Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 26, 5:14 AM

Nov 2019
Do you recognize Anime references to other anime or pop? Do you think anime should incorporate this more? What examples do you remember or have saved?

Jun 26, 5:16 AM

Dec 2015
Most of them I usually recognise. The one which I always remember is Fist of the north star reference in Bleach:

Jun 26, 5:23 AM

Jun 2024
There were so many references in one of the episodes of FLCL... Nazis, Jimi Hendrix, a South Park parody, sexual innuendos, Lupin the Third, and Neon Genesis Evangelion. There are probably some other ones too that I'll never understand the references to.
Jun 26, 5:27 AM

Nov 2020
ST63LTH said:
Do you recognize Anime references to other anime or pop? Do you think anime should incorporate this more? What examples do you remember or have saved?

Anime/manga referencing other anime/manga has, is and will always be a thing. It is nothing new. One of the most popular ones is Naruto and One Piece giving references of each other in their manga:

There is nothing really too surprising about it. The Big 3 are the most popular along with Dragon Ball. So it is obvious that many smaller anime will incorporate some references of these giants into themselves; be it for popularity, relatability or just humour. Another one is JJBA. The phrase 'JoJo's reference' is literally all over the internet. Do I need to say more?
Here's a JJK one in which there are references of Bleach, Naruto, Dragon Ball and Yuu Yuu Hakusho (I guess Gege just hates One Piece) :

"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Jun 26, 5:41 AM

Sep 2016
ST63LTH said:
Do you recognize Anime references to other anime or pop?
Only if I know about the referenced media, but I sure missed a few of these as well.

ST63LTH said:
Do you think anime should incorporate this more?
It's a two-edged sword, references can be funny and surprising, but they can also be segregating and tiresome because they aren't universally understandable.

ST63LTH said:
What examples do you remember or have saved?
Too many to mention, so just this:
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 26, 6:06 AM
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
I can't really remember any references except the JoJo you mentioned.
But how many anime references can you see in cartoons or tv-series?
Here's one I saw the other day while watching Family Guy.
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
Jun 26, 6:09 AM

May 2019
I think references to ashita no joe will always be the funniest.

Jun 26, 6:18 AM
Apr 2024
I like how the Pokémon anime made a mechanic to reference Pokémon talk... Twice (I know it is from the games and probably the biggest coincidence ever but still), also Bochi's reference of evangelion

More topics from this board

» Anime of the Season ( 1 2 )

Raajdeep - Sep 19

64 by perseii »»
18 minutes ago

» Why does MAL still use Romaji for Anime Titles When not even the japanese do??? ( 1 2 3 )

Cestlavie_ - Yesterday

145 by Vaturna »»
19 minutes ago

» Would you sacrifice your favorite anime in exchange for that your waifu will become real?

Spunkert - 5 hours ago

19 by Hero_of_My_Story »»
19 minutes ago

» Do you collect anime cels? Or other anime production materials?

DesuMaiden - Sep 24

12 by AverageRiceFan »»
23 minutes ago

Poll: » bad ending means a bad show?

deg - Sep 26

40 by Absurdo_N »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.