Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Oct 13, 12:45 PM

Jun 2019
I haven't yet watched all the series I'm planning to at least try this season, and some still haven't even started airing yet, but that notwithstanding, out of the ones I have seen so far and am following, this has rapidly become one of the most engaging series for me personally. Mainly due to the whole premise and how it's been at least decently executed up to now, but anyway, that's not what this thread topic is about.

Just wondering if anyone has seen or is otherwise familiar with other series in anime which are non-isekai reincarnation stories, as I find that an intriguing prospect which seems like it could be utilized well and a lot more extensively. There are so many possibilities and stories to explore with that concept. It doesn't matter if the series is old or new. It also doesn't have to be romance like this, but can be mystery, action, or whatever. Just the concept is enough.

I know it's something I've seen done in live action, but I'm struggling to think of examples in anime. Also, I know that there are some non-isekai high fantasy ones set in completely alternative worlds, like for a recent example, the recent seasonal I Was Reincarnated as the 7th Prince So I Can Take My Time Perfecting My Magical Ability, from the spring season. But what about ones just on regular 'ol Earth like this?
Oct 13, 12:55 PM

Jul 2015
There is that niche and underrated series titled Oshi no Ko. You should totally check it out.
Bokutachi no Remake is another one.
PieromyslOct 14, 12:32 AM

Oct 13, 1:35 PM

Jul 2011
Korean manwha is filled to the brim with it and some has been animated, also some obscure chinese animes too. There is a movie called "your name" which has a similar concept but with "body swapping" and experiencing things from the other person's perspective.
Oct 13, 1:59 PM
Sep 2020
"Ya Boy Kongming" has a reincarnation within our world
Oct 13, 2:24 PM
Sep 2022
inuyasha
dont listen to what everyone says
its not an isekai
its a time travel show
Oct 13, 2:44 PM
Dec 2020
Mr_Sai said:
inuyasha
its not an isekai
its a time travel show

Basically isekai
Oct 13, 3:02 PM
Apr 2024
Not really reincarnation, but if you haven't seen Re:Life I warmly recommend it.
Oct 13, 3:12 PM

Jan 2021
You can just check the reincarnation tag and exclude Isekai.
spiritual successor of lord rothchild.
Oct 13, 3:25 PM

Nov 2013
Oshi no Ko has to be the perfect example as mentioned in this thread.

Can't recall anything else that would be as perfect of a match.

Don't know if "Angel beats" can count with in-between life and death world, but with same modern world setting.
"Clannad" also has same world reincarnation elements to it but isn't a main focus.
If we can count reincarnation as a ghost, there's "Anohana".
"Paripi Koumei" can count if we include a character who's reincarnated from ancient times to modern Japan.
Oct 13, 3:48 PM

Jun 2019
I can't believe I didn't think of Oshi no Ko. Yes, that is a classic example case of what I'm referring to. I haven't watched it - not even a single episode or minute of it yet, but I'm aware of its existence and know basic info about it like the premise from reading the synopsis, the genres, etc. It's one I've actually thought I may watch or at least give a chance to eventually, but haven't even yet added it to my PTW list for whatever reason. I've been watching primarily seasonals seemingly increasingly so each year to the detriment of already aired/concluded series (I know Oshi no Ko is still ongoing, but I mean that it has already some finished season/seasons out) so I just have such a large backlog of series on my planning list that I think I'm just adding less new series to it on kneejerk whims like I used to.

HansDevX said:
Korean manwha is filled to the brim with it and some has been animated, also some obscure chinese animes too. There is a movie called "your name" which has a similar concept but with "body swapping" and experiencing things from the other person's perspective.

Kimi no Na wa/Your Name, I've seen. It's a 2016 film and I started watching anime in 2016. It's one of the first films I watched that first year of my foray into the anime-verse. I liked the plot because I'm generally down for any time and space hijinks and body swap chaos. It was perhaps a bit overrated, but still cool concept and some gorgeous scenes visually. I agree that though they aren't reincarnated, that film does still bear some strong resemblance to this. I think because of the body swapping, it's that feeling of a person being in a new body, suddenly or otherwise, which doesn't coincide with their consciousness and mental state, or who they were originally. Also nothing to do with reincarnation, but Onimai: I'm Now Your Sister!, a series from 2023, which I watched a few months back, also has this similar feeling to me for that reason.

Mr_Sai said:
inuyasha
its not an isekai
its a time travel show

I agree. It's funny that you say that, because I just posted a short while back on the Inuyasha sub-forum arguing that exact case (about it being clearly time travel). It's my all-time favorite series (anime or otherwise), one of my few 10/10s, and one of the series which convinced or "sold" me on getting into anime. So I'm very well aware of all the plot details and Kagome's situation.

It actually did briefly enter my mind, but I guess that I didn't include it as an example because the reincarnation works differently in Inuyasha. From my understanding it's a more "realistic" portrayal which works closer to how it's envisioned as an actual concept by some world religions such as in Hinduism and Buddhism. Which is that the soul physically still exists and transmigrates, but the new person is regardless still a completely different person with their own consciousness, life, and memories. Kagome is a completely different person from Kikyo (whether Kikyo originally or post-revival version) and it's not like there is any continuity of consciousness. I don't think there's an example of any time in the series where she actually remembers anything from her technically previous life, her life as Kikyo.

Maybe some things are buried deep in the subconscious and she reacts emotionally in certain similar situations to the way that Kikyo would, but no known clear detailed memories - more like a latent power or talent, or muscle memory type thing, if anything. It's more like she has aspects carried over from her physically (like the spiritual power of such a renowned prodigy priestess), but not mentally. The reincarnation in Inuyasha is how I always understood it to be as a thing taught in reality and thought it was unique and subtly beautiful for that reason, for these two different people to have an undeniable spiritual connection across centuries and share soul matter but still be two distinct different people.

Whereas in this series (If My Wife Becomes an Elementary School Student), the reincarnation works more the way it's portrayed in a lot of isekai. Which is that much, if not all, of the original person's consciousness is fully intact and carries over to just like a new vessel. Although one thing I found curious about this series too, which I don't think I've seen in any isekai, is that she was born as a baby of course, but didn't actually have the memories flood back into her awareness for almost her first decade of life.
WatchTillTandavaOct 13, 3:59 PM
Oct 13, 6:35 PM
Jul 2023
The most recent one before this show is The 7th Prince I think.
Oct 13, 7:12 PM
Sep 2020
Reply to sg_epk_1048596
Not really reincarnation, but if you haven't seen Re:Life I warmly recommend it.
@sg_epk_1048596
aint that just isekai without reincarnation
Oct 13, 7:16 PM
Jun 2019
Kobato (2009) had a non-isekai reincarnation element to it.
Oct 14, 5:27 AM
Apr 2021
Redo of healer is technically a fantasy time regression, not an isekai.
Oct 14, 6:16 AM
Oct 2014
Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Kayou
Oct 14, 6:21 AM
Oct 2019
1) oshi no ko
2) Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Kayou
3) Paripi Koumei
4) Dead Mount Death Play
5) Inu to Hasami wa Tsukaiyou
6) Oda Cinnamon Nobunaga

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru. Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - 6 hours ago

10 by WatchTillTandava »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru. Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 6

83 by ratecutsplease »»
Yesterday, 9:16 PM

» It’s an absolute shame what the ignorant tourists did to this anime ( 1 2 )

ShirikonDaichi - Sep 29

79 by Crescent_ »»
Yesterday, 8:31 PM

Poll: » Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru. Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 6

68 by ToleratedToast6 »»
Yesterday, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Tsuma, Shougakusei ni Naru. Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 13

51 by CocoaGalaxy »»
Oct 18, 7:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.