Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2023 7:18 PM

Dec 2021

"Return of Eiji Mishima" 『帰ってきた 三島栄司』

God damn we got a lot to unpack here. Mishima clearly ain't doing too well. With absolutely nothing to go off of besides what I already know, I'm placing my bets on one of these three things being the problem. It's either untreated tuberculosis, cancer, or some sort of organ damage that happened during his time at prison. Either way, he's gonna die... though I've made incorrect guesses before, so maybe he'll be fine?

Anyway, that sparring was fucking intense! God damn he's a scary fucking sparring partner! This was an amazing episode.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Jun 14, 2023 9:05 AM

Apr 2016
Hi, I saw you recently made reviews of Ganbare Genki episodes...
May I ask how did you manage to watch it?
I've been looking to rewatch this show for 20 years, I watched it as a kid and it has a special place in my heart, but was never able to find a dvd or digital copy...!
Thank you for the subtitles btw

You can add friend / DM me if necessary

Jun 14, 2023 9:14 AM

Dec 2021
Radical_Orion said:
Hi, I saw you recently made reviews of Ganbare Genki episodes...
May I ask how did you manage to watch it?
I've been looking to rewatch this show for 20 years, I watched it as a kid and it has a special place in my heart, but was never able to find a dvd or digital copy...!
Thank you for the subtitles btw

You can add friend / DM me if necessary

In the spoiler bit, that's labeled preamble, that has all the instructions for how I'm currently watching this, including the subtitles I made for my first watchthrough of the episode in question, and all of the tools I used to make the subtitles. When I'm done with the series, I'll try to cobble together some much better subtitles, and release them all in a single forum thread. Unfortunately, nothing new has come out in any official/fansub sense, it's just that technology has advanced enough that I can just look at a raw-only anime, and say "Fuck it, I'll do it myself." I've tried to include the rough subtitles I've watched each episode with in the preamble section of every forum post I've made so far, but my methods have definitely improved as I've watched more of this series, so I'd recommend holding off a bit, at least until I can redo the first five episodes.

By the way, the "raws" I'm using are the the ones that have the Japanese audio, as well as the Italian dub audio. I can't link into the raws, since that would go against MAL TOS, but absolutely, this anime is the second best boxing anime I've ever seen, next to Ashita no Joe.

EDIT: Holy shit, somebody's actually putting out REAL fansubs! Check your DM's.
Daviljoe193Jun 14, 2023 9:22 AM
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
Jun 14, 2023 9:49 AM

Apr 2016
Daviljoe193 said:
In the spoiler bit, that's labeled preamble, that has all the instructions for how I'm currently watching this, including the subtitles I made for my first watchthrough of the episode in question, and all of the tools I used to make the subtitles. When I'm done with the series, I'll try to cobble together some much better subtitles, and release them all in a single forum thread. Unfortunately, nothing new has come out in any official/fansub sense, it's just that technology has advanced enough that I can just look at a raw-only anime, and say "Fuck it, I'll do it myself." I've tried to include the rough subtitles I've watched each episode with in the preamble section of every forum post I've made so far, but my methods have definitely improved as I've watched more of this series, so I'd recommend holding off a bit, at least until I can redo the first five episodes.

By the way, the "raws" I'm using are the the ones that have the Japanese audio, as well as the Italian dub audio. I can't link into the raws, since that would go against MAL TOS, but absolutely, this anime is the second best boxing anime I've ever seen, next to Ashita no Joe.

So it's your first time watching? That's pretty amazing that you liked it.
I thought I was the only one to remember this anime just because of nostalgia, but it's great to see that the drama and late 70s Japan setting still has its effect on new eyes.

I'm definitely looking forward to your more refined subs, even though your method is already pretty smart and seems to work fine.
I hope more boxing anime fans discover this forgotten hidden gem thanks to your work!
Jun 14, 2023 10:11 AM

Dec 2021
Radical_Orion said:
Daviljoe193 said:

So it's your first time watching? That's pretty amazing that you liked it.
I thought I was the only one to remember this anime just because of nostalgia, but it's great to see that the drama and late 70s Japan setting still has its effect on new eyes.

I'm definitely looking forward to your more refined subs, even though your method is already pretty smart and seems to work fine.
I hope more boxing anime fans discover this forgotten hidden gem thanks to your work!

This anime is currently the only unsubbed anime to be on my top 10 favorites, so I'd say it's leaving an incredible first impression on me. I'm also currently attempting to give one of the mangaka's other works the same "No subs, watch anyway" treatment, Oi! Ryoma. Only 5 episodes into that anime so far, but it's clear that the mangaka is really good at making some really good stuff. Hell, I might even check out their latest boxing manga from 2014, if I can figure out a good workflow for translating manga.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ganbare Genki Episode 25 Discussion

Daviljoe193 - Nov 27, 2023

0 by Daviljoe193 »»
Nov 27, 2023 6:54 AM

Poll: » Ganbare Genki Episode 23 Discussion

Daviljoe193 - Jun 1, 2023

0 by Daviljoe193 »»
Jun 1, 2023 6:38 PM

Poll: » Ganbare Genki Episode 22 Discussion

0 by Daviljoe193 »»
Jun 1, 2023 5:53 PM

Poll: » Ganbare Genki Episode 21 Discussion

0 by Daviljoe193 »»
Jun 1, 2023 3:27 PM

Poll: » Ganbare Genki Episode 20 Discussion

0 by Daviljoe193 »»
Jun 1, 2023 2:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.