New
Mar 10, 4:44 PM
Feb 2021
Second Anime Feature to win an Oscar since Spirited Away
https://x.com/popbase/status/1766972004790407281?s=46&t=nW7RNkmPmXuI90GgZFooZA
OvergrownRoverMar 12, 10:45 AM
Mar 10, 4:45 PM
Feb 2021
I know MAL has a hate boner for this film but I love that Miyazaki has two Oscars!
Mar 10, 4:57 PM
Oct 2019
To be honnest, yeah W.
Mar 10, 4:58 PM

Jan 2016
I'm shocked! It's wild how a 2d animated japanese film won over Spiderverse and a mediocre Pixar film. Even if you love or hate the film, you gotta admit, this is a great achievement for anime films.

"Get your tentacles off me or ill make calamari out of your manhood" -Mirai Nikki Dub
Mar 10, 5:15 PM

Nov 2015
Nobody thought this would win. I’m glad a anime finally got a Oscars win after Spirited Away.
And this wasn't even nominated at the Crunchyroll Awards.
HACKs! 🤢🤮
Mar 10, 5:24 PM

Jun 2021
Reply to Old_School_Akira
Nobody thought this would win. I’m glad a anime finally got a Oscars win after Spirited Away.
@Old_School_Akira i don't think it released in time to be eligible for crunchyroll
Mar 10, 5:30 PM
Feb 2021
Old_School_Akira said:

Didn’t qualify since it was released after the cut off point (US release)
Mar 10, 6:16 PM
Feb 2019
OvergrownRover said:
I know MAL has a hate boner for this film but I love that Miyazaki has two Oscars!

Fr what’s up with that? But yeah, even I liked Across the Spiderverse more but I still wanted this to win. Glad he won it!
Mar 10, 6:46 PM

Sep 2020
Great news. Glad this movie won the Oscar.
Mar 10, 7:09 PM
Aug 2023
Deserved it. A beautiful film it was.
Mar 10, 7:39 PM

Jul 2020
not sure how this piece of mid won it over across the spider-verse but wtv
Mar 10, 8:09 PM

Feb 2019
Miyazaki got another one? Not a Ghibli fan but the impact he’s had on the medium is immeasurable. He and Kurosawa are the best Japanese directors ever.

Wins like tonight reaffirm my belief that anime is currently in its golden age and is better than ever. People just can’t see it yet.
Mar 10, 11:04 PM

Jan 2009
congrats to the anime industry i guess
Mar 11, 12:56 AM
Jun 2019
ngl, I was hoping for Spiderverse to win, but this is a great achievement for Miyazaki and Studio Ghibli (and anime industry in general). Congrats
Mar 11, 1:13 AM
Jul 2020
Spiderverse deserved it more imo, but if The Boy And The Heron winning means more anime movies might get nominated in the future then its alright.
Mar 11, 2:44 AM
Mar 2020
this feels like a pity oscars for miyazaki
spider verse clears this movie man
Mar 11, 3:29 AM
ranked 54 in FAL
Mar 2018
Not that surprising considering his age and how the main competition was a sequel to a superhero movie (no matter how great it was), but congratulations nonetheless, this doesn’t singlehandedly fix how this category snubs anime historically speaking, but it’s still fairly satisfying.

Personally, Spider-Man was for sure deserving and I would have been happy for a Nimona steal, but this movie was pretty damn great as well and I love to see it as an anime fan.
Mar 11, 3:57 AM

Feb 2020
Congratulations! That's great news! :3

Mar 11, 5:19 AM
Sep 2021
Heron won because of who directed it and lack of competition. The only other film of note is Spiderverse and it's incredibly rare for a superhero movie to win an Oscar outside of music, visual effects and production categories like costuming or makeup.
Mar 11, 5:40 PM

May 2019
Funny how it called the attention of the Academy Awards in US, but for MAL tastes it is just a mid film.

And to me MAL is a better judge (after all, who cares about the Oscars in 2020's?)
Mar 12, 7:33 AM

Feb 2024
Second Anime film to win an Oscar since Spirited Away

That is wrong, this is the third anime film to win an Oscar. Tsumiki no Ie also won one, just because it's shıort does nıot mean it's not a film.
VanhibikiMar 12, 10:58 AM
Mar 12, 1:49 PM

Mar 2016
Vanhibiki said:

That is wrong, this is the third anime film to win an Oscar. Tsumiki no Ie also won one, just because it's shıort does nıot mean it's not a film.

tsumiki no ie won an Oscar in the "best animated short film" category, not in "best animated feature film" category. op is referring to the second category
Mar 12, 5:37 PM

Jan 2017
I’m so glad it won! Although I hope now the academy will also start to recognize more anime feature films that aren’t from Ghibli. They’ve only done that once (nominating Mirai in 2018) and passed over countless classics like Suzume this year. And who can forget nominating The Boss Baby over A Silent Voice and Your Name. It’s like academy voters will only pay attention to anime if it’s Ghibli.
Mar 12, 11:58 PM
Dec 2021
blinddig said:
this feels like a pity oscars for miyazaki
spider verse clears this movie man

It won Golden global also BAFTA
And spider man only won critic's choice btw
Mar 13, 7:24 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to CirceOwO
Vanhibiki said:

tsumiki no ie won an Oscar in the "best animated short film" category, not in "best animated feature film" category. op is referring to the second category
@CirceOwO

Except the OP didn't write "Second animated feature film to win an Oscar since Spirited Away" and only wrote "Second Anime film to win an Oscar since Spirited Away" which shows he didn't specifiy the film category unlike what you claim and therefore his meaning is ambigious. Moreover, it's completely possible he didn't know Tsumuki no Ie won an Oscar in the first place and actually thiks this is the second anime ever to win an Oscar, which is factually
wrong as I stated. There are actually a lot of people who don't know Tsumuki no Ie won an Oscar since it's a relatively unknown anime without any big names or studiıos attached to it.

Cope harder, my boy.
VanhibikiMar 13, 7:29 AM
Mar 13, 7:34 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to Vanhibiki
@CirceOwO

Except the OP didn't write "Second animated feature film to win an Oscar since Spirited Away" and only wrote "Second Anime film to win an Oscar since Spirited Away" which shows he didn't specifiy the film category unlike what you claim and therefore his meaning is ambigious. Moreover, it's completely possible he didn't know Tsumuki no Ie won an Oscar in the first place and actually thiks this is the second anime ever to win an Oscar, which is factually
wrong as I stated. There are actually a lot of people who don't know Tsumuki no Ie won an Oscar since it's a relatively unknown anime without any big names or studiıos attached to it.

Cope harder, my boy.
@Vanhibiki truly arguing to argue bruh
Mar 13, 1:05 PM
Feb 2016
Dude has won 2 Academy awards for making isekai movies. Shit doesn't make sense.
Mar 13, 9:37 PM
Feb 2021
Anime_God_King said:
Dude has won 2 Academy awards for making isekai movies. Shit doesn't make sense.

Best Isekais since Mario on the NES
Mar 16, 8:14 AM
Feb 2019
Almost a week late, but congrats to our lovely grumpy Miyazaki \ (•◡•) /

Been two decades since the last one, hopefully it won't take as much to see another win for the industry, and for other studios to get the spotlight, but we can be expectant about it with a bigger presence in the Annies every year and the Golden Globe nominations for Inu-Oh and Suzume (Yuasa and Shinkai baby).

Anime_God_King said:

Tron Legacy is an isekai; just saw a video essay about it and it popped up on my mind. That'd be nice, more isekai but set elsewhere than your average fantasy RPG.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kimitachi wa Dou Ikiru ka Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

__potato__ - Jul 14, 2023

73 by Mc_Sauce786 »»
May 29, 10:58 PM

» Releasing in India

Aryu1410 - Apr 26

4 by Ashwin_Kaushik »»
May 13, 9:21 AM

» North America Home Video Release in 4K/Blu-Ray

AddaeAkono - Apr 29

0 by AddaeAkono »»
Apr 29, 8:29 AM

» Opened to $74.1M 5-day weekend in China

OvergrownRover - Apr 7

6 by Mohamed_Salim »»
Apr 15, 5:24 AM

» Arriving on Netflix

Aryu1410 - Mar 23

5 by riksuave »»
Mar 26, 1:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.