Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 4, 2022 1:37 PM
Feb 2021
First, the ending is inconclusive and open for interpretation. They could have ended up romantically in the future. The very last page shows them sitting together and enjoying the firework. This in my opinion shows that they are more likely to be together.
I have seen several arguments for why they did not end up together.

1. One argument I saw some people use is that the author said the manga was not a romantic manga in an interview. That was toward the end of the series, maybe the author got some pressure from the editor or the publisher. However, any normal reader can feel some romantic tension between Satoko and Mashuu. The relationship between them may start like a mother/son or big sister/small brother type relationship. But after the first time jump, there are clear romantic feel developed. When you desperately feel you want to see the other person, be with the other person, talk to the other person, and share your stories with the other person, it is love.

2. The moral argument. I have seen people saying it is unethical to date a minor. Their relationship is wholesome. Very true, but a romantic relationship can be wholesome as well. During the entire series, the only physical contact they had is holding hands and hugging once. They did not violate any existing moral rule. Feeling attracted to another person is a natural human emotion. It is entirely possible that their relationship becomes physical after Mashuu gets older.

3. The age difference argument. I have seen a few times (not a lot), people saying it is not realistic for them to be a real couple because the age difference is too large. I personally find this argument despicable. We see in real life, men often marry girls 20-30 younger. How is it unrealistic when it is the other way around. I think this argument is the most flawed. My PhD advisor married his wife 13 years older than him. Now he is 50 and she is 63, they are still the happy couple.

Satoko and Mashuu may or may not have become a romantic couple in the future. I think the author wants the readers to imagine the best ending for them.
foxhunt99May 4, 2022 2:27 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Watashi no Shounen Chapter 43 Discussion

LastLuminescence - Nov 21, 2020

20 by euls »»
Jul 27, 4:01 PM

Poll: » Do you prefer Satoko and Mashuu to end up together romantically?

foxhunt99 - May 4, 2022

1 by Desireless »»
Oct 31, 2023 8:23 PM

» What do people think of this

JSeanaY - Oct 22, 2022

0 by JSeanaY »»
Oct 22, 2022 4:46 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Shounen Chapter 15 Discussion

Stark700 - May 18, 2018

4 by izlah »»
Apr 14, 2022 10:41 PM

Poll: » Watashi no Shounen Chapter 11 Discussion

luinthoron - Apr 22, 2018

2 by izlah »»
Apr 14, 2022 4:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.