Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 6, 2016 8:24 AM
Jun 2013
Suppose an alien from alien galaxy is looking at earth through awesome telescope . He is 65 million years away from us . So he is looking at Dinosaurs . And suppose he comes here within an hour (it does not matter how), what would he see here?

01 Dinosaurs
02 Humans living in 2016
03 Humans living in 2016 + ( 3600 x speed of light ) years into the future ??? >_<

Suppose a worm hole lets us travel from Earth to a planet 12 billion light years in one piece , Won't we be travelling faster than light that way ?
KaulDevaSep 6, 2016 8:29 AM
Sep 6, 2016 8:33 AM

Mar 2016
He would see humans living in 2016

Thing is, it's difficult to theorise much about this situation as you are supposing that this alien travels through space many times faster than the speed of light, which is impossible. Even though you say it doesn't matter how, it is actually impossible, so it's meaningless to say anything about the situation.

Also, the rule for the speed of light is that no information can travel faster than light through space, but with a wormhole, you are not travelling through space but crossing from one area of space-time to another (and wormholes are entirely hypothetical).
bigboy420Sep 6, 2016 9:25 AM
Sep 6, 2016 8:45 AM

Sep 2015
Basically what the above person said. If he magically teleported to earth he'd see 2016 humans since he'd be closer to the earth, therefore, light doesn't take as long to travel to him from earth
Sep 6, 2016 8:52 AM

Nov 2015
Dinosaurs ofc. I no sarcasm

Faster than light travel isn't so strange really. In a certain relativistic frame (to some galaxy far far away from us), you are, right now, traveling faster than light. Mind-blown? I think not.
TranceSep 6, 2016 9:11 AM
Sep 6, 2016 9:10 AM

Sep 2016
Is it theoretically impossible to travel faster than the speed of light?
I have amused myself
As we all do, we poets--writing vows
To Chloris, Phyllis--any pretty name--
You might have had a pocketful of them!
Take it, and turn to facts my fantasies--
I loosed these loves like doves into the air;
Give them a habitation and a home.
Here, take it-- You will find me all the more
Eloquent, being insincere! Come!
Sep 6, 2016 9:30 AM

Mar 2016
PhilosophyFirst said:

Some 'things' can; for example, if it were possible to cast a shadow on the moon with your finger from earth, then moving your finger could cause the shadow to move across the surface of the moon faster than light. The reason this can happen is that a shadow doesn't actually consist of data, so there is, in reality, no 'thing' that actually moves, you just witness the absence of light in different areas on the surface of the moon.
So to answer the question, yes, it is impossible.
Sep 6, 2016 9:36 AM

Sep 2016
bigboy420 said:
PhilosophyFirst said:

Some 'things' can; for example, if it were possible to cast a shadow on the moon with your finger from earth, then moving your finger could cause the shadow to move across the surface of the moon faster than light. The reason this can happen is that a shadow doesn't actually consist of data, so there is, in reality, no 'thing' that actually moves, you just witness the absence of light in different areas on the surface of the moon.

Why can't things with data travel faster than the speed of light?
I have amused myself
Sep 6, 2016 9:44 AM

Aug 2016
PhilosophyFirst said:

Currently no.
But hypothetically it could be possible via tachyon but we aren't sure they exist.
Sep 6, 2016 9:52 AM

Mar 2016
PhilosophyFirst said:
bigboy420 said:

Well, to explain it as simply as I can: The only things that can travel at the speed of light (henceforth, c) are things without mass; which is, most of the time, only photons (electromagnetism) and gluons (strong interaction between quarks). Everything with mass travels slower than c, and this is because as a particle is accelerated closer to c, some of the energy of the particle becomes mass; and with the particle becoming more massive, more energy is required to accelerate it further. Also, time is not constant, time actually slows down for objects approaching the speed of light; at speed c, time for the object stops altogether.
bigboy420Sep 6, 2016 9:55 AM
Sep 6, 2016 10:25 AM

Sep 2016
bigboy420 said:
PhilosophyFirst said:

Well, to explain it as simply as I can: The only things that can travel at the speed of light (henceforth, c) are things without mass; which is, most of the time, only photons (electromagnetism) and gluons (strong interaction between quarks). Everything with mass travels slower than c, and this is because as a particle is accelerated closer to c, some of the energy of the particle becomes mass; and with the particle becoming more massive, more energy is required to accelerate it further. Also, time is not constant, time actually slows down for objects approaching the speed of light; at speed c, time for the object stops altogether.

At the speed of light, if time stops for objects altogether then why would someone observing earth from thousands of light years away see the past? What's the connection there?
I have amused myself
Sep 6, 2016 10:31 AM

Mar 2016
PhilosophyFirst said:
bigboy420 said:

At the speed of light, if time stops for objects altogether then why would someone observing earth from thousands of light years away see the past? What's the connection there?

Time stops from the perspective of the object travelling at c, not for observers. Light from the Earth would travel towards the observer at speed c, and would take x years, where x is the distance from Earth (in light-years) of the observer; meaning that the image would be of an Earth x years earlier than the time of observation.
Sep 6, 2016 10:43 AM
Jun 2013
bigboy420 said:
PhilosophyFirst said:

How does Hologram work ? If we are projected on Earth and our real self is some where else , in that case what will be the speed ?
Sep 6, 2016 1:38 PM

Mar 2016
ashishkaull said:
bigboy420 said:

How does Hologram work ? If we are projected on Earth and our real self is some where else , in that case what will be the speed ?

Well, digital data such as a hologram can be transferred in different ways, but usually through electromagnetic radiation, so it would be similar to what happens when observing light from distant stars; your hologram would have a 'lag' of time x, where x is the amount of time it would take for light to travel from the 'real' you to wherever your hologram was.
Sep 6, 2016 2:47 PM

Aug 2015
Well, Superman flew around the world in an opposite direction and went back in time. So it can be done!
idk about you but the closer a girl gets to looking like ronald mcdonald, the more aroused i become. CAV

where can we cast our eyes to @PoruMairu who thinks of himself a member of the true church. Helion.
May 2, 2022 6:24 AM
Apr 2022
Thing is, it's hard to theorize a great deal about this situation as you are supposing that this alien travels through space normally faster than the rate of light, which is impossible. Even although you are saying it does not depend how, it's miles definitely impossible, so it's meaningless to mention something about the situation.

More topics from this board

Poll: » do you even watch anime like how you used to?

college_boy - 10 hours ago

15 by Mualani »»
1 minute ago

» I believe in solipsism. Is that crazy?

purple_rayn - 6 minutes ago

1 by SmugSatoko »»
3 minutes ago

» Why are Vikings worshipped when they were thugs that stole and raped anything

vasipi4946 - Today

27 by Adnash »»
4 minutes ago

» Can I Still make Shit posts on MAL?

MellowJello - Today

18 by Daviljoe193 »»
22 minutes ago

» How often do you go to the gym or workout in general?

ZakuF_ - 39 minutes ago

5 by Icymatika »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.