Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 10, 2013 3:55 PM

May 2011
Hi guys!

Need some manga recs!

Basically looking for martial arts manga/manwha with an overpowered male MC. Romance preferred, fantasy is okay, historical mangas get bonus points :P.

Notes:
- MC doesn't have to realize he's overpowered at the beginning, it can be a learning process through training. However, it has to be obvious to the readers that this MC, after awhile or towards the end, the MC is gonna kick everyone's ass.

- MC has to be male please

- Need martial arts manga. Fantasy is perfectly fine, swords + blades etc. preferred but MMA/boxing/sports is also fine. Historical manga preferred :)

- Have romance please

- NO yaoi/shonen ai :) ty

- Strong perference for LIGHT mood manga, not dark ones. For example, I really liked Shamo, but unfortunately I feel like it was a bit too dark for me. Again, I welcome those rec's as well, but I would like to request that if you are recommending a more dark manga/manwha to please make a note of that. Basically, comedic, light, and historical mangas are more preferred over psychological, dark ones.

- No animes please. I'm okay with manga/novels/manwha/anything I can READ :)

My current list has not been updated in ages, so feel free to recommend anything you got. I'll prob. have read most of them, but I'm hoping the rec's keep coming.

Examples of what I'm looking for:

Ruler of the Land - mixed historical/fantasy setting, cool techniques, MC is weak but has a powerful skill (again, perfectly okay).

Kingdom - more historic, again obvious MC will grow to be immensely powerful, again swords/blades.

Thanks in advance!

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 10, 2013 4:22 PM
Nov 2013
change123

MC is a shy girl, when they come to fighting, the girl will be able to change her personality to be 3 different girl martial arts
Nov 10, 2013 8:19 PM

May 2011
I've already read The Breaker and am reading New Waves right now. Those are exactly the type of manga I'm looking for thank you!

I will take a look at Change 123. Again, I would like for the MC to be male :/ but I have heard a lot of rec's for it so I'll take a look at the manga.

Keep the rec's coming please!
Nov 10, 2013 10:05 PM
Mar 2013
try the sword of emperor
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 10, 2013 10:16 PM

Dec 2012
The manga Holyland fits that bill almost precisely. It's not historical but everything else you mentioned is def in there. It's also a psychological manga, where the main character develops through the course of it.

The other good part is that all the martial arts and fighting techniques are completely real. The author will even pitch in and provide some really interesting (and accurate) info.
http://myanimelist.net/manga/3285/Holyland
Nov 10, 2013 10:18 PM
Nov 2013
have you already tried history's strongest disciple. its kind of older but still great in my opinion
Nov 10, 2013 10:19 PM

Oct 2013
Ranma 1/2
Nov 11, 2013 4:30 PM

May 2011
Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I loved Sword of the Emperor....until it got canceled T_T.

Already read Holyland as well, loved it

I...tried kenichi....but man...it was just so ecchi i couldn't stand it anymore. I"ll give it another shot though :(.

I've had my reservations about ranma 1/2. Based on the synopsis, changing into a girl seems really strange to me. I'll give it a shot though :P.

Keep coming please! Thanks :)
Nov 11, 2013 5:14 PM
Jul 2012
The God of High School
Nov 11, 2013 8:46 PM

Jun 2012
Gwi (pretty short but other than that I enjoy it)
Akame ga kiru
Blade of the Immortal
Cavalier of the Abyss/Immortal Regis (read Immortal first since it's the prequel, personally I think cavalier is leagues better though)
Karate Shoukoushi Kohinata Minoru
Shin Angyo Onshi (amazing Manwha)
Sun-Ken Rock
Tenjo Tenge (is alright, not the best but fits your description for martial arts)
Until death Do Us Part (Haven't read this yet so I can't say for sure, I've heard good things about it though)
Zetman (maybe I'm not sure about this one)
Witch Hunter (another one I'm not 100% on)
Vinland Saga

That's all I had bookmarked on the manga app on my phone that fits your description (at least I think) anyway, if you do find something good shoot me a pm or something as this is my favorite type of manga/manwha and I can't seem to find anymore

Serial lurker
Nov 13, 2013 6:25 PM

May 2011
@alex yeah I know exactly what you mean. I've read the majority of what you listed. I'm going to start on Blade of the Immortal now, that seems to be one that is interesting and fit my criteria.

Until Death Do us Part seems interesting.

Zetman's not...as serious as what I'd like it to be. Witch Hunter I'll take a look at as well.

And yeah haha, I"m running out of things to read from this genre too it sucks :/. After Sword of the Emperor got canceled I just finished reading Rain and Ruler of the Land which I've never heard of before. Hoping to find good hidden gems like those that fits my tastes :)

Bump for more please!
Nov 13, 2013 6:33 PM

Jul 2013
Tower of god- really good main character gets way strong in the second season
The breaker/ new waves- awesome
ability- Its pretty good
Dragons rioting- pretty good

Also a really good one nobody ever mentions is big order one of my personal favorites.
Nov 13, 2013 10:32 PM

Jun 2012
Gunster said:
@alex yeah I know exactly what you mean. I've read the majority of what you listed. I'm going to start on Blade of the Immortal now, that seems to be one that is interesting and fit my criteria.

Until Death Do us Part seems interesting.

Zetman's not...as serious as what I'd like it to be. Witch Hunter I'll take a look at as well.

And yeah haha, I"m running out of things to read from this genre too it sucks :/. After Sword of the Emperor got canceled I just finished reading Rain and Ruler of the Land which I've never heard of before. Hoping to find good hidden gems like those that fits my tastes :)

Bump for more please!
Yeah I understand, it takes special taste to like zetman, however if you're looking for it to be serious zetman is pretty dark and gruesome, the anime not so much, the manga is pretty crazy though.

Also if you haven't read it; I highly, HIGHLY, recommend immortal Regis. The character development is so good and the MC becomes pretty much unstoppable a little into the story. Also I tend to hate most of the melodramatic shit/forgive everyone shit you see in a lot of manga/manwha, this one has none of that. It really is amazing.

I think I've praised that enough now, but anyway good luck to you man, also I'm sure you've read it but I might as well add Berserk. Berserk has gotta be the best manga ever written hands down.

Serial lurker
Nov 14, 2013 12:54 AM

Jul 2009
"Manga compatibility with Gunster is: 84.4%". So probably whatever I recommend to you, it will suit your tastes.

As you mentioned above, ecchi in Kenichi takes a big part - it will get even worse. But it's just addition to pages like that:
http://i39.mangareader.net/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi/541/historys-strongest-disciple-kenichi-4498047.jpg
http://a.mpcdn.net/manga/p/440/381907/9.jpg
( i just clicked on random chapters). Kenichi will improve slowly but watching this process chapter by chapter is awesome.

I second all the positions above ( exept Zetman and Ranmna 1/2, just not my thing)

And some random choices from my list:
Beelzebub ( you got this on the list, but I don't know if you read this or not)
Kyou Kara Ore Wa!! ( more like school delinquents manga)
Hareluya II Boy (as above)
Groove Adventure Rave (from Fairy Tail author, I enjoyed it a lot- after some point)
Ares (pretty much what you've asked for, if I remember correctly)
Blade of the Immortal
Trace
Gamaran
Jackals
Tough
Nov 14, 2013 11:33 PM

Jan 2013
Veritas
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=10249

Rebirth Knight
http://myanimelist.net/manga.php?id=57777

Veritas is very very similar to the breaker, it has all different forms of martial arts that are all superpowered and gets really intense. Rebirth knight is kinda new (it only has like 8 chapters or so i think) but is kinda like the breaker.
Nov 22, 2015 4:30 PM
Nov 2015
Try soul land/combat continent/doulo dalu and Battle for the heavens
Dec 11, 2015 1:38 PM
Dec 2015
I would recommend :

1.Change guy

2.Id

3.Wu Dong Qian Kun

4.Combat Continent 1&2

5. Dragon Rioting

6. Feng Shen Ji

7. Tough

8. Clover

9. Marchen Embodiment of Tales

10. The Gamer
Aug 5, 2016 6:04 AM
Nov 2015
fights break sphere
panlong
zui wu dao
doulou dalu
tales of demons and gods
shen yin wang zuo
xian ni
good reaper
the great conqueror
ao shi jiu chong tian
wu dong qian kun
da zhu zai

they are manhuas but the fit your description it is martial arts and the mc is a boy and they came to the top of the world of martial arts

hope you like it
Oct 9, 2016 1:25 PM
Jul 2016
You can read The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor , Shanlian de Sishen
Nov 28, 2016 6:57 PM
Dec 2015
Hey have you tried Mujang, its lightly based off historical events. The MC is a fucken badass even when he isn't really powerful and he gets more and more powerful as the series goes on. Also Vagabond which is more realistic and bases of Japanese Ronin.
Nov 28, 2016 8:50 PM

Oct 2016
https://myanimelist.net/manga/988/Shijou_Saikyou_no_Deshi_Kenichi

Nov 29, 2016 5:58 PM

Apr 2014
the god of highschool
doulou dalu
SHEN YIN WANG ZUO
The truth is, every one is going to hurt you.
You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.....
May 12, 2017 8:32 AM
Dec 2016
I belive the mangas that fit those description are
1 mujang
2 red storm
3 yongbi the invcible
4 gosu
All of these mangas have op mc and completely fit your description.plus they are quite light and also have good comedy.i am sure you will like them.
Jan 5, 2018 8:39 PM
Jan 2018
+1
Gosu
Mujang
Red storm
Immortal regis/cavalier of the abyss
Douluo dolu 3

Battle through heavens
Jan 5, 2018 9:48 PM

Feb 2017
girls of the wild
green boy
full contact
kure nai
double arts
Pretty Face
The Breaker
transfer student storm bringer

May 18, 2019 1:10 PM
May 2019
god of highschool where the mc is already powerful but gets freakishly overpowered over time
Nov 12, 2019 5:02 PM
Nov 2019
Try the following, it fits your criteria specially the OP MC and martial arts.

Apotheosis
Renegade Immortal
The mythical realm
Spirit sword sovereign
Hardcore Leveling Warrior
Solo leveling
Volcanic Age
Noblesse
Battle Frenzy
God of martial arts
Martial peak
Spirit Blade mountain
Peerless Dad
Divine Throne
Stellar Transformations
Wu geng ji (The legend and the hero)
Desolate era
I shall seal the heavens
Nov 12, 2019 10:28 PM
Jan 2012
Holyland!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nov 13, 2019 2:14 PM

Oct 2018
Thread Locked
As per Anime & Manga Recommendations Rules, please do not bump rec threads not started by you that are older than 2 weeks.
Dreaming 'bout long gone things;
Days, on end, repeating infinitely.
Like the inside of a never-ending dream,
Whilst looking for the endless morn...
Only to return to the dream again
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

» what to watch after Lain

kerokero- - Sep 14

7 by VampireLord1024 »»
2 hours ago

» Anime that fits this criteria? (or similar to GaoGaiGar)

GoldionHammer - Today

9 by GoldionHammer »»
3 hours ago

» Romance Drama

AdityaRizkiS - Sep 15

5 by UberBat »»
4 hours ago

» Looking for a certain shade of brown hair

Nagi_Karman - 9 hours ago

3 by mo_lave »»
4 hours ago

» Recommend some anime (slice of life).

rey_s9 - Sep 12

7 by VampireLord1024 »»
7 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.