Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 16, 2022 1:17 AM

Feb 2016
where is beefbowl. the cow ended up alive.
jariten at least was mentioned. the second part wasnt as dark as the old one. and it feels sloppy jumping between contrasts of background moodness. pretty average 5/10.
E2semblerDec 16, 2022 1:30 AM
Dec 16, 2022 2:02 AM
Jul 2019
personally i would expect a war between Lum's mother and Mendo's mother but felt a bit disappointed
Dec 16, 2022 2:54 AM
Nov 2020
This was a really nice episode. It was nice to see Ataru feeling the loss over Lum’s disappearance. Hopefully this will bring them closer together.
Dec 16, 2022 5:00 AM
Sep 2021
Wholesome
Lovely
Thrilling

this is one of those eps which changes the anime
Dec 16, 2022 5:18 AM

Oct 2016
Things are probably gonna go back to normal, but it was still nice to see Ataru like that, you fucking tsun, it was a pretty adorable second half.

First half was pretty funny though, we finally got to meet Mama Lum.
Dec 16, 2022 5:26 AM

Mar 2012
Looks like on top of being a womanizer Ataru is also a masochist, why is he sad when the slutty abusive Pikachu bitch is out of the way. Hated this episode 1/5.
Dec 16, 2022 7:57 AM
Sep 2021
Really the 1st part was funny and the 2nd one with the emotional part made this episode good.
I give it 7/10.
Dec 16, 2022 9:40 AM

Feb 2017
i found it wholesome that ataru was walking around with the lum doll in his pocket,, and the scene of him crying in bed was kinda heartbreaking. really impressed with the second half of this episode

placeholder text
Dec 16, 2022 9:51 AM

Jul 2021
best episode till now. ataru finally realised how much he's actually used to being lum around him. ataru crying got me teary-eyed too lol. man needed a reminder of how blessed he is to have a girl like lum with him.

these mc's moms for some reason are even hotter than the mc themselves. lum's mom >>>>>>> lum.

great episode overall. the comedic moments were nice as well.

5/5.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Dec 16, 2022 11:41 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
the parents day were cool!!
kekeke
Dec 16, 2022 12:28 PM
Oct 2016
Urusei Yatsura can bring in the punch when it comes to the storytelling when it wants to. I think it truly is a story evolving overtime. Yeah it needs a bit of patience but with episodes like this (10) in betwen, It's totally worth it. I think making the protagonis dislikable in the beginning and then growing him as a person is so cool and gives him a lot of unique personality.
Dec 16, 2022 1:24 PM
Oct 2016
Very cute episode
Dec 16, 2022 3:55 PM

May 2018
ayo was Ataru a tsundere the entire time
Dec 16, 2022 4:29 PM

Feb 2012
Ah yes, Tigress woman voiced by Lum's original VA has landed for the PT meeting. Lum's a little rusty with translation when conveying Mendou's mother's words to her own (the butler is upset the lady asks her son directly to do tasks). Wrong kind of proposal.

Dismissing Lum before she could explain something important (her passport as she's an Alien), Ataru is faced with at least a week without his wife. Ataru went to all the places they interacted, the riverbank where they held hands, the restaurant where Lum pretended to be a different girl so Ataru wouldn't be the victim of his classmate's cruel prank.. Once she's back, it's same old same old to him but with the doll with the microphone, she knows...

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Dec 16, 2022 5:31 PM
May 2017
Loved this episode
Dec 16, 2022 8:26 PM

Jun 2012
That second half was actually really sweet, definitely one of the best parts so far. There was a lot more focus on the characters, which feels a bit jarring because they seem a lot more real compared to how they've been in previous episodes. The original was more gradual in building up to this point. Speaking of the episode in the original, it was darker and more raw whereas this one is a lot more warm, and it doesn't hit as hard because you don't get as much a sense of Ataru's pain. No Kokoroi Bosoi Na, but the music is still nice on the emotional scenes.
Shoot first, think never.
Dec 16, 2022 8:44 PM
Apr 2022
Mommy Lum >>>>> Lum
Dec 17, 2022 3:15 AM
Sep 2018
So a near battle of the milfs and Ataru becoming emotional that Lum was not there, it was so cute but sad enough!
Dec 17, 2022 7:39 PM
Sep 2019
Does anyone know the ost at the end of episode?
Dec 17, 2022 8:27 PM

Mar 2019
I loved the entire episode. Thought the humor in the first part was the best we've seen so far. And the second part was as strong if not stronger than the episode where Lum gets into disguise to save Ataru from embarrassment when his friends write that fake letter. Fantastic work by David Pro. Really like the usage of colors in the scenes too.
Dec 17, 2022 8:39 PM
Aug 2021
Man I love seeing progress on this relationship
Dec 18, 2022 6:42 AM

Oct 2008
i know that this is the 10th episode but i really have to say this: The way Lum speaks is really annoying!
1/5.

Dec 18, 2022 11:48 PM
John Titor

Jul 2017
First half was very characteristic of David Productions style: flashy palettes, multiple colorful kana characters representing sounds and, of course, a Jojo reference. Nice to see Lum's mom appear. Effectively, Ataru ended up being such a tsundere in the second half. Very typical development for the Rumiko Takahashi's romcom style. It was a nice and touching episode.
Mi música chiptune (auténtica, no fakebit) / My chiptune music (real, no fakebit)
YouTube
Battle of the Bits
SoundCloud
Dec 19, 2022 4:43 AM
Sep 2021
It reveals Ataru is secretly a tsundere in a perfect way.
Dec 19, 2022 12:25 PM

Apr 2022
MrKazhim10 said:
personally i would expect a war between Lum's mother and Mendo's mother but felt a bit disappointed

there was in the original series
Dec 20, 2022 6:13 PM
Nov 2022
0451 said:
Very good episode. But there were some things that kept it from being a "great" episode. Let me explain.

I think this episode showcases the "problem" with this Remake very well. It's faithful to the manga almost to a fault. Usually, manga accuracy for anime is a good thing. But there were a few points in this episode where David Production could've taken some creative liberties to enhance the experience even more. Yes, the Remake does make changes but only when it's absolutely necessary. Otherwise it's a pretty safe and straightforward adaptation of the manga compared to its 1981 counterpart. Not saying all the changes in the og show were good but they were commendable IMO and some even improved upon the source material.

Lum's Mother is voiced by none other than the OG Lum herself, Fumi Hirano. It was very nostalgic hearing her again! My only issue was that the last episode had a very misleading post-credits scene. It implied that Ataru's Dad, who's voiced by the OG Ataru, Toshio Furukawa was going to be in 'Parents' Day Horrors' instead of Ataru's mom but it was just bait. So it was disappointing that the OG Ataru and Lum couldn't get any sort of reunion scene in this Remake which obviously would've been fanservice but I'm sure everyone would've loved it.

The 2nd part 'Since Your Parting' adapts arguably the most beloved Urusei Yatsura story of all time. The original 1982 adaptation episode 44 was voted to be the best episode of the entire Urusei Yatsura series once in 1986 before the final episode aired (and was rebroadcast as episode 194) and then a 2nd time in the Rumic mega poll in 2019 in Japan. So David Production had a lot to live up to. And I'd say they largely succeeded cause this was by far the most beautiful episode of the Remake. It's obvious the production value was higher for this episode than the others. I'd say it exceeded my expectations. We even got a similar scene to what made the original episode 44 so special but only one thing was missing, the insert song "Kokorobosoi na". I think if the Remake episode of Since Your Parting was one whole episode it could've had its own version of "Kokorobosoi na" (of course the song would probably be something else) but what we got was still pretty damn good. But I just think the original episode 44 directed by Mamoru Oshii is still unbeaten.

If you're a Remake-only then do yourself a favor and watch episode 44 "After You've Gone" of the original Urusei Yatsura. I promise it'll be worth it.

This episode set the bar high for me. I can't wait for future Urusei Yatsura episodes. They have the potential to be even better than this episode.

Next week it's Ryoko time baby!

Thanks for explanation!
Dec 20, 2022 8:39 PM

Jan 2018
AIonso said:
0451 said:
Very good episode. But there were some things that kept it from being a "great" episode. Let me explain.

I think this episode showcases the "problem" with this Remake very well. It's faithful to the manga almost to a fault. Usually, manga accuracy for anime is a good thing. But there were a few points in this episode where David Production could've taken some creative liberties to enhance the experience even more. Yes, the Remake does make changes but only when it's absolutely necessary. Otherwise it's a pretty safe and straightforward adaptation of the manga compared to its 1981 counterpart. Not saying all the changes in the og show were good but they were commendable IMO and some even improved upon the source material.

Lum's Mother is voiced by none other than the OG Lum herself, Fumi Hirano. It was very nostalgic hearing her again! My only issue was that the last episode had a very misleading post-credits scene. It implied that Ataru's Dad, who's voiced by the OG Ataru, Toshio Furukawa was going to be in 'Parents' Day Horrors' instead of Ataru's mom but it was just bait. So it was disappointing that the OG Ataru and Lum couldn't get any sort of reunion scene in this Remake which obviously would've been fanservice but I'm sure everyone would've loved it.

The 2nd part 'Since Your Parting' adapts arguably the most beloved Urusei Yatsura story of all time. The original 1982 adaptation episode 44 was voted to be the best episode of the entire Urusei Yatsura series once in 1986 before the final episode aired (and was rebroadcast as episode 194) and then a 2nd time in the Rumic mega poll in 2019 in Japan. So David Production had a lot to live up to. And I'd say they largely succeeded cause this was by far the most beautiful episode of the Remake. It's obvious the production value was higher for this episode than the others. I'd say it exceeded my expectations. We even got a similar scene to what made the original episode 44 so special but only one thing was missing, the insert song "Kokorobosoi na". I think if the Remake episode of Since Your Parting was one whole episode it could've had its own version of "Kokorobosoi na" (of course the song would probably be something else) but what we got was still pretty damn good. But I just think the original episode 44 directed by Mamoru Oshii is still unbeaten.

If you're a Remake-only then do yourself a favor and watch episode 44 "After You've Gone" of the original Urusei Yatsura. I promise it'll be worth it.

This episode set the bar high for me. I can't wait for future Urusei Yatsura episodes. They have the potential to be even better than this episode.

Next week it's Ryoko time baby!

Thanks for explanation!
No problem.
SMtHl said:
It reveals Ataru is secretly a tsundere in a perfect way.
People wrongly attribute Lum as the "first tsundere" because of reading it on Wikipedia when it was Ataru all along.
Dec 22, 2022 4:17 AM

May 2021
Aww shucks, this episode was way too adorable. Too bad Ataru is going to go back to his usual shenanigans starting next episode but at least now I know who the first tsundere was.

Dec 22, 2022 4:38 AM
Oct 2019
This is the best episode so far.

Lum OG VA voicing Lum Mother?
That's amazing.

The feels, Ataru finally realized he missed Lum so much.
That was so cute, i love it.

Ataru Tsundere confirmed?
Dec 22, 2022 2:32 PM
Oct 2016
The soundtracks in this episode were especially beautiful
Dec 25, 2022 9:32 PM

Jan 2022
I was thinking for 9 episode that this wasn't a very deep anime and pretty generic episodic anime telling old fashioned jokes, it was alright but nothing too much. This episode, however, it was GOOD, it makes me realise the small bits that makes this anime enjoyable, and how the dynamic is very important between the characters. It was nice.
I like everything, ok
Dec 26, 2022 2:41 PM

Aug 2017
Nice to see Lum's mother visit earth to see her daughter in the parent-teacher conference.

Very wholesome moment.

Also funny how Lum's mother destroyed Mendo's mom's oxcart. And Mendo's mom wants her son to complain for her. Lum tries to translates Mendo's mom's words to her mother but it all came off to a misunderstanding lol. Translations gone wrong. 

Later into the episode, Lum says bye bye to Ataru and leaves during the night. Only leaving her self made doll for him to reminiscence.
Her disappearing made it unintentionally emotional for Ataru as he starts to miss her. Luckily for Ataru, the doll had a microphone chipped so Lum could hear him crying for her.
Lum shortly returns to earth with hopefully a renewed passport.
 The camera shots of the fall leaves and the music  as she makes her return displays a tender moment. You could briefly see Ataru's face feeling relief.  I thought something special was gonna happen but Ataru brush it off and walks to school like it was nothing. Lum definitely noticed tho as she clings to him.

Dec 27, 2022 2:19 PM
Jan 2021
I love Moroboshi's Trusndere Behavior.
I feel like their relationship is growing more and more and I love the fact that he actually miss her when she was busy with the passport.
Dec 28, 2022 2:05 AM
Jan 2017
Nice. Both plot were really good. Hope it keeps up.
Dec 28, 2022 3:10 PM

Jun 2021
Even if i can't remember all of the original 16 and 44 episodes (seen respectively in 2019 and early 2021) and especially the latter has been cut in half, this was very enjoyable.

Couldn't even remember that Mendo's mother was actually a character and her looks are so improved, even if she has her own way to be weird as it runs in the family. Fumi Hirano returns as the mother of her original character and still sounds fresh, it's amazing, and also a nice passing the torch scene to Sumire Uesaka who is doing a good job. Even if... no appearance of Ataru's father and his son's original seiyuu, it seemed teased and instead... "Is this  all the screen time I g..-?" ok, that was funny, but he still had more of his dad that so many people expected to show up for very particular reasons.

Second half... afraid it will lose its value again 'cause status quo is god and Ataru will never actually learn, but it was again a well portrayed "can't live with her, can't live without her" plot no matter how he seemed out of character, crying, feeling empty, and looking for her in already historical settings of the remake even if just 10 episodes in. Mendo.. with such a private army he can literally have grass cut, it was funny how Mamoru Miyano sort of slipped into his other character Kotaro Tatsumi with those yells, but all's well what ends well.

... so the parents in Japan wear those elegant traditional clothes even for the meetings with teachers? Ataru's mom looked so good once again.
Dec 28, 2022 5:06 PM

Sep 2020
i loved this i think i cri a little
Jan 3, 2023 3:37 PM
Jan 2023
Ut was so sad :(( but so romantic at the same time :,)
Jan 5, 2023 3:11 AM

May 2020
Ah yes the best way to avoid humiliation on parent-teachers day is to make sure it doesn't even start in the first place. Well played Lum's mom.. way to save your son in law.

Second part went with the feels. At the very least we saw Ataru genuinely cares about Lum.
Jan 5, 2023 2:13 PM

Jan 2020
The bit with the mothers was pretty amusing. Though, Mendo's mom seems ridiculous.

And, in the second half, as always, poor Lum.

The part with that Lum plush in Ataru's pocket was legitimately sad. Too bad, even if she comes back, I doubt he'll appreciate her.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Jan 6, 2023 5:17 AM

Jun 2019
This episode was so fcking sweet. I teared up there at the end. Lum is so sweet and Ataru doesn't realize that he cares for her. You don't appreciate what you have till you lose it. Also, Lum's mom is beautiful.
Jan 13, 2023 3:21 PM

May 2018
Yeah and don't forget that Lum is one of the candidates for Rum!

By the way in the original Fumi Hirano voiced not only Lum, but also her mother...so this is meta and in the same time reprise.
Jan 15, 2023 5:07 AM

Jun 2015
Man, didn't expect to be touched by a gag anime.
uh oh!
Jan 16, 2023 12:52 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Wonderful adaptation. So true to the manga.

And it's great to hear the original Lum as well. SO happy that they invited her in to work on this.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 18, 2023 4:20 AM

Jul 2022
When I saw that doll, I knew it's going to be "Forget me not" episode.
Mar 21, 2023 9:47 PM

Jan 2015
That second half was the best segment so far, I'd say. Hits that thing I really like in comedy series like this where they add emotional weight to the silly characters without dropping the wackiness on their personalities, but having it add to the story. Other example on my mind is Osomatsu-san, haha. Super wonderfully paced segment.
Apr 13, 2023 12:09 PM
May 2020
I almost teared up when she came back to earth. Damn it.
Jul 24, 2023 11:18 AM
May 2023
WE GOT TO SEE HOW ATARU CARES
Aug 11, 2023 11:51 PM
Feb 2021
The only anime episode that made me cry this much
Mar 22, 7:35 PM

May 2022
That second part of this episode was cute. Ataru really appreciates the time he pass with Lum, he just don't want to admit.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 5, 2023

68 by Kiikani »»
May 16, 1:34 PM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2022

142 by 3rez »»
Apr 26, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2022

154 by red1130 »»
Apr 17, 9:51 AM

» Does this get better or the overall feel of the series can be sensed in it's first episodes?

BiobulletM - Mar 12

7 by 0451 »»
Apr 13, 5:22 AM

Poll: » Urusei Yatsura (2022) Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 16, 2023

52 by adaminop »»
Apr 5, 9:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.