New
May 26, 4:43 PM

Jan 2019

Does anyone think this was a good update? it's so ugly to me

my suggestion is revert and reeducate
May 26, 9:01 PM
Aug 2020
+1

I hope they revert it back to the way it was.
May 26, 9:34 PM
Aug 2016
No, they shouldn't revert, and for a simple reason:
There's a good update there, ruined by shit design choices.

The whole one-per-line, sensible ordering by release date and and type info in the compact part of the list is great, and everything the related entry section needed, because the primary issue of the old system was that if you had a bunch of relations in one categry, it'd become a difficult to read run-on listing that was ordered seemingly at random. Good luck getting a quick overview from that.
The issue comes with the new bigger design for the entries deemed important, regardless of whether they are. It makes the whole section feel inconsistent, is harder to parse, and takes up lots of space, which is then the reasoning for the "more entries" button and abbreviating the list to only 4 entries by default, making you click lots of buttons for no good reason.

Just change it to all be the new compact layout, increase the cut-off for abbreviating to like 10, and have that be the redesign. Then it's a great update.
Reverting the update would just open the door for a worse redesign IMO, when we've already got a good solution right in front of us.

People have complained about it in the announcement thread, and there's even a tampermonkey script to change it to be all new compact.
May 26, 10:39 PM

Jan 2017
Shenhe said:
my suggestion is revert and reeducate
-IndigoChild- said:
I hope they revert it back to the way it was.

They never revert something they changed. Now we just have to deal with it.
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
May 27, 12:11 AM

Mar 2022
Ha, I was wondering what that empty space was before this update.
I personally don't mind it, if classifications are actually right. They are too many that are obviously wrong.
Though, I still fail to understand how is something like this priority.
May 28, 8:39 PM
Nov 2010
I like these changes. It still needs some polishing, but imo it's at least better than it was.

Showing each anime in a separate line and including the type in parentheses (Movie, TV, ...) makes it much easier to find what I'm looking for. The only change I'm not yet so sure about is the thumbnails for adaptations, prequels and sequels. But maybe it just takes some time to get used to; 95%+ of the times I check related entries I'm looking for prequel or sequel, so having them like this can make it even easier to find.
Jun 4, 6:19 AM

Apr 2021
i like being able to see the covers without clicking the entries, but it could use a bit more polishing maybe
Jun 4, 6:51 AM

Sep 2016
Using pictures was a terrible idea and that new dropdown box for other related entries has a flawed logic.
It would be fine if it only hides a huge number of related entries like One Piece, but sometimes it also hides just 1 related entry which is totally redundant.
Example: https://myanimelist.net/anime/17074/Monogatari_Series__Second_Season

ZarutakuJun 4, 7:03 AM
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 21, 2:47 AM

Jan 2019
Please add an option to toggle back to old design this shit is so ass. It blends in with ads and I auto block it with my god tier brain
Jun 21, 7:37 AM
Aug 2016
Reply to Shenhe
Please add an option to toggle back to old design this shit is so ass. It blends in with ads and I auto block it with my god tier brain
@Shenhe Just install Robbirobb's RelationFixer Tampermonkey script.

The script fixes all of the issues with the redesign while keeping all of its improvements. And if they ever add a toggle, I hope it's to switch between the new design and Robbi's script. The old design wasn't good and did need fixing. Too bad MAL spent half their time fixing and half their time breaking anew.
Jun 21, 4:51 PM
Jun 2017
It honestly annoys me to no end they did this change. It makes it an ABSOLUTE FUCKING PAIN scrolling on series that have either side stories or multiple seasons. I honestly hope they revert this soon and fire whichever clown came up with that idea. If it has worked (And let us be real it has, cause no one likes this change) For all these years then changing it made no literal improvement.... Sigh....
Jun 21, 9:29 PM

Jan 2019
Fellas what's your favorite MAL replacements? might actually be time to dip from this shit hole

More topics from this board

» Prevent very new accounts from creating public interest stacks (And recommendations).

Daviljoe193 - Sep 21

10 by Daviljoe193 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Instead of default Rōmaji have an option use officially translated English title

TheSunLife - Sep 13

15 by Auron_ »»
Yesterday, 12:31 PM

» Add Filters to Top Lists

rti9 - Yesterday

0 by rti9 »»
Yesterday, 1:23 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

22 by IridescentJaune »»
Sep 23, 8:17 PM

» Like button on user's comments in episode discussions

Katanaoni - Jul 19

8 by CosmicGirl »»
Sep 22, 2:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.