Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 13, 2022 7:02 PM
Aug 2021
Hi, i just finished watching the anime and i’d like to start reading, could anyone tell me from what volume to start? Thanks
Jun 16, 2022 7:56 AM
Jun 2020
Since nobody answered you yet and I happened to randomly find your post just now, allow me to give my opinion.
First: How is Bookworm organized:
Bookworm is a continuous story that comes in 5 parts and each part is split into several volumes. (with continuous story I mean that the ending point and the path to it was preplanned before the author started to write the first chapter)
Part 1 consists of 3 volumes (and is covered by season 1)
Part 2 consists of 4 volumes (and is covered by season 2 and 3)
Part 3 consists of 5 volumes (and is currently not covered by the anime)
Part 4 consists of 9 volumes (seven of which are currently translated)
Part 5 will consist of 12 volumes (nine of which have - as of yet- been released in Japanese)
The final volume is expected to be released mid 2023 in Japan
The translation is expected to be finished mid to end 2024.

Season 3 ends at the end of part 2. So one point to start would be Part 3 Volume 1. However! While the anime stayed true to the source material most of the time, there are enough divergences (especially in part 2) that starting with part 3 might be confusing.
Depending on your dedication I suggest that you start at least with part 2 volume 4 (especially since only about half of that book made it into the anime.
If you prefer a deeper understanding of the world and can accept to read through parts you already know I feel part 2 volume 1 is probably an even better starting point.
It is, in my opinion, not essential to start with part 1 (through naturally it too contains information not covered by the anime), but I think you can put this of until you start your first reread.
As a sidenote: When reading do not ignore the Side Story collections. The first one (title being a spoiler) will be released in English next month (and should not be read before Part 4 volume 3)
I hope this post was helpful. And: Welcome to Ascendance of a Bookworm!
Jun 17, 2022 11:04 AM

Jul 2013
I agree with everything the above poster mentioned!

I feel like it would be very worth reading Part 2 Vol 4 as well. It had me in literal tears for half of it. The anime didn't manage to make me feel anywhere near as emotional.

I think all of the light novels are worth reading, though. :) They add a surprising amount of depth. And the side stories at the end of every volume (stories told from other character's perspectives) are amazing!
Jul 12, 2022 7:29 PM
May 2020
I’m late to the post but other people may come looking for answers to a similar question.

At this point I’ve almost caught up to how much the anime has adapted. I would agree with above commenters and say that’s whilst the anime ends at after part 2 volume 4 (so part 3 volume 1 would be the next volume unadapted). I’d strongly recommend reading all of part 2 at the least as a lot of detail is skimmed or cut.

If your interested enough in the LN to read it then I’d simply recommend starting from part 1 volume 1 as all the side stories are really good but as I said, I consider part 2 onwards to be essential even if you’ve watched the anime.
Jan 28, 2023 3:59 AM

Nov 2013
sfloress said:
Hi, i just finished watching the anime and i’d like to start reading, could anyone tell me from what volume to start? Thanks
Honestly, I would recommend starting from the start, there are many details, lore and side stories that anime was unable to cover due to limited runtime.
You all need to watch Nami.

May 4, 2023 11:30 PM
Mar 2018
abystoma2 said:
Honestly, I would recommend starting from the start, there are many details, lore and side stories that anime was unable to cover due to limited runtime.

I agree with this. Vol 1 especially puts into further perspective how wrong it felt to suddenly gain the original Myne's memories. Also, every volume has a couple of chapters after the epilogue that are from other characters' perspectives, which helps build their characters more. Arno's chapter in Part 2 Vol. 4 is particularly worthwhile, as it gives Arno a bit more focus, as well as giving some extra backstory to Fran.
Sep 5, 2023 3:04 PM

Jul 2015
Good answers. While watching season 3, it did indeed feel like things were moving faster than usual so I suspected they had to cut or otherwise re-work the story. I'll wait for physical prints of the books and see how I feel about starting from the very beginning or for Vol 2.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen Chapter 31 Discussion

NiQ1 - Apr 16

4 by TheMidnightWolf »»
Apr 25, 10:05 AM

» Volume 30 (Part 5 Volume 9) Discussion

abystoma2 - Mar 26

1 by hayato_bun »»
Mar 26, 10:59 AM

» Part 3 will be receiving an anime adaptation

Knighthammer619 - Dec 6, 2023

10 by NiQ1 »»
Dec 11, 2023 3:53 PM

» Didn't this novel end?

UaEfAlCoN83 - Jun 9, 2020

14 by Yadava98 »»
Oct 8, 2023 12:15 PM

» [Light Novel] Part V (Five)

EkunSjy - Sep 10, 2022

36 by Hurwitz »»
Aug 26, 2023 4:12 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.