Forum Settings
Forums

What are your favorite urban legends? And which local ones do you know?

New
May 22, 11:50 PM

Dec 2019
Since I was a child, I've always been a huge fan of urban legends. Nowadays they're practically dead, since most of them were created and popularized back in the time in which taking a photo or video anywhere, at any time, wasn't possible. Even then, I love to discuss these, since they're a great piece of pop culture that is now dying.

My favorite urban legend is perhaps that of John Titor. It's been proven false beyond a doubt, sure, but it's still to this day one of the best to ever be fabricated, because back in its day it was rather believable, even now the way it was carried out feels authentic. Steins;Gate was also pretty much built out of that urban legend, so it makes it even better for the cultural impact it had. Another one of my favorites is a Japanese classic, the "Red Room Curse", mostly due to how early it popped up as one of the first internet-related urban legends. Lastly, I guess another one that I like, which is not much of an urban legend and more like a natural phenomenon, are the Marfa Lights, which appear on the Marfa Desert, in Arizona, and people have theorized they might be spirits or such.

As for local urban legends, in my town there's a neighborhood called something like "28 Stab Wounds". I have no idea where that name came from, but supposedly it comes from the fact that a man in the area killed his wife by stabbing her 28 times. Legend now goes that the woman is now a vengeful spirit who haunts men who walk alone through the neighborhood at night.

There's also an old castle in my town, in which a rich family lived in the 19th century. It suffered a huge fire in the early 20th century, and all that remains now are ruins. A legend goes that one of the maids who worked at said castle committed suicide by hanging from a tree nearby during a stormy day, and that she now appears on such stormy days. My cousin, who worked a food cart outside the castle some years ago, claims that during a storm he had to lock himself inside the cart with a few other people, and that said woman appeared in front of a window, leaving her hand marked on the wet window.

Also, near the aforementioned castle are the ruins of an old meat factory, which is often times used by some occultist weirdos for rituals for some reason. Sometimes, usually around October it'd seem, you might find some leftovers from said rituals, including what seems to be blood from sacrificing animals. If I recall correctly, some time ago they even found skeletonized human remains in that place.

I'd love to hear anyone's favorite legends, and even more so any local ones from your town or general area.
Pretend there's something flashy and cool here.
May 23, 12:41 AM

Aug 2018
The Blair Witch Project isn't real, sadly, but I'd like to think it's a real urban legend.

As for local urban legends... I guess... Old Changi Hospital. It's a hospital in Singapore abandoned decades ago, believed to be haunted, etc.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changi_Hospital
May 23, 1:55 AM

Feb 2020
I think my most favourite are Banshees, but I'm not of the right heritage to experience them (if they exist).

As for local urban legends, probably all the strange things that happen in Delemere forest - which isn't far from my hometown.
It's notoriously haunted and many strange things have been sighted there, including an alleged Dinosaur https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/6542-the-delamere-dinosaur/ I even have the incident in a book at home.
I've been to this forest for a classmate's birthday party too. I remember thinking the place was eerie, but didn't see any dinosaurs.
May 23, 1:58 AM

Mar 2008
This Mothman is actually really interesting. The main legend revolves around sightings of this strange humanoid bird like creature that was spotted before a deadly bridge collapse in Point Pleasant West Virginia. Some people think he was warning and others think this creature is causing disasters. This same creature has been spotted in different locations by people at least one i recall reportedly chased in flight around their car by it. There has been claims that a similar creature was spotted by Chernobyl nuclear power plant workers before the disaster.
May 23, 1:03 PM

Feb 2024
This isn't an urban legend, but I felt creeped out. The question "When was the death date of Oosugi Ren?" was posted on a Q&A website on February 14, 2018, and had been open for answers for a week. Then Oosugi Ren died on the day the question was closed, February 21. Accurately, the post mentioned, "Oosugi Ren's death day was", and it wasn't phrased as a question. It seemed to know his death.

https://jp.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/3210841/blog/3726515/
DeepL
May 23, 1:26 PM
best user ever

May 2022
Can't really remember any famous urban legends, but here's a local one:

There's an urban legend in my school about the ghost of *Insert school name* My school has this basement that I think's forbidden for students to enter and apparently back when the basement was still open, some accident happened and a kid tragically died. The basement was put off-limits, and people say they hear voices whenever they go to the door that originally led downstairs to the basement. Or at least that's what I was told a few years ago.
inspirational quote inspirational quote - karioka
▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣ ▣

May 23, 4:12 PM

Mar 2021
Never heard of the Red Room Curse before this, but it's right up my alley.

I used to watch this video series entitled "Will It Kill Me?" where this guy would try out different "ritual" games (e.g., Bloody Mary). Obviously, none of them worked as intended, but there is a certain charm to it.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

May 23, 6:03 PM

Feb 2024
I've remembered of Kuchisake Onna. She hides behind a utility pole and asks children returning home.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuchisake-onna
May 23, 7:59 PM
ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Aug 2014
The one where the guy came out of the manhole, but there was actually a whole city underground.
May 25, 11:39 PM

Mar 2019
@Rhae

I watched the Blair Witch Project again recently, and I was a little surprised at how little actually happens. I remember my older brother showing me the movie when I was pretty young and being freaked out by it XD
There was another video he showed me that was kind of similar, I think it might have been a tv series or something; but it was also like a found footage type thing. In the I think these guys were camping on some island, and ended up getting eaten by centipedes. That one freaked me out when I was younger too, and I still don't like centipedes, lol. Maybe it was called the Lost Tapes or something? I don't really remember.

As far as local legends, there's actually a kind of well known around here. I live around central Washington State, and there's a legend of a supposedly bottomless hole in the woods outside of town. 'Mel's Hole', as it's called. It received a lot of attention after Mel told the story on Art Bell's Coast to Coast AM radio show (you can find recordings of it on youtube, and if you're into that kind of thing, it's pretty entertaining in my opinion, whether it's true or not). I was pretty intrigued by the story when I was younger, and I've actually been around the area too, although I've never found anything, ha.
Jun 29, 5:30 PM
Mar 2024
Theres this outdoor activity place schools do school trips on in my country and for years theres been a rumor one of the rooms has a nun haunting it if that counts, no clue why, theres nothing religious or spooky about the place. Guess we just get bored in the countryside rofl
Jul 23, 10:43 AM
☆RetroRice☆

Oct 2023
Lost media urban legends, like the alternative rose of Versailles final episode, laputa alternative ending, Lupin lll “the viper”, etc

Really hope this counts

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eren is the king of incels

HateFearHunger - 2 minutes ago

0 by HateFearHunger »»
2 minutes ago

» Getting my cat to eat wet food?

Rivermind - 8 minutes ago

0 by Rivermind »»
8 minutes ago

» Am I the only one who doesnt like discord?

Bensku - 58 minutes ago

7 by traed »»
15 minutes ago

» Why do people abandon their friends for relationships?

Amityblight - Yesterday

25 by Zakatsuki_ »»
27 minutes ago

» What was your pooerest ever you have been?

HateFearHunger - Yesterday

14 by deg »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.