Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
A Condition Called Love
Available on Manga Store
New
May 3, 5:00 AM
Dec 2015
This anime will be actually a really good romance/sol as it goes.
i think manga readers will agree with me, i know Hananoi-kun seems a bit insane, but as the story goes he will be a much better person and we will get to understand why he is like that.
It's not the best romance ever but I think the dynamic is really interesting between them, both of them have things to understand about themselves and how love works.

sorry for my bad English, this is my first topic ever
May 3, 5:25 AM
Aug 2022
Ngl the shows already shining for me, I don’t think hananoi is insane, it’s just genuine love from him. I love this show because imo it shows what a genuine relationship can be like and what troubles you have to go through or how you always are thinking of eachother and want to be together.

But hell if it gets even better I’m all for it
May 3, 5:50 AM
Dec 2021
mohamed_ashraf said:
i think manga readers will agree with me, i know Hananoi-kun seems a bit insane, but as the story goes he will be a much better person and we will get to understand why he is like that.
It's not the best romance ever but I think the dynamic is really interesting between them, both of them have things to understand about themselves and how love works.

Well they better give a really good explanation because Hananoi is genuinely insane. He’s obsessed with Hinase to an unhealthy amount and it gives me the creeps.

May 3, 6:17 AM
Dec 2022
mohamed_ashraf said:

Yes, you're right. I caught up to the manga since and even some new chapters dropped last week. I was exactly like this when I started the manga. it was annoying to read and I didn't like it. But after I found out about why he turned out like that, man, my whole view on the manga changed. So as a manga reader, all I can say is that those watching the anime and not reading the manga, you are in for a lot of plot twists and reveals.
May 3, 9:47 AM
May 2022
CheliosX said:
mohamed_ashraf said:

Yes, you're right. I caught up to the manga since and even some new chapters dropped last week. I was exactly like this when I started the manga. it was annoying to read and I didn't like it. But after I found out about why he turned out like that, man, my whole view on the manga changed. So as a manga reader, all I can say is that those watching the anime and not reading the manga, you are in for a lot of plot twists and reveals.

Spoil me his past please. It pisses me off sometimes how obsessed he is for no reason since the first day despite knowing nothing about the girl.
May 3, 9:49 AM
Dec 2022
ElmoBoredAsf said:
CheliosX said:

Spoil me his past please. It pisses me off sometimes how obsessed he is for no reason since the first day despite knowing nothing about the girl.

The reason he is like that centers around Hotaru.
May 3, 10:30 AM
Feb 2018
So many people have absolutely no ability to interpret fiction. They see Hananoi's red flags and think "omg, I can't believe this show is portraying this behavior as cute when it's actually creepy". Hananoi being creepy is the entire point of the story! People can't seem to make the mental leap that, just because a story is showing something, that doesn't mean the story is saying those actions are good. Same goes for Hotaru. She's definitely being charmed by Hananoi, but she's a self-admitted beginner at romance and doesn't know any better. And even Hotaru is catching that a lot of Hananoi's actions are questionable. She's always noticing when he pushes himself too hard or goes way too far, and it bothers her. Meanwhile, she's making plenty of her own mistakes, like how she keeps dismissing the depth of Hananoi's feelings by stringing him along without realizing it.

This is a story about two deeply imperfect people who are figuring out what love is. Hotaru admits she doesn't know. Hananoi thought he did but, at the beginning, he didn't really know what love is either. He just had an idealized version of it where he found a soulmate and they were 100% devoted to each other and everything was perfect. That isn't actually what love is, though. It was clear to me by the end of episode one that this was what the story would be about, so it's sad seeing so many posts here where people don't seem to realize it.

These two are on a bumpy road towards finding out what love really is, and I personally am finding their story fascinating. It's nice to see an anime actually explore the pitfalls of dating (as opposed to the hundreds of shows about schoolkids in eternal stasis where, if you're lucky, they finally confess to each other in the final episode). It's nice to see a story where the characters are realistically flawed. Everything that Hananoi does is something I can easily see a misguided teenager doing and thinking it was the pinnacle of romance. Everything Hotaru does is something I can see a clueless teenager doing because they didn't know any better. These two are wonderful characters, and it bugs me that more people can't see that because they don't bother thinking for five seconds about the themes of the show they're watching.
May 3, 12:04 PM

May 2017
I like mediocre romances anyway lol my only issue is with the art, it's so ugly ๐Ÿ˜ญ it's making me seriously consider reading the manga, which is a good thing lol
May 3, 12:59 PM
Mar 2023
yea I agree it is genuinely very good as u progress and I can really see it getting better with each episode so yeah give it time it might turn into a pretty good romance anime.
May 3, 1:26 PM

Nov 2010
As a manga reader, until how many more eps do we have to wait for it to shine? Hopefully, not by the end of the season?

"๐Ÿ‡ฎ‌๐Ÿ‡น‌'๐Ÿ‡ธ‌ ๐Ÿ‡ณ‌๐Ÿ‡ด‌๐Ÿ‡น‌ ๐Ÿ‡ฑ‌๐Ÿ‡ฎ‌๐Ÿ‡ฐ‌๐Ÿ‡ช‌ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ‌ ๐Ÿ‡จ‌๐Ÿ‡ฆ‌๐Ÿ‡ณ‌'๐Ÿ‡น‌ ๐Ÿ‡น‌๐Ÿ‡ฆ‌๐Ÿ‡ฑ‌๐Ÿ‡ฐ‌ ๐Ÿ‡น‌๐Ÿ‡ด‌ ๐Ÿ‡ต‌๐Ÿ‡ช‌๐Ÿ‡ด‌๐Ÿ‡ต‌๐Ÿ‡ฑ‌๐Ÿ‡ช‌. ๐Ÿ‡ฎ‌ ๐Ÿ‡ฏ‌๐Ÿ‡บ‌๐Ÿ‡ธ‌๐Ÿ‡น‌ ๐Ÿ‡ฉ‌๐Ÿ‡ด‌๐Ÿ‡ณ‌'๐Ÿ‡น‌ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ‌๐Ÿ‡ณ‌๐Ÿ‡ฉ‌๐Ÿ‡บ‌๐Ÿ‡ฑ‌๐Ÿ‡ฌ‌๐Ÿ‡ช‌ ๐Ÿ‡ฎ‌๐Ÿ‡ณ‌ ๐Ÿ‡ต‌๐Ÿ‡ด‌๐Ÿ‡ฎ‌๐Ÿ‡ณ‌๐Ÿ‡น‌๐Ÿ‡ฑ‌๐Ÿ‡ช‌๐Ÿ‡ธ‌๐Ÿ‡ธ‌ ๐Ÿ‡ธ‌๐Ÿ‡ฒ‌๐Ÿ‡ฆ‌๐Ÿ‡ฑ‌๐Ÿ‡ฑ‌ ๐Ÿ‡น‌๐Ÿ‡ฆ‌๐Ÿ‡ฑ‌๐Ÿ‡ฐ‌๐Ÿ‡ธ‌."

May 3, 3:07 PM
Dec 2015
Reply to Eleben
mohamed_ashraf said:

Well they better give a really good explanation because Hananoi is genuinely insane. He’s obsessed with Hinase to an unhealthy amount and it gives me the creeps.
@Eleben he really loves her, the problem is how he express his love.
and you will find out that he thinks if he have a gf that he absolutely love, he needs no more people.
he is wrong in the head but he isn't a bad person by any means, i would argue that there're people exactly like him in real life.

as the story progresses you will find out why he loves Hotaru this much, why he thinks he only needs one person and no more, any he will slowly but surely try to get involve in other relationships with other people and will make friends even if he still thinks they aren't his friends and he doesn't need them.
He simply needs support to understand himself and other.

Hotaru on the other hand will be the good partner and will actively help him get in other relationships,

on the other side she will fix try his view of "love" and will try to understand the meaning of it with him.

The other amazing part about this anime is the idea that "love" isn't the same for everyone, and the way you make it true is by understanding the other person's concept of love and try to much his with yours to come to a middle ground,
Hananoi-kun has the concept/idea of absolute devotion, Hotaru even though she actually and truly loves him doesn't have the same concept, so how to make this love works?
Yes this is actually a problem that faces real people not only fictional characters.

The last thing that I want to point out the name of this manga
"A condition called love" or in the literal translation "Hananoi-kun and the Sickness of Love" did you get me there?
mohamed_ashrafMay 3, 3:40 PM
May 3, 3:13 PM
Dec 2015
Reply to Westerlyn
So many people have absolutely no ability to interpret fiction. They see Hananoi's red flags and think "omg, I can't believe this show is portraying this behavior as cute when it's actually creepy". Hananoi being creepy is the entire point of the story! People can't seem to make the mental leap that, just because a story is showing something, that doesn't mean the story is saying those actions are good. Same goes for Hotaru. She's definitely being charmed by Hananoi, but she's a self-admitted beginner at romance and doesn't know any better. And even Hotaru is catching that a lot of Hananoi's actions are questionable. She's always noticing when he pushes himself too hard or goes way too far, and it bothers her. Meanwhile, she's making plenty of her own mistakes, like how she keeps dismissing the depth of Hananoi's feelings by stringing him along without realizing it.

This is a story about two deeply imperfect people who are figuring out what love is. Hotaru admits she doesn't know. Hananoi thought he did but, at the beginning, he didn't really know what love is either. He just had an idealized version of it where he found a soulmate and they were 100% devoted to each other and everything was perfect. That isn't actually what love is, though. It was clear to me by the end of episode one that this was what the story would be about, so it's sad seeing so many posts here where people don't seem to realize it.

These two are on a bumpy road towards finding out what love really is, and I personally am finding their story fascinating. It's nice to see an anime actually explore the pitfalls of dating (as opposed to the hundreds of shows about schoolkids in eternal stasis where, if you're lucky, they finally confess to each other in the final episode). It's nice to see a story where the characters are realistically flawed. Everything that Hananoi does is something I can easily see a misguided teenager doing and thinking it was the pinnacle of romance. Everything Hotaru does is something I can see a clueless teenager doing because they didn't know any better. These two are wonderful characters, and it bugs me that more people can't see that because they don't bother thinking for five seconds about the themes of the show they're watching.
@Westerlyn
Thank you, you really understand my POV.
I further illustrated what you said in my above reply and happy to share the same opinion with you.
but you don't need to be aggressive with the way you address people, i made this whole topic just for more people to understand that this anime is actually trying to tell something deeper than a lame story about a creepy boy that loves a clueless girl.
mohamed_ashrafMay 3, 3:30 PM
May 3, 3:16 PM
Dec 2015
Reply to ElzardLN
yea I agree it is genuinely very good as u progress and I can really see it getting better with each episode so yeah give it time it might turn into a pretty good romance anime.
@ElzardLN
I'm on chapter 23 which is less than half the released i think and i can guarantee it's in good figure right now
May 3, 4:20 PM
Feb 2018
Reply to mohamed_ashraf
@Westerlyn
Thank you, you really understand my POV.
I further illustrated what you said in my above reply and happy to share the same opinion with you.
but you don't need to be aggressive with the way you address people, i made this whole topic just for more people to understand that this anime is actually trying to tell something deeper than a lame story about a creepy boy that loves a clueless girl.
@mohamed_ashraf
I don't think I was especially aggressive, just frustrated by a lot of the reviews and posts here. One of the negative reviews for this anime complains that the author couldn’t think of a more natural or healthy way to get the romance started. That tells me they fundamentally failed to understand the kind of story the author is trying to tell. If Hananoi was capable of being healthy and natural at the beginning, it'd be a completely different anime.
May 3, 4:58 PM
Jan 2022
Reply to demision
I like mediocre romances anyway lol my only issue is with the art, it's so ugly ๐Ÿ˜ญ it's making me seriously consider reading the manga, which is a good thing lol
@demision True, the animation and art are horrible, overall, this anime is nothing good.
May 3, 6:47 PM
Dec 2019
Won’t be dropping this because the ED song has me in a chokehold. If the show gets better that’s a bonus.
May 3, 11:11 PM
Dec 2021
mohamed_ashraf said:
@Eleben he really loves her, the problem is how he express his love.
and you will find out that he thinks if he have a gf that he absolutely love, he needs no more people.
he is wrong in the head but he isn't a bad person by any means, i would argue that there're people exactly like him in real life.

as the story progresses you will find out why he loves Hotaru this much, why he thinks he only needs one person and no more, any he will slowly but surely try to get involve in other relationships with other people and will make friends even if he still thinks they aren't his friends and he doesn't need them.
He simply needs support to understand himself and other.

Hotaru on the other hand will be the good partner and will actively help him get in other relationships,

on the other side she will fix try his view of "love" and will try to understand the meaning of it with him.

The other amazing part about this anime is the idea that "love" isn't the same for everyone, and the way you make it true is by understanding the other person's concept of love and try to much his with yours to come to a middle ground,
Hananoi-kun has the concept/idea of absolute devotion, Hotaru even though she actually and truly loves him doesn't have the same concept, so how to make this love works?
Yes this is actually a problem that faces real people not only fictional characters.

The last thing that I want to point out the name of this manga
"A condition called love" or in the literal translation "Hananoi-kun and the Sickness of Love" did you get me there?

I’ll stick around and find out. If what you’re saying is true, it should all make sense in the end.

May 4, 1:59 AM
Apr 2024
I am actually grateful that my friends and I read the manga before the anime adaptation. I agree that the story gets better along with the character's development and also as the stories from their childhood came to light. I agree that Hananoi might be overwhelming but some of his actions like waiting for Hotaru to finish her shift, walking to school/home with her, wanting to spend as much time as possible with her are quite relatable as I've seen many of my friends are quite like this. A lot of my friends tend to devote most of their time with their partners spending less time with friends or family and showing no interest in gaining more friends simply branding new people they meet as acquaintances, at first this annoyed me branding these friends as overly clingy but as I matured I realized that maybe that's actually what love is, wanting as much time as possible with your partner and showing your devotion to the relationship. Idk, perhaps that's why the title is "A Condition Called Love".
May 4, 2:37 PM

Mar 2022
I am a manga reader and, in my personal opinion, Hananoi is a character who falls really badly after the school festival arc (chapters 39 - 43/ Vol. 10 - 11). I'm not going to provide any spoilers, but I'll just say that Hananoi reveals an extremely dark and toxic side in order to "protect" Hotaru.

Hananoi is a very complex character. Many people love him but, at the same time, many people hate him (regardless of whether he has trauma, that often does not justify why he should behave like that). Still, after that dark arc I just mentioned above, you really begin to see a small significant change in Hananoi (opening up more this time on its own terms).

In my opinion, I think Hananoi would "shine" (in many quotes) if the anime were an adaptation of 24 - 26 chapters. However, being only 12 greatly limits our ability to truly appreciate significant progress both in her actions and in her personality (the same goes for Hotaru, who in this adaptation feels like an extremely generic and empty girl).
May 4, 10:50 PM

Nov 2019
Phantom_373 said:
Ngl the shows already shining for me, I don’t think hananoi is insane, it’s just genuine love from him. I love this show because imo it shows what a genuine relationship can be like and what troubles you have to go through or how you always are thinking of eachother and want to be together.

But hell if it gets even better I’m all for it

I don't consider the lack of personal space or obsession 'common sense' or anything other than 'genuinely ugly and selfish that portrays the need of intervention and therapist's consult' after all. "I'm Addicted to You!," lol
SgtBateManMay 4, 11:03 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

May 6, 5:43 AM
Aug 2017
Manga reader here and while I liked the manga, eventho it's not among my favorites, the problem with the anime at least for me..it's that it's so god damn ugly in comparison. I haven't watched since ep 2 and judging by the clips ive seen of what has been adapted in ep 3-5, i can't say it tempts me to go back to it. The story is good but the anime literally spits in the face of this series.
May 6, 5:53 AM

Apr 2012
I understand perfectly well what you want to say and I support it, but it is better to write about this in the discussion of the episodes than to create separate topics. Because people don't like it when people who read manga try to spoil things, even if not maliciously.
May 7, 6:14 PM
Jul 2023
i like the anime and think it has a good story
May 9, 2:35 PM
Dec 2015
Reply to RobertBobert
I understand perfectly well what you want to say and I support it, but it is better to write about this in the discussion of the episodes than to create separate topics. Because people don't like it when people who read manga try to spoil things, even if not maliciously.
@RobertBobert
I'm not trying to spoil anything, it just bugs me that people see very wrong perspective of the story(with the very low rating for now).
and I want them to give the manga a try, I really enjoy it.
May 9, 2:41 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to mohamed_ashraf
@RobertBobert
I'm not trying to spoil anything, it just bugs me that people see very wrong perspective of the story(with the very low rating for now).
@mohamed_ashraf I understand that you are not trying. But people in the fandom don't really like it because of the manga readers who seem to be deliberately trying to show off that they know more than the anime-only viewers. Therefore, it is better to simply write this under a spoiler in response to a comment from a person whom you consider to be mistaken. For example, in a thread where people are discussing that Hananoi is "crazy."
May 16, 6:43 AM

Jul 2021
i watched 2 episodes and found it lil boring. worth continuing? its been on hold since ep 2aired

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 16, 10:59 AM
Jan 2022
Reply to TsutanaiFuun
i watched 2 episodes and found it lil boring. worth continuing? its been on hold since ep 2aired
@TsutanaiFuun No, I watched episode 7 and it's still the same thing
May 16, 10:04 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Benedito29
@TsutanaiFuun No, I watched episode 7 and it's still the same thing
@Benedito29 damn. i guess ill just hold on then

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

May 17, 6:49 AM

Dec 2016
I only watch anime and of romance I have seen many, for now I judge what I have seen: there is no chemistry between the two main characters, the story is poorly written, the characterization of the characters is even worse, this makes it so that you can't identify with either of them and you are dragged along by Hananoi's many strange exaggerations that I have a hard time understanding, as a result he looks like a maniac. Hotaru is okay but does not exaggerate next to Hananoi and is not able to carry the show like other characters such as: Noda Megumi(Nodame Cantabile), Oscar François de Jarjeyes(Versailles no Bara), Ayase Chihaya(Chihayafuru), Honda Tooru(Fruits Basket), Iwakawa MItsumi(Skip to loafer).
May 17, 10:19 AM
Oct 2023
Not saying you are right or wrong but give it more time 7/12 episodes in is absurd. Like, someone should probably know if they like the show by now. If it takes a show 8 or more out of 12 episodes to get good then that's a very hard sell.
May 17, 10:28 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to BlondieLottie
I am a manga reader and, in my personal opinion, Hananoi is a character who falls really badly after the school festival arc (chapters 39 - 43/ Vol. 10 - 11). I'm not going to provide any spoilers, but I'll just say that Hananoi reveals an extremely dark and toxic side in order to "protect" Hotaru.

Hananoi is a very complex character. Many people love him but, at the same time, many people hate him (regardless of whether he has trauma, that often does not justify why he should behave like that). Still, after that dark arc I just mentioned above, you really begin to see a small significant change in Hananoi (opening up more this time on its own terms).

In my opinion, I think Hananoi would "shine" (in many quotes) if the anime were an adaptation of 24 - 26 chapters. However, being only 12 greatly limits our ability to truly appreciate significant progress both in her actions and in her personality (the same goes for Hotaru, who in this adaptation feels like an extremely generic and empty girl).
@BlondieLottie You say he falls by being toxic, at this point I'd love for him to be hella toxic. I am not one of those people against red flags in media. Unfortunately for me so far he's just like a slightly obsessed dork. I want him to either fix his shit or go all in on his shit, because right now he's in a really boring middle ground. Like his jealousy was boring as hell to watch and was easily moved past just by her saying like one single sentence. I don't want to drop this because I am already 7 episodes in, but I am not seeing him as a walking red flag like everyone else. He's just in the middle right now and I need the author to hurry up and pick a side. If he gets insane then awesome, I hope that's like episode 8 because right now I just watch and leave every episode with no emotion further then "heh". This was my same issue with the childhood friend from Sign of Affection last season. He was meant to be possessive and overbearing but in the end didn't even have Yuki's phone number and basically was a complete worthless loser the entire series. It's worse now because it's the main guy. I would be way more into this if he was 100% toxic or showing growth(learning to like food is not emotional growth) right now the story is kind of doing nothing for me. So I hope you are correct and that the anime gets that far and can at least make me feel something about the guy.
May 17, 10:32 AM
Oct 2023
Reply to mohamed_ashraf
@RobertBobert
@mohamed_ashraf Nobody has a wrong perspective. What someone thinks of a story is what they think. The rating system exist to everyone for that reason. No low or high rating is correct, and people will rate things different from you. It's kind of goofy how much people are trying to be like "you only saw 7 episodes you gotta wait a bit longer!" That's not selling the show or instilling confidence like you think it is lol.
May 18, 2:29 AM

Dec 2016
Reply to isseixkoneko
Not saying you are right or wrong but give it more time 7/12 episodes in is absurd. Like, someone should probably know if they like the show by now. If it takes a show 8 or more out of 12 episodes to get good then that's a very hard sell.
@isseixkoneko that's true, we had an example not long ago of Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu, which started very slowly and very badly but already after the first few episodes you could see that the whole thing had changed, here we are talking about episode 7...
we are well past the halfway point of the show, unless there are twists and turns the rut will be this until the end.
May 23, 1:08 PM
Mar 2016
I drop this one after episode 5. It pointless for me to keep watching it anymore. The story suddenly turn flat and annoying.
May 23, 7:18 PM
Oct 2023
still waiting, just watched episode 8. Still the same sorta awkward clingy dude who isn't enough of any of his red flags to be interesting. Dude is like yellowish orange flags at most and the girl could be replaced with a cardboard cutout and be as interesting.
May 24, 4:34 PM

May 2022
I agree with this, the anime watchers are rightfully confused with Hananoi's actions. I've seen worse Shoujo love interests than Hananoi so I can say that Hananoi is flawed and has insecurities that he has to work on but he doesn't have bad intentions (he never crosses Hotaru's boundaries and he is always respectful and nice to her), and his actions have a backstory that is explained later on.
this is a story of a wholesome teen relationship that help each other grow and develop for the better and the toxic shoujo take needs a little more research because genuinely there are many shoujo stories where the love interests are straight-up disrespectful, rude, and entitled assholes that don't know basic human decency, and it is just not this. it is a story of growth and there are many insecure individuals like Hananoi that develop and grow in real life as well, so it's nice to see that in a cute shoujo story in my humble opinion.
May 28, 12:21 AM
Apr 2023
Hananoi, so far, is not a good character. He's just the typical hard outside, soft inside male lead. The only reason I'm still watching is because of the music, but I still hold out hope that you're right.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Yesterday

33 by teraphIl1000 »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 23

46 by m0e9i8 »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - May 16

42 by afiqahahahahahah »»
May 28, 9:45 PM

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 9

54 by cooldogmom »»
May 27, 5:49 PM

Poll: » Hananoi-kun to Koi no Yamai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 25

78 by Modavidori »»
May 19, 6:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.