Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
May 2, 2022 5:59 PM
Sep 2019
Not much else to say. I watched the entire show without realizing Kino was a girl. That was three years ago. And now I just looked at the MAL description, and lo and behold lol. I wonder if I'd have any different view rewatching it now.
May 2, 2022 10:05 PM
Feb 2022
ngl I thought the same thing, I'm just now realizing it bc of you're post lmao
May 3, 2022 12:42 AM
Jul 2021
Hoping for a second season
May 3, 2022 1:48 AM

Aug 2017
That's the point. You're supposed to see kino as a guy
May 3, 2022 8:23 AM
Apr 2020
what he is a female
May 3, 2022 1:30 PM
Jan 2022
I thought Kino wasn't either (in the original at least)
May 4, 2022 11:15 AM
Mar 2021
Animeguineapig said:

in the original, they had lines implying kino was neither a boy or girl, "Please don't call me 'little boy'. I'm Kino." "Please don't call me 'miss'. I'm Kino." (or something like that i dont remember lol) in the Coliseum episodes, but the second line was removed in the remake. not sure why they did this though its pretty strange
May 4, 2022 11:17 AM

Feb 2021
Well, I too thought the same thing.
May 6, 2022 9:21 AM
Oct 2020
Haah, at first, i search for his(?) Old Version "Oh, Its A Boy" And then i found a ... Kino Open his clothes and use Female B and P. Then "Bro Wt- This one is Ga-"
May 8, 2022 8:58 PM
Jun 2013
There was actually a part in the show that gave this away. When the 2 guys were scoping people out to rob them. The one dude was like "oh wait, that's a girl! She's cute too"
Jun 9, 2022 6:05 PM

Jun 2010
jimmyfishhands said:
Animeguineapig said:

in the original, they had lines implying kino was neither a boy or girl, "Please don't call me 'little boy'. I'm Kino." "Please don't call me 'miss'. I'm Kino." (or something like that i dont remember lol) in the Coliseum episodes, but the second line was removed in the remake. not sure why they did this though its pretty strange

I believe the idea behind these lines is Kino is objecting to bad manners rather than being mistaken for the wrong sex, although there is probably a deliberate playfulness on the part of the author. Regardless, the prequel story "The Land of Adults" makes Kino's sex quite clear.

I believe Kino is supposed to be symbolically androgynous and of ambiguous age to cement her position as an observer (usually!) not personally involved in anything she witnesses, but as there logically would have to be an answer to this question, the answer simply provided the answer and then proceeded to have it matter little except for occasional jokes.
Jun 12, 2022 2:41 AM
Mar 2021
Fronzel said:
jimmyfishhands said:

I believe the idea behind these lines is Kino is objecting to bad manners rather than being mistaken for the wrong sex, although there is probably a deliberate playfulness on the part of the author. Regardless, the prequel story "The Land of Adults" makes Kino's sex quite clear.

I believe Kino is supposed to be symbolically androgynous and of ambiguous age to cement her position as an observer (usually!) not personally involved in anything she witnesses, but as there logically would have to be an answer to this question, the answer simply provided the answer and then proceeded to have it matter little except for occasional jokes.

>kino objecting to "little boy" and "miss" because theyre informal
possible, but unlikely
both english and japanese seem to imply that "im kino" is more of a rebuttal, and if theyre rejecting out of informality then simply "being kino" isnt exactly antithetical to that.
also, miss (or the japanese "ojosan" which was used) are both fairly formal, so i dont think thats possible for that one

>kinos sex was made clear
yeah it sure was. their birth name was also heavily implied if you paid close enough attention. this has nothing to do with my point of kino being non binary

>kino is simply a neutral observer
i guess? maybe its a choice to make it easier for any audience to project themselves onto. this would probably give more credence to kino being non binary though lol

edit: looking back and i think the line has also been translated as "missy" instead of "miss", which is more informal, so thats possible it was in terms of manners. still, i really dont think its likely that it is. ojosan is fairly formal, and still saying "im not missy. im kino" just seems strange to me
jimmyfishhandsJun 12, 2022 2:59 AM
Jun 20, 2022 6:25 AM

Feb 2017
jimmyfishhands said:
Fronzel said:

>kino objecting to "little boy" and "miss" because theyre informal
possible, but unlikely
both english and japanese seem to imply that "im kino" is more of a rebuttal, and if theyre rejecting out of informality then simply "being kino" isnt exactly antithetical to that.
also, miss (or the japanese "ojosan" which was used) are both fairly formal, so i dont think thats possible for that one

>kinos sex was made clear
yeah it sure was. their birth name was also heavily implied if you paid close enough attention. this has nothing to do with my point of kino being non binary

>kino is simply a neutral observer
i guess? maybe its a choice to make it easier for any audience to project themselves onto. this would probably give more credence to kino being non binary though lol

edit: looking back and i think the line has also been translated as "missy" instead of "miss", which is more informal, so thats possible it was in terms of manners. still, i really dont think its likely that it is. ojosan is fairly formal, and still saying "im not missy. im kino" just seems strange to me
ojou-san is fairly formal?

nope, not at all

especially when kino is an adult woman
May 27, 3:57 AM
Jul 2021
Probably he was ..... Until the "modern audiences" stepped in and they/studio/author bended the knee
Me every time I hear the word "reparations": 🤣🤣🤣

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2017

148 by the_v1gor »»
Jun 25, 8:50 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2017

130 by croberto »»
Jun 7, 9:18 PM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 24, 2017

76 by Dawizz »»
May 27, 4:01 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 10, 2017

104 by Dawizz »»
May 27, 4:00 AM

Poll: » Kino no Tabi: The Beautiful World - The Animated Series Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2017

255 by Dawizz »»
May 27, 3:59 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.