Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 11, 2008 6:04 AM

Jul 2007
Copied, slightly modified pasta from two earlier threads.

Yuunagi said:
As some of you may or may not know, there's this club here at MAL known as Critics and Connoisseurs, and one of their main activities is nominating outstanding anime, manga, and characters which members believe are worth adding to the club relations. Each week, one anime series, one manga series, and one character is randomly chosen from the list of nominations to be featured for the "spotlight" for the members to share their opinions and discuss the pros and cons of each. After a week of being chosen for the spotlights, the members then decide by voting if these will be included in the club relations (there must be at least 3 "yes" votes for every 1 "no" vote for it to get in).

At almost 30 nominations, the first season of Gunslinger has a relatively good chance of being featured for the spotlight, so I'd like to hear your thoughts about the series and what makes it outstanding.

The point of this thread, then, is to give the members of the Gunslinger Girl club an opportunity to share their enthusiasm if/when the manga or the animated series is featured for the spotlight. If, by that time, you cannot personally join in those discussions, we could get your point across by quoting your review or posting a link to this thread.

If you have trouble in expressing your own thoughts, feel free to quote other reviews (though please cite your sources).
YuunagiDec 11, 2008 6:31 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 11, 2008 3:17 PM
Aug 2007
Reporting in from the club:

Gunslinger Girl is bitter sweet. It's undeniably a sad story of little girls who lost all qualities in life, and are then broken down to tools by the government in the name of justice and science to uphold military might in the fight against terrorism in a split Italia. Forza Italia. BUT, it doesn't intentionally try to suck out the tears of the readers/viewers to attract that certain kind of audience. The girls in our story are somewhat aware of what lives they are living, they who seek to be aware could most possibly maintain awareness of their situation if they are willing to face their destiny in this tragic manner. With that said they aren't held back, in fact they're treated fairly good with rich living standards and a full set of opportunities to how the girls would want to enrich their short-lived lives. The girls are in their heart still human, so it's a matter of course that they tend to make the best of the little they have; everyone with a human mind clings to life. They want to be good at their job, they want praise; everyone needs a little praise to know that they're doing good. Others of the girls may feel differently depending on their situation and mindset, but that's to be expected. Gunslinger Girl is a human experiment, the author does a good job in presenting this realism. What else is Gunslinger Girl? We see a work of fiction with a real life dilemma in a real life country, all put to life in a so fine tuned script that it's almost frightening. How unrealistic is this situation that the author is presenting? It's a desperate situation in Italy, and desperate problems do call for desperate solutions. It's sad to see the girls having trouble with matching their nature as little girls with that of a killing machine. On the other hand it's warming to see these fragile little faces smile to the world of all the little joys and fun it has to offer,
even though they're all instruments of murdering,
even though they have no family,
even though life never was for these girls to live out to anything near its full extent,
even though...
even though all that - it's all simply ever so beautiful.

The art and sound (art for the manga, and both for the anime) is in their own way spectacular. Not spectacular because it's the best, it's spectacular because it fits the series all so well. The art we see in the anime of Gunslinger Girl is not a common sight. Either it's because it's so well done that it's hard to even bother with for other makers to create, or it never fitted anything else that much. I believe the truth behind that question is a mix of both answers: it's really well done all to the heart, but as the art partly makes the series, it's vice versa - the series makes the art as well. All aspects of the series colors each and one and makes out an unique atmosphere.

Gunslinger Girl is truly one of a kind, and deserves all the positive attention it can get.
inactiveuserOct 18, 2009 6:40 AM
Dec 24, 2008 4:49 AM

Jul 2007
Su said:
BUT, it doesn't intentionally try to suck out the tears of the readers/viewers to attract that certain kind of audience.
Haha. I like how you put it. It does raise another issue though.

In several parts of this site I've brought up for discussion the role of female characters in fiction, specifically in anime and manga. It's common these days for girls to play parts which were once reserved mainly for guys (trigger-happy action figures such as Revy and Yoko, mechanics like Leite, lady killers like Paraietta, etc.) but some functions remain almost exclusive to women. Girls outnumber guys as main characters in slice of life series (Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, Ichigo Mashimaro, Kamichu!, Aria, YKK, Hidamari Sketch, Minami-ke, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, etc.). Guys beating the shit out of girls is politically incorrect, but tsunderekko are considered "cute." Likewise, there are probably 20 or 30 girls for every guy who's considered as "moe."

Which leads to this question: Is the use of prepubescent girls in Gunslinger Girl justified/feasible, or is the author simply taking advantage of a few tropes? Youth and femininity imply innocence and vulnerability so it's no wonder that the two seem to be exploited rather often in tragic stories (SaiKano, Air, Elfen Lied, Grave of the Fireflies, the bishoujo game Kana Imouto, etc.).

Is Gunslinger Girl any different?

Jean handwaves the issue of age by saying “The physical modification and brainwashing procedures apparently work better the younger they are,” while the bomb expert in episode 6 explains, ”Well, kids are most adorable at around this age…” but is there more to it than just that?

I already have a few hypotheses in mind but I'd like to hear some of your thoughts before posting them.
YuunagiApr 24, 2009 6:22 PM
Mar 9, 2009 4:22 AM

Jul 2007
While the appeal of lolis to certain audiences cannot be denied, I'd like to believe that there are other reasons besides trying to charm the audience. So far, I've thought of 3 main points.

1) cognitive dissonance
Their occupation (black ops, assassination, etc.) is not fitting for characters of their age and gender. This disturbing contrast highlights the moral dilemma of GsG's premise.

2) emphasis on control rather than power
Of course, making prepubescent girls physically capable of annihilating terrorist groups is wrong in itself. However, far more disturbing is the fact that they're conditioned into following such orders. What they can do is not as important as what they are made to do.
Besides serving as benefits/trade-offs for some girls (specif. Rico), the cybernetic implants for enhancing physical capabilities are there to aid in suspending disbelief. With the physical aspect taken care of, the story is able to focus more on the central issue which is the use of conditioning to influence their minds. Note that it's the mental deterioration rather than the damage to their bodies which is slowly killing them.

By extension, these two lead to...

3) it won't work as well for boys
From the SWA's perspective, boys would be (due to biological urges and/or social upbringing) rowdier and harder to control due to their penchant for more violent games. Also, girls are said to have higher priority for relationships so they might be more willing to follow instructions in order to please their respective handlers.

For the audience, the cognitive dissonance would not be as great since it would be less surprising for boys to go berserk compared to girls. Also, boys are less likely to induce sympathy due to the different masculine ideals which are instilled in them and the audience (i.e. trying to be strong, tough, macho, etc.).
YuunagiMar 9, 2009 6:03 AM
Oct 19, 2009 10:08 PM
Aug 2007
I'm looking through this thread once again, and I did some editing on my initial post.

Regarding the matter of reasoning with the fact that only young girls are put into action in this play of realism:

Your 3rd point really do answer the question all together. If I remember correctly, the audience was never presented with this point of view, not directly. But would that even be necessary? I think not. It could perhaps make it easier for the lighter kind of audience to appreciate, but it would also make it feel dumbed down for those of us who expect something rich and new from this media in order to lose yourself in it.
Jul 29, 2010 2:04 AM

Jul 2008
Yuunagi said:

Which leads to this question: Is the use of prepubescent girls in Gunslinger Girl justified/feasible, or is the author simply taking advantage of a few tropes?

I know I'm answering very late, but the answer is yes - to both. There's nothing wrong, with, say, using Rico's tragic cuteness to drum up some heartstring pulls when Jean mistreats her, or using Triela's admitted seductiveness and vulnerability to strengthen the bond she makes with the reader as she learns the truth from Hillshire. So yes, if it's used to build the character instead of making her into a moe, adolescent sex symbol (I'm looking at you, Witches No Pantsu), then yes it's justified.
Jul 29, 2010 2:05 AM

Jul 2008
Yuunagi said:

Which leads to this question: Is the use of prepubescent girls in Gunslinger Girl justified/feasible, or is the author simply taking advantage of a few tropes?

I know I'm answering very late, but the answer is yes - to both. There's nothing wrong, with, say, using Rico's tragic cuteness to drum up some heartstring pulls when Jean mistreats her, or using Triela's admitted seductiveness and vulnerability to strengthen the bond she makes with the reader as she learns the truth from Hillshire. So yes, if it's used to build the character instead of making her into a moe, adolescent sex symbol (I'm looking at you, Witches No Pantsu), then yes it's justified.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Gunslinger Girl Season 3?

FantasyMayDie - Aug 25, 2010

7 by Wallenwhatsit »»
Sep 25, 2021 2:13 AM

» Favorite fratello

taraswizard - Oct 10, 2009

18 by Freezerg »»
Aug 18, 2016 3:12 PM

» member card ( 1 2 )

Lady_Death_Cat - Sep 21, 2009

66 by Blaze862 »»
Sep 14, 2014 11:15 PM

» First series

taraswizard - Jan 15, 2012

1 by Sunabozu »»
Jan 16, 2012 1:09 AM

» OST

dizzyS - Jun 8, 2010

0 by dizzyS »»
Jun 8, 2010 3:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.