Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Mar 8, 10:14 AM

May 2021
Reply to Shidoteki
I think season 2 looks fine actually and that people are exagerating.
But the season 3 trailer worries me cuz it looks kinda worse haha
Shidoteki said:
people are exagerating.

Not they are not . They just know like I do that the studio will absolutely ruin the excitement and satisfaction for the chapters that season 3 will cover .

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Mar 8, 10:18 AM

Aug 2012
Yubisoft said:
Shidoteki said:
people are exagerating.

Not they are not . They just know like I do that the studio will absolutely ruin the excitement and satisfaction for the chapters that season 3 will cover .

No i meant they were exagerating back in season 2.
Im also worried about 3 hahaha
Mar 8, 10:25 AM

May 2021
Reply to Shidoteki
Yubisoft said:
Shidoteki said:
people are exagerating.

No i meant they were exagerating back in season 2.
Im also worried about 3 hahaha
@Shidoteki My bad then, sorry . But seriously can you blame them , the season 1 animation was literally perfect for the opm franchise

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Mar 8, 11:05 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to James-LastOmnic
The fact people mention animation has the main factor of OPM decrease in quality in its second season absolutely baffles me. I might even say animation was actually one of the better aspect of season 2 but everything else was unbearable garbage and it's one of the most incompetent script I've ever had to witness.
Second's season pacing and tone is all over the place, it goes from serious seinen drama to early 2000's shonen comedy without any transition whatsoever. It switches frenetically inbetween scenes and characters to shove as many retarded jokes as possible, starts of entirely dedicated to King, then goes to Garou, then goes to Fubuki, back to Saitama and Genos shenanigans, then other heroes doing random shit, then villain preparing their plans then back to Garou in solo, everything amounting to complete a mess feeling more like going around doing side quests in a RPG rather than following a single narrative.

Main trouble going on in second season I think as well is its fucking BLOATED cast of characters, introducing 2 probably 3 main antagonistq for a single arc which obviously wouldn't have led to any conclusion in a 12ep cour as it did. First is Orochi which is basically teased as another Boros sending goons to do bullshit but does not serve any purpose, second is Garou, arguably only real antagonist of this season but also one of the most badly executed good concept I've seen, treated as both a joke and a threat without any nuance whatsoever, and last and SURELY least Suiryu, complete parody of a rival character with the most predictable outcome possible, also only relevant for like 3 episodes. All of this without mentionning the ENDLESS amount of monster goons and side heroes given a spotlight for no reason and with some of them having weirdly way more screentime than they should compared to the little but compelling screentime they got in season1, referring to the likes of Metal Bat and Sweet Mask.

Plot basically goes nowhere, starts of as a comedy slice-of-life intersected with the most basic action shonen bad guy sequences, then suddenly a tournament arc which Saitama takes part in as if the joke wasn't already over the first second we realized how obvious the outcome would be, tournament arc with the most boring convoluted fights imaginable btw, and finally and All-Out-War bad guy invasion arc similar to Naruto's Pain Arc or DBZ Cyborg Saga. This amalgation of different subplots, character arcs and action scenes overall leads to a complete loss of every core themes in OPM first season. I wouldn't say OPM was supposed to be a "deconstruction" of the shonen tropes, I'd rather think it was more of a "celebration" of shonen tropes, all of that packaged in an very clever parody which would never fall in any of the clichés shonen usually have.
Season Two on the other hand is an absolute joke, as I said it has everything medicore shonen arcs possess and even more, bloated cast of characters without enough time given to anyone to flesh them out, action scenes only for the purpose of action scenes even if it's just to see pathetic goons get demolished, bad guys with sad backstories overtaking the entire runime, an absurd romance subplot ??? thrown into the mixture and obviously the most abborhent pacing reminscing of the darkest hours of long running shonen jump mangas.

I could honestly rant for hours how fucking dogshit this season 2 is and how much I have not a single hope this third season to be good, don't think I will even bother to watch it, feel free to argue because I already got annoyed by writing this much about such pointless garbage.
@James-LastOmnic

First, argument about script being bad, because it didn't have conclusion is pure nonsense. Because of viewers like you a lot of older titles suffered from anime original endings, instead of being left in the middle of the arc and getting logical continuation later. Anime is based on manga, and yes, sometimes manga has a very long arc that can't be adapted in just 12 episodes, but it doesn't make adapted material worse.

Second, Orochi. Why the hell you count him as antagonist, if you yourself point out that he doesn't do anything this season? He is set up for future events, and he is not antagonist in season 2.

Third, some heroes given way more screentime than compared to the little but compelling screentime they got in season 1, referring to the likes of Metal Bat and Sweet Mask. That's just false. Sweet Mask has less screentime in season 2, compared to season 1. In case with Metal Bat, most of his screentime includes him trying to protect sponsors of Hero Association, but failing to protect rich kid. And this hostage is essential for the conflict and plans of Monster Association.

Fourth, "action scenes only for the purpose of action scenes". Ironic. You praise season 1, despite it using action scenes no differently from season 2. In most cases action here is used to show some character's strength: Like Deep Sea King vs Lightning Max or Speed-o-sound Sonic vs Paradise group. And to move plot forward or give them characterisation: Metal Bat not being able to protect rich kid, Garou fighting Death Gatling's squad.

Fifth, bad guys with sad backstories overtaking the entire runime. There are no bad guys with sad backstories, besides Garou, who is for once a deep character, than lord Boros or Carnage Kabuto, from season 1.

Six, an absurd romance subplot. There is no romance subplot in season 2.

Conclusion: Even though J.C. Staff obviously didn't do source material or story justice, you comment only shows that you failed as a viewer to comprehend the story. The last your point about "romantic subplot" especially shows that you payed zero attention to what's going on.
Belin_TMar 8, 12:00 PM
Mar 8, 11:30 AM

Aug 2012
Yubisoft said:
@Shidoteki My bad then, sorry . But seriously can you blame them , the season 1 animation was literally perfect for the opm franchise

Well I just think people were way too harsh.
I know season 1 was peak but im happy with stuff thats good, season 2 was pretty good.
When i found out it wasnt madhouse anymore I already expected it to lose a lot of quality hahaha
Madhouse is top tier
Mar 9, 8:39 AM

Aug 2018
Reply to Belin_T
@James-LastOmnic

First, argument about script being bad, because it didn't have conclusion is pure nonsense. Because of viewers like you a lot of older titles suffered from anime original endings, instead of being left in the middle of the arc and getting logical continuation later. Anime is based on manga, and yes, sometimes manga has a very long arc that can't be adapted in just 12 episodes, but it doesn't make adapted material worse.

Second, Orochi. Why the hell you count him as antagonist, if you yourself point out that he doesn't do anything this season? He is set up for future events, and he is not antagonist in season 2.

Third, some heroes given way more screentime than compared to the little but compelling screentime they got in season 1, referring to the likes of Metal Bat and Sweet Mask. That's just false. Sweet Mask has less screentime in season 2, compared to season 1. In case with Metal Bat, most of his screentime includes him trying to protect sponsors of Hero Association, but failing to protect rich kid. And this hostage is essential for the conflict and plans of Monster Association.

Fourth, "action scenes only for the purpose of action scenes". Ironic. You praise season 1, despite it using action scenes no differently from season 2. In most cases action here is used to show some character's strength: Like Deep Sea King vs Lightning Max or Speed-o-sound Sonic vs Paradise group. And to move plot forward or give them characterisation: Metal Bat not being able to protect rich kid, Garou fighting Death Gatling's squad.

Fifth, bad guys with sad backstories overtaking the entire runime. There are no bad guys with sad backstories, besides Garou, who is for once a deep character, than lord Boros or Carnage Kabuto, from season 1.

Conclusion: Even though J.C. Staff obviously didn't do source material or story justice, you comment only shows that you failed as a viewer to comprehend the story. The last your point about "romantic subplot" especially shows that you payed zero attention to what's going on.
@Belin_T
Nice argument but I frankly disagree with all of it but one lmao.

Belin_T said:

Absolutely ridiculous take literally contradicted by the first season itself. Season 1 concludes in the middle of an ongoing story and yet manages to be both extremely climatic and rewarding for the viewers and a proper conclusion for the season as a whole. Season 2 ends with Saitama punching a big snake, it doesn't matter if it's because the arc continues afterward, if it's a bad conclusion, it remains a bad conclusion, as it resolved not a single plot point instigated previously, meanwhile Boros fight tied everything up together everything in s1. It's a cognitive bias to think that what happen next in the story would excuse the negative points of that second season.

Belin_T said:

Why give this much focus on a character which doesn't serve any purpose for this season then ? Orochi is literally a bait and switch, the directing makes anyone believe he would be the main antagonist of that season but it doesn't end up being the case. Once again, him being important later doesn't justify the fact that he is unimportant and thus, a waste of time, time which would have been better allocated to other characters like Suiryu.

Belin_T said:

As I might be remember things wrongly because I recall a whole big ass segment with Metal Bat and his sister for 15 minutes or other boring shit I give you this one as being true also I don't want to watch this shitfest ever again to verify it.

Belin_T said:

Literally EVERY.SINGLE.FIGHT in season 1 has purpose, it's personally one my most beloved aspect of OPM season1, how every single action scenes tells a story within it. Either to do establish a character as in the whole of ep1, do a comedy parallel with Mosquito Girl, displaying the true purpose of heroism as Genos/Mumen Rider against Sea King, or simply to demonstrate the absurd gap between Saitama and his peers with Genos VS Saitama.
On the other hand almost every action scenes in season 2 are pointless, every single heroes Garou eliminates/fight is just for establishing his threat and nothing else, which becomes irrelevant for every times he's on screen after that Tanktop fight. The tournament arc is the EMBODIMENT of this as all of these fights serves absolutely no purpose but filling time before Suiryu, which the purpose of I find also boring and pointless. Most season1 fights were focusing on a "monster of the week" formula with 1 main antagonist per episode to beat which tells the episode metaphor/parody, and most fights in s2 are just beating cannon fodders. Saying those two are similar is mindbogging but alright.

Belin_T said:

This is the funniest one because I know for a fact Garou fanboys are RAMPANT on the Internet convincing themselves Garou is a deep character even though he's treated as a complete joke the entire runtime. Garou, in concept, is really interesting, a individual who questions the idea of justice and morality, as of why would the hero always win against the villain if the villain is as much convinced in his ideals as the hero is. In a twisted way, Garou takes admiration and pity towards the villain and then sees himself as the ultimate underdog in his story of which the heroes are his villains.
That's in concept because in execution he's just a stupid edgelord who just wants to kill heroes because he has some kind of daddy issue with Bang and a huge inferioty complex towards people thinking he's weak. The attemps of building him as some sort of an anti-hero and also an anti-Saitama completely fall flat the two times Saitama just wash him in seconds without even noticing him, he's more of a joke than a threat, a shame for a supposed rival which also "fly away" during the final episode.
What you don't get is bad guys in season 1 HAD NO BACKSTORIES, it was literally the point of the show, most of them are just monsters or deviant humans. It is in the core of OPM subtext that the ennemies Saitama beats represent almost nothing to him, this is exposed several times throughout episode 1 brilliantly. First with the giant mutant who's given a lot of emotional monologues, only for Saitama to completely stops him in a punch with no care, of the car monster later in the episode, who ramble his backstory in the background meanwhile Saitama does not even listen to him. Saitama's entire character is centered about this lack of care towards people's upbringing, in his mindset, anyone has a story justifying their actions anyway so he doesn't see why would you make a big deal about it anyway. The whole world of OPM is treated as a having no stakes, cities gets destroyed entirely then rebuilt without even questionning, trying to include a sense of down to earth human backstories in it is nonsense.

Belin_T said:

Every single nanoseconds given towards Fubuki gushing about Saitama is for me, a waste of my fucking time for something I don't find even the SLIGHTEST INTEREST AT ALL considering I know for sure the only purpose of it is boring one side comedy. So yes a romantic subplot, subplot as in subpar, subpar as in dogshit.

No one will ever convince me this season 2 of OPM was nothing more than utter garbage and it's impact onto the industry confirmed it for me as the hype for this season 3 is virtually unexistent especially for the colossus that is OPM as a franchise.
Mar 10, 10:59 AM
Feb 2021
Reply to James-LastOmnic
@Belin_T
Nice argument but I frankly disagree with all of it but one lmao.

Belin_T said:

Absolutely ridiculous take literally contradicted by the first season itself. Season 1 concludes in the middle of an ongoing story and yet manages to be both extremely climatic and rewarding for the viewers and a proper conclusion for the season as a whole. Season 2 ends with Saitama punching a big snake, it doesn't matter if it's because the arc continues afterward, if it's a bad conclusion, it remains a bad conclusion, as it resolved not a single plot point instigated previously, meanwhile Boros fight tied everything up together everything in s1. It's a cognitive bias to think that what happen next in the story would excuse the negative points of that second season.

Belin_T said:

Why give this much focus on a character which doesn't serve any purpose for this season then ? Orochi is literally a bait and switch, the directing makes anyone believe he would be the main antagonist of that season but it doesn't end up being the case. Once again, him being important later doesn't justify the fact that he is unimportant and thus, a waste of time, time which would have been better allocated to other characters like Suiryu.

Belin_T said:

As I might be remember things wrongly because I recall a whole big ass segment with Metal Bat and his sister for 15 minutes or other boring shit I give you this one as being true also I don't want to watch this shitfest ever again to verify it.

Belin_T said:

Literally EVERY.SINGLE.FIGHT in season 1 has purpose, it's personally one my most beloved aspect of OPM season1, how every single action scenes tells a story within it. Either to do establish a character as in the whole of ep1, do a comedy parallel with Mosquito Girl, displaying the true purpose of heroism as Genos/Mumen Rider against Sea King, or simply to demonstrate the absurd gap between Saitama and his peers with Genos VS Saitama.
On the other hand almost every action scenes in season 2 are pointless, every single heroes Garou eliminates/fight is just for establishing his threat and nothing else, which becomes irrelevant for every times he's on screen after that Tanktop fight. The tournament arc is the EMBODIMENT of this as all of these fights serves absolutely no purpose but filling time before Suiryu, which the purpose of I find also boring and pointless. Most season1 fights were focusing on a "monster of the week" formula with 1 main antagonist per episode to beat which tells the episode metaphor/parody, and most fights in s2 are just beating cannon fodders. Saying those two are similar is mindbogging but alright.

Belin_T said:

This is the funniest one because I know for a fact Garou fanboys are RAMPANT on the Internet convincing themselves Garou is a deep character even though he's treated as a complete joke the entire runtime. Garou, in concept, is really interesting, a individual who questions the idea of justice and morality, as of why would the hero always win against the villain if the villain is as much convinced in his ideals as the hero is. In a twisted way, Garou takes admiration and pity towards the villain and then sees himself as the ultimate underdog in his story of which the heroes are his villains.
That's in concept because in execution he's just a stupid edgelord who just wants to kill heroes because he has some kind of daddy issue with Bang and a huge inferioty complex towards people thinking he's weak. The attemps of building him as some sort of an anti-hero and also an anti-Saitama completely fall flat the two times Saitama just wash him in seconds without even noticing him, he's more of a joke than a threat, a shame for a supposed rival which also "fly away" during the final episode.
What you don't get is bad guys in season 1 HAD NO BACKSTORIES, it was literally the point of the show, most of them are just monsters or deviant humans. It is in the core of OPM subtext that the ennemies Saitama beats represent almost nothing to him, this is exposed several times throughout episode 1 brilliantly. First with the giant mutant who's given a lot of emotional monologues, only for Saitama to completely stops him in a punch with no care, of the car monster later in the episode, who ramble his backstory in the background meanwhile Saitama does not even listen to him. Saitama's entire character is centered about this lack of care towards people's upbringing, in his mindset, anyone has a story justifying their actions anyway so he doesn't see why would you make a big deal about it anyway. The whole world of OPM is treated as a having no stakes, cities gets destroyed entirely then rebuilt without even questionning, trying to include a sense of down to earth human backstories in it is nonsense.

Belin_T said:

Every single nanoseconds given towards Fubuki gushing about Saitama is for me, a waste of my fucking time for something I don't find even the SLIGHTEST INTEREST AT ALL considering I know for sure the only purpose of it is boring one side comedy. So yes a romantic subplot, subplot as in subpar, subpar as in dogshit.

No one will ever convince me this season 2 of OPM was nothing more than utter garbage and it's impact onto the industry confirmed it for me as the hype for this season 3 is virtually unexistent especially for the colossus that is OPM as a franchise.
@James-LastOmnic So many fundemental missunderstandings. Had to ignore half, just to not make this post even longer.

Every single nanoseconds given towards Fubuki gushing about Saitama is for me, a waste of my fucking time

Once again, you invented this whole subplot in your head. Fubuki doesn't not fall love for Saitama neither in this season, neither in nay material in the future. She indeed gushed at first about Saitama, because of how strong he is, similarly to how Genos gushed in the past about how strong Saitama is.

James-LastOmnic said:
It is in the core of OPM subtext that the enemies Saitama beats represent almost nothing to him, this is exposed several times throughout episode 1 brilliantly. aitama's entire character is centered about this lack of care towards people's upbringing.

First, I completely forgot about it, but you wrong again. Season 1 did show in great detail Genus's past, villain from season 1. That flashback maybe be not as long as Garou's ones, but Genus wasn't a prime antagonist as well.

Also Garou is no different from monsters, he represents nothing to Saitama, with Caped Baldy even beating him twice by accident. And if you didn't notice Garou's backstory is shown for the viewers specifically. He doesn't tell it to his opponents, neither other characters discuss it. (Umlike with Genus).

James-LastOmnic said:
The whole world of OPM is treated as a having no stakes, cities gets destroyed entirely then rebuilt without even questionning

Season 1 literally ends with city A being so heavily damaged by Boros that it was never rebuilt and instead new Hero Association's base was built. And anime literally has shown memorial with names of all people, who died.

James-LastOmnic said:
That's in concept because in execution he's just a stupid edgelord who just wants to kill heroes because he has some kind of daddy issue with Bang and a huge inferioty complex towards people thinking he's weak.

Once again you just show that you didn't pay attention. Show and characters specifically points out that despite Garou's words he doesn't actually kill people, even when he has an opportunity to do so. No wonder you also somehow came up with "him havving daddy issues".

James-LastOmnic said:
Absolutely ridiculous take literally contradicted by the first season itself. Season 1 concludes in the middle of an ongoing story and yet manages to be both extremely climatic and rewarding for the viewers and a proper conclusion for the season as a whole.

Season 1 didn't have deep overraching story. Boros by the end just randomly showes up, just like all monsters prior. It doesn't tie up everything or even most events. Saitama still didn't achieve his goal of getting a proper fight. His strength is not recognised and he is not S class hero. And we literally got introduced to 8+ new S heroes in the last 3 episodes, who didn't do anything significant.

Seems like you still can't comprehand it. Season's 2 situation is no different from movie Dune, which had to end with most plot threads still in the air, because orignal material just couldn't be adapted in one movie.

James-LastOmnic said:
Orochi is literally a bait and switch, the directing makes anyone believe he would be the main antagonist of that season but it doesn't end up being the case.

That's not what bait and switch means. Orochi is set up to be big antagonist and he will be one, just in the next season.
Mar 11, 6:49 AM
Feb 2023
Reply to Leon888
@Anime_Skaddiel What's this bullshit? In fact, Frieren is very poorly animated 🤣
@Leon888 you're seriously not calling frieren's animation is bad right? Is that some kind of a joke?
Mar 16, 4:32 PM

Feb 2010
JC staff ruins a ton of anime and they didn't do a good job with one punch man either.

@Hachii13 toaru adaptation was a disaster wtf you talking about?

it suffers form so much cut content season 3 being the worst offender. sakurasou pet is basically a original anime with how little it touched the actual source material.

danmachi also suffers from a butt ton of cut content.

only reason railgun and toradora weren't a complete mess was they had there ONE competent team work on both of them.

also shakugan no shana also was another disaster.
GrimAtramentMar 16, 4:37 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Mar 17, 6:02 AM
Feb 2021
Season 2 was good. not bad at all. it has some flaws but i think J.C staff will handle it
Mar 18, 8:21 AM

Dec 2014
Not me.

Saying it's good because S1 was simply soooo much better is also not a good defense if anyone wants to make that point.
By doing that you are literally accepting that S2 was not good.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Hero Visual #4 Fubuki

OvergrownRover - Jun 6

16 by Ain2Zwei »»
Today, 12:38 AM

» animation... ( 1 2 3 )

monke_guy - Mar 7

100 by Yubisoft »»
Yesterday, 7:31 AM

» God-level animations?

Leon888 - Apr 18

22 by removed-user »»
Jun 2, 4:47 AM

» Butchered Adaptation, No Hope.

Okeanix - Feb 29

41 by Jokuc »»
May 24, 8:52 PM

» Season 3 Director

BLACKANGER - Feb 29

25 by todd2580 »»
May 21, 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.