Forums
New
May 25, 2011 11:43 AM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
Panel Name: The Slightly Perverted Genius of Go Nagai
Where: Otakon 2011
Time: TBA

Okay, so my Go Nagai panel at Otakon is a go. I could use any good links to any interviews, stories, etc about Go Nagai. I'd prefer English ones but if there is some really good Japanese links also let me know (I can rope a friend into translating it for me).

So, what would you guys like to see in Go Nagai Panel? Ideally the panel needs to straddle the line between good general info (for the anime fan who doesn't anything) and some good juicy bits (for a Go Nagai Fan).

I'll do some graphic slides and maybe some clips. If anyone has any good clips let me know. Just remember this is an all ages panel! (I considered an 18+ panel but most likely no one would show up because they would be in one of the hentai/yaoi panels at that time.)

I'd like to hit some of the big titles (unfortunately, there is just to much to cover in a short time):
Devilman
Cutie Honey
Dororon Enma-kun
Getter Robo
Mazinkaiser
Violence Jack
Kekkou Kamen (maybe?)
Mao Dante

Am I missing anything you guys think I should hit?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 27, 2011 9:50 AM

Aug 2009
Getter Robo didn't have much to do with Go Nagai. It was mostly Ken Ishikawa's doing.

Here are some of my ideas:

I'd suggest you cover Harenchi Gakuen as it has a lot of historical value. You should talk about Go Nagai's fascination with Dante's Divine Comedy. He even made a manga version of it.

Do mention that Go Nagai is merely a manga artist, because there's still the notion that he's a director considering a lot of the licensed titles just stuck the name "Go Nagai" on it. There's also Susano oh, which he won the kodansha manga award with it in 1980.

Also, you should talk about Go Nagai today, his opposition to the youth bill, member of osamu tezuka's cultural prize committee and maybe a bit about his fanbase around the world, especially in the middle east and in Europe.

Devilman (Good)
Cutie Honey (Good)
Dororon Enma-kun (Drop it)
Getter Robo (Mostly Ken Ishikawa)
Mazinkaiser (I'd go for Mazinger instead, can have brief mentions about Great Mazinger and especially Grendizer's popularity in some countries)
Violence Jack (It's his longest manga. It can be covered with Devilman as it's a sequel)
Kekkou Kamen (Drop it. You already have Cutie Honey)
Mao Dante (Drop it. It only served as a prototype to Devilman so you can cover it briefly in the Devilman section)
Harenchi Gakuen (Importance to the ecchi genre)

DocJangarlyJun 16, 2011 10:31 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Go Nagai Scanlations and Fansubs

Brand - Nov 12, 2009

7 by AndroidLB »»
Feb 22, 2022 11:47 AM

» So what is everybody's favorite Go Nagai title?

Brand - Sep 2, 2007

44 by removed-user »»
Feb 10, 2020 10:59 PM

» Does anybody know where I can download some of Go Nagai's Works?

Sick_Bastard - Mar 3, 2010

3 by abystoma2 »»
Sep 19, 2015 2:49 AM

» Live Action Awesome!

RogerZaraki - Oct 30, 2009

10 by DocJangarly »»
Oct 13, 2010 3:57 PM

» demon prince enma

devilman - Feb 4, 2009

4 by Alas86 »»
Dec 6, 2009 1:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.