Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 1, 3:11 PM

Jun 2012
I have a cinema subscription so might as well use it. Do you think this will be enjoyable if I don't know anything about the franchise?
Jun 1, 3:19 PM
Jan 2019
Hi, I was kind of in the same spot as you, I never saw anything of Haikyuu before the movie… I watched the first 20 episodes before going to the cinema and understood it. A friend of mine who I was going to watch the movie with told me that it wasn’t necessary to watch the anime before the movie, that I just need to kind of know something about the characters and actually it was really good. I don’t think you need to watch everything before the movie
Jun 1, 4:10 PM
Oct 2023
Just saw it this afternoon and was commenting on it to the missus

It was honestly the best animated piece of Haikyuu content I’ve ever seen. And I’ve seen almost all of it. Very very good and a high intensity match that’s been a long time coming for Anime-only people! Go see it for sure, totally was worth my money.
Jun 1, 4:47 PM
Feb 2021
Enjoyable? Yes. It’s a very intense and well-animated volleyball match, and I’d argue that intensity still shines through even if you haven’t seen the series up to this point.

However, you will get a lot more out of it if you enjoyed the show up to this point, as there is a lot of character development and payoff from previous arcs in the show.

Ultimately, it’s up to you. If sports anime are your cup of tea, or something that interests you, then I’d say it’s worth a shot, especially if you’re watching it for cheap. And, if you do enjoy it, consider watching the rest of the show.
Jun 1, 9:50 PM
Dec 2021
I wouldn't recommend that. Haikyuu is much better when you know about the characters, their struggles, etc. Especially with this movie, if you don't know about certain characters from the start of their story, there is a high chance you won't feel the same emotions compared to someone who is familiar with the characters. For me, when I just heard "I am so happy" from a certain character, the tears came out while watching the movie. Although the movie is still "good" for the watchers because they do shows flashbacks and all, movie would be "great" if you had already watched Haikyuu.
Jun 1, 10:06 PM
Jul 2021
I wouldn't suggest that. Because the character development in Haikyu is very strong and it uses multiple episodes to build up some strong character moments. Watching the movie first would ruin that character development for some major characters.
Jun 1, 10:13 PM
Sep 2022
Riiken said:
I have a cinema subscription so might as well use it. Do you think this will be enjoyable if I don't know anything about the franchise?

Nope, watch all the seasons first! Highly recommended, otherwise you're going to miss a lot of things.
Jun 1, 11:23 PM
Feb 2021
No, you won’t enjoy as you don’t know a thing about the characters and their rivalry with the opponent team
Jun 2, 2:12 AM
Jul 2021
No( character limit)
Jun 2, 3:10 AM

Sep 2020
This is like saying I've never driven a car before, can I get on the highway?
I've never played Elden Ring before, can I beat the hardest difficulty?
I've never used a straight razor before, will I cut myself?
I've never cooked before, can I cook omurice?

Keep it going.

๐’ฎ๐‘œ๐“‚๐‘’๐“‰๐’พ๐“‚๐‘’๐“ˆ, ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š ๐’ธ๐’ถ๐“ƒ'๐“‰ ๐“‚๐‘œ๐“‹๐‘’ ๐’ป๐‘œ๐“‡๐“Œ๐’ถ๐“‡๐’น ๐“Œ๐’พ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘œ๐“Š๐“‰ ๐’ธ๐“๐‘œ๐“ˆ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐‘” ๐“‰๐’ฝ๐‘’ ๐’น๐‘œ๐‘œ๐“‡ ๐’ท๐‘’๐’ฝ๐’พ๐“ƒ๐’น ๐“Ž๐‘œ๐“Š. - ๐‘…๐‘’๐’พ ๐’ฆ๐’พ๐“‡๐’พ๐“Ž๐’ถ๐“‚๐’ถ

Jun 2, 3:46 AM

Oct 2019
You'll get the plot, but just keep in mind that you'll be missing out on knowing all thr characters and dynamics beforehand.

It wouldn't ruin the movie, but it does take away from it.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Animeใ€ŒAMVใ€: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jun 2, 4:54 AM
Jun 2020
Everything in the movie is explained that clearly that my friend who had never watched an anime episode in his entire life (I forced him to go to the cinema with me) had much fun. Maybe it would be better if you knew the relationships between characters in the anime but there is no problem in watching this movie without knowing the entire plot, go and have fun
Jun 2, 3:15 PM

Jun 2014
Even without any knowledge, you'll definitely have a good time simply just enjoying the intensity of the match. But this is like the "fateful match" between these 2 teams, who have a long history that spans throughout the entire series. I'd personally want to see the dynamics and relationships be established first, going into this match knowing exactly why it means so much between certain players on both of the teams involved. Of course, if you don't care about any of that then go ahead and watch the movie lol, but definitely consider going back and watching Haikyuu from the beginning because it's such a great series.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Jun 3, 12:19 AM

Jul 2012
I would say that knowing the background of previous seasons enhances the story but isn’t essential to watching it. If you take this movie as a stand alone then it’s about two teams who promised to play against each other in the nationals. Flashbacks to important scenes from the main series help patch up any gaps in your knowledge.

If you want to watch a few episodes rather than the whole thing, the parts of the series that are important to this movie are season one: Karasuno first play Nekoma in a practice match and promise to meet again at nationals. Season two: the summer training camp where Karasuno and Nekoma train together alongside some other teams.

But ultimately, I’d recommend this movie to anyone who wants to take it as a stand-alone and see a good quality sports anime in action.
Jun 14, 2:18 PM
Apr 2020
I watched it with my mom, she has never seen Haikyuu before. I just introduced her to some of the characters before watching the movie, and it went alright. She had a good laugh. (My mom was actually rooting for Nekoma LMAO, she liked Kenma and his personality)

Meaning, you'll definitely enjoy it.

But I, of course, recommend watching the entire show and all the seasons before watching the movie.
tfiamnotaweebJun 14, 2:24 PM
Jul 4, 2:26 PM
Jun 2020
Reply to GuyWithoutFear
I wouldn't recommend that. Haikyuu is much better when you know about the characters, their struggles, etc. Especially with this movie, if you don't know about certain characters from the start of their story, there is a high chance you won't feel the same emotions compared to someone who is familiar with the characters. For me, when I just heard "I am so happy" from a certain character, the tears came out while watching the movie. Although the movie is still "good" for the watchers because they do shows flashbacks and all, movie would be "great" if you had already watched Haikyuu.
@GuyWithoutFear Yes totally. If you haven't seen the anime you do not know the backstory of certain things and it won't be as enjoyable. It would be like your first team activity without knowing the team, you don't know the inner jokes, who does what, why is that guy like that, etc.

More topics from this board

» Whats Next? don't read it, when anime only!

Kuraikosama - Jul 6

6 by shinoikawa »»
Jul 16, 11:52 PM

Poll: » Haikyuu!! Movie: Gomisuteba no Kessen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Usopp8000 - Mar 11

65 by coffee_maker12 »»
Jul 4, 10:00 PM

» Is it available on streaming website's yet

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Jun 3

8 by tfiamnotaweeb »»
Jun 14, 2:15 PM

» Is there a remote chance of a new season or a 3rd movie?

Quequel - Jun 6

6 by Lightsrevenge »»
Jun 11, 2:18 PM

» Subs??

Herman97 - Jun 1

28 by crazyanderewitch »»
Jun 6, 1:50 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.