Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 17, 2009 7:55 PM
Jul 2018
There are always a few movies that you absolutely despise.....especially if you paid for them.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Jun 17, 2009 8:34 PM

Jul 2008
The one that disappointed me the most this year: X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Where do I start?

Well, for starters let's start with the ridiculously cheesy 10 year old bestial yell that made me crack up. Then we'll go into the whole massacring the storyline of the comic book, them screwing up Deadpool and them killing Deadpool which I must add is impossible. The terrible acting throughout, the really bad Cajun accent the actor that played Gambit tried to muster.

But besides that it was a great movie.
Jun 17, 2009 11:33 PM

Mar 2008
superman returns sucked ass IMO
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Jun 18, 2009 7:06 AM

Nov 2006
Oh my goodness...my parents made me watch this old 1970 movie called "Love Story" (it was the movie they went to see on their first date). That was 99 minutes of PURE agony. There was no plot, most of the things they did and said made no sense, the music was making my ears bleed (not literally), and the lead actor and actress I just wanted to punch. I'm pretty sure I just wanted to slam my head against a wall by the end of the movie...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jun 18, 2009 7:56 AM

Apr 2008
Those original Sci-Fi movies.

Alucard and Seras

Jun 18, 2009 11:37 AM

Jul 2008
1eyedjoker said:
Those original Sci-Fi movies.

Amen. Amen.
Jun 19, 2009 4:35 AM

Aug 2008
Any movie with Adam Sandler.

"Pocahontas 2" (I can't believe she ended up with John Rolfe after having such a love story with John Smith - I felt absolutely deceived as a child).
Jun 20, 2009 8:33 AM

Apr 2008
Poison_Ivy said:

Punch Drunk Love being the exception.

Alucard and Seras

Jun 21, 2009 6:09 PM

Nov 2006
1eyedjoker said:
Poison_Ivy said:

Punch Drunk Love being the exception.

The only movie of his that I actually really liked was Mr. Deeds...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines.
Jul 16, 2009 10:20 AM

Jul 2009
FALLEN101 said:
The one that disappointed me the most this year: X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

While I do agree it wasn't a masterpiece, rating it as most disappointing film is a bit too harsh, isn't it?

I mean, it fulfills its purpose as an entertaining action filled, 1+ hour commercial for Wolverine merchandise, doesn't it?

It's not like it claimed to have any 'nobler' aspiration :P
Aug 10, 2009 7:20 AM

Jul 2008
cereja-chan said:

While I do agree it wasn't a masterpiece, rating it as most disappointing film is a bit too harsh, isn't it?

I mean, it fulfills its purpose as an entertaining action filled, 1+ hour commercial for Wolverine merchandise, doesn't it?

It's not like it claimed to have any 'nobler' aspiration :P

Yeah but the problem with it was that I didn't really want to see it in the first place, I wanted to see Star Trek but my friends dragged me into the theater kicking and screaming as they attempted to get my hopes up. After they finally did get my hopes up, I watched the film shit all over the comics I knew and loved as a child.

While I do realize that it didn't set out to be a masterpiece, the least they could've done was follow the comic. Or is that too much to ask? And also, they should never have killed Deadpool.

By the way, sorry for the late reply, I just now noticed it.
Dec 4, 2010 1:19 PM
Aug 2010
Currently Fight Club, Pulp Fiction, and Saving Private Ryan.
Dec 27, 2010 9:40 AM

Jul 2008
@Moondrop:

Was that just because they are so over-hyped that they let you down or because you truly believe they are terrible movies? Just wondering because I could definitely see the hype making them super letdowns.

I need to add to my list of least favorite movies I've realized because there are several that do make the cut now that I've stopped to think about them. And Wolverine is still on the list.

Also includes The Ring 2, The Tomb, and Moulin Rouge. (I will say that the last one has one good scene worth watching, but it's a waste to sit through two hours of pure agony just to get to it so it falls under least favorite movie.)
Dec 30, 2010 5:03 PM
Aug 2010
FALLEN101 said:
@Moondrop:

Was that just because they are so over-hyped that they let you down or because you truly believe they are terrible movies? Just wondering because I could definitely see the hype making them super letdowns.

I need to add to my list of least favorite movies I've realized because there are several that do make the cut now that I've stopped to think about them. And Wolverine is still on the list.

Also includes The Ring 2, The Tomb, and Moulin Rouge. (I will say that the last one has one good scene worth watching, but it's a waste to sit through two hours of pure agony just to get to it so it falls under least favorite movie.)

Saving Private Ryan was just truly terrible, Fight Club was close to being truly terrible but the hype played a part in making me really dislike it, Pulp Fiction was more of the hype then being truly terrible. I'd say my least favorite film in terms of actual quality of the film is probably Step Brothers, which has everything I dislike in a comedy.
Jan 8, 2011 3:04 PM

Oct 2009
Batman Forever and Romeo + Juliet are probably my worst movie watching experiences.

I actually kinda liked Batman & Robin because, well... atleast the villians are sort of on the right track. While in Forever it's so blatant that they wanted two Jokers or something as the villians and just wrote that instead. And hoo boy Val Kilmer. :x It's pretty awful.

With Romeo + Juliet the concept of sticking to the original script in a modern setting did not work. It almost had that "Reading a story out loud in school" kind of vibe. You know, when the students doesn't give a shit about the story. :P That and I hate Leonardo DiCaprio. ( Because my sister would allways watch Titanic on repeat when I was a kid. )
Jan 9, 2011 6:46 PM
Jan 2009
First one that comes to mind is Avatar. God almighty, that film was awful.

The Dark Knight and American Beauty are two other heavily hyped/beloved movies that I thought were awful. I mean, neither of them is even close to being the worst film I've ever seen, but they're two of the films I dislike the most proportionate to their popularity/acclaim.

And yeah, Adam Sandler is terrible. Or rather, he's a terrible comedian - but surprisingly, he's a pretty good actor (c.f. Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love). Solution: Never let Adam Sandler write his own material. Ever.

@Moondrop: Man... you must have the Bizarro World version of my taste in movies. I absolutely adored each and every one of the films you mentioned (well, except Pulp Fiction, which I haven't seen yet). Step Brothers is one of my favorite comedies of all time, and certainly my favorite "low-concept" comedy.
Ni_Go_Zero_IchiJan 9, 2011 7:16 PM
Jan 9, 2011 11:39 PM

Jul 2008
There have been even worse movies, including ones I have seen in the theater and walked out of before they ended (Fast and Furious 4, Get him to the Greek, in recent memory), but for sheer disappointment, it's hard to beat Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith.

As putrid as the film itself was, it was made worse because all the professional reviewers, including asshole Roger Ebert, were hyping this up as a great film upon release, and a lot of ordinary movie-goers, myself included, believed those fucking shills.

The only thing that encouraged me was Maddox's awesome article tearing down that abomination, although if anything, he was too nice in his review;

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=episode3
Jan 10, 2011 11:37 AM
Jan 2009
YoungVagabond said:

Good lord, that article was terrible. I rarely say this, but I actually miss the 5 minutes of my life I spent reading that which I will never get back. I am astonished that anybody reads that guy's writing of their own free will.

Yeah, I know, personal taste and everything, but GOD that was bad. I'm not even that big a fan of Star Wars, but man, that was just excruciating to read. If it had been any more soaked in vitriol and self-satisfaction it would have started dripping out of my monitor.
Ni_Go_Zero_IchiJan 10, 2011 12:03 PM
Jan 10, 2011 3:33 PM
Aug 2010
gatotsu911 said:
First one that comes to mind is Avatar. God almighty, that film was awful.

The Dark Knight and American Beauty are two other heavily hyped/beloved movies that I thought were awful. I mean, neither of them is even close to being the worst film I've ever seen, but they're two of the films I dislike the most proportionate to their popularity/acclaim.

And yeah, Adam Sandler is terrible. Or rather, he's a terrible comedian - but surprisingly, he's a pretty good actor (c.f. Reign Over Me, Punch Drunk Love). Solution: Never let Adam Sandler write his own material. Ever.

@Moondrop: Man... you must have the Bizarro World version of my taste in movies. I absolutely adored each and every one of the films you mentioned (well, except Pulp Fiction, which I haven't seen yet). Step Brothers is one of my favorite comedies of all time, and certainly my favorite "low-concept" comedy.

Well, I dislike all the films you've listed as overrated as well. Saving Private Ryan is shallow and corny, Fight Club is annoying, Pulp Fiction I just see no appeal in, and Step Brothers is a bit to "low" for me (seems like a 10 year old kid could write it).
Jan 10, 2011 4:31 PM

Jul 2008
gatotsu911 said:
YoungVagabond said:

Good lord, that article was terrible. I rarely say this, but I actually miss the 5 minutes of my life I spent reading that which I will never get back. I am astonished that anybody reads that guy's writing of their own free will.

Yeah, I know, personal taste and everything, but GOD that was bad. I'm not even that big a fan of Star Wars, but man, that was just excruciating to read. If it had been any more soaked in vitriol and self-satisfaction it would have started dripping out of my monitor.

Okay, you repeated three times that you didn't like it. We got that...the first time.

How about telling us why?
Jan 10, 2011 8:34 PM
Jan 2009
YoungVagabond said:
Okay, you repeated three times that you didn't like it. We got that...the first time.

How about telling us why?

I just couldn't emphasize it enough. I just couldn't emphasize it enough. I just couldn't emphasize it enough.

I did explain why I didn't like it, in my last sentence. Adding to that: I gleaned absolutely nothing from that article that I couldn't have gotten in far less smarmy and possibly more entertaining form from listening to your run-of-the-mill disillusioned Star Wars fanboy. (Some of the criticisms, e.g. against Anakin strangling Padme, don't even make sense insofar as they were oblivious to what the film was trying to do, regardless of whether it did it well.)

I'm not going to elaborate beyond that, because it's really not worth my time. If you enjoy that kind of writing... well, then you do, I guess, but I found the experience of reading that article (and browsing some of his others) to be the literary equivalent of attempting to eat a bucket of vegemite mixed with pit bull vomit. If I'm going to read condescending, vitriolic tripe, I might as well go with condescending, vitriolic tripe from someone who has something at least reasonably original or interesting to say, e.g. Tim Rogers.
Ni_Go_Zero_IchiJan 10, 2011 8:45 PM
Jan 10, 2011 11:27 PM

Jul 2008
gatotsu911 said:

I did explain why I didn't like it, in my last sentence. Adding to that: I gleaned absolutely nothing from that article that I couldn't have gotten in far less smarmy and possibly more entertaining form from listening to your run-of-the-mill disillusioned Star Wars fanboy.

Do you even know what a "movie review" is, and what it's trying to accomplish?

It's a brief summary of what made a film good or bad. That particular article did that, regardless of whether you "gleaned" anything from it or not. And considering "Revenge of the Sith" was a bunch of idiotic shit, I'm not sure how they were supposed to teach you anything to begin with.

(Some of the criticisms, e.g. against Anakin strangling Padme, don't even make sense insofar as they were oblivious to what the film was trying to do, regardless of whether it did it well.)

Okay, I'll humor you; why does it not make sense?

I'm not going to elaborate beyond that, because it's really not worth my time.

Oh.

In that case, why did you bother replying to my post at all? What about your precious time?

If you enjoy that kind of writing... well, then you do, I guess, but I found the experience of reading that article (and browsing some of his others) to be the literary equivalent of attempting to eat a bucket of vegemite mixed with pit bull vomit. If I'm going to read condescending, vitriolic tripe, I might as well go with condescending, vitriolic tripe from someone who has something at least reasonably original or interesting to say, e.g. Tim Rogers.

I love how you cried and bitched so much about me writing mean things to you once upon a time about "stories in video games", and then come into this topic and act so douchey that any more and we would have to patent you as the new method for anal irrigation.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Favorite Romance/Romance-esque Movies

FALLEN101 - Feb 23, 2010

5 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 1:17 AM

» Favorite Flicks

1eyedjoker - Dec 28, 2008

22 by Ni_Go_Zero_Ichi »»
Jul 4, 2012 1:06 AM

» Discuss the Last Movie You Watched ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xMatronxMalicex - Dec 29, 2008

233 by ivorykeys »»
Mar 9, 2011 6:24 AM

» What's your 'plan to watch' list?

Milk-plus__ - Jan 26, 2009

13 by sunup »»
Jan 10, 2011 3:35 PM

» New Trailer Thread ( 1 2 )

1eyedjoker - Apr 3, 2009

78 by FALLEN101 »»
Feb 27, 2010 1:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.