Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 26, 4:02 AM

Dec 2008
I thought this title suffices as good as short, so I assume you know what I’m talking about. Or maybe it’s time to test youngsters’ knowledge on other/some Western cultures if they like certain genre of manga/anime.

Monster & Hannibal Lecter

While Monster mostly I assume (if not always) receives praise by anime watchers. Getting at best as it could high rates and to be recommended by anime……… “elites”? Can we say?… I dunno.

Anyway, it came to me as an instant passing thought. Dr. Hannibal Lecter and Johan Liebert seem (very likely) to share a lot in character, personality, etc.

The 2nd book of Hannibal Lecter: Silence of the Lambs (1988), got a movie adaptation in 1991. Three years later, the manga, Monster (1994), in 2004, the anime adaptation.

It goes without saying that manga, anime and Japanese video games take inspiration from Western/European cultures mostly. Perhaps Thomas Harris books and movies played a big part in the creation of the manga/anime, Monster. That is something only Naoki Urasawa can answer if it is or not.

Questions:
1. In your opinion, do Monster and Hannibal Lecter share in common?
2. If yes, would you recommend Hannibal movies to someone never saw?
May 26, 4:08 AM

Aug 2018
1. I only know the Mads Mikkelsen version of Hannibal. I guess they are indeed similar in some ways.

2. N/A
May 26, 4:13 AM

Feb 2024
The Silence of Lambs movie is amazing regardless of any parallels with anime, that's all I can say.
Monster feels much longer than it should be.
The book is nothing special really, didn't impress me at all.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 26, 4:15 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Rhae
1. I only know the Mads Mikkelsen version of Hannibal. I guess they are indeed similar in some ways.

2. N/A
@Rhae Haven't you watched the original movie with Hopkins and Foster? Like... never? You really should.
May 26, 4:20 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to LoveYourSmile
@Rhae Haven't you watched the original movie with Hopkins and Foster? Like... never? You really should.
@LoveYourSmile I, uh, I'm working on it. It's been on my watchlist for years. I watched the series first because I love Mads Mikkelsen.
May 26, 4:25 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Rhae
@LoveYourSmile I, uh, I'm working on it. It's been on my watchlist for years. I watched the series first because I love Mads Mikkelsen.
@Rhae I dropped the series honestly. The movie feels much more **tasteful**.

More topics from this board

» Do you skip anime scenes or episodes?

Johnny65 - 2 hours ago

9 by KenaiPhoenix »»
2 minutes ago

» New Europe update patch notes: will you travel to the Bektashi state?

Commit_Crime - Yesterday

31 by KenaiPhoenix »»
4 minutes ago

» What are some authors and figures that you hold in high esteem?

FilthyApollo - 2 hours ago

9 by TibetanJazz666 »»
17 minutes ago

» Sunny Side Up Or Scarmble Egg

Kanipan_Enkuldes - Sep 11

33 by ZoeyBito »»
2 hours ago

» What are your plans for Halloween 2024?

Yuno - Yesterday

26 by Noboru »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.