Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jun 11, 10:27 AM
Jan 2023
Don't you guys think that this anime is probably the best because I mean it almost covers all the genres, i.e. it covers romance genre as there's pretty much romance in it, it even covers up isekai genre, it also covers up action genre, it covers up sci-fi genre, it covers up fantasy world genre, it covers up adventure genre, isn't that crazy? lol
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 11, 10:29 AM

Feb 2024
Bait used to be believable.
Jun 11, 10:30 AM

Sep 2016
"Best anime ?"

No 😂😂😂

ZarutakuJun 12, 2:07 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 11, 10:31 AM
Jan 2023
Zarutaku said:
"Best anime ?"

No.

That was rather a fast reply lol
Jun 11, 10:44 AM

Mar 2013
I do not think it did any of those genres well, honestly. That, and trying to be every genre is not what makes an anime or series great. I am curious as why you think being every genre makes an anime better, because I do not see it. If an anime can make me laugh and can make me cry, than that is great, but not every series should strive to cover all these different genres. Romance series Whispers of the Heart like are not any lesser simply because they do not have sword fights and magic, and it is silly to view it as such. Some stories are better off not having major elements of horror, of drama, or comedy.

My biggest complaints about Sword Art Online is the time skips. How can we skip over the interesting parts of building up relationships and action and still be invested in these characters? It would be akin to One Piece skipping all the way to the Dressrosa arc. People have defended this by saying "it was written for a contest", but that only explains why the series is written poorly, not make it any less poorly written. Maybe write a different story then?

We are still left with the original work that has not so much excised these part as much as it left them to be written in a future date, we got the beginning and the ending but no middle. I simply do not enjoy skipping development.
Jun 11, 10:44 AM
Feb 2015
I’ve always said SAO is objectively the best anime ever, because it was able to capture literally every single genre while still maintaining the direction of the plot.

Glad to see someone else noticed this, but others just don’t get it.
Jun 11, 10:52 AM
Jul 2021
Mixoris said:
I’ve always said SAO is objectively the best anime ever, because it was able to capture literally every single genre while still maintaining the direction of the plot.

Bruv you delusional,. Don't get me wrong it's really good but far from great, however season 3 was epic.
Jun 11, 10:54 AM
Mar 2022
man you foolin no one 😭💀
Jun 11, 10:59 AM
Dec 2020
i enjoyed it, parts of it were a bit odd but don't think it's the best show ever, far from it.
Jun 11, 11:00 AM
May 2023
Hell no. It was good until halfway into season one ✋🏻😭
Jun 11, 11:02 AM

Sep 2018
I think it stands above most anime as I enjoy it it a lot. Underworld s2 was my fav part so far.
Jun 11, 11:06 AM

Jan 2023
gotta say that I disagree. Don't get me wrong I love SAO, but personally and objectively do I have to disagree. First of all is the fact that it covers multiple genres not basis for being the best, especially since other shows out performs it in some of those genres.

Also it objectively fails to be the best, because of how many viewers it lost at the transition from SAO to Alfheim.

But hey if you think it's the best, then good for you, keep enjoying it.
Jun 11, 11:09 AM
Jul 2020
inthelovedotorg said:
Don't you guys think that this anime is probably the best because I mean it almost covers all the genres, i.e. it covers romance genre as there's pretty much romance in it, it even covers up isekai genre, it also covers up action genre, it covers up sci-fi genre, it covers up fantasy world genre, it covers up adventure genre, isn't that crazy? lol
Nah bro only watched 100+ anime and have guts to say SAO is the best anime? Anybody who said SAO the best anime of all times. Clearly they are casual anime watcher and don't watch anime that much
RainmeJun 11, 11:32 AM
Jun 11, 11:18 AM
Feb 2021
other than 2nd half of s1 and s2
Sao is absolute peak for me
especially the alicization season
my top 4 anime of all time
Jun 11, 11:32 AM
Jul 2023
covering all genres not make an anime best covering that genres good make it best
Jun 11, 11:35 AM
Mar 2019
Mixoris said:

agree but people are just simple minded to not get it and just care about brain rot turn off brain only action no story
Jun 11, 11:38 AM
Feb 2021
hell nah never ever
Jun 11, 11:40 AM
Apr 2022
it's the weakest anime I've ever watched
Jun 11, 11:42 AM

Dec 2020
Bro seems to be on drugs judging animes on most covered up genres
Jun 11, 11:43 AM
Mar 2019
I agree and it's a top 10 anime but I don't think it covers Mecha genre, the anime is peak but it doesn't show them going against most monsters and how they met each other etc luckily the movies does that to fill in the gap, each season gets better and better to me there was no fall off were it got boring it maintain it's 8 rating and I plan to watch it again I miss sword art online I'm hoping for another season and movie.
Jun 11, 11:44 AM

Dec 2020
SenshadouOtaku said:
Hell no. It was good until halfway into season one ✋🏻😭

Totally agree. Still remember the shock I got seeing the huge goddamn plothole after the last half started
Jun 11, 12:17 PM

Mar 2023
Then why don't you have it in your favorites if it is the best anime?
Jun 11, 12:19 PM

Dec 2018
Eh, I think Sailor Moon, Major, Steins Gate, and Madoka Magica are better than SAO.

Jun 11, 12:20 PM
Nov 2023
Kreshre said:
Mixoris said:

agree but people are just simple minded to not get it and just care about brain rot turn off brain only action no story

Maybe the simple minded ones are those who are satisfied with something so basic. I’m being a little less than kind because I am annoyed by people like you saying that anyone with a different opinion is stupid. Fascism works like that. If some of us find a show too simple that spoonfeeds the plot in digestible lumps does that give you the right to try to talk down to us? Your tastes and opinions are valid but you cross the line trying to claim intellectual superiority from liking a cartoon 😂
Jun 11, 12:28 PM
Nov 2022
Absolutely mate best anime of all time transcends every anime even Game of Thrones!!!
Jun 11, 12:39 PM
Dec 2021
Best? Maybe a little too much said. There are parts were they could have done Better. (Except Alicization that was Absolute Cinema ✋😏🤚)

But my favorite anime for life. What I love the most about this is the Effort that was put to create it: Top Tier VA's, Great Animation ,Top sound Effects, Amazing and without doubt at least top 10 OST's and Openings in All Anime's.
Jun 11, 12:41 PM

Dec 2019
Hate to say it brodie, but MyAnimeList doesn't provide payouts for engagement-bait posts unlike Twitter
Jun 11, 12:59 PM
Mar 2024
Romance? Nah, characters are boring
Isekai? Nah, it's a video game
Action? Nah, SnK and many other animes are better.
Sci-Fi? What did u try? Steins;gate

If u want this all in one, try getting moon 🤷. But I'm sure it ain't.
Jun 11, 1:06 PM

Jun 2022
no. good? debatable... but best? no.
Jun 11, 1:12 PM

Aug 2023
not really but is very notable
Jun 11, 1:31 PM

Jan 2023
I think a more interesting and more debatable subject would be how impactful the anime was, since it got mainstream pretty fast, as far as I remember.
Jun 11, 1:32 PM
Mar 2019
FutoiOtaku said:
Kreshre said:

Maybe the simple minded ones are those who are satisfied with something so basic. I’m being a little less than kind because I am annoyed by people like you saying that anyone with a different opinion is stupid. Fascism works like that. If some of us find a show too simple that spoonfeeds the plot in digestible lumps does that give you the right to try to talk down to us? Your tastes and opinions are valid but you cross the line trying to claim intellectual superiority from liking a cartoon 😂

well I did like spoon fed shows as a kid and turn off brain just want action sometimes, I still do watch some animes like that still like cautious hero and god of highschool saying I'm call them dumb and I'm smart is wrong I'm not smart and some animes are just confusing like ergo proxy and psycho pass etc if I was smart I would not watch TV and just read books only and study the dictionary.
Jun 11, 1:36 PM
Nov 2023
Kreshre said:
FutoiOtaku said:

well I did like spoon fed shows as a kid and turn off brain just want action sometimes, I still do watch some animes like that still like cautious hero and god of highschool saying I'm call them dumb and I'm smart is wrong I'm not smart and some animes are just confusing like ergo proxy and psycho pass etc if I was smart I would not watch TV and just read books only and study the dictionary.

Much better approach, balanced and well thought out. I share pretty much all of those opinions and see now that you’re a reasonable person. I still don’t share your views on SAO but that’s fine. Individual taste is good.
Jun 11, 1:44 PM
Apr 2023
Definitely not Sao I can tell you that
Jun 11, 1:58 PM
Mar 2021
Yeah i agree with you as a new anime watcher
but if you dig deep into manga and LN it's a mid,cz LN>manga >anime always people expect so much from their fv characters and tht level of experience in the new world,
before wn i saw anime i thought this was one of the greatest anime but now naaa! .
dig deep you will know tooo!!
Anime Rules the world
Jun 11, 2:09 PM

Mar 2021
hell no calling it the best anime is an understatement, it's the greatest piece of media ever made by humans this right here is peak fiction
Jun 11, 2:12 PM
Dec 2022
Best anime? For me - no way.
Jun 11, 2:29 PM
Sep 2022
One Piece
Bleach
Naruto
Fma Alchemist
Jujutsu Kaisen
Death Note
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Sou sou no frieren
Fate
And why sao?
Ok, its good but bro....
The last season has good animation and soundtrack but is not the best anime lol.
Jun 11, 3:15 PM

Jul 2017
just because a dish is salty sweet spicy sour bitter umami at the same time doesnt mean itll be delicious

and no sao is pretty dogshit
Jun 11, 3:59 PM

Oct 2015
Gintama also covers all genre……
Jun 11, 4:03 PM

Apr 2020
You wanna know whats funny?
If I go: "Damn, you're a trolling motherf*cker for posting this" - I would get a warning
Meanwhile, you can create Threads like this, with as many alt-accounts as you like^^

Sooooo....
My answer is: Absoultely! It's the best anime, ever.
I agree.
Jun 11, 4:15 PM
Aug 2022
highschool dxd with more genres
Jun 11, 4:32 PM
Jan 2021
People hating SAO in 2024 is crazy imo. It’s a good show. But yeah, not best.
The right mindset when watching an anime is hoping that it will break your top 10
Jun 11, 4:46 PM
Mar 2019
Musashi7818 said:
One Piece
Bleach
Naruto
Fma Alchemist
Jujutsu Kaisen
Death Note
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Sou sou no frieren
Fate
And why sao?
Ok, its good but bro....
The last season has good animation and soundtrack but is not the best anime lol.

fate I been trying to watch but it's the watch order that sucks at the beginning like what to watch first plus I have to play the game to continue the story I don't know when I will start watching it but at least there are a lot of content to enjoy I seen all those anime you mentioned but I paused one piece cause I had no time to watch it I think I saw like 53 episodes so far I'm doing a watch order of it and plan to continue early summer not later I'm trying to catch up before the end of the year so I don't get spoilers from ads of one piece
Jun 11, 4:55 PM

Oct 2019
While I won't say it's the best anime per say...I'd still say it was one of the best animes (at the time it came out). I won't deny that it was pretty lackluster in some ways, but for me personally when I first watched it, I thought it was great. But alas, I was but a mere child back then...times change and above all else, tastes change. The anime is also just better to watch without analyzing anything or looking too closely.

Covering every genre doesn't make an anime good, I'd say it makes it worse, a lot worse; makes it harder to focus on the main plotline if it gets too messy. I think SAO was perfect as it was from S1 and S2. I don't mean perfect as in the best anime, but perfect for what the SAO anime felt like it did best at.
Jun 11, 6:37 PM
Oct 2020
If you found a favorite anime, then that’s great
Jun 11, 7:08 PM

Mar 2013
Reply to zkl
While I won't say it's the best anime per say...I'd still say it was one of the best animes (at the time it came out). I won't deny that it was pretty lackluster in some ways, but for me personally when I first watched it, I thought it was great. But alas, I was but a mere child back then...times change and above all else, tastes change. The anime is also just better to watch without analyzing anything or looking too closely.

Covering every genre doesn't make an anime good, I'd say it makes it worse, a lot worse; makes it harder to focus on the main plotline if it gets too messy. I think SAO was perfect as it was from S1 and S2. I don't mean perfect as in the best anime, but perfect for what the SAO anime felt like it did best at.
zkl_ said:
Covering every genre doesn't make an anime good, I'd say it makes it worse, a lot worse; makes it harder to focus on the main plotline if it gets too messy.

I think more than that, some shows naturally benefit from avoiding certain genres, depending on the intent and the author's individual strengths. One Piece has been stated by Oda numerous times that romance will never happen between the straw hats, and that romance would never be the central focus of the series. Gintama is also a series where romance is spoofed. Both of these series have consistent messages and themes which would be hard to reconcile if relationships were not platonic. You cannot have themes of platonic brotherhood if Sanji and Nami hooked up, or Boa and Luffy got together.

These shows are better because they don't have romance. The same can be said for Oshi No Ko due to the type of character Aqua is.

If we extend it to Sword Art Online, it is arguably not a very romantic anime. Asuna does get eclipsed in screen time in many parts of the series to focus on other characters like Sinon, Alice, Yuuki, who are not attracted to Kirito.
Jun 11, 7:20 PM
May 2024
i can say atleast first half of season 1+alicisation/wotuw imo best isekai
Jun 11, 8:08 PM
Apr 2024
and somehow it still was a terrible show after they got out of the sword art online part
Jun 11, 8:25 PM
Jun 2023
Alizication and underworld both are amazing and my fav
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2012

492 by ItsXolo »»
Sep 15, 12:11 PM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

belatkuro - Aug 25, 2012

535 by AliQasim22 »»
Sep 13, 12:37 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

951 by Rexnihilo »»
Sep 7, 11:16 AM

» Can someone explain?

infinite_Shadows - Jun 3

23 by Swyzen »»
Aug 30, 2:32 PM

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

166 by Zarutaku »»
Aug 24, 12:13 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.