Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 26, 2008 10:21 PM

Oct 2007
So been watching votoms, macross and everything gundam from universal century. Loving it all so thought to take some suggestions for mecha. Doesn't necessarily have to be old stuff, just some mecha in general. Though I basically hate everything from gundam after universal century, ie wing, x, 00, etc excluding turn a. So dont really need any gundam, macross, votoms suggestions since I'm already covered for what I want to watch.

May 26, 2008 10:59 PM
Apr 2008
I don't see Full Metal Panic or Martian Successor Nadesico on your List. Give those a try if you haven't seen them yet.
May 26, 2008 11:37 PM

Nov 2007
Layzner or Dragonar are probably what you're looking for.
May 27, 2008 12:44 AM

Jun 2007
Sepyuff said:
I don't see Full Metal Panic or Martian Successor Nadesico on your List. Give those a try if you haven't seen them yet.

Seconding both of them.
RahXephon is pretty good too.
May 27, 2008 2:38 AM

Feb 2008
I'll second Full Metal Panic (I actually started with the all out comedy Fumoffu, but I liked the characters so much I checked out the real series. Definitely don't regret it). Rahxephon is really good too, though it seems to be a hit or miss for most.

Also, if you enjoyed Gurren Lagann and Furi Kuri, it's worth seeing Gunbuster. Basically the classic series these shows were based off of and the newer sequel Diebuster is fairly good too (has more of a Lagann/FLCL style with the animation too).

It also might be a stretch, but there's some mecha in the sci-fi series Bubblegum Crisis.
May 27, 2008 7:30 AM

Sep 2007
Gasaraki is an acquired taste - it's obsessively detailed about its mecha, it also dabbles in Evangelion-esque mysticism and it also likes its politics. But it's different, which is nice (same director as Votoms, if I recall correctly).

Since Echelon's avatar and signature reminded me, Infinite Ryvius is not primarily a mecha show, but it has mecha and is an interesting story. Worth a try.

Blue Gender is a mecha/monster/horror show from (again) the same director as Votoms. It feels a bit low-budget to me, but the idea of the humans as the prey is always fun exploring.

Mazinkaiser is a short, comprehensible super robot OVA - it might not do very much that's new, but it has great production values and certainly helped me get my head around super robot concepts.

Escaflowne is famously 'shoujo mecha' - but whatever its genre, it kind-of rocks. 'Why is shoujo mecha so manly?', as I heard someone ask on /m/.

Patlabor, in its various forms, is like a police sitcom with mecha. Unusual take on the concept, big on mecha-as-tool, good fun. OVA is supposed to be good.

Space Runaway Ideon and its movies? It's an odd one, but it was what Tomino directed immediately after finishing Mobile Suit Gundam (the first one). It's supposed to be a predecessor to Evangelion, as well.

Also seconding the suggestions above for Full Metal Panic, Gunbuster and Nadesico. I can't speak for Rahxephon, Layzner or Dragonar, though, I haven't seen them.
May 27, 2008 5:05 PM

Feb 2008
Nedesico is ver good, and also Escaflowne. There's also the classic, Magic Knight Reyearth.
May 27, 2008 10:06 PM

Oct 2007
Try GaoGaiGar or Megazone 23. GaoGaiGar is a nice. actiony show and is somewhat like G Gundam. Megazone 23 is a sci-fi series about a simulated environment. It's like the Matrix(and actually inspired it, in some ways), except with motorcycles that transform into robots.
May 29, 2008 5:02 AM

May 2008
Heroic Age-impressive at first, but got boring w/political intrigue and repetitive battle's
Full Metal Panic-Mecha w/a dash of comedy and some romance here and there
Full Metal The Second Raid-second season, better progressive action,much more serious, much more gory, much more fun
Eureka Seven-Mecha anime but focuses more on the character development
Samurai 7-Mecha in the samurai era, its always nice to see a mecha get cut by just a mere
sword, enjoyable anime imo

More topics from this board

» Anime with main Character(s) constantly on the run / evading capture.

luckyrune - Jun 9

8 by SleepingBear »»
37 minutes ago

» Hentai with realistic orgasms/realistic sex?

isseixkoneko - 6 hours ago

2 by Zarutaku »»
3 hours ago

» Recommend Comedy Anime

Huskyhulk - Yesterday

9 by Jeevanandhnr »»
4 hours ago

» Any good anime that are like Grimgar ?

Ventus_S - Jun 9

15 by Ventus_S »»
5 hours ago

» I need a romance anime

Zamus_Edits - May 28

7 by maliere »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.