Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 7, 2019 7:48 AM

Jan 2018
There seems to be an abnormal amount of 1s for this movie, a whopping 16%. Maybe it's just me being skeptical since I'm a huge fan of One Piece and I'm really excited for this movie to be as good as the last 3 movies or maybe a lot of people just didn't really like the movie. From the stats alone, Imo this film could be review-bombed.
Sep 7, 2019 1:33 PM

Nov 2012
Scodz said:
There seems to be an abnormal amount of 1s for this movie, a whopping 16%. Maybe it's just me being skeptical since I'm a huge fan of One Piece and I'm really excited for this movie to be as good as the last 3 movies or maybe a lot of people just didn't really like the movie. From the stats alone, Imo this film could be review-bombed.

Downvote accounts, this film is barely in theaters outside Japan, and reception has been all positive from people I know who seen the movie.

The manga also suddenly dropped 0.1 points when it has only being up recently.
Sep 15, 2019 11:51 PM
Mar 2013
I saw this movie in Japan with one of my friends a few days after it released, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The reason I think it would be review bombed is because if you're not already a die-hard One Piece fan, this movie has next to nothing for you.
Despite my fairly limited Japanese ability, I was able to comprehend the entire plot and the vast majority of the dialogue, (maybe to an extent of about 90% or so). I think the reason for that would most likely be that this movie barely has any substance. When the movie starts we're introduced to the island and then the "event" starts.
Shortly after the battle begins and the movie devolves into "oh hey look it's [insert one piece character here]" that character does an attack or something and then we get another character show up and the same thing happens all the way till the end of the movie.
I kept expecting some hint of story to be mentioned but it never really happened, aside from a few short moments.
The villain is forgettable and leaves no real lasting impression, writing this review I was struggling to even remember his name, despite being able to remember the Z and Gold villains easily, despite having seen them a longer time ago.

This isn't to say that the movie is bad, if you're a die-hard One Piece fan you will find enjoyment in this movie. The battle is enjoyable, the animation is good and the soundtrack just adds to the excitement.
But I think the lack of a decent story (or any at all for that matter), and over-reliance on fan service really brings the movie down.

I think the people giving 9s and 10s are the ones overly bombing the reviews because the movie certainly isn't good enough for those scores when you consider all the pieces of it.
For me I think the movie would sit at a 5 or 6. It's better than average and I enjoyed watching it, but I would be in no great hurry to run out and watch it again. And if you're eagerly awaiting the western release, and expecting anything more than fan service I recommend you lower your expectations to get more out of seeing this movie.

TL;DR The movie is severely held-back by it's lack of narrative, over-reliance on fan service and rushed pacing. Lower your expectations before watching to get the most enjoyment from this film.
Sep 16, 2019 6:44 AM

Nov 2012
Attlas said:
I saw this movie in Japan with one of my friends a few days after it released, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

The reason I think it would be review bombed is because if you're not already a die-hard One Piece fan, this movie has next to nothing for you.
Despite my fairly limited Japanese ability, I was able to comprehend the entire plot and the vast majority of the dialogue, (maybe to an extent of about 90% or so). I think the reason for that would most likely be that this movie barely has any substance. When the movie starts we're introduced to the island and then the "event" starts.
Shortly after the battle begins and the movie devolves into "oh hey look it's [insert one piece character here]" that character does an attack or something and then we get another character show up and the same thing happens all the way till the end of the movie.
I kept expecting some hint of story to be mentioned but it never really happened, aside from a few short moments.
The villain is forgettable and leaves no real lasting impression, writing this review I was struggling to even remember his name, despite being able to remember the Z and Gold villains easily, despite having seen them a longer time ago.

This isn't to say that the movie is bad, if you're a die-hard One Piece fan you will find enjoyment in this movie. The battle is enjoyable, the animation is good and the soundtrack just adds to the excitement.
But I think the lack of a decent story (or any at all for that matter), and over-reliance on fan service really brings the movie down.

I think the people giving 9s and 10s are the ones overly bombing the reviews because the movie certainly isn't good enough for those scores when you consider all the pieces of it.
For me I think the movie would sit at a 5 or 6. It's better than average and I enjoyed watching it, but I would be in no great hurry to run out and watch it again. And if you're eagerly awaiting the western release, and expecting anything more than fan service I recommend you lower your expectations to get more out of seeing this movie.

TL;DR The movie is severely held-back by it's lack of narrative, over-reliance on fan service and rushed pacing. Lower your expectations before watching to get the most enjoyment from this film.

This movie is like a love letter to hardcore OP fans who have followed OP for years but never got wish fulfillment for certain scenarios in the canon, the fanservice IS the point. The movie doesn't set it up to be more than that, it's like criticizing Redline for its story when the point is to be an animation fest.

I'm not saying you can't have another opinion on the movie, I'm saying the movie is for a certain audience and only that audience will appreciate it as what it is.
Sep 23, 2019 7:35 PM

Apr 2012
SwordRed said:
Attlas said:

This movie is like a love letter to hardcore OP fans who have followed OP for years but never got wish fulfillment for certain scenarios in the canon, the fanservice IS the point. The movie doesn't set it up to be more than that, it's like criticizing Redline for its story when the point is to be an animation fest.

I'm not saying you can't have another opinion on the movie, I'm saying the movie is for a certain audience and only that audience will appreciate it as what it is.

Yup it's a typical fanservice movie like all previous movies. Just don't expect too much for a non-canon movie that comes from a long running manga / anime.
にゃす!
Sep 24, 2019 4:21 PM
Jan 2017
Attlas said:

Imagine going to see the new film for the most popular shounen anime still being aired and expecting deep narrative story telling big oof
NitroGTXSep 24, 2019 7:15 PM
Sep 25, 2019 3:22 AM

Oct 2011
NitroGTX said:

Imagine going to see the new film for the most popular shounen anime still being aired and expecting deep narrative story telling big oof

Previous movies had own stories to them, they not only introduced a new island, they had an enjoyable plot going on which slowly builds up to the final fight.

Stampede had a great premise too, the pirate festival was a really cool idea but after the initial introduction and a cool "behind the scenes undercover plot", everything is thrown aside when the fight starts. It's way too early in the movie, the opponent is literally too strong and they use way too much fanservice (not in the ecchi way but in terms of characters or scenes that were popular in the manga/anime).
Sep 25, 2019 10:24 AM
Jan 2017
RiukixD said:
NitroGTX said:

Previous movies had own stories to them, they not only introduced a new island, they had an enjoyable plot going on which slowly builds up to the final fight.

Stampede had a great premise too, the pirate festival was a really cool idea but after the initial introduction and a cool "behind the scenes undercover plot", everything is thrown aside when the fight starts. It's way too early in the movie, the opponent is literally too strong and they use way too much fanservice (not in the ecchi way but in terms of characters or scenes that were popular in the manga/anime).

So the previous 2 had good stories and now they did something slightly different and leaned more towards action and fan service. Doing the same thing over and over again gets boring. The opponent being too strong is finally something different. So you just wanted another carbon copy of Z or gold?
Sep 25, 2019 11:28 AM
Apr 2016
exactly, they focused a lot on the story the last THREE movies, now in this movie it's more action than story. I dont see the problem with this.
Sep 25, 2019 2:41 PM

Oct 2011
NitroGTX said:
RiukixD said:

So the previous 2 had good stories and now they did something slightly different and leaned more towards action and fan service. Doing the same thing over and over again gets boring. The opponent being too strong is finally something different. So you just wanted another carbon copy of Z or gold?

I don't want a carbon copy of Z or gold but something as enjoyable as those two. While the movie as a whole was good, the fight itself was pretty boring. I wouldn't mind a more action focused movie but not in the way of Stampede.

I don't see how an opponent being too strong (the way he is protrayed basically implies he is on Yonkou level or above) can be a good thing since it basically means the way to beat him is bullshit. The opponent basically wiped out the whole cast of the worst generation without even trying and didn't give a shit about the Marines + Luffy fought without any brains at all as he jumped straight at him at least 3 or 4 times with the same move without any sense at all. I know Luffy often doesn't act smart but especially during fights, he does use his brains. The closure to the fight looked more like something from Fairy Tail where the guy who shouts more and louder wins.

The movie lives from the fanservice but for me, a high budget One Piece movie with such a long production phase needs to be better than that.
Sep 25, 2019 3:18 PM
Jan 2017
RiukixD said:
NitroGTX said:

I don't want a carbon copy of Z or gold but something as enjoyable as those two. While the movie as a whole was good, the fight itself was pretty boring. I wouldn't mind a more action focused movie but not in the way of Stampede.

I don't see how an opponent being too strong (the way he is protrayed basically implies he is on Yonkou level or above) can be a good thing since it basically means the way to beat him is bullshit. The opponent basically wiped out the whole cast of the worst generation without even trying and didn't give a shit about the Marines + Luffy fought without any brains at all as he jumped straight at him at least 3 or 4 times with the same move without any sense at all. I know Luffy often doesn't act smart but especially during fights, he does use his brains. The closure to the fight looked more like something from Fairy Tail where the guy who shouts more and louder wins.

The movie lives from the fanservice but for me, a high budget One Piece movie with such a long production phase needs to be better than that.

Agree to disagree at this point. <3
Sep 28, 2019 9:19 PM

Jan 2018
Just watched the movie recently and I loved it, I'm sure most people who actually watched this movie are One Piece fans who'll love it as well (at least they won't give this movie a one). Just makes me more mad that people are actually wasting their time downvoting series/movies they haven't watched just for the sake of keeping their favorite series' on top of the board since I know other than One Piece Stampede, recent movies like the Violet Evergarden Gaiden movie and Weathering With You is getting downvoted as well.
Oct 3, 2019 10:15 AM

Oct 2011
NitroGTX said:
Agree to disagree at this point. <3

That's fair. Not everyone has to like the same things.
Nov 4, 2019 7:26 PM
Jan 2014
Appears to be typical OP cash grab film focused on style over substance. I can see how some people wouldn't mind that but personally, it's disappointing and tiresome.
Nov 5, 2019 12:38 AM
May 2015
Scodz said:

People are probably just giving it a bad score because it isn't a very good movie. Personally I would give it like a 13/30, but I find that pretty generous and can definitely see some people really hating this.
Dec 26, 2019 9:23 PM

Dec 2018
its a bot, almost all of thes 1's are bot accounts made to keep the score down at bay. but he seemes to be rather inactive so its fine for now i guess

More topics from this board

» This movie was weak

scabab - Apr 23, 2020

15 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 10, 9:40 PM

Poll: » One Piece Movie 14: Stampede Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

BenRyan - Sep 21, 2019

75 by PrimeX »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:09 AM

» Streaming now on HBO Max

JohanJ04 - Mar 21, 2022

0 by JohanJ04 »»
Mar 21, 2022 6:28 PM

» How was the Movie?

Ammerx - Aug 10, 2019

19 by mangalicker94 »»
Sep 6, 2020 5:46 AM

» Will this film be CGI?

shizaman - Apr 11, 2019

2 by mangalicker94 »»
Apr 4, 2020 3:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.