Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 12, 2023 1:30 AM
Apr 2018
Issax28 said:
ErogakiPatches said:

I think you do not understand what the show is supposed to be about.

It is not about the mwchas, it is not about the world, it is not about the war, it is about the characters and their mental traumas. The director had depression really bad when he created this, and it shows quite a lot.

You can go watch the films, though, as they have more to do with the lore and world building rather than the characters.

Tl;Dr NGE is a character study, not a mecha show.

Mental trauma is the most boring overused trope to make shows look “deep”

Sure, maybe it’s just my opinion.

But just because a show’s focus is on characters, it doesn’t mean they should just be able to get away with writing a shit story that was unanswered with many plotholes

"Overused trope" Evangelion 1995. There's tons of shows that came after and did worse than Evangelion did. And yes indeed, it's your opinion. Not others, YOURS. To be completely honest this show wasn't intended to receive such an impact as it did, the whole identity of this anime is how focused on characters. Of course they can get away with not answering all your questions. They can and they did, because that's not the focus.
Sep 12, 2023 1:52 AM
Dec 2016
Issax28 said:
SoulessAnime said:

you're the type of guy to watch perfect blue and complain that you couldn't tell what was going on😭

I guess you don't like psychological shows, it's not any more overdone than "Mecha" genre. especially in 1995. Having a confusing world when the focus is on the characters doesn't mean it's bad writing unless the characters and actions are poorly written. Again refer to Perfect Blue, or Enemy. If those are too confusing to you since they aren't physical enough with enough certain lore than that is just a preference issue not a writing issue

“Having a confusing world doesn’t mean it’s bad writing”

LMAO are you even reading what you’re typing?

Having Characters that are “deep” according to you still doesn’t excuse the fact that the whole story is poorly written and not even explained properly.

Based on your logic you might as well just watch a screaming/trauma dumping compilation of the characters since you claim the world building and plot isn’t important

Many of the greatest films of all time didn't spoonfeed their audience either. Most of Kubrick's, Tarkovsky's, Bergman's, Bunuel's & Lynch's works are examples.

Evangelion, especially towards the end (& including the excellent movie : End of Evangelion) is just the anime equivalent of that type of film. This is probably also the reason why 'End of Evangelion' & Satoshi Kon's 'Perfect Blue' are both on Letterboxd's Top 50 highest rated movies of all time list.
Sep 12, 2023 4:02 AM
Oct 2020
Pain_The_Kami said:
@Paharo05
You just like simple shows, and that's not bad, but don't pretend that your taste being different makes one of the best pieces of fiction of all times trash

Say the guy who didn't watch Texnolyze, Ergo Proxy and Serial Experiment Lain which in my opinion are top 3 psychological anime.

And yes NGE sucks, is full of cringe every episode.

Eva it's still better than those three though.
TheFirstHunterSep 12, 2023 4:05 AM
Sep 12, 2023 4:37 AM
Jan 2021
The lore isn’t actually the important stuff so the plotholes aren’t a big deal
Sep 12, 2023 5:32 AM
Aug 2023
Yea the show doesn't explain and it gets confusing but it's not bad.
Sep 12, 2023 7:19 AM

Dec 2021
ErogakiPatches said:
@Chronon I had a friend who said that NGE was a bad mecha anime. Had to explain to him that it was not a mecha anime and was a subversion of the mecha genre, the same way that Madoka Magica is a subversion of the magical shoujo genre.

Relatable. I had a hard time explaining Madoka is not what it seems to look like.

In some cases you can't really blame them as the covering becomes is so well built the main theme remains unnoticed. Tho I believe the main aspects are very obvious in NGE or Madoka. The later is ofter ignored due to some stereotypical over-generalisations.

"𝑰𝒇 π’‚π’π’šπ’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ, 𝑰 π’˜π’‚π’π’• 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 π’”π’π’Žπ’†π’π’π’† π’˜π’‰π’ π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’˜π’‚π’π’•π’” 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 π’Œπ’π’π’˜π’” π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• 𝒔𝒉𝒆 π’π’Šπ’Œπ’†π’”, 𝑰 π’ˆπ’–π’†π’”π’”?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 〇────── 4:47
β†Ί |◁ II β–·| β™‘

Sep 12, 2023 8:44 AM
Degenerate Queen

Jan 2022
Chronon said:
ErogakiPatches said:
@Chronon I had a friend who said that NGE was a bad mecha anime. Had to explain to him that it was not a mecha anime and was a subversion of the mecha genre, the same way that Madoka Magica is a subversion of the magical shoujo genre.

Relatable. I had a hard time explaining Madoka is not what it seems to look like.

In some cases you can't really blame them as the covering becomes is so well built the main theme remains unnoticed. Tho I believe the main aspects are very obvious in NGE or Madoka. The later is ofter ignored due to some stereotypical over-generalisations.

Agreed.

Now I suggest we both be off before the mods show up since this thread has now invited all the other children and is likely to get locked very soon.
Sep 12, 2023 12:48 PM

Jun 2021
You cooked with this one
Sep 12, 2023 12:55 PM

Jun 2015
It already lived up to its potential by portraying its intended theme. If it was trying to explain its lore and explore the angels, the war against them etc. then it wouldn't have lived up to its potential. But that's not what it's trying to achieve, so there's no "potential" to be reached regarding this. It's a psychological, character-based story, and it handles the themes it wanted to show very well, so its potential was fulfilled.
Sep 12, 2023 12:57 PM

Aug 2019
The character trauma and angsty aspects were always the main point of the series though. All the rest of the stuff was just decoration to make the series more mainstream.
Sep 12, 2023 3:10 PM
Mar 2021
Issax28 said:
But instead of focusing and explaining their lore which was actually interesting, they decided to leave plotholes unanswered and made a boring ass compilation of Teenagers screaming about their mommy issues and insecurities with constant flashbangs

Makes 0 fucking sense that you needed to search up the lore and the show doesn’t tell you anything

I’m ngl, I heavily enjoyed Evangelion but I totally understand what you’re saying. Surprises me the amount of people in denial about the lack of explanation lol
Sep 12, 2023 3:56 PM

Mar 2023
Definitely met that potential it had. It's understandable because for a lot of media you're used to not having to use your brain while watching something and that works a little worse for this compared to other stuff.
I was recently watching Tengoku Daimakyou and it took me a few episode to realize that I have to use my brain to figure out what's going on and I won't be spoon-fed every single detail like in most 'popular' media and it was better for it, ofcourse it was.

If you don't use your brain and pretend like it's an action show NGE will be confusing, otherwise you'll have a better time
Sep 12, 2023 4:00 PM
Dec 2021
Totally agreed , plot really fucked up after half anime
Sep 12, 2023 5:03 PM
Mar 2021
Issax28 said:
But instead of focusing and explaining their lore which was actually interesting, they decided to leave plotholes unanswered and made a boring ass compilation of Teenagers screaming about their mommy issues and insecurities with constant flashbangs

Makes 0 fucking sense that you needed to search up the lore and the show doesn’t tell you anything

I mean first off they did explain a fair amount of lore, but also you have to be fair. This anime is really abstract so it forces you the viewer to interpret it, a lot of the aspects of the plot are not thoroughly explained in part because they are abstract concepts: Not to say that you should give everything a pass, but I wouldn’t consider Eva to be the same kind of work as like a more drama heavy series like Death Note or AOT where you should consider plot holes and inconsistencies in it’s narrative more seriously, in truth people should enjoy different works in different ways and find a fair balance between watching Logically and Emotionally.
Sep 12, 2023 9:53 PM

Jul 2019
SoulessAnime said:
Issax28 said:

Mental trauma is the most boring overused trope to make shows look “deep”

Sure, maybe it’s just my opinion.

But just because a show’s focus is on characters, it doesn’t mean they should just be able to get away with writing a shit story that was unanswered with many plotholes

you're the type of guy to watch perfect blue and complain that you couldn't tell what was going on😭

I guess you don't like psychological shows, it's not any more overdone than "Mecha" genre. especially in 1995. Having a confusing world when the focus is on the characters doesn't mean it's bad writing unless the characters and actions are poorly written. Again refer to Perfect Blue, or Enemy. If those are too confusing to you since they aren't physical enough with enough certain lore than that is just a preference issue not a writing issue

This is the best response I've read to someone respinding this way. Kudos!

what is life without a little strange ?

Sep 13, 2023 4:29 AM
Aug 2021
You rated 9 Shinkai's movies and you're talking about plot holes, lol
Sep 13, 2023 7:10 AM
Aug 2021
Issax28 said:

"Tell you missed the point of Evangellion without telling me you missed the point of Evangellion..."
Sep 13, 2023 7:31 AM

Feb 2021
Issax28 said:
SoulessAnime said:

“Having a confusing world doesn’t mean it’s bad writing”

LMAO are you even reading what you’re typing?

Having Characters that are “deep” according to you still doesn’t excuse the fact that the whole story is poorly written and not even explained properly.

Based on your logic you might as well just watch a screaming/trauma dumping compilation of the characters since you claim the world building and plot isn’t important

I do actually agree with this troll on this one. The show has quite a repetitive and unfavorable plot… which drags down the quality of the show for me. That said, the psychological aspect of the show was done exceptionally well, which definitely made the show great.
Sep 13, 2023 12:50 PM
Jun 2023
Read between the lines, you'll find what you're looking for, son
Sep 13, 2023 3:45 PM
Mar 2022
bro doesn't understand that it wasn't about the mechs or the angels πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
Sep 13, 2023 3:47 PM
Feb 2022
While I enjoyed the show, I'm with OP in that it comes off as "deep" by being confusing and nonsensical at the end. It wasn't a bad show, but LSD trips don't actually give you insight.

The characters were well written, but it's possible to have good plot, world building, AND characters. Granted, good characters can compensate, which is why it was a gripping show. But that doesn't mean it isn't overrated.
Sep 13, 2023 6:29 PM
Mar 2022
Godfather: This movie had potential
Sep 14, 2023 8:46 AM
Jul 2018
No, it makes 0 sense that you needed to search up the lore. I didn't need to because I watched the show.
Sep 15, 2023 9:35 AM
Mar 2017
Personally my opinion on this show is probably a bit controversial, as compared to other people here.

I actually enjoyed shows like Perfect Blue, Lain and many similar shows.
Though I somewhat enjoyed it, this one didn't hit as well for me, as compared to others in a similar category.
I can't even explain why exactly, just how I feel.
HelmjolkSep 15, 2023 9:58 AM
Sep 15, 2023 11:46 AM
Apr 2020
bruh what the heeellll omagad no waeyyyayay
Sep 25, 2023 3:03 PM
suii

Dec 2018
Reply to TheBirdOfHermes_
bro doesn't understand that it wasn't about the mechs or the angels πŸ’€πŸ’€πŸ’€
@TheBirdOfHermes_ they may be a metahaphor and plot-vehicle for something but thats the exent of it. its not a simple, war, good vs evil story to most people
Sep 25, 2023 3:05 PM
Mar 2022
evangelionfan said:
@TheBirdOfHermes_ they may be a metahaphor and plot-vehicle for something but thats the exent of it. its not a simple, war, good vs evil story to most people

omedatou!β €β €β €
Oct 2, 2023 8:58 AM
Jan 2021
The same guy who wasn't intrested after episode 13.
Ok.
TO EXCEL IS TO FAIL
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

CitizenGeek - Mar 2, 2008

216 by acespanol »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

then - Feb 6, 2008

198 by acespanol »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

then - Feb 6, 2008

270 by acespanol »»
4 hours ago

» Appropriate for Christians?

264354287 - Feb 4, 2015

18 by NoviSun »»
Today, 2:58 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

75 by Kyubey89 »»
Jun 10, 2:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.