Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 26, 2015 9:39 AM
Apr 2013
It's difficult to understand if you don't have the eyes to see it.

I'll start off by mentioning I am now currently running through the Gundam series start to finish. Stop by my list if you're interested in the order. I was always a general fan of Gundam growing up. So far I've finished Mobile Suit Gundam, Zeta, Double Zeta, Chars Counter Attack, 08th MS and am currently on IGLOO, oh and Build Fighters 1 & 2 which is was what rekindled this flame. These are all amazing. (In the past I watched some Wing, G, and 00 but never fully)

As soon as they introduced the idea of Newtypes and the fact that humans are pulled down by earths gravity, not just physically but emotionally, spiritually and intellectually I knew that Gundam was trying to say something because I'm already aware of that something through real life experience and knowledge. The facts alone that war is pointless and machines made so beautifully meant for building, creating, and progress, (Also our own bodies and souls) ended up being used for abuse, greed, destruction and chaos, first blood being drawn by Degwin Zabi might I add who was from space even though it's claim was for independence (Which side 3 already had), the way to go about it wasn't just either way. Meaning even once off earth people were still pulled down emotionally by earthly ideals, bringing this even deeper. Many many more universal truths being made as well in the series even if not intended to be. These are axioms, not just my subjective thoughts or feelings.

I don't want to actually go into that here since artists, philosophers, scientists, spiritualists and the common man have all been tearing each other apart and chasing tails for thousands of years over this stuff, all trying to figure out the same things, but I thought I would make this post to see if anyone else understands or cares about the beautiful messages that rest within Gundam. I don't see it getting discussed at all here. Not to say that Gundam is the only series or idea that has anything powerful within it, there are a few others, but to me it does a beautiful job.

Gundam creator, or Gundam influence rather, Yoshiyuki Tomino has openly admitted that he is trying to give that something to future generations by creating Gundam for the younger generations to come because he has already given up hope on our generation and older. Seeing the state of our planet and people I can't blame him because look at what we are doing to ourselves and the earth. The man has a pure heart and intentions from what I see. Which is why many of the adult fans are complaining saying "This new Gundam sucks ect ect ect". Well for one people usually don't like that which they can't understand, and two it's target is children to give hope for kids in future generations who are hopefully going to wake up to the stupidity and ignorance of our people.

Have a good one thanks for reading.

*edit
I thought I would mention I do not think Yoshiyuki Tomino and the people behind Gundam are some mad geniuses with hidden deep symbolism and such in these stories. Quite the opposite the man is very straight forward about what he feels and is getting across and is extremely obvious/simple about it. Maybe he doesn't even understand the depth of his own stories, I wouldn't know since I've never met him. But this just baffles me even more on that this sort of thing in Gundam doesn't get discussed more often.

*edit 2
I am just now learning more about Yoshiyuki as I write this and it turns out the man didn't even want anything to do with Mecha Anime and Gundam sequels in the first place which sure explains a heck of a lot. As well as his many disapprovals within the company and industry alone which make sense. Although him working with the cards he's been dealt has created something pretty brilliant since he accepted it and now uses these tools to get his point across.
geppeJul 26, 2015 12:43 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jul 28, 2015 1:46 PM

Dec 2014

noabotdyo said:
As soon as they introduced the idea of Newtypes and the fact that humans are pulled down by earths gravity, not just physically but emotionally, spiritually and intellectually I knew that Gundam was trying to say something because I'm already aware of that something through real life experience and knowledge. [...] Well for one people usually don't like that which they can't understand, and two it's target is children to give hope for kids in future generations who are hopefully going to wake up to the stupidity and ignorance of our people.

Everything is spot on here mate, congrats !

This is why I also love Gundam as a whole, and will always do. I have the utmost respect for Tomino, the "Hajime Yatate" crew and everyone who has or is currently working within Sunrise.

The believable science and technology behind it all (Minovisky particles, Lagrange points in space etc)

good characters developments and animation quality (most of the time)

catchy opening / ending songs, good background music and sound design (again, most of the time)

the ability to evolve and constantly reinvent itself while keeping the same good roots (each Alternate Universes).

Don't forget the multiple good videogames derivated from it (!)

Are all reasons why it always deliver such great entertainment (and as you said though-provoking statements and commentaries on human nature / society).

On a sidenote : if you also have interest in modelling (like I do), it gets event better !
It really ties people together through the whole gunpla thing : competitons, and it really encourage the use / making of custom kits and thus creativity and exchange towards enthusiasts. Plus Katsumi "Meijin" Kawaguchi who has to be one of the nicest guy ever!

That pretty much wraps up the whole thing (at least for me) ^^
I'd also love to see other people and members of this club take on all this, and what they specifically love about this franchise.
GOAscendJul 28, 2015 1:51 PM
Jul 30, 2015 10:27 PM
Jun 2015
Love your statement. Speaking of misuse, have you checked out Turn A Gundam or The Wind Rises? Turn A Gundam is one of the more idealistic series as it depicts mobile suits doing more than just killing people as the titular Gundam can work as a power supply, bridge, and even washing machine. Ditto Miyazaki's The Wind Rises, which features an inventor's dream plane become repurposed as a tool of death vis-a-vis mobile suits.

Gundam is truly one of the most meaningful anime franchises in the world. If anything, each series' themes and values are still relevant now as they were years ago. The evil Titans of Gundam Zeta can represent the dangers of giving unchecked power to morally shady paramilitary organizations operating outside of military jurisdiction. This same enemy archetype can still be seen today in the form of dubious PMCs and security forces. Likewise Treize's warnings of dehumanizing warfare with unmanned mobile dolls has become all the more relevant given the recent debates over military drones. These themes were as meaningful then as they are now.

Hope you can offer more posts. Loving this one so far. ;)
Jan 24, 2020 12:41 AM
Jan 2020
I love this topic. Just started noticing that the gundam storyline repeats in ways in metaphors and directly and then thinking this might have some seriously amazing insights about life to be considered
Jul 25, 2021 7:34 AM
Jul 2021
You're right. I like to believe that Gundam has more to it than we or anyone even thinks. Too bad the corpos milk everything they can from it by adding a ton of mobile suits to sell models.
๐˜๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ฑ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ด ๐˜ฅ๐˜ฐ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด๐˜ฏ'๐˜ต ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฌ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ, ๐˜ฃ๐˜ฆ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ถ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜'๐˜ฎ ๐˜ธ๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜ฌ๐˜ช๐˜ฏ๐˜จ ๐˜ต๐˜ฐ ๐˜ช๐˜ต.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Gunpla thread

Baman - Sep 12, 2011

8 by jm0nk3y77 »»
Apr 29, 2023 8:03 PM

» Which character do you hate the most??

anuses - Sep 26, 2014

30 by Ushiwa915 »»
Aug 24, 2022 6:42 AM

» Favorite Gundam Males

hartschaotica - Dec 30, 2010

13 by LeonhartAugust »»
Jul 23, 2021 12:59 PM

» Best Gundam Couples ( 1 2 )

Darkerangel - Nov 13, 2010

58 by Darkerangel »»
Jan 2, 2021 7:18 PM

» What have you seen?

Sushikins - Feb 13, 2009

28 by cactus_rex »»
Feb 13, 2019 7:51 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.