Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 30, 8:15 AM

Feb 2024
@Alioli360

Try Stranger Things maybe? Small town, kids, nostalgic, mystery, damsel in distress.
Or It (1990), as an option (but the book is clearly better).

If you don't need kids as main characters, then there are many options really - True Detective, Donnie Darko, Sharp Objects (book), The Face on the Milk Carton (book) etc. And every second story by Stephen King takes place in a small town full of nostalgic drama and mystery lol, just read them all.
LoveYourSmileMay 30, 8:23 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
May 31, 8:45 AM
Jan 2024
paparoski02 said:
There is a show on Netflix with a very similar premise. I think it was called «Erased».

we've got ourselves a comedian here
May 31, 12:10 PM
Jan 2022
Tokyo revengers is literally erased gang affiliation DLC
Jun 1, 1:26 AM
Jul 2021
-DxP- said:
Thread moved to the correct board.

It may seem like nitpicking, but recommendations should be asked for in the recommendation board so that others looking for similar recommendations can find your thread and to avoid discussions on the series sub-forums that don't really have anything to do with the anime itself :)

Apologies. First time starting a threat. I'll look for the rules next time 😓
Jun 1, 1:33 AM
Jul 2021
Akuya said:
Small town setting
Nostalgic feel
Mystery

Higurashi and summertime render seem to fit the bill

Higurashi I love . STR on the other hand, undeniably good, but for some reason by the end it lost me and I did not finnish it😓.
Jun 2, 2:03 PM
Nov 2018
it was great, until the second half
i remember dropping the show even though i was so invested to it

if you want the wholesome, something like toradora?

if you want the mystery, theres a lot of options, but i think something like gosick or higurashi would fit
though gosick have an arguably bad cg, the story carries too hard

nostalgia...? hmmmm....... chobits...? or maybe disappearance of haruhi suzumiya?
(its the movie, the series was insane though, its not nostalgic)

if you want a hard copy of it, tokyo revenger have literally the same summary, except mystery is replaced by gangster life and its wierdly bloody and crazy
(i personally hated it lol)
Jun 2, 9:51 PM

Dec 2021
Definitely Link Click. I'm 100% confident the creator of Link Click was inspired by Erased, even down to the weird aspect ratio. Lots of cool cliffhangers in it too.
Jun 3, 1:11 AM
Jul 2021
Theo1899 said:
Maybe Dark? Tt even includes time travel stuff like Erased (although time travel in Dark is a lot more prominent and complicated)

did love Dark, though last season did too many things.
Jun 3, 1:19 AM
Jul 2021
Cawambar said:
maybe twin peaks, a tv show

Heyyyyy, I completely forgot about Twin peaks, and I really really wanted to watch it, thanks!!
Jun 3, 1:23 AM
Jul 2021
GhostMuttt said:
And “Bastard” by Kim Carnby. It’s been forever since I read it but it’s probably my favorite thriller story ever, definitely my favorite manwha

Bastard's also one of my favorite thrillers, so I'll give your sugestions a try ;)
Jun 3, 1:32 AM
Jul 2021
Nishinga said:
Since you've seen Summertime Render and Shinesaki Yori which are the most similar anime to Erased I've watched, I can only join the recommendation about Twin Peaks and Dark which are not anime.
Twin Peaks is from the 90's and quite odd but it will give you these sensation you are looking for (the 2017 comeback season is a bizarre trip by far weirder than the original series).
Dark is a German TV show, the first two season are great until the last minute of the last episode of the second season, the third season is a huge mess in my opinion, but still worth watching for the first two.
Also saw someone mentioned JoJo Season 4, which is my favorite, and also fits what you are looking for.

season 4 is my absolute fav Jojo part, and it has been interesting realizing how much it fits that niche I love.
Will watch Twin peaks.
Dark season 1 and 2, absolutely beautiful.
Jun 3, 2:06 AM
Jul 2021
PostMahouShoujo said:
ERASE IT!

My condolences for you! This anime was borderline before the final plot twist, and after it, it became simply atrocious. The manga is actually not much better. Erased is one of a few anime I ever gave a 1/10 because it has apparently plagiarized an actually great work.

One of the reasons to never listen to people on MyAnimeList unless you know their exact IQ is because the public here is generally media illiterate, and, as a result, you've already been advised to watch everything EXCEPT the work that Erased has most likely ripped off. Watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and then The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya. The Disappearance movie is the original work that apparently was plagiarized by Erased (the similarities are simply too obvious to not pay attention to them), and it worse than plagiarized it, the author of Erased absolutely did not understand what made the movie great. If you watched it before (according to your list), don't hesitate to rewatch it any time again, because it is a great movie and is worth every second of your time.

Other works may include The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Steins;Gate, Kokkoku and Noein: to your other self.

If you want a perfect example how to emulate a great work, watch Mahou Shoujo Madoka☆Magica and Black★Rock Shooter (TV).

I'll try Noein.
Question, how did Erased plagiarize the suzumiya movie? I guess the feel is similar, and so might be some themes and the time travel, but I wonder if I'm missing something.
Also, I watched the show as a teen, so I have no doubts it is worse than I remember haha. Now, a 1/10.... A rewatch will tell.
Finally, people in MAL might not be most "cultured people", but that's fine, I'm an anime fan and so are they, no reason to shit on people's "IQ" :( . Honestly, I was recommended a danish novel, a David Lynch series, an unknown short manga and anime(noein) and then a 2004 movie which I'd actually believe the author plagiarized.
I think MAL can give itself a pat in the back ;) .
Jun 3, 2:19 AM
Jul 2021
LoveYourSmile said:
@Alioli360

Try Stranger Things maybe? Small town, kids, nostalgic, mystery, damsel in distress.
Or It (1990), as an option (but the book is clearly better).

If you don't need kids as main characters, then there are many options really - True Detective, Donnie Darko, Sharp Objects (book), The Face on the Milk Carton (book) etc. And every second story by Stephen King takes place in a small town full of nostalgic drama and mystery lol, just read them all.

Very interesting suggestions, excited to check them out ;).
Jun 3, 7:53 AM
Jan 2023
I love this anime! I started watching with no expectations and it turned out to be one of my favorites animes ever. I wish there were more animes with vibes like Erased, but also love the fact that it's kinda unic ya know?
(also loved to see people bringing chats about Erased cuz it is such an underrated anime and feels like the fandom is so "erased" hahahhaha)
Jun 14, 7:59 PM

Aug 2022
Alioli360 said:
There's something about the small town setting, nostalgia of the protagonist,
the looming threat of a misterious but real killer...
I just want to experience something like this again, and I'm not talking of anime only.

Hmm...

- small town setting
- nostalgic vibes
- murder mystery

There are good suggestions in the thread, so I'll go with a recommendation that has all these aspects but hasn't been brought up yet:

If you ask me, the 2015 video game Life is Strange is the "western visual novel adaptation of Erased." It was partly inspired by Twin Peaks, and media such as The Butterfly Effect. If you're a fan of slice of life drama with supernatural aspects, this game is worth a shot. Although I must warn that just like the anime adaptation of Erased, Life is Strange has a mixed bag of an ending as well. The game also has a Japanese dub for the sub elitists.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Want some underrated good anime

Roktim583A - Today

3 by Zarutaku »»
25 minutes ago

» Looking for good gay anime/manga recommendations

SombreStarling - 3 hours ago

7 by Lucifrost »»
1 hour ago

» Melancholy

LoveYourSmile - Sep 15

13 by LoveYourSmile »»
2 hours ago

» Manga based on my list

misamxsa - 12 hours ago

2 by Toha »»
4 hours ago

» true harem seeking mc

False_Entity - 10 hours ago

3 by Jackson1333 »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.