Forum Settings
Forums

What do you think next-gen Ecchi anime could be?

New
May 24, 1:43 AM

May 2020
Ecchi anime. It ain't working (in my opinion). These are not the words of a hater, but of a fan, I believe that Ecchi anime might be the single most untapped existing genre in anime right now. Much like shounen has been evolving I think Ecchi anime will also eventually have to evolve to capture the magic it always wanted to have.

Let me try to identify the problem for you.

Ecchi anime, in general, has 2 purposes, to serve as casual entertainment that is relaxing, easy to digest and comfortable OR it is something you watch to be excited, to be shown interesting and sexy scenarios and designs. In my opinion almost all Ecchi falls in category 1, with quite a bit of crossover into "comedy", although very few ecchi anime are what I would consider funny, it's more about building that comfortable vibe I mentioned. That's fine and all but I really want to see more of category 2 as well, the interesting and unique stuff.

Here's another problem. It seems like sexual content is not really allowed in ecchi anime anymore (except sometimes it is? I don't really know what the deal is). I don't expect 10 minute sex scene in an ecchi anime, that crosses into the realm of erotica, but I do expect some nudity at the very least. That's not even the important part, the important part is remembering that whatever you put in your ecchi anime has to be interesting. Moreso than other genres Ecchi anime does not have the luxury to be carried by a complex plot or a deep message, it's the shallow stuff thats makes the show, the visuals, the music, the novelty (I mean there are examples of both coexisting, like in monogatari, but this is an extreme example). This is not a dig at ecchi anime btw, it's just being realistic about what the appeal of the genre is.

With all that in mind, what do you think the Ecchi genre could do to breathe some new life into itself? How do you make it interesting in the current climate?
May 24, 2:06 AM

May 2019
i'm betting on Mahou Shoujo with extreme ecchi.
May 24, 2:10 AM

Dec 2015
A big studio produced furry ecchi anime would literally save the anime industry.
May 24, 2:14 AM

May 2020
Reply to tchitchouan
i'm betting on Mahou Shoujo with extreme ecchi.
@tchitchouan That is a good call. Not too far off the deep end, something that could realistically happen.

@SkyfallStar I mean it would probably be a success at least
May 24, 2:40 AM

Sep 2016
All-female yuri MILFs ecchi anime.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 24, 3:00 AM
Mar 2024
To love ru remains the best ecchi show of all time. It is relaxing, creative, not too plot heavy.
May 24, 3:08 AM

May 2020
Reply to SpiderMiles3523
To love ru remains the best ecchi show of all time. It is relaxing, creative, not too plot heavy.
@SpiderMiles3523 Yes, it was actually my first ecchi anime. I was so excited for what else could be out there, and then I watched golden boy and Prison school, and I was satisfied, and then a bit after that I realized I had pretty much exhausted almost all the good ecchi anime (well, for my tastes anyway). We can't get stuck in the past man, I need to know there is a future that I can be hopeful about :(
May 24, 5:32 AM

Aug 2018
Studio Orange should start making ecchi shows. Can you imagine 3D lewd scenes in Studio Orange's style? 10/10
May 24, 6:02 AM

May 2020
Reply to Rhae
Studio Orange should start making ecchi shows. Can you imagine 3D lewd scenes in Studio Orange's style? 10/10
@Rhae I think quality is definitely part of the answer. As a genre with little to no plot ecchi really struggles when there is no budget to draw beautiful art. I think especially in the hentai sphere the quality is so bad that the works being put out are virtually amateur level (and I genuinely see independent artists produce better works).

But unfortunately "graphics" cannot save a show from mediocrity. Something like Shuumatsu harem was never going to be good even if it had amazing animation, and that show even had nudity! I think fundamentally what's really lacking in a lot of ecchi is a director that understands ecchi, and the source material also has to be right.
May 24, 6:04 AM

Feb 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
All-female yuri MILFs ecchi anime.
@Zarutaku Absolutely.

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
May 24, 3:46 PM

Jul 2013
Really? There is no next-generation (fill-in-the-blank) because we are clearly facing NTHE...

More topics from this board

» Anime with best sound tracks!?

l_Photon_l - 10 hours ago

21 by Sheol01 »»
4 minutes ago

» What seasonal anime had disappointed you over time this season?

Zakatsuki_ - 4 hours ago

39 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» The problem with most modern anime (spoilers for some series)

Ebb1993 - 11 minutes ago

0 by Ebb1993 »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » If all pirated sites were to shut down, would you be willing to pay for anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

All_Knowing - Sep 7

153 by Suntanned_Duck2 »»
15 minutes ago

» Adventure/Action Shounen with the Best and Worst ROMANCE (just the ones that even tried)

Rob7 - 2 hours ago

8 by Rob7 »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.