Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Which Drawing Style Do You Prefer?
May 12, 2018 1:25 AM
Mar 2017
As stated in the title, which drawing style do you prefer out of the 2 seasons? I haven't read the novel, so it may be just me, but I do miss the way this series started out. The characters seemed so fresh, had their own personality, and it it really shone with the drawing style from the 1st studio. It was dazzling and that's what I missed when all the characters I fell in love with were changed during the transition to the new studio. May just be me, but let me hear your thoughts on this!

P.S. I know I'll always miss seeing Ye Xiu's smug face back when he was winning the matches against Xiao Tang back when she was introduced xD
May 12, 2018 2:17 AM
Mar 2017
I agree most of the male characters do need some work, they all look very similar apart from hair color and clothing. While I did enjoy the style of Season 1, the fighting was way better in this last episode and I really liked the animations and graphical style. I hope in the next season the characters become a bit more unique and the animation will become even better, but so far I really liked the progress.
May 12, 2018 6:17 AM
Oct 2012
Obviously the OVA for me. I agree that the characters looked way too similiar to each others, but quality wise it is much higher and the art looks much more closer towards the other adaptation of the webnovel, which is the manhua.

The last fight especially, it really depicts how a battle mage fights on the source material of this webnovel (Dungeon Fighter Online).
May 12, 2018 6:48 AM
Jun 2014
Tough question, both of the "seasons" had something interesting. I would say the first season artstyle is harder to animate, hence why we see so many recycled animation or the use of CGI. Even though it was a nice "änime" to watch for a weekly serie. The recycled animations or over-use of CGI did bother me.

With the new artstyle, the animation would be a bit easier, aka the fighting scenes will have less recyclled animations because they have more time to animate the scenes. This is also the reason why the crowd isn't CGI in this "season".

To give an answer which directly answers your questions:
I think the first season has a better artstyle for the males, since there are a lot of males in this series with "similiar" hairstyles, aka you can differentiate them a bit easier with the original "anime" artstyle.

The second season however has a more charming design for the ladies IMO.

However, if I consider everything. I would pick the second season, because the animation would be "better", since the quality of the animation is similiar to the first season, while barely having recycled animations(which the first season was abusing). Also less CGI use, which makes the world more "believable".
May 12, 2018 6:58 AM
May 2018
I much preferred the quality and realistic personalitys/expressions of the first season. I was very much looking forward to season 2 but am highly dissapointed.

The faces are pointed and inhuman. The expressions are bland and limited and tgey heavy obsessive use of CGI, much more then the tastefully done first season means ill put this series aside in the ruibed pile and go back tp reading the web series only.

RIP The Kings Avatar.
No idea why they changed art companies but in my opinion a def mistake
May 12, 2018 7:36 AM

May 2015
The first season by faaar, their faces had so much personality and the studio did a great job of capturing emotion. Especially Yie Qiu's subtle displays of it. Now it's just looks copied pasted and super generic. I mean look what they did to Zhou Zekai's face!

I do like some of the new hair styles on some of the characters though, like Tang Rou and Gao Yingjie.
I'm still holding out hope that the same team from S1 will be animating TKA 2019.
CtrlZEDMay 15, 2018 12:54 AM
May 12, 2018 9:14 AM

Mar 2014
I liked the art style of the first season more. Character designs looked nicer and the expressions were a bit more evident. However, Season 2 did a much better job at the animations and the battles were a lot more exhilarating to watch.
May 12, 2018 9:59 AM
Jun 2014
Rippititus said:
I much preferred the quality and realistic personalitys/expressions of the first season. I was very much looking forward to season 2 but am highly dissapointed.

The faces are pointed and inhuman. The expressions are bland and limited and tgey heavy obsessive use of CGI, much more then the tastefully done first season means ill put this series aside in the ruibed pile and go back tp reading the web series only.

RIP The Kings Avatar.
No idea why they changed art companies but in my opinion a def mistake

Welp, it's sad for you to have such an issue with the studio to the point of dropping it. But hey, 1 person less who's not giving the studios profits is luckily irrelevant to their eyes.
May 12, 2018 10:08 AM
Jun 2014
CtrlZED said:
The first season by faaar, their faces had so much personality and the studio did a great job of capturing emotion. Especially Yie Qiu's subtle displays of it. Now it's just looks copied pasted and super generic. I mean look what they did to Zhou Zekai's face!

I do like some of the new hair styles on some of the characters though, like Tang Rou and Gao Yingjie.
I'm still holding out hope that the same team from S1 will be animating TKA 2019.

Yh, they look both totally different. But it's hard to show personality on a character who's really shy in real life. Unless you want Zhou Zekai to be portrayed as a character who's afraid when getting confronted.
May 12, 2018 10:55 AM

Nov 2009
I want the old style back... it had more uniqueness and less generic shoujo stuff...
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
May 12, 2018 5:21 PM

Sep 2016
The new studio did excellent job on this OVA specials. Animation was pretty good with little to none recycled stuff and im starting to like the new designs for example Tang and Gao, they look much better. I hope they stay and animate S2
The Anime Binge Is Life

-PolarCyrus97 2k17-
May 13, 2018 3:49 AM
Nov 2010
Graphics are better in 1st season, but the direction, animation and fluidity are a lot better in the OVA, and I like this new style better too. It feels more exciting. Definitely looking forward to the new season with this new style!
May 14, 2018 12:15 AM
Mar 2017
TKMike said:

Now this means war! Lol I rather prefer Su Mucheng and Xiao Tang's S1 design.

While I do agree the usage of the same cgi and animations does feel repetitive, it gives you insight and remind you that it is a MMORPG they are playing. I felt like this was almost deliberate at certain points/intervals of the series and that was a major selling point to the audience who've played those types of games, such as WoW or BDO. Though I do see a point that the animation does seem more fluid in the new season compared to the 1st, but I feel that they could have kept the character designs while updating the animation in order to keep things a little more consistent. Still like the series though :) Cant wait for the next season
May 14, 2018 8:51 AM
Jun 2014
Aznchronos said:
TKMike said:

Now this means war! Lol I rather prefer Su Mucheng and Xiao Tang's S1 design.

While I do agree the usage of the same cgi and animations does feel repetitive, it gives you insight and remind you that it is a MMORPG they are playing. I felt like this was almost deliberate at certain points/intervals of the series and that was a major selling point to the audience who've played those types of games, such as WoW or BDO. Though I do see a point that the animation does seem more fluid in the new season compared to the 1st, but I feel that they could have kept the character designs while updating the animation in order to keep things a little more consistent. Still like the series though :) Cant wait for the next season

Well in the end, it depends on preferences :P

I especially prefer Xiao Tang's hair in this season, it looks fluffy wavy, while season 1 was a bit stiff, yet it felt as if they tried to give Xiao Tang "fluffy wavy" hair.
But I must admit, I do prefer season 1 Xiao Tang's Glory character design over S2.

About the recycled animation, I do see your point. But later on the first season, we see sometimes different animations for the umbrella changing into a different weapon type, so this kinda debunk that claim. But that's my opinion ofcourse.
May 14, 2018 1:43 PM
Mar 2017
TKMike said:

I especially prefer Xiao Tang's hair in this season, it looks fluffy wavy, while season 1 was a bit stiff, yet it felt as if they tried to give Xiao Tang "fluffy wavy" hair.
But I must admit, I do prefer season 1 Xiao Tang's Glory character design over S2.

About the recycled animation, I do see your point. But later on the first season, we see sometimes different animations for the umbrella changing into a different weapon type, so this kinda debunk that claim. But that's my opinion ofcourse.

I'm assuming that each weapon type would show their own weapon transformation. Also, yes. Xiao Tang deserves her short hair :)
May 14, 2018 4:17 PM
Feb 2013
I much prefer the character designs in the first season. I think the season 1 designs of all the characters struck the perfect balance between detailed and stylized, while the OVA's character designs look glossy/plastic/artificial.

I feel like the current studio (the one that did the OVA) specializes in making cute/moe faces, especially girls. This means Su Mucheng / Tang Rou look great. However, with every episode that passes, all the guys' faces grow progressively more similar to the "generic bishonen face." In the OVAs, Ye Xiu's face looks similar to Yu Wenzhou's, while Wang Jiexi has the same face as Zhou Zekai. I joke with my friends that if this current studio does Season 2, eventually all the guys will have the same face.

I appreciate the fluid animations in the OVA. However, there are definitely quite a few flaws. There are a lot of still frames (look at the Du Ming vs. Tang Rou fight), as well as looped animations that go on too long (ex: the Chen Guo firing her gun in the High Jump competition of OVA 2, the "Vanishing Step" that Ye Xiu did against Du Ming, etc.). Also, some of the choices in cinematography/pacing are strange, the most obvious one being the very rushed ending to OVA 3.

Personally, even the frequent use of CG in the first season doesn't bother me a ton, especially when it's mostly limited to backgrounds: the environment of the internet cafe, the cliffs in game, etc. The repeated animations in Season 1 I can also attribute to the game of Glory having set animations for the same skill.

IMO no fight scene in these OVAs has matched up to the awesome choreography and animation between Han Wenqing and Ye Xiu at the end of Season 1 Episode 12.
May 15, 2018 12:48 AM

May 2015
TKMike said:
CtrlZED said:

Yh, they look both totally different. But it's hard to show personality on a character who's really shy in real life. Unless you want Zhou Zekai to be portrayed as a character who's afraid when getting confronted.

Hmm, maybe that wasn't the best example. I think the change in Wang Jiexi made me do a double take the most.
It's "Big-Eyed Wang" not "Wearing Eyeliner on One Eye Wang". o.O
CtrlZEDMay 15, 2018 12:54 AM
May 15, 2018 7:55 AM
May 2016
I like both actually.
what i find bad from this ona is the sound quality tbh.

The sfx for most parts are teribble. It just not as hype as the animation.
And the voice acting is worse from the previous season.
Dont get me wrong, it's not about its chinese or anything. I dont have problem with last season.
May 15, 2018 8:05 AM
Jun 2014
Aznchronos said:
TKMike said:

I'm assuming that each weapon type would show their own weapon transformation. Also, yes. Xiao Tang deserves her short hair :)

The thing is, the weapon transformation sequence is not always the same. As an example, the Umbrella to gun sequence are different in some episodes.

Xiao Tang's avatar hair in GLORY is not short though. I think you misunderstood my comment.
May 15, 2018 8:12 AM
Jun 2014
CtrlZED said:
TKMike said:

Hmm, maybe that wasn't the best example. I think the change in Wang Jiexi made me do a double take the most.

Wang Jiexi's eyes in the first season was not always obvious tbh. If you go to the first season myanimelist, you would notice people mentioning this as well. Personally I see no real problem with the second season Wang Jiexi. One of his eye is still smaller.

Also just to address something.

If one is laughing/smiling, do you laugh/smile with your eyes wide open or does your eyes become smaller? If the answer is the latter:
Is Wang Jiexi smiling in your example?
TKMikeMay 15, 2018 8:20 AM
May 15, 2018 8:16 AM
Jun 2014
catefr said:
I like both actually.
what i find bad from this ona is the sound quality tbh.

The sfx for most parts are teribble. It just not as hype as the animation.
And the voice acting is worse from the previous season.
Dont get me wrong, it's not about its chinese or anything. I dont have problem with last season.

SFX I kinda agree. It's lackluster. I would also say the OST used is less interesting.

However I disagree with the voice acting. The voice acting is very well done, especially of the VA of Xiang Sun. Second OVA episode had by far one of the best voice acting of this series.

EDIT:
I totally forgot the moment when Chen Guo realised it was Ye Qui and was afraid Ye Qui wouldn't return after his "reveal". That was impressive Voice Acting as well.
TKMikeMay 15, 2018 8:37 AM
May 15, 2018 9:24 AM
Mar 2017
TKMike said:
Aznchronos said:

The thing is, the weapon transformation sequence is not always the same. As an example, the Umbrella to gun sequence are different in some episodes.

Xiao Tang's avatar hair in GLORY is not short though. I think you misunderstood my comment.

I consider shoulder-length short lol and which episodes would you be referring to if you don't mind me asking? I don't think i noticed
May 15, 2018 10:39 AM
Jun 2014
Aznchronos said:
TKMike said:

I consider shoulder-length short lol and which episodes would you be referring to if you don't mind me asking? I don't think i noticed

Her hair extends behind that
May 15, 2018 12:59 PM
Mar 2017
TKMike said:
Aznchronos said:

Her hair extends behind that

Only decent image of the back of her head, but as you can see, her hair only goes as far as her shoulders.
May 15, 2018 9:50 PM

May 2015
TKMike said:
CtrlZED said:

Wang Jiexi's eyes in the first season was not always obvious tbh. If you go to the first season myanimelist, you would notice people mentioning this as well. Personally I see no real problem with the second season Wang Jiexi. One of his eye is still smaller.

Also just to address something.

If one is laughing/smiling, do you laugh/smile with your eyes wide open or does your eyes become smaller? If the answer is the latter:
Is Wang Jiexi smiling in your example?

I would say his expression is pretty neutral. The picture of him from S1 the eye size is quite clear from the perspective, I can even see it's shaped a little differently. The right smaller eye is straight along the top while the left is rounded. I don't know I found it more obvious during S1.
May 21, 2018 11:06 PM

Apr 2012
To me season 1 has a serious case of same face syndrome
Like-- design wise i do feel season 1 is more interesting but the faces (minus hair and clothing, you know what I mean) are too similar imo
The proportions in season 2 is more natural and the faces look less stiff too
@inuvivo on twitter!
May 23, 2018 1:42 AM

Dec 2013
S1 had better artstyle
s2 had better fights and animation. I LOVED episode 3 of the ova.
Dec 31, 2018 3:44 PM

Jan 2013
The OVA character designs are...bad. They are so run-of-the-mill and forgettable. Why did this change happen?!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou (2018) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Lambdaa- - Apr 27, 2018

64 by EinTheVariance »»
Apr 23, 2023 6:55 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou (2018) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Daango_ - May 11, 2018

74 by Slimsith »»
Nov 14, 2022 9:17 PM

Poll: » Quanzhi Gaoshou (2018) Episode 2 Discussion

Fallen_Leaves - May 4, 2018

41 by SideCharacterKal »»
May 18, 2021 12:21 PM

» How far has the series come in the light novel so far?

Surpuppa - May 6, 2018

3 by frankykun13 »»
Aug 9, 2018 3:07 AM

» Anyone here know where can I find those beautiful images near the end of the credits of EP:3?

RedSon14 - May 13, 2018

3 by Fiearen »»
May 13, 2018 7:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.