Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you like strategy video games?
Feb 15, 2014 5:02 PM

Sep 2012
So I get kind of annoyed each time I check on GOG or steam and see an RTS or other strategy game on sale. A group of game developers even left Bioware so they could produce their own strategy title that came out recently: Banner Saga. From my experience RTS has too much game-play and too little story content to propel the game-play. Are the strategy games on sale so often because they won't sell otherwise or are a lot of people really willing to bite on these games regardless of the price?

Maybe the few RTS games I've played were just duds. Please let me know if you like RTS and why. If it's the gameplay, tell me a little about your enjoyment. The only RTS I can think of, that I played recently, was Divinity Dragon Commander. I liked the story, really didn't like the game-play. It took way too long doing the same level over and over again just so I can blow up these little dudes, manage resources, destroy a base and get my dragon out in a timely manner.
Feb 15, 2014 5:35 PM

Dec 2012
Well, I personally grew up playing RTS games like Starcraft, Red Alert, AoE, Warcraft, Total Annihilation, Dune, etc so naturally I like them.

But what I like about RTS games is that they make you think about different strategies and discovering the most effective one in different situations feel very rewarding. It's essentially a chess game on a bigger scale. And as far as story goes, most of them are heavily in depth, you just haven't invested the time or patient to follow them.
Feb 15, 2014 10:54 PM

Sep 2012
IntervisioN said:
Well, I personally grew up playing RTS games like Starcraft, Red Alert, AoE, Warcraft, Total Annihilation, Dune, etc so naturally I like them.

But what I like about RTS games is that they make you think about different strategies and discovering the most effective one in different situations feel very rewarding. It's essentially a chess game on a bigger scale. And as far as story goes, most of them are heavily in depth, you just haven't invested the time or patient to follow them.

I think I get what you're saying. I like the chess analogy. I could never get into chess. Now about the stories you mention. I went to IGN and gamespot to read reviews for the Starcraft games and they barely mention anything about the stories. Does the most recent Starcraft have a story on par with other RPGs?

I do think I might not have given Strategy enough of a chance. I'm not sure if I want to yet, but if I do it will be one with a decent story. Thanks for the input!
Feb 15, 2014 11:29 PM

Mar 2008
SwordsmanDan said:
Does the most recent Starcraft have a story on par with other RPGs?
No. It's not even on par with the first one. (But this greatly depends on the RPG...unless you meant to say RTS, in which case it might be.)

I enjoy RTS games, but it's typically for the gameplay and (of course) strategizing that is involved. I also really enjoy turn-based strategy games but unfortunately I usually don't have the time for them.
There actually aren't enough of them in my opinion, and I'd really enjoy a modern classic strategy game with multiple races and magic and all that...but there's surprisingly very few, and virtually none that are multi-player.
Feb 16, 2014 8:44 AM

Jan 2011
You just don't like the genre?
Feb 16, 2014 10:35 AM

Mar 2011
I usually imagine a really cheesy drama for tougher battles, official storyline during a scenario would just ruin the experience.
Feb 16, 2014 11:52 AM

Sep 2009
Strategy games are one of my favorite genres (though I prefer turn-based ones over RTS). But, if you are looking for complex plots, you might as well search among FPS'. :P
Well, not that they need those, they are all about gameplay. Most of the time they only have a token storyline (or none at all, like one of my favorite 4X titles - Stars!).

Actually, you will rarely find decent storylines in genres other than RPGs or Adventure games, though even among those really good plots are kinda exceptional (especially lately). When I'm looking for a captivating storyline, I stick to books and visual novels.
Feb 16, 2014 11:55 AM
Jul 2012
What's RTS?

Strategy games dosen't interest me alot. So, no I don't like playing strategy games at all.
Feb 16, 2014 6:20 PM

Feb 2005
There's "RTS" and then there's real strategy games though.

C&C, Starcraft, etc, hardly have any strategy in them at all, the only semblance of strategy you get is by having a rough idea of what you'll do before you start the match. The gameplay itself is just tactics.

The Total War games, the majority of turn based strategy and RTS such as Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings on the other hand, have actual strategy in them, where you have a long winded persistent campaign in which you have to plan ahead instead of spamming units.

Anyways, yes, complaining about a strategy gaming lacking story is in most cases like crying because your apples taste like apples. Story has never been the core element of the genre.
Feb 17, 2014 4:37 AM

Jun 2010
SwordsmanDan said:
I'm not sure if I want to yet, but if I do it will be one with a decent story. Thanks for the input!

Just one thing to say: the Homeworld series - especially the first one. Haven't found one other RTS with a story as compelling as the one presented there.

And I kinda understand your sentiment - for me story, atmosphere and world-building are major points of appeal for any video game. That is probably why I drifted more towards RPGs. As you said RTS usually only give you something like a framework and then focus solely on the gameplay aspects.
Feb 17, 2014 12:33 PM

Sep 2012
Asturaetus said:
SwordsmanDan said:
I'm not sure if I want to yet, but if I do it will be one with a decent story. Thanks for the input!

Just one thing to say: the Homeworld series - especially the first one. Haven't found one other RTS with a story as compelling as the one presented there.

And I kinda understand your sentiment - for me story, atmosphere and world-building are major points of appeal for any video game. That is probably why I drifted more towards RPGs. As you said RTS usually only give you something like a framework and then focus solely on the gameplay aspects.

OMG you have me interested in Homeworld. It's not on steam or GOG but the wiki said they are making 1 & 2 HD versions. I guess I can wait for that!
Feb 17, 2014 10:57 PM

Nov 2012
You should try StarCraft at a minimum. That's pretty much the staple RTS of the genre, and it's what sold me on it. If the first game is too old for you, feel free to start on the second. It's basically the same game with upgraded graphics and some slightly different units. The custom level editor that comes with both games in the series allows for so much creativity that people have created wildly different gameplay from the base game, and it adds a lot of replay value to the game even after you get bored of all the core gameplay.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Feb 18, 2014 12:42 AM

Dec 2013
Try The red alert series to play, play alot when i play
Feb 18, 2014 6:19 AM

Jul 2013
Expecting a great story from your average RTS is same as expecting one from your average fighting game.

There are RTS games like Warcraft that are heavy into story and lore but most of them are all about gameplay like said.

I guess the op can't play music games, sport games, driving games, basic puzzle games and so forth too because most of the time such games aren't about story.

Or same could be really said any genre expect RPGS and adventure games where the story is usually the main draw.

Call Of Duty might have story but how many play it for that reason?
Feb 18, 2014 11:46 AM

Sep 2012
Kuruwin said:
Expecting a great story from your average RTS is same as expecting one from your average fighting game.

There are RTS games like Warcraft that are heavy into story and lore but most of them are all about gameplay like said.

I guess the op can't play music games, sport games, driving games, basic puzzle games and so forth too because most of the time such games aren't about story.

I haven't heard of a fighting game with a good story. There are, however, RTS with good stories. Some of the posts here have agreed to as much. No, I don't want to play "music games, sports games, driving games, basic puzzle games" because I don't have any interest in them other than a rare diversion or playing with friends.

There are RTS that advertise having a gripping story-line. As you mention, these might not be the "average" RTS. But in the same token, it's possible many of them might just be boasting to pull in more interest for the game. In addition, I have played shooters and action adventures with good stories. A good story is by no means unimportant to any genre except RPGs.

Yes, the point is made that I am more likely to find a good story in an RPG. It is not made that I should restrict my genre to only RPGs and adventure games because other genres don't care about story.
Feb 18, 2014 1:50 PM

Aug 2009
StarCraft is a gentleman's game. It's like chess but with space truckers (even though I prefer Protoss). What's not to like?

More topics from this board

» Favorite Playstation era

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 14

25 by Yuno »»
4 hours ago

» Japanese games vs. American games

coolyfruity - Aug 28

36 by Kodreyu »»
6 hours ago

» What are you playing right now? (v2) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

anime-prime - Oct 4, 2020

3714 by Morningstar991 »»
7 hours ago

» First Pokémon game

ani2016 - Aug 18

34 by Midna »»
9 hours ago

» Favorite Nintendo Era

Kirika_Madeleine - Sep 17

6 by Midna »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.