Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 12, 2018 4:29 AM

Dec 2015
Hi all, I'm new here

This isn't necessarily related to anime, but I would like to hear more perspectives on the matter.

I'm quite new to progressive thinking because I was put off by the overly sensitive, extreme feminists that are exposed all around the internet. It's much easier for men my age and younger to be influenced by ironic far right memes like Trump, Ben Shapiro and Nazi references, and laugh at crazy feminists ranting about video games or offensive jokes.
Before I knew it, I was engaging in misogynistic, racist groups and discussion, and even supporting some of it. It almost seemed natural to oppose feminism, even though I hadn't given it a chance.

It took some patience to eventually support feminism and progressive thinking, and I've recently started to wonder why it was so difficult for me to get interested in it in the first place. Does feminism need to be more fashionable for more people to give it a chance? If so, how?
I think this issue is most pressing for young adults who are beginning to form a political opinion. Of course I'm not suggesting that everyone becomes a feminist, but I feel too many people dismiss it without giving it a chance. Example: myanimelist forums
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 25, 2019 2:20 AM
May 2016
takara6 said:
Hi all, I'm new here

This isn't necessarily related to anime, but I would like to hear more perspectives on the matter.

I'm quite new to progressive thinking because I was put off by the overly sensitive, extreme feminists that are exposed all around the internet. It's much easier for men my age and younger to be influenced by ironic far right memes like Trump, Ben Shapiro and Nazi references, and laugh at crazy feminists ranting about video games or offensive jokes.
Before I knew it, I was engaging in misogynistic, racist groups and discussion, and even supporting some of it. It almost seemed natural to oppose feminism, even though I hadn't given it a chance.

It took some patience to eventually support feminism and progressive thinking, and I've recently started to wonder why it was so difficult for me to get interested in it in the first place. Does feminism need to be more fashionable for more people to give it a chance? If so, how?
I think this issue is most pressing for young adults who are beginning to form a political opinion. Of course I'm not suggesting that everyone becomes a feminist, but I feel too many people dismiss it without giving it a chance. Example: myanimelist forums

The problem with people saying “media/art affects the way we think and act/ behave

There no evidence to back up the claim
Feb 25, 2019 8:26 AM

Dec 2015
Nerdanimefan1992 said:

I'm inclined to agree with you when it comes to consuming fiction based media, like video games, movies or anime. However, I believe that we can be influenced by informative media like the news or politically charged YouTube videos.

If we weren't influenced by these things, then news stations wouldn't be politically biased; they know that contextualising facts in a political agenda can influence the consumers. Look at the agenda of each newspaper in upcoming elections if you want an example.

My initial point was that it's easy to fall down the right wing rabbit hole without noticing, because it's difficult to understand the political stance some of these conservative influencers if you don't have one yourself.
Aug 14, 2019 2:29 AM
May 2016
takara6 said:
Nerdanimefan1992 said:

I'm inclined to agree with you when it comes to consuming fiction based media, like video games, movies or anime. However, I believe that we can be influenced by informative media like the news or politically charged YouTube videos.

If we weren't influenced by these things, then news stations wouldn't be politically biased; they know that contextualising facts in a political agenda can influence the consumers. Look at the agenda of each newspaper in upcoming elections if you want an example.

My initial point was that it's easy to fall down the right wing rabbit hole without noticing, because it's difficult to understand the political stance some of these conservative influencers if you don't have one yourself.

If that was true I’d like to see evidence of this debunked theory
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Abolitionism in anime/animated movies? Magical Girl Anime=copaganda?

Gaia_Riot - Dec 15, 2021

0 by Gaia_Riot »»
Dec 15, 2021 12:31 PM

» Why does everyone call me a cuck when I say Im a male feminist?

removed-user - Sep 11, 2018

5 by InkSpider »»
Mar 20, 2019 5:18 PM

» Anime and Rape Culture

InkSpider - Oct 21, 2018

27 by InkSpider »»
Mar 20, 2019 11:40 AM

» A Much-Needed Update~

CherryLover - Aug 30, 2018

5 by Nerdanimefan1992 »»
Mar 16, 2019 9:12 AM

» mmmph, Pssssah

HavenofHentai - Feb 27, 2019

0 by HavenofHentai »»
Feb 27, 2019 6:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.