Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
Oct 15, 2021 6:12 AM

Dec 2020
Hey, I just finished Fullmetal Alchemist without any research so my question is. ''Is there any value in watching brotherhood?''

I actually enjoyed 2003 Fullmetal alchemist but now after little research I found that Brotherhood is just a remake anddd I am not sure if I want to watch it cuz I don't want to spend my free time on anime which I've already seen.

So if you would be on my place, would you watch it ? Or whats the main difference between them?
Oct 15, 2021 6:19 AM

Dec 2007
After the first half of the old series is where the story diverges from the manga and the old anime created it’s own conclusion. Brotherhood is a remake where it goes through the full manga storyline. After the first ~13 eps of brotherhood it then goes on to manga storylines that hadn’t been adapted in the original so it would mostly be a new experience for you
Oct 15, 2021 6:21 AM

Oct 2008
It's vastly different, but not really worth watching. It's preferable to read the manga if you want.
Oct 15, 2021 6:40 AM

Jun 2016
80% of brotherhood is completely different from the old series so yes it is worth watching.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Oct 15, 2021 6:40 AM
May 2020
Only the first few episodes are similar, the rest is completely different and you’ll enjoy it even if you just finished FMA 03
Oct 15, 2021 6:52 AM
Jan 2018
I first watched brotherhood, then the original. There are some differences but not a lot. The main story is the same. I would recommend just starting another anime. There are lots of great ones left.
Oct 15, 2021 6:56 AM

Oct 2020
yeah Most of parts in Brotherhood and this one are different

I'll say one(without major spoilers) in FMA when Elric brothers went to Hughes' house his daughter hasn't born, Wife was pregnant. but in FMAB when they went Hughes' place his daughter was already born(this is just a tiny difference) believe me there are more. and also Story endings... You should try FMBA too 🍷
Oct 15, 2021 6:56 AM

Dec 2014
The first 10 or so eps are the same, but after that it's completely different. Since you liked the original you'll probably like Brotherhood too and might even like it more.
Oct 15, 2021 7:00 AM

Jun 2012
It's not exactly a remake, but a reimagining of the source material. Give it a try and you might like it more than the older version, most do.

Brotherhood skims through a lot of the early content so you're probably not going to get much of the feeling that you're watching the same series.
Oct 15, 2021 7:19 AM

Dec 2020
Brack_Obunga said:
I first watched brotherhood, then the original. There are some differences but not a lot. The main story is the same. I would recommend just starting another anime. There are lots of great ones left.
That's exactly what I thought. From your point of view. Is it better to start with brotherhood ? Next time If i would recommend it to my friends I wanna know which one is better (for anime rookies)
Oct 15, 2021 7:20 AM
May 2021
2003 fma is original anime after some ep .On the other hand FMBA(2009) is a manga adaptation first few ep are similar to Fma(2003) but after some ep it is completely different from fma(2003) and yes it is worth watching.
Oct 15, 2021 7:22 AM

Dec 2020
NoBoDY-5 said:
2003 fma is original anime after some ep .On the other hand FMBA(2009) is a manga adaptation first few ep are similar to Fma(2003) but after some ep it is completely different from fma(2003) and yes it is worth watching.
Glad for your opinion and small quote :D I will try it, for sure.
Oct 15, 2021 7:45 AM

Jun 2021
FMA(03) only follow's the manga in starting.And brotherhood is almost adapted from the manga.And there are lot of difference in both of them.
I came πŸ’¦πŸ˜£ I saw πŸ‘πŸ‘„πŸ‘ I came πŸ’¦πŸ˜£ I saw πŸ‘πŸ‘„πŸ‘ I praise the Lord βœπŸ™πŸ’― then break the law πŸ’²πŸ”« I take what's mine πŸ€”<- then take some more βœ‘πŸ’² it rains it pours πŸ’¦β˜” it rains it pours 🌧🌈

Oct 15, 2021 7:51 AM

Aug 2019
Both are very worth the watch! I think both versions are wonderful, and Brotherhood has the added bonus of being faithful to the manga, so its writing is definitely a bit tighter.

Don't worry too much about wasting your time, Brotherhood gets to manga-only content about 14 episodes in. Everything before that will be familiar already, and the bulk of Brotherhood's story only comes after.
Oct 15, 2021 8:46 AM
Oct 2021
FMAB is one of the most prefect anime that ever existed. And also FMA is not true to the manga but FMAB is. There is really a small amount of story which is common in both but FMAB is different from FMA and IMHO slightly better. So you should WATCH this show!!!!
Oct 15, 2021 8:56 AM
Jul 2018
Both of them have different stories and tones. I haven't read the manga. But from what I've researched, the original Fullmetal Alchemist anime adapts part of the manga and goes into anime original material at a point. It also has a more darker tone than Brotherhood. As for Brotherhood, it's completely canon material. It of course does have some dark elements, but at the same time it gets balanced out by the comedy. So it's up to you whether or not you want to watch Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. I thought they were both interesting. You can enjoy them both separately since they have their differences in writing.
Oct 15, 2021 9:09 AM

Jul 2020
I would say that there's definitely some value in watching Brotherhood. When the series was recommended to me by a friend they told me to watch both. I watched the original first then went back to Brotherhood about 2 years later.
I liked both but ended up liking the latter more. And I think that watching the 2003 Fullmetal Alchemist gave me even more of an appreciation for Brotherhood.
It's not a total remake because it is a longer show that's story diverges about a third or halfway in. The overall tone of both shows are different too. The original was a lot funnier whereas Brotherhood is more dramatic. I do think the original does a few specific things better (like the Nina episode), but Brotherhood seems to have a clearer and more thought out story overall.
Oct 15, 2021 9:51 AM
Jan 2021
BiohazardBK said:
Hey, I just finished Fullmetal Alchemist without any research so my question is. ''Is there any value in watching brotherhood?''

I actually enjoyed 2003 Fullmetal alchemist but now after little research I found that Brotherhood is just a remake anddd I am not sure if I want to watch it cuz I don't want to spend my free time on anime which I've already seen.

So if you would be on my place, would you watch it ? Or whats the main difference between them?

You can watch it because the finale and midway journey is completely different from FMA 03 , but brotherhood ruins characters of lust , some Homonculi , and Roy , but also some characters are better like Greed and King Bradley and sister of Mr.Armstrong .
Oct 15, 2021 9:58 AM

Dec 2020
_syedmuhammad__ said:
BiohazardBK said:

You can watch it because the finale and midway journey is completely different from FMA 03 , but brotherhood ruins characters of lust , some Homonculi , and Roy , but also some characters are better like Greed and King Bradley and sister of Mr.Armstrong .
Well I thought Roy is one of the most favourite characters in brotherhood. What exactly is ruined 'bout him ?
Oct 15, 2021 11:14 AM
Jan 2021
BiohazardBK said:
_syedmuhammad__ said:

Well I thought Roy is one of the most favourite characters in brotherhood. What exactly is ruined 'bout him ?

I guess ruined is a bit exaggerated but he's more likable in 03 . In brotherhood he has less moments with his crew which is something I really enjoyed in 03. Brotherhood makes his personality more edgy which isn't necessary and kinda boring , because his unpredictable behaviour (mostly for comedic scenes) made him more interesting in 03 (for example him showing love towards a dog) . He didn't kill winry's parents in brotherhood and that was one of his biggest regrets in life in FMA 03 . He is overpowered because of which his battles feel mostly one sided , his final battle with king Bradley in 03 was a really tough and entertaining battle , something I prefer over his multiple brutal beatdowns from brotherhood .
_syedmuhammad__Oct 15, 2021 11:17 AM
Oct 15, 2021 2:03 PM
Oct 2021
This is a joke right?
Oct 15, 2021 2:04 PM
Oct 2021
This is a joke right?
Oct 15, 2021 8:13 PM
Feb 2016
Uhhh, yes. Definitely watch Brotherhood. You basically saw the non-cannon version of FMA. The pacing is really fast until like episode 12 where it sums up everything that was cannon in the 2003 version. Then you get to watch the real events that actually happened.

And while you CAN watch other anime,FMA Brotherhood just happens to be objectively better than like 80% of anime (including the 2003 version )
Oct 15, 2021 9:02 PM

Jan 2020
Like everyone is saying, it's not really a "remake".

And many consider to be brotherhood to be better

Oct 15, 2021 11:07 PM
Oct 2020
No, you have got to watch Bortherhood. Only the first 13 or so epsiodes are the same, but after that, it is a story of it's own and is much better than almost anything that FMA 2003 has to offer , from story, to worldbuilding, to characters (imo). In short, you are missing out if you skip FMAB
Oct 15, 2021 11:15 PM
Jan 2018
BiohazardBK said:
Brack_Obunga said:
That's exactly what I thought. From your point of view. Is it better to start with brotherhood ? Next time If i would recommend it to my friends I wanna know which one is better (for anime rookies)

I think it doesnt matter that much since the main story is basicly the same, but I think I would recommend starting with brotherhood. Thats how I dis it and I think its an amazing anime.
Oct 16, 2021 12:17 AM
Nov 2016
Of course , the two versions are very diferent, and if you liked the charecters it will be like spending more time with them, i prefer 2003 but Brotherhood is awesome, and isn't a remake , is just a version that is more in line with the manga , while the first anime created a new story with the manga just as a base
Oct 16, 2021 1:06 AM

Sep 2016
Between the two I did prefer Brotherhood (may or may not have been influenced by the knowledge of knowing Brotherhood is canon material whereas the other one was anime original after a while.) but yes, the tone and storyline is drastically different! I’d give it a watch ^u^

Oct 16, 2021 6:30 AM
Jul 2020
I liked FMA03 better but Brotherhood is definitely worth a watch. Just don't watch it immediately after finishing '03. Approach it with a fresh mind. Otherwise, the first few episodes will be kind of boring since they cover many of the same plot points. But you can't skip them either because there are a few small differences that will be important later on.
Oct 16, 2021 6:32 AM

Dec 2020
wittyacorn said:
I liked FMA03 better but Brotherhood is definitely worth a watch. Just don't watch it immediately after finishing '03. Approach it with a fresh mind. Otherwise, the first few episodes will be kind of boring since they cover many of the same plot points. But you can't skip them either because there are a few small differences that will be important later on.
yea, i am in 4th episode and i saw many difference, i will keep that in mind, Thank you
Oct 16, 2021 8:33 AM
Jul 2021
Brotherhood version is one of the best anime ever. Old one is unfortunately trash. I wish you never watched. Fma Brotherhood, everybody have to watch. Compared to first one, orders are amazing because based on Manga. Please watch that if you never try. Because you don't encounter the best.
Oct 16, 2021 8:39 AM
Oct 2018
It is absolutely worth watching! As others have said, it diverges from FA after the first 13ep and follows the manga, and while FA is pretty good. Brotherhood is on a whole other level! I enjoyed it much more, and the ending had me in tears. 100% worth watching!
Oct 16, 2021 8:41 AM

Nov 2020
nah FMAB is mid as f...u will be dissapointed ......don't recommend watchin it..........

"I don't know about you
But I'm feeling 22
Everything will be alright if
You keep me next to you
You don't know about me
But I'll bet you want to
Everything will be alright if

We just keep dancing like we're 22, 22"
Oct 16, 2021 9:06 AM

Jan 2019
BiohazardBK said:
Brack_Obunga said:

It's probably better to recommend Brotherhood. It's shorter and actually sticks to the canon. Easier to get into.

Edit: you might notice I don't have the original FA on my list, but I did watch some of it. My older sister is the one who watched the whole thing, though. She also recommended Brotherhood to me.
Oct 16, 2021 9:14 AM

Dec 2020
Sheklon said:
BiohazardBK said:

It's probably better to recommend Brotherhood. It's shorter and actually sticks to the canon. Easier to get into.

Edit: you might notice I don't have the original FA on my list, but I did watch some of it. My older sister is the one who watched the whole thing, though. She also recommended Brotherhood to me.
Its okay I do not have everything I’ve watched on my list either, Anyways Classic FMA 03 is shorter so now I am comfused, after 4 episodes (brotherhood) I am glad that I’ve seen FMA 03 cuz its so fast and i think alot new watchers could be lost in the story line.
Oct 16, 2021 9:21 AM

Jan 2019
BiohazardBK said:
Sheklon said:

Its okay I do not have everything I’ve watched on my list either, Anyways Classic FMA 03 is shorter so now I am comfused, after 4 episodes (brotherhood) I am glad that I’ve seen FMA 03 cuz its so fast and i think alot new watchers could be lost in the story line.

Oh yeah, that was my mistake. Classic FMA is shorter, Brotherhood just moves faster. We barely get to know some of the early homunculus, but it's still enjoyable and I didn't really get confused on the storyline.
Oct 16, 2021 1:20 PM
Jun 2020
YES! FMA: Brotherhood is vastly different from FMA. In FMA the story caught up to the manga (while it was releasing) so since there was no source material the story takes its own route and has its own ending COMPLETELY different from the manga. FMAB follows the manga through to the end and overall has a better story and plot. Definitely worth it
Oct 16, 2021 11:11 PM
Sep 2019
the biggest difference in the two is the brotherhood follows the manga storyline, so if you care about knowing "the true ending" (as some people ive spoken with call it) id say watch brotherhood, but otherwise it might be better to watch something else.

as for reccing it to friends, id just flip a coin bc they both tell a good story.
Oct 18, 2021 2:19 AM
Apr 2021
I watched the original then a while later watched brotherhood and thought brotherhood was better. I’d say wait until the original isn’t fresh in your mind because the beginning feels like a rewatch but it diverges as the series goes on and it’s worth watching if you enjoyed the original.
Oct 19, 2021 9:59 AM
Jun 2020
Fmab has a different tone. It has a better story imo but rushes through the being parts. It has amazing fight but nothing imo will be more impressive than when Edward cartwheeled Greed

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kawaiimisato - May 25, 2009

68 by Slupgrad »»
May 28, 1:47 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 17, 2008

69 by Slupgrad »»
May 28, 12:26 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

enkil - Jul 4, 2009

87 by Slupgrad »»
May 28, 11:22 AM

» Dub or Sub?

infinite_Shadows - Apr 28

21 by cinnaroll_taetae »»
May 7, 6:12 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ItsMeAndrea - Dec 20, 2008

67 by Ronin_4011 »»
Apr 13, 11:29 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.