stressful in its own right, let alone for a 14 year old child. He has endured multiple distressing events from episodes 16-24, most of which he probably has not processed, his music player is broken, and all of those that he cared for are distant in one way or another (which he likely views as being rejected/abandoned, considering how he thought that doing what they wanted would ensure their company), leaving him to wallow in his own thoughts, which likely heightens his anxiety and stress. Combine that with the fact that Shinji craves and is dependent on others for affection, attention, approval, acceptance and overall relief from loneliness and an escape from his own personhood, it means that Shinji’s overall sense of security and stability is gone. When people are that anxious and insecure with themselves, their conscience is destabilised and subconscious feelings such as anger and resentment (which can be focused inwards or outwards, or both) manifest, as do impulsive urges to relieve/satisfy those feelings. As a result, people who are as distressed as Shinji is may not act in accordance to their morals or values but rather in accordance to their feelings, leading some to act in risky, destructive and impulsive ways. It can be self-destructive (i.e. drug abuse, alcohol abuse, gambling, all of which lead to addictions) or outwardly destructive (i.e. vitriol, assault, thievery, pandemonium, sexual abuse or other criminal acts) or both (i.e. excessive unprotected sex). The way in which these impulses take form depends on the person themselves. In the case of Shinji, he is desperately seeking a way of escape from his self-responsibility (which to him is life-threatening), or more importantly the fear of it. His emotions are superseding his morals. His irrationality should be evident in the fact that he’s shaking an unconscious girl in an attempt to wake her up, which obviously does not work. He’s desperate for some sort of stimulation. When he reveals her breasts, this desperation for communication morphs into one of sexual stimulation (which is not too farfetched considering the fact that he’s a mentally ill child going through puberty) and he gives in to his impulses. The hands are a motif through the series. We often see characters use their hands as a means of reaching out to others, helping others, hurting others. They’re an essential part of forming bonds with others. By ejaculating on his hand, he has desecrated a means of reaching out to others. This sets the tone of the film, where Shinji is closing himself off from others in favour of escape. Which is literally what he does when he triggers instrumentality. His actions are immoral extreme, but I would not say that it’s bad writing. The emotions that drive his actions are very human.
Feb 26, 2022 8:31 AM

Nov 2017
because he’s one of the most well-written, realistic, and relatable characters that i’ve ever seen
"Leonardo... it wasn't, by any means, only your eyes that we welcomed into Libra."
- Klaus von Reinherz
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

266 by goofyahhgoofy »»
2 hours ago

» Do you have any Evangelion merchandise? ( 1 2 )

TsutanaiFuun - May 29

57 by NaTsu_aKk0- »»
Today, 6:41 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - May 10, 2008

161 by NihilisticMystic »»
May 29, 8:24 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

813 by katto_al_ameer »»
May 28, 6:48 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 30, 2007

227 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 1:24 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.