Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (25) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 26, 2013 2:53 AM

Jun 2008
I really don't get this "moral" bullshit. If you really thing about it "morally" then what we have now is the most moral of all. Poor people can pirate stuff and those with money can buy whatever the hell they like. But no according to this people, those without money shouldn't enjoy stuff.
The argument about stopping people pirating is stupid. Lets say you have 10 million in the bank, and you can pretty much buy more than $40000 worth stuff every month just for the hell of it. Would you not buy the new shinny blu-ray of Ghost in the Shell because you can find a download of the series on some site? I think you would, because you have the money to do so and it makes you feel nice having it on the library.
I have very few anime bought but if i had tons of money i would be buying even half-bad anime cause well i just have money to waste.
So in the end all this people getting frustrated with pirating simply have pointless frustrations because those that have the money to really support the industry would buy anyway and they will support it. The others won't and if you have a problem with them then i'll ask you why to you care about someone enjoying something even if he doesn't have money. Are you that upset you aren't as privilege as you would like because you have money?
MonadJun 26, 2013 3:08 AM
Jun 26, 2013 3:03 AM

Mar 2012
RarityRoyale said:
I stream because I am computer illiterate and cannot for the life of me figure out torrenting.

Streaming:
Go to streaming site > Search for series > Click episode > Click play.
> Wait for video to load > Video finally plays after while> Quality is terrible and hurts my eyes > Video pauses every 5 seconds to load for 10 seconds > Subs are terrible > Reaches the opening theme > Video lags even more > Finally get into the episode > Video lags even more when the over the top comedy/action scene comes in > Quality still sucks > Fuck it I'm torrenting this show

Torrenting:
Go to nyaa or fansubbers website > Click download > Let it download overnight or watch something else > Download complete > Watch in 720p with no lag
Jun 26, 2013 3:07 AM

Jun 2008
RarityRoyale said:
I stream because I am computer illiterate and cannot for the life of me figure out torrenting.

Torrenting: (Using an actual example that happened to me this morning when I tried to download Macross Frontier)
Go to torrenting site > Search for series > Try to figure out which of the dozens of links is the right one > Wtf is a seeder? > Click download > Wtf is it doing now > Oh it's starting > Boxes pop up asking me questions I don't understand > Click > Oh it's starting > Finished > Click episode video > "Windows cannot play this video" > Why not > Maybe it's not finished? > Click > Now what is it doing? > Browser says file will take five hours to finish downloading > Still not sure if I'm doing it right > Fuck it.

Well fuck! Seeing that, you really are computer illiterate. How can anyone make a simple torrent look like nuclear physics is beyond me.
Jun 26, 2013 3:33 AM

Oct 2012
rederoin said:
And I don't see what hipster-ism has to do with this, do you just want to feel superior to those who download/torrent, because it sure sounds like it. Because you seem to be so hellbent on proving streams are better. Even when you admit the quality is lower(aside from HD streams like CR).
Actually, most people in this thread are "hellbent" to prove that there should be no reason to stream ever. The fact that you're even attempting to turn the tables on this shows how close I must've hit home. There are times for quality and also times when you want to start watching in the shortest amount of time possible. Acting as if quality by itself dictates what one should do is ridiculous, for reasons that I've mentioned but you've ignored because you're more interested in ad hominem to justify your hipster-ism.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jun 26, 2013 3:35 AM

Jan 2013
SaberRitsu said:
RarityRoyale said:

Streaming:
Go to streaming site > Search for series > Click episode > Click play.
> Wait for video to load > Video finally plays after while> Quality is terrible and hurts my eyes > Video pauses every 5 seconds to load for 10 seconds > Subs are terrible > Reaches the opening theme > Video lags even more > Finally get into the episode > Video lags even more when the over the top comedy/action scene comes in > Quality still sucks > Fuck it I'm torrenting this show

Torrenting:
Go to nyaa or fansubbers website > Click download > Let it download overnight or watch something else > Download complete > Watch in 720p with no lag

You must have some really shitty internet if your video lags that much...
Jun 26, 2013 3:35 AM

May 2012
RarityRoyale said:

Torrenting: (Using an actual example that happened to me this morning when I tried to download Macross Frontier)
Go to torrenting site > Search for series > Try to figure out which of the dozens of links is the right one > Wtf is a seeder? > Click download > Wtf is it doing now > Oh it's starting > Boxes pop up asking me questions I don't understand > Click > Oh it's starting > Finished > Click episode video > "Windows cannot play this video" > Why not > Maybe it's not finished? > Click > Now what is it doing? > Browser says file will take five hours to finish downloading > Still not sure if I'm doing it right > Fuck it.

I tried it again and it still couldn't play so fuck torrenting forever. I prefer watching DVDs anyway.

Edit: By the way, thanks to everyone who explained the torrenting process to me. The problem is though, no matter what kind of torrent I try to use, I get an error message when I try to play the video, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
RarityJun 26, 2013 3:44 AM
Jun 26, 2013 3:54 AM

Jul 2012
RarityRoyale said:

Windows Media Player...

Download MPC HC and follow these steps:

http://coalgirls.wakku.to/faq/playback/setup-guide-for-mpc-hc-madvr
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Jun 26, 2013 4:09 AM

Nov 2012
Orsonius said:
RarityRoyale said:

Windows Media Player...

seconded.

Windows media player is useless...

Do what orsonius told you to.

Yes you really are computer illiterate.
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever."
"Anon is legitimately retarded so you shouldn't be too proud of yourself." -Enema
Jun 26, 2013 4:15 AM
Mar 2012
Jaguer91 said:
He... I've never paid for watch anime and I don't think I do.
If I have the option to watch it for free, why would I pay?
Besides most anime don't deserve a cent.

10/10 LOL
Jun 26, 2013 4:19 AM

May 2012
Orsonius said:

Windows Media Player...

Why do you need to download so much random shit just to watch anime? This is why I prefer streaming.
Jun 26, 2013 4:27 AM

Jul 2012
RarityRoyale said:
Orsonius said:

Windows Media Player...

Why do you need to download so much random shit just to watch anime? This is why I prefer streaming.

Because Windows doesn't come with an Anime Theater System.
MPC is just a better media player that is all.
And Torrenting well you need a torrent program (preferably utorrent 2.1 or below)

That's 2 programs.
Also as mentioned 100 times watching on your computer has many ups compared to streams. The biggest is quality, and I telly you once you know good quality you don't wanna have bad again.
Jun 26, 2013 5:14 AM

Mar 2012
RarityRoyale said:
Orsonius said:

Windows Media Player...

If you go through a little confusion now, it'll do you a whole world of good for a long time.
Jun 26, 2013 5:15 AM

Feb 2013
Orsonius said:
RarityRoyale said:

Windows Media Player...

HHAHAH,
@RarityRoyale download VLC Media Player. Wmp doesn't play .mkv files.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2013 5:40 AM

Jul 2012
ziga1221 said:

Please don't download VLC...
Picture retalted
Jun 26, 2013 5:51 AM

Feb 2013
Orsonius said:
ziga1221 said:

Picture retalted

I have been using vlc for ages now, never had a problem nor something similar to the picture you posted.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 26, 2013 6:01 AM

Jul 2012
ziga1221 said:
Orsonius said:
ziga1221 said:

Picture retalted

I have been using vlc for ages now, never had a problem nor something similar to the picture you posted.

Lucky, before I knew about MPCHC I used VLC as well and had some serious green artifacts on my screen.
Jun 26, 2013 6:05 AM

Aug 2012
Orsonius said:
ziga1221 said:
Orsonius said:
ziga1221 said:

Picture retalted

Lucky, before I knew about MPCHC I used VLC as well and had some serious green artifacts on my screen.
I had that problem on my old-ass laptop as well (with VLC). I opened up the settings and enabled Hardware Acceleration (or whatever it's called) and all my 720p videos suddenly played smoothly. Sadly, 1080p still lagged like hell. That was due more to the fact that my laptop had crap hardware.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Jun 26, 2013 6:09 AM

Apr 2013
Orsonius said:

This guy really pisses me off, not necessarily what he says but his general demeanor.
Jun 26, 2013 6:24 AM

Feb 2013
Orsonius said:
ziga1221 said:
Orsonius said:
ziga1221 said:

Picture retalted

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111225194530AAwprgw
http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337
What were your computer specs then? if you had a shitty computer then that would be the case, my vlc always uses 75 mb+ memory, so if you had like 256 mb physical memory, well..
Jun 26, 2013 6:56 AM

Jul 2012
ziga1221 said:
Orsonius said:
ziga1221 said:
Orsonius said:
ziga1221 said:

Picture retalted

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111225194530AAwprgw
http://www.livestream.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1337
What were your computer specs then? if you had a shitty computer then that would be the case, my vlc always uses 75 mb+ memory, so if you had like 256 mb physical memory, well..

I don't really care anymore, MPC is good and has the best quality even videos work in VLC.
Jun 26, 2013 7:02 AM

Feb 2013
Orsonius said:

I don't really care anymore, MPC is good and has the best quality even videos work in VLC.

Then our debate ends here, sadly. I looked on the internet a little, I didn't really know what MPC is (stupid of me, I know), but I can say that (leaving the rounded edges of the buttons aside) it looks exactly like VLC.
Jun 26, 2013 10:47 AM

Nov 2012
Friend of mine pirates everything.

Water spills on his laptop, he loses everything.

The curse of the pirate.
how i r8

1- crpy animee no gud
10- gud aniem, dep plot, lots of cute grls
Jun 26, 2013 12:06 PM

Nov 2012
Water is eventually the doom of all pirates. heheh...
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever."
"Anon is legitimately retarded so you shouldn't be too proud of yourself." -Enema
Jun 26, 2013 2:46 PM

Feb 2012
Orsonius said:
Why does he give a shit about what other people do? It's not like it affects him.

He doesn't, he even says this in the video you posted.
Jun 26, 2013 3:46 PM

Mar 2010
The whole point of trying to get people to stop illegally watching anime is so the company who is selling the product earns money.

Now If I were to watch anime on crunchyroll or any free streaming site that does not really helping the company out. I would still not be paying anything.

So there is really no difference between a free streaming site vs a illegal one.

Also not mention I normally buy anime and manga on a normal basis even though I watch it illegally

When he said anime is cheap that is a bunch of bull. The cheapest box set for anime where I live is $60. Compare that to a normal average american tv show that is a box set is around $30. That is 2x the price.
Jun 30, 2013 1:03 AM

Mar 2013
I hate paying for things I cant keep, thats why I don't like Netflix, crunchyroll, spotify etc.
And they don't sell many anime in my country
I'm a Internet pirate, damn proud of it too!
Jun 30, 2013 1:19 AM

Jan 2013
Free stuff is nice :D
Jun 30, 2013 1:28 AM

Jun 2013
I just download my anime and sometimes buy manga and goods so I help the makers a bit but I watch too much anime to buy all those pricy dvd boxes. So downloading is the solution, btw downloading is legal.
Jun 30, 2013 1:49 AM

Nov 2012
Orsonius said:
Nidstang said:
I never realized how many there were that hated Arkada. How amusing.

I never hated him, I just find him unpleasant, his reviews are never really critical, he seems to be happy with everything. And his jokes are vicariously embarrassing.

Also he wears clothing like he is cosplaying on some anime convention, which makes him look like a douche.

Yeah his reviews just seem waaay too generous and obviously biased. The Clannad one especially.
Jun 30, 2013 1:51 AM

Nov 2012
Orsonius said:
Nidstang said:
And who cares about the fucking dub?! That's not a factor that decides if the show is good or bad.

Oh man you have no idea how much I hate that.
Maybe the only thing I really hate about him.
Why is he so obsessed with dubs.

First of: Not everyone is american or native english speaker.
These people don't give a shit about the american dub, they don't care about the voiceactors or how well it sounds.

American VA < Japanese.
Because it's fucking japanese in the first place. Watching shows dubbed is retarded, in any medium. Not only does meaning get lost, the actors also convey emotions with their original voices.

Mostly american dubs for anime sound really awkward because 'murricah! Everyone sounds so damn off.

Argh.

+1 Amen brutha. I literally mute his reviews when he shows footage of the dub lol!
Jun 30, 2013 2:22 AM

Apr 2011
Not once have I legally bought an anime. I've legally watched a couple of anime, but I've never bought one. Not because I'm a douche, but because I have no legal alternative. Crunchyroll? Daisuki? Hulu? The thing is, not the entire world live in the US. We here in South Asia don't exist. What the hell does region locking even accomplish? The second (and main) reason is, I'm broke. I'm not gonna sit down and say "Hey, guess what. We ain't got any money, so I guess that means we shouldn't be enjoying any shit." Thirdly, it's absolutely stupid to buy an anime blindly without knowing whether or not you're gonna like it. Best check it using free alternatives beforehand, rather than risk wasting precious money. Besides, I come from the land of digital piracy, Maldives, where everyone and anyone is a pirate. Not exactly something to be proud of, but growing up in such a country, I'm bound to pick up a few habits.
Jun 30, 2013 3:10 AM

Feb 2013
yhunata said:

Jun 30, 2013 3:27 AM

Jan 2013
BakaBT anyone? My source of anime
Jun 30, 2013 4:06 AM

Jun 2012
At first I'll download it, then watch it. If I enjoyed it enough, I'll buy it.
Everyone wins.
Jun 30, 2013 4:55 AM

Feb 2013
loserboi said:
BakaBT anyone? My source of anime

Right here :3
Jun 30, 2013 8:52 AM

May 2010
LOL its illegal to download/stream anime?

Good luck, LEA

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jun 30, 2013 12:02 PM

Jan 2008
Decimate said:

^Pretty much this.

Jun 30, 2013 12:33 PM
Jun 2013
I think this is a big gray area when we talk about morals and this is coming from a very opinionated guy who is usually polarized in his opinions. Maybe I might be just a little biased because of the fact that I do it myself. Stealing is immoral but can we call it stealing? I guess if it causes the owner to lose profit it is immoral whether it can be called stealing or not.
Jun 30, 2013 12:43 PM

May 2013
Jun 30, 2013 1:53 PM

May 2010
I watch anime online line, I used to have crunchy roll but not anymore.
If I really like an anime I buy it, but if I don't I drop it.
Sep 22, 2013 10:49 PM

Aug 2007
Orsonius said:
I think this has been discusses before, but new people come old people go.
So opinions shift, and in the last couple of months it doesn‘t seem like this has been discussed.
At least I wasn‘t in a discussion about this.
I bring up this topic because a Youtuber by the name of Arkada (Glass Reflection) made a video about it >>>

He includes only Americans or people from native English speaking countries such as Australia or Canada. So it doesn‘t directly affect me.

Anyways, he makes following Statements:

1) Illegal Streaming and Downloading in USA(and AUS, CA etc) is not necessary, because of legal alternatives which are also free (crunchyroll, hulu and others)

2) Illegal Streaming and Downloading is „morally“ wrong, and you shouldn‘t do it.

3) Even if you buy the BluRay etc. later it‘s still bad to use illegal services.

4) Anime is not expensive, buying things is possible
4.2) Hobbies are supposed to be costly, you cannot have a Hobby that doesn‘t cost money. Anime is also a Hobby so expecting it to be for free is foolish

5) (partially) Illegal streaming and downloading harms the Industry.

I include some of my own thoughts on this now and then I want to know what MAL Users think about this topic.

1) I am not american, I have no access to these services and I don‘t see a good alternative for me but to download it illegally besides actually buying it.
1.2) If I was american I think Streaming in general is not as good as downloading, thus Crunchyroll and so on are not services I find more beneficial than torrents.

2) The moral argument is always a weak argument, it’s about what has the most benefits and the least downsides on how i decide what I do (also my preferences which are defined by my upbringing and education and experience and so on). He might find it morally wrong, but to use it as an argument to convince someone else not to do it is weak.
Some say “homosexuality is morally wrong” but that does not explain why and make homosexuals heterosexual.

3) Not only is this the moral argument again, but I also don’t see how that is wrong either. If I end up buying the stuff later anyways, no harm was done.

4) What is expensive is defined by the individual, he mentions schoolkids not having enough money to buy DVDs and Blurays. I think Anime is really expensive if you buy a lot of it, and some shows are super expensive just on their own.
4.2) I disagree, there are hobbies that are free. I also think many anime watchers are very casual about it and just wouldn’t watch anime at all if there was no online streaming for it. Having a free alternative to get into something is a good way to have more people starting that hobby and some day actually pay for it.

5) While he does say he is not sure about this, I do as well. Anime are first and foremost targeted at japanese people. Most anime do not get licensed outside of Japan, don’t get a dub and don’t air in Television. So European, American and Australian viewers are not potential customers and thus are not included into the sales calculation. They are extra revenue.

I will add more thoughts when we have more discussion, so what is your stand on this?

I know this thread and post are old but I want to post anyway. I would say his worst argument was number 3. It makes absolutely no sense. You are still supporting the companies if you download something then pay for it later.

In general the companies claims that piracy causes them to lose money is just flat out made up bullshit. Companies like to count every illegal download a lost sale when the majority of people wouldn't buy the product in the first place hence there not being a lost sale.
Sep 22, 2013 10:58 PM

Sep 2013
Drunk_Samurai said:
Orsonius said:
I think this has been discusses before, but new people come old people go.
So opinions shift, and in the last couple of months it doesn‘t seem like this has been discussed.
At least I wasn‘t in a discussion about this.
I bring up this topic because a Youtuber by the name of Arkada (Glass Reflection) made a video about it >>>

He includes only Americans or people from native English speaking countries such as Australia or Canada. So it doesn‘t directly affect me.

Anyways, he makes following Statements:

1) Illegal Streaming and Downloading in USA(and AUS, CA etc) is not necessary, because of legal alternatives which are also free (crunchyroll, hulu and others)

2) Illegal Streaming and Downloading is „morally“ wrong, and you shouldn‘t do it.

3) Even if you buy the BluRay etc. later it‘s still bad to use illegal services.

4) Anime is not expensive, buying things is possible
4.2) Hobbies are supposed to be costly, you cannot have a Hobby that doesn‘t cost money. Anime is also a Hobby so expecting it to be for free is foolish

5) (partially) Illegal streaming and downloading harms the Industry.

I include some of my own thoughts on this now and then I want to know what MAL Users think about this topic.

1) I am not american, I have no access to these services and I don‘t see a good alternative for me but to download it illegally besides actually buying it.
1.2) If I was american I think Streaming in general is not as good as downloading, thus Crunchyroll and so on are not services I find more beneficial than torrents.

2) The moral argument is always a weak argument, it’s about what has the most benefits and the least downsides on how i decide what I do (also my preferences which are defined by my upbringing and education and experience and so on). He might find it morally wrong, but to use it as an argument to convince someone else not to do it is weak.
Some say “homosexuality is morally wrong” but that does not explain why and make homosexuals heterosexual.

3) Not only is this the moral argument again, but I also don’t see how that is wrong either. If I end up buying the stuff later anyways, no harm was done.

4) What is expensive is defined by the individual, he mentions schoolkids not having enough money to buy DVDs and Blurays. I think Anime is really expensive if you buy a lot of it, and some shows are super expensive just on their own.
4.2) I disagree, there are hobbies that are free. I also think many anime watchers are very casual about it and just wouldn’t watch anime at all if there was no online streaming for it. Having a free alternative to get into something is a good way to have more people starting that hobby and some day actually pay for it.

5) While he does say he is not sure about this, I do as well. Anime are first and foremost targeted at japanese people. Most anime do not get licensed outside of Japan, don’t get a dub and don’t air in Television. So European, American and Australian viewers are not potential customers and thus are not included into the sales calculation. They are extra revenue.

I will add more thoughts when we have more discussion, so what is your stand on this?

I know this thread and post are old but I want to post anyway. I would say his worst argument was number 3. It makes absolutely no sense. You are still supporting the companies if you download something then pay for it later.

In general the companies claims that piracy causes them to lose money is just flat out made up bullshit. Companies like to count every illegal download a lost sale when the majority of people wouldn't buy the product in the first place hence there not being a lost sale.

Synrite said:
Decimate said:

^Pretty much this.

This is the most ignorant, selfish BULLSHIT I've ever heard, OF COURSE it is hurting the industry and NO you are NOT entitled to watch every single anime and THEN decide if it's worth the buy.
That's not how it works, these people are making shows for you to enjoy, it's their property, they can distribute it at whatever price they see fit. If a show catches your interest enough for you to watch it, you have to pay it. You are basically leeching all the entertainment/work (IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE ACTUALLY ENTERTAINED) for free and decide later like some god on his eternal throne if it was worth it.

That's beyond bullshit, piracy-pigs RELY on legit people to pay for their shows. The industry would be dead if literally everyone would just pirate shows.

I say it again for the not-so-smart under us, you are NOT entitled to watch it all. If you are interested enough that you wanna watch, pay for it, if it's not, don't watch.
Why is this concept so fucking hard to understand for this retarded community.

(apologizes out to those who don't)
Internet-piracy is the cancer of Anime, leechers need to get caught and die out!
Sep 22, 2013 11:06 PM

Apr 2011
newsWatch9 said:
I say it again for the not-so-smart under us, you are NOT entitled to watch it all. If you are interested enough that you wanna watch, pay for it, if it's not, don't watch.
Why is this concept so fucking hard to understand for this retarded community.

(apologizes out to those who don't)

Not every fucking person lives in America or have boat loads of money to splash on anime. Not every fucking person has the ability to watch on "legal streaming" sites. Not every fucking person has the money to spend on anime they may not even enjoy while paying for their family. Not every fucking person remains in the same area, meaning shipping is gonna be difficult. And finally, YOU are not supporting the Japanese anime industry if you're not IMPORTING. But then again, I doubt self-conscious little bastards like yourselves will understand what I'm trying to say here.
Sep 22, 2013 11:13 PM

Jun 2013
Ahhh c'mon yhunata... Let the white knight go on his little moral crusade, nothing like a good lecture from someone on their high horse.
Sep 22, 2013 11:15 PM

Jan 2013
y'all piracy-pigleechers should just die out.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Sep 22, 2013 11:16 PM

Jun 2013
gstaad said:
Dude... not cool. That hurt my feelings.
Sep 22, 2013 11:18 PM

Jan 2013
fackifiknow said:
gstaad said:
What about the feelings of the Japanese anime industry?
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Sep 22, 2013 11:21 PM

Sep 2013
gstaad said:
fackifiknow said:
gstaad said:

So you want the rich get richer?
Sep 22, 2013 11:25 PM

Jan 2013
natsucule said:
gstaad said:
fackifiknow said:
gstaad said:

So you want the rich get richer?
pls try again
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Sep 22, 2013 11:26 PM

Sep 2013
This is pointless, it's not like we're gonna stop downloading/streaming animes just because some dude says it's wrong and evil. And the other party won't understand the conditions that led us to do what we are doing now.
Pages (25) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Which character do you identify with the most?

tahikiry - Sep 26

24 by Kruszer »»
3 minutes ago

» "Its better than those Trash Isekai Shows"

BerriesSan - Sep 26

23 by DinoNo1 »»
8 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows ( 1 2 )

Treatise - Sep 19

77 by Lucifrost »»
20 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Cestlavie_ - Yesterday

156 by Lucifrost »»
23 minutes ago

» If there was an anime based off your whole life, How liked would the anime be ?

Thy-Veseveia - 23 minutes ago

0 by Thy-Veseveia »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.