Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Erased
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 11, 2021 2:44 AM
Apr 2021
- TL;DR (too long; didn't read) at the end if you want -

Hi, I'm new to MAL in general, and in particular this is my first ever forum post (if that's what this is called). Furthermore I'm relatively new to anime series too.

Long story short, I really like this anime and I'm searching for a similar anime series (or TV show).

So I thought this was the right place (correct me if I'm wrong) to ask you all anime experts out there for a recommendation: I'd like to watch a short anime (like up to 30 episodes) with a mystery/thriller/psychological and self-contained story, which may or may not contain supernatural elements, given they are not too "heavy" (for example, in this anime I'd consider supernatural elements to be "light", because they are limited to the main character, while the other characters behave like normal human beings and there are no spells or magical weapons around).

I trusted MAL's reccomendations section for this anime and watched some other shows with high ratings, but they were not what I was looking for, for example I watched "Steins;Gate" (which was good but didn't nail the ending like "Erased"/"Boku dake ga Inai Machi") and "Death Note" (which was good too but had the same ending problem, plus I won't consider it to be as good as this one, or at least it is not what I'm looking for).

I was considering watching "Yakusoku no Neverland" / "The Promised Neverland" and "Charlotte" but I'm not 100% convinced given some reviews and the fact that they might not be self-contained (meaning they might not have a satisfying ending, hence the story might continue in a following season)

Thank you to everyone who bothered to read till this point, and thank you to everyone who is willing to help :D

TL;DR: I'm looking for a psychological/thriller/mystery self-contained anime like this one, with less than 30 episodes (I already watched Steins;Gate and I'm not necessarily looking for "time travel" or supernatural animes)
VD14Apr 11, 2021 4:23 AM
Apr 11, 2021 3:17 AM

Aug 2015
Maybe try Parasyte, it feels very similar but without time-traveling aspect.
Apr 11, 2021 3:32 AM
Apr 2020
Made In Abyss Is A Great Series :D
Apr 11, 2021 3:37 AM

May 2020
I would recommend Yuukoku no Moriarty which has a second-cour of its first season coming up! It’s a dark mystery-thriller that functions more thematically than as a mystery. I personally found it to be pretty good in terms of semi-episodic story and characters like the main ‘protagonist’ and later introduced ‘antagonist’.

signature by
nightshadekait
Apr 11, 2021 3:54 AM

Jun 2016
Hey, Welcome to MAL!
If you are looking for a good psychological thriller then Paranoia Agent (Mousou Dairinin) is a perfect pick (In my opinion) it's a series that focuses about several issues withing the japanese society And it does include some of those light supernatural elements. It partakes in some heavy themes but it's really good.

Hope this helps!
☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
Apr 11, 2021 4:08 AM
Oct 2020
Steins gate is increadable, it is a bit longer if you decide to watch steins gate zero as well (its not neccery if you dont want to). The first 8 episodes, while still good, can be somewhat slow. Overall its honestly is my favorite show of all time
Apr 11, 2021 4:12 AM
Feb 2021
Valerio14 said:
Hi, I'm new to MAL in general, and in particular this is my first ever forum post (if that's what this is called). Furthermore I'm relatively new to anime series too.

Long story short, I really like this anime and I'm searching for a similar anime series (or TV show).

So I thought this was the right place (correct me if I'm wrong) to ask you all anime experts out there for a recommendation: I'd like to watch a short anime (like up to 30 episodes) with a mystery/thriller/psychological and self-contained story, which may or may not contain supernatural elements, given they are not too "heavy" (for example, in this anime I'd consider supernatural elements to be "light", because they are limited to the main character, while the other characters behave like normal human beings and there are no spells or magical weapons around).

I trusted MAL's reccomendations section for this anime and watched some other shows with high ratings, but they were not what I was looking for, for example I watched "Steins;Gate" (which was good but didn't nail the ending like "Erased"/"Boku dake ga Inai Machi") and "Death Note" (which was good too but had the same ending problem, plus I won't consider it to be as good as this one, or at least it is not what I'm looking for).

I was considering watching "Yakusoku no Neverland" / "The Promised Neverland" and "Charlotte" but I'm not 100% convinced given some reviews and the fact that they might not be self-contained (meaning they might not have a satisfying ending, hence the story might continue in a following season)

Thank you to everyone who bothered to read till this point, and thank you to everyone who is willing to help :D

I’m sorry to say this anime is 1 in a million, nothing compares to this masterpiece!!!
Apr 11, 2021 4:25 AM
Jul 2020
"Another" might be what you searching for, even tho hated by a large group of mal user, I like the plot and it looks beautiful.
Apr 11, 2021 4:28 AM
Oct 2020
I would say Tokyo revengers but there is only one episode so far.
Apr 11, 2021 4:39 AM
Feb 2021
Valerio14 said:

TL;DR: I'm looking for a psychological/thriller/mystery self-contained anime like this one, with less than 30 episodes (I already watched Steins;Gate and I'm not necessarily looking for "time travel" or supernatural animes)

Watch death note... it's 37 episodes but it would blow your mind. there is not time travel like the one u like but has the other stuff like mystery psychological and thriller elements in it. it's too good. trust me.
Apr 11, 2021 4:42 AM

Oct 2020
ttek9 said:
I would say Tokyo revengers but there is only one episode so far.

Yeah definitely Tokyo Revengers, and it has potential to even surpass the Erased I would say. Has a lot of potential all Erased fans should check it out!
処刑課師匠
Apr 11, 2021 4:48 AM
Aug 2019
Promise neverland is complete and you should definitely watch season 1 it is a masterpiece.

Someone mentioned Moriarty the patriot early and I highly recommend. Don't know if you've every watched sherlock holmes but the anime follows his brilliant nemesis Moriarty.

Another anime that fits your criteria is baccano but I wouldn't call it "like erased" but it's a different type of pshyc,mys, thriller. The episodes piece together like parts of a puzzle so if you don't get what's going on after the first few episodes it's okay. But I think you will enjoy sitting down and analyzing everything that happened and piecing it together at the end.
Apr 11, 2021 4:51 AM
Nov 2017
Hi welcome, this is going to be my first answer on here too. The Promised Neverland while good will probably not satisfy you, also Charlotte is very "self-contained" and it's ending is great, but both of these anime are pretty heavy when it comes to the supernatural aspect. If you want something very similar to Erased I would recommend Tokyo Revengers it's first episode just came out and it seems really promising. Good luck and tell us how it went.
Apr 11, 2021 5:02 AM
Dec 2020
A sure fire way to find similar anime to erased would be to look at its recommendations section.
Apr 11, 2021 5:04 AM
Dec 2020
Tokyo Revengers started airing yesterday and it's a guy which goes back in time to save a girl and joins a gang which is supposed to kill her in the future. You can watch it on Crunchyroll. It has almost all the aspects of Erased.
Apr 11, 2021 5:48 AM

Dec 2013
Valerio14 said:

What about the ending did you like with Erased that you didn’t quite think was achieved in DN or S;G?

Here are some recs:
.Devilman Crybaby
.In;Spectre
.Shinsekai Yori

By self contained do you mean just one season and no second season type of thing?

Also I agree with the Moriarty recommendation. It’s more detective and mystery orientated - basically if you like Sherlock Holmes or similar stuff, this is more than perfect.
Apr 11, 2021 6:58 AM
Oct 2017
the only anime that i can recommend based on your description is another

its a psychological horror anime that has some gore in it too, it is supernatural tho
Apr 11, 2021 7:01 AM
Apr 2020
Hello and welcome to MAL! If you're looking for an anime that is similar as this one, I will recommend steins;gate, the promised neverland, devil survivor 2 the animation, devilman crybaby, and the recent release Tokyo Revengers. Tokyo Revengers has only just aired today and it's already really great :)
Apr 11, 2021 7:14 AM
Feb 2021
I'm going to try recommending some that I haven't seen mentioned already. just finished Baccano! and Death Parade. Would recommend these highly based on your preferences.
Apr 11, 2021 7:22 AM
Aug 2016
Banana fish, the jojo bizarre adventure series,ATTACK ON TITAN, blue exorcist, death note,demon slayer, death parade, fire force, jujutsu Kaisen,noragami that’s just a few
Apr 11, 2021 7:58 AM

Jan 2021
Try Orange. It is a heartwarming story about school friends and past regrets with a teeny tiny bit of time travel. well sort of.
Apr 11, 2021 7:59 AM

Jan 2021
Marcelb04 said:
Banana fish, the jojo bizarre adventure series,ATTACK ON TITAN, blue exorcist, death note,demon slayer, death parade, fire force, jujutsu Kaisen,noragami that’s just a few

dude did you even read what the guy asked for? none of those anime are remotely like erased.
Apr 11, 2021 8:54 AM

Jul 2020
Tokyo revengers is exactly the anime you're looking for.I personally haven't seen Erased but I've seem quite a few people comparing Tokyo revengers to Erased.I bet you'll love it.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Apr 11, 2021 9:08 AM
Aug 2016
certifiedbinger said:
Marcelb04 said:

dude did you even read what the guy asked for? none of those anime are remotely like erased.
why do it matter I just gave him some great anime to watch there aren’t even many anime like erased anyway and yo ass might as well comment on everybody post then people giving out all types of suggestions that dnt match erased, come on bro
Apr 11, 2021 9:45 AM
Apr 2020
Tokyo Revengers only has one episode so far but from reading the manga I can say it's better than Erased.
Apr 11, 2021 10:01 AM
Apr 2021
Thank you to everyone, out of the many anime you suggested, "Made in abyss", "The Promised Neverland", "Baccano" and "Orange" piqued my interest the most, so I think I'm going to watch them first and then come back here to remember the name of the other suggestions ("Yuukoku no Moriarty", "Paranoia Agent", "Another", ecc...).

"Tokyo Revengers" is on my watchlist too, but I don't think I'm going to start it right now as it is not yet fully aired (I like binge watching these types of show and complete them in 2 or 3 days), so I'll have to wait for it to end.

Also I watched "Steins;Gate" and "Death Note" already, as I wrote on the post (it's my fault though for writing such a long one, like this after all), but thank you to everyone who suggested them anyways :D
Apr 11, 2021 10:06 AM

Feb 2021
tokyo revengers, it has one episode so far but it also includes time traveling.
Apr 11, 2021 11:57 AM

Dec 2020
Valerio14 said:

There’s an anime that started airing yesterday called Tokyo Revengers. It has similar time travel elements like Erased but has some shonen in it and the plot so far is simple (haven’t read the manga) so I recommend it.

If you are looking for psychological and thriller, then I recommend Parasyte, Another or Higurashi (2006).

Hope this helps,
Thanks
Apr 11, 2021 12:07 PM
Jan 2021
Watch Tokyo Revengers
It's just started and while watching the first episode all I could think was how similar it is to Erased
Apr 11, 2021 12:10 PM
Jun 2020
Valerio14 said:

Death note, promised never land s1, Tokyo revengers, code geasse. If u can handle a longer one monster is a psychological thriller master piece.
Apr 11, 2021 12:33 PM
Nov 2020
If you like psychological, the first season of TPN is great. The 2nd season doesn’t hold up and is much less psychological.

If you want psychological, give talentless nana a go. If you want some time loop stuff, re:zero is incredible
Apr 11, 2021 1:58 PM
Jul 2020
Shinsekai Yori (From the New World), Made in Abyss, and The Promised Neverland all probably have what you are looking for. Out of these shows, Shinsekai Yori is the one I recommend most for the mystery and tense atmosphere. Made in Abyss is excellent but outside of the sequel movie, isn’t over yet. And we don’t talk about TPN2.
Apr 11, 2021 8:38 PM
Jan 2021
I would recommend terror in resonance. Erased was one of the first animes i watched and i feel in loved with it it gave me a feeling that no other gave me until i watched Terror In Resonance. I got the same vibes that i got from erased and i liked it a lot.
Apr 11, 2021 8:39 PM
Jan 2021
I would recommend terror in resonance. Erased was one of the first animes i watched and i feel in loved with it it gave me a feeling that no other gave me until i watched Terror In Resonance. I got the same vibes that i got from erased and i liked it a lot.
Apr 11, 2021 10:00 PM
Oct 2020
Anime like Erased?
I would normally suggest Steins; Gate over anything, but assuming you're new(?) to anime, why not try re-life?
It is a really good mix of human drama, romance, and everything that is in Boku ha Inai Machi (Erased). I'm sure you'll love it.
Apr 11, 2021 10:28 PM
Oct 2020
Myb these which I found psychological:
Angel beats
Another
Anohana
Death parade
Durarara
Grisaia series (my favourite)
Parasyte
One outs
Seven senses of re'union
A certain magical/scientific series
Classroom of the Elite

Myb section:
Golden time
Kokoro connect
The irregular at magic high school
Persona 5 the animation
Relife
Rascal does not dream of bunnygirl senpai
Shinrei tantei yakumo

Also Great teacher onizuka but it's not related to any of this it is just amazing.
Apr 11, 2021 10:28 PM
May 2020
Tokyo Revengers just aired its first episode this Saturday
Apr 11, 2021 11:26 PM
Jul 2020
Try "Another" its an good thriller, mystery Anime
Apr 11, 2021 11:28 PM
Sep 2019
Yeah so basically Jojo part 4 has some great psychology with its main villain
Apr 12, 2021 12:38 AM
Aug 2013
Tokyo Revengers is basically Erased but with Middle School gangs. Still leaping back and forth in time to prevent a murder. If you like manliness and romance it has a lot of that, but not as eerie as Erased. The anime just began airing yesterday and there's a live-action movie coming later this year. (The manga is the best though!!)
Apr 12, 2021 2:51 AM
Jan 2021
Maybe terror in Resonance that series is a pretty good thriller and mystery
Apr 12, 2021 7:58 AM
Aug 2020
Tokyo Revengers is the closest thing I think of, like literally straight up the same plot. Redoing mistakes of the past
Apr 15, 2021 2:01 AM
Aug 2019
Zankyou no Terror is a Good Recommendation

More topics from this board

» Kobayashi, Kenya question (Spoilers!!!)

xZabuzax - Jun 5

4 by Belegstrongbow15 »»
Jun 12, 3:20 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2016

587 by MrList »»
Jun 11, 4:42 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2016

834 by MrList »»
Jun 10, 9:15 PM

» About the ending!!

Reckless_weeb - Feb 25

23 by xZabuzax »»
Jun 5, 8:08 PM

Poll: » Boku dake ga Inai Machi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2016

1404 by xZabuzax »»
Jun 5, 3:02 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.